PDA

View Full Version : Todays Knitty Gritty (rant)

Mienna
04-26-2006, 11:56 AM
http://www.diynet.com/diy/shows_dkng/episode/0,2046,DIY_18180_36324,00.html
Their guest on there today said that Aran knit sweaters were NOT made for fishermen at sea, blahblah. I don't want to sound like a raving lunatic but I have several sites that are specifically for Aran patterns that are used by different clans/families, this (http://www.diynet.com/diy/shows_dkng/episode/0,2046,DIY_18180_36324,00.html) being one of them. I'm not sure how she can say it's not used for that when that site and many, many others disagree, but maybe I'm bassackwards.

Alright, I'm done ranting, thanks.

cozy
04-26-2006, 12:12 PM
I didn't see the show, but I heard the same thing as you about Arans. Each family/clan had their own unique pattern to identify the fisherman if he was lost at sea & later found. Just out of curiosity, what did she say Aran was for?

Mienna
04-26-2006, 12:16 PM
She just said they were used for attractive sweater patterns, I'll have to rewatch it in a few to get exactly what she said.

feministmama
04-26-2006, 07:37 PM
She just said they were used for attractive sweater patterns

WWWWHHHHHAAAAAA???? THat's not right. There's whole history books about Aran and its relationship to Irish clans and stuff. She's bent.

Nikki
04-26-2006, 07:43 PM
"She's bent."

:roflhard: :roflhard:
Nikki

Mienna
04-26-2006, 07:45 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: I couldn't have said it better myself, Femi!

humblestumble
04-26-2006, 08:28 PM
I didnt see the show either, but that's pretty weird. Maybe she just meant thats not the origination of why its called aran knitting or something. I found this quote on the website

Aran knitting (sometimes referred to as fisherman knitting) is thought by many to be an ancient form of family identification, but it actually had its beginnings among the inhabitants of the Aran Islands in the early 20th century.

dustinac
04-26-2006, 11:02 PM
I saw that episode last fall I think :thinking: anyways I remeber when she said that I was like :shock: what?? cause I had always heard the clan thing.. forgot about it till I read this so went off to google and found this link/blog (http://www.irishcultureandcustoms.com/AEmblem/Sweaters.html)

who knew a dropped stitch in socks would lead to sweaters... :??

knittingdoula
04-27-2006, 02:42 AM
Am I the only one who's been less than impressed with that show anyway? So many of their projects are so completely cheesy. I dunno. I'm just not bowled over by the show at all.

Alison

IrishBaby
04-27-2006, 06:11 AM
I am a knitting history lover (and Irish to boot), and was disappointed to see that the leading scholars agree that the identification at sea theory was not actually true. It may have been a de facto consequence, but it wasn't intended.

However, the cables were more than just attractive stitch patterns. They were used to add warmth to the sweater, to make the sweater thicker. There is some evidence that different stitches have different meanings as well. For example, the Trinity stitch was used to provide the protection of the Holy Trinity over the wearer of the sweater.

Also keep in mind that it rains a lot in Ireland, and being at sea would require a lot of exposure to water. Wool is wonderful in that it can absorb 30% of its weight before it starts feeling wet, it's naturally antimicrobial, and it's one of the few fibers that still insulates when it's wet. So you can wear a wet wool sweater, and it will still keep you warm. So a thick wool sweater would have been not just attractive, but extremely practical as well.

Sorry for the novel!

HeatherFeather
04-27-2006, 07:52 AM
Alison,

Not so much a fan myself. When they did the knitty cam, it would be in the WRONG POSITION.....like if I was facing you...if I want to SEE how the stitch is done, show it to me like I was doing the work, so I don't have to do this crazy flip flop thing in my brain...

(but of COURSE I'll watch Amy's show!!!! lol)

Angelia
04-27-2006, 09:30 AM
Every once in awhile the shows are really interesting and I learn a lot. My two favorites, and ones definitely worth saving somewhere, are the one with Sally Melville going through "Sally's Favorite Summer Sweater" (nifty seaming demonstration), and the one with Lily Chin demonstrating different stitch patterns and knitting tricks. Mostly, though, the things knit on there I would never waste yarn knitting for myself or anyone else.

knitstress_tygher
04-27-2006, 09:33 AM
I'm pretty sure they're right about it not being an -ancient- technique, which is what the woman said .. though I disliked her as a guest.

As for the show ..

... first, the knitty cam is shown directly above the guest, looking down as if you were doing the knitting, not from the other side.

... second, it's been helpful for a lot of people, myself included, as well as the friend I taught to knit. I rather enjoy the host also, and while most of the projects aren't things I'd make, the techniques and such are exceptionally helpful, and I'm able to take what I see on the show and apply it to other projects. I don't think it's fair to say it's 'completely cheesy' just because it's not to your taste.

dustinac
04-27-2006, 09:38 AM
I really enjoy the show love Vickie's personality..However my tivo is getting tired of reruns :mad: . the show did help me with socks and the fingerless gloves... I liked the sweater guide too and the last show Chin did where she showed ya how to correct things and how to do different CO was a big help... :?? I'm confused on the camera shot though cause I've always seen it like I would be doing it... not like I'm watching them which is how knit one, purl two is well if you even see the needle on that show your in shock :lol:

Has anyone caught the new show Styleocious or something like Vickie is sometimes on that one its pretty neat they show how to take vintage clothing and re do them... or last time showed how to make totes.. :thumbsup:

HeatherFeather
04-27-2006, 09:45 AM
.. first, the knitty cam is shown directly above the guest, looking down as if you were doing the knitting, not from the other side.

they must have changed it then, because all the shows I saw, it was upside down, and that's the reason I quit watching the show.

Mienna
04-27-2006, 09:51 AM
I do enjoy the show a lot of the time, but that could be because it helps for me to see someone knitting to understand what's going on. I really enjoyed the shows on Spinning and Dying (figures I'd watch a knitting show for the OTHER stuff they do). I like the tips and tricks the guest give sometimes, it's helped me neaten up my knitting quite a bit, I think.

Celine
04-28-2006, 12:50 PM
I liked the stories behind the sweater patterns before the girl said none of it was true!! I also make quilts and it reminds me of how many people say there was NO underground railroad stories where people hung out certain quilts with hidden meaning to help slaves escape etc. Some people say it was true while others say it was not. I like thinking it was true. :heart:

HollyP
04-28-2006, 01:46 PM
I also make quilts and it reminds me of how many people say there was NO underground railroad stories where people hung out certain quilts with hidden meaning to help slaves escape etc. Some people say it was true while others say it was not. I like thinking it was true. :heart:
I just went to an exhibit of underground railroad quilts and reproductions. I am with you thinking that they probably did use them. Maybe they didn't but it makes sense that they would have!

As for Aran I like the story even if it's not true! It makes it all seem so much more interesting than we needed thicker sweaters.