PDA

View Full Version : Branching Out KAL

Skater
04-28-2006, 05:13 PM
I thought for sure I'd find a Branching Out (http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTbranchingout.html) scarf knit-along here, but I didn't, so I'd like to start one. Okay, I've got a head start, but I'm making enough mistakes, so I know others will catch up quickly! Or maybe some people have already started theirs, and want to talk about it and/or show pictures of their progress.

I'm using Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool (gold color), and have about 9 inches done.

I have Nicky Epstein's book "Knitting on the Edge," and have decided to try knitting on the leaf fringe from it when I'm finished. I think the hanging leaves will fit right it. I don't know if I'll make the leaves all gold, too, or make a few green for interest. I'd have to buy more yarn for just those few leaves, so I probably won't. I'm trying to use up the yarn I have.

Anybody else want to join in?

rebecca
04-28-2006, 06:41 PM
:D Oh, yeah, I loved knitting my Branching Out..I've got to knit socks to match it ;) I would love to knit another one, but I'm knitting gifts now...I may have to squeeze one in ;)

Celine
04-29-2006, 05:05 AM
I just completed knitting that scarf two days ago :cheering: :cheering: and it came out beautiful!! I used mint green Baby Alpaca and its as soft as whipped cream.

I went back to my LYS to buy the same yarn in blue but she didn't have that color. So I chose something else in blue. Its called "Dream" and is 13% Angora with other fibers. I just cast on last night to knit one for my mother for Mother's Day.

The leaf pattern comes out beautifully. I'm SO glad I found this pattern on line a few days ago. :D

I'm a new knitter so I did have a few problems knitting the first scarf following my place on the paper for which stitch I was to do next. So I am now using one of those magnetic boards on the paper. That REALLY helps me keep track and I did not lose my place after using that.

So I'll KAL with you on my second scarf! :XX: :XX:

It really is a beautiful scarf. :XX: :XX: :XX:

carollovesyarn
04-29-2006, 05:12 AM
I just did a Branching Out about two weeks ago and I really liked the way it turned out! I used S. Charles Ritratto because that's what my grandma gave me and it was for her. I used less than a skein.

I'd like to incorporate the pattern into a matching purse for her, but we'll see.

Skater
04-29-2006, 09:21 AM
:cheering: Yay, more branching out fans!

The scarf is 17 inches long now (about 10 repeats) and counting. I was knitting a lot on the go yesterday, and made a few mistakes, but it didn't take long to recover.

Both yarns mentioned sound luscious. I love knitting with baby alpaca :heart:. The Ritrotto (http://www.yarn.com/yarns-knitting/ritratto.html) looks like a pretty yarn, Carol. I'll bet your grandmother loves it.

Back to the leaves... :XX:

carollovesyarn
04-29-2006, 06:32 PM
I never would have picked out Ritratto, but I was pleased that it blocked well. Gma doesn't have it yet. I haven't taken a really decent picture of it yet, but here are a couple.

Celine
04-29-2006, 08:11 PM
That looks just beautiful!! I really think this is one of the prettiest patterns I've seen. I enjoy it so much.

I'm still working on the blue one. :XX: :XX: :XX: I lost my place a few times and had to begin again...even tho I am using the magnetic board to keep my place. :( I guess I can't watch to much tv when I'm trying to follow a pattern like this one. lol :??

rebecca
04-29-2006, 09:34 PM
:D Gorgeous :cheering: :cheering:

Virtuella
04-30-2006, 11:57 AM
Question:
A good friend of mine gave me a skein of Cashmeere lace weight yarn. It is the thinnest yarn I have ever seen. And soooo soft!
Is it possible to knit the Branching out with that thin yarn?

Skater
04-30-2006, 03:16 PM
Carol, that's pretty!

Virtuella, I don't see why you couldn't make it in laceweight. Why don't you make a little swatch of a repeat or two, bind it off and block it, and see how you like it?

Here is a picture of the end of mine with a leaf from Nicky Epstein's book, Knitting on the Edge, with two fewer rows than specifed in the leaf fringe pattern. I was thinking of putting three on each end. What do you think? Would it look better without the leaves, or maybe with smaller leaves?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/Wendy_the_Pooh/Knitting%20and%20Crocheting/UnblockedBOScarf.jpg

Virtuella
04-30-2006, 03:28 PM
Thank you, a swatch is a good idea!!

And I love yours with the leaf on, but I would maybe had more of them? 5 maybe?

carollovesyarn
04-30-2006, 03:47 PM
Wow, your scarf turned out lovely! I like the leaves as an edge a lot. I think if you make them slightly smaller you will need 5 or so, either going straight across or alternating up & down.

Celine
05-01-2006, 04:08 AM
Your scarf did come out beautiful!! I love the color too. :inlove: Is it gold or an orange?? Just lovely. I too like the leaf too very mucht. I have that book I'll have to get my copy out and take a look. I haven't knitted anything from it...yet! :XX: :XX:

Skater
05-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Thanks.

I think it's 007 yellow ochre, a discontinued color. I bought it locally in 2004. It's more gold than orange.

I like the idea of making five smaller leaves. I'll give it a shot. It shouldn't be too hard to modify the leaf pattern even more.

rebecca
05-01-2006, 10:45 AM
:D Lovely, Skater...I love your idea of adding the leaf from Nicky's book ;)

I found the photos of the Branching Out scarf that I made last fall using KnitPicks' Merino & the hat I designed to go with Branching Out using a yarn painted with autumnal colors & leaves knit & attached to the ribbing portion of the hat :D

Skater
05-01-2006, 11:27 AM
Rebecca, you designed that leafy pattern on the hat? Neat. Have you done it with a solid? I luv leaves!

photogirl72
05-02-2006, 12:14 PM
I went back to my LYS to buy the same yarn in blue but she didn't have that color. So I chose something else in blue. Its called "Dream" and is 13% Angora with other fibers. I just cast on last night to knit one for my mother for Mother's Day.

The leaf pattern comes out beautifully. I'm SO glad I found this pattern on line a few days ago. :D

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was thinking about using that yarn for this pattern, but I didn't know if it would work. You just saved me a bunch if second guessing.

I love the dream yarn, I made a bunch of scarves in pink for a few little girls and they loved them. I didn't do any kind of pattern, just plain knitting.

I am so going to start branching out as soon as my needles come in the mail.

wyoknitter
05-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Hi Everyone ~

This KAL has inspired me to go for it....I've been pondering trying something a bit lacey...but as a relatively new knitter I've been a little fearful. But I'm going to give it a go.

I bought two balls of the Silky wool mentioned in the pattern. It's a medium gray color. If this project works ( make then when it works) I'm hoping that the gray will look nice on my sister's red wool coat. I'm using size 8 circurlar needles ( don't even own any straight needles, except DPN's ). I have both Addi Natura's and Turbo's in that size so will see which one's work best.

I love see everyone's beautiful work ! Keep it up !

Laura

jamadian75
05-05-2006, 02:12 PM
I'm considering this but the yarn embargo continues in this house, so I'll have to use what I have.

Does anyone know yarn subbing enough to tell me if some Sirdar DK 50%merino/50% acrylic would work for this pattern?? :??

It's a lovely blue color and soft despite the acrylic. I have about 10 balls of it and I have frogged the other things I tried to make with it (trying not to force the yarn to be something it doesn't want to be, etc).

Should this work well for a lacy pattern?
(Feel free to tell me to stop being a lazy so and so and make a guage swatch) ;)

rebecca
05-05-2006, 04:01 PM
Rebecca, you designed that leafy pattern on the hat? Neat. Have you done it with a solid? I luv leaves!

Yeap, I was playing around one day with the hat, I wanted a hat to go with my "Branching Out" and had this lovely autumnal colored hand painted yarn on hand & used it. I've not done it with a solid color, but it's easily done....u just knit up several leaves (I used a few different sizes) and then simply sew them onto a basic hat ;)
I don't think you were around last year, eh? I knit a matching hat & fingerless gloves to go with my scarves ;) OMGoodness, I've not done the gloves to go with my Branching Out...I must do them before cold weather ;)

Skater
05-05-2006, 04:07 PM
jamadian75, I don't know why it wouldn't work. I haven't used it, only the Sirdar Snuggly DK, which has no wool in it. I didn't make any lace with it, just bobbles to spell out the Alphabet, but I think it would be fine! I say try it. Sounds like a good project to me.

Skater
05-05-2006, 04:14 PM
I knit a matching hat & fingerless gloves to go with my scarves ;) OMGoodness, I've not done the gloves to go with my Branching Out...I must do them before cold weather ;)I looked in your albums and found a matching hat and fingerless gloves for the backyard leaves scarf from Scarf Style - lovely!

rebecca
05-05-2006, 04:40 PM
:D Aren't u sweet ;) I have a bag that needs to be lined & the handles put in place to match the Backyard Leaves ensemble...I love, love to knit that scarf!! I may do some for Christmas ;) I want a pink one, too :thumbsup:

wyoknitter
05-05-2006, 05:30 PM
:rollseyes: Well, after frogging the first pattern repeat three times and finally getting it right ~ I decided that the gray Silky Wool was too dark and the pattern wasn't going to show as much as I would like...sooooooooo

off to my stash of Silky wool ( I love the stuff ) I decided on a medium green. I've done two pattern repeats this afternoon with no errors ( knock on wood ) and I think the beautiful pattern will now show.

Rebecca, your scarf and hat ensemble are perfect ! Do post a picture of the matching gloves when you get them done.

Laura

rebecca
05-05-2006, 05:45 PM
:D thanks, Laura :D
I think it's going to be gorgeous in the green...can't wait to see it ;)

wyoknitter
05-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Hi Everyone !

I have finished six repeats in this scarf....it is a really lovely pattern and not all that hard once you get the hang of it :lol:

I would like to encourage everyone who is interested to give it a whirl...my pattern says that you can knit it in just about any yarn and it doesn't take much ( about 175 yards ) ...so go to your stash and find something wonderful.

It's really fun. I might be a new addict to lace knitting !

Laura

jamadian75
05-06-2006, 04:52 PM
jamadian75, I don't know why it wouldn't work. I haven't used it, only the Sirdar Snuggly DK, which has no wool in it. I didn't make any lace with it, just bobbles to spell out the Alphabet, but I think it would be fine! I say try it. Sounds like a good project to me.

Thanks for the encouragement - I'm going to cast on and try my FIRST lace project (I'm still high on the first sock thing I guess - look out!)

P.S. I have the Sirdar Snuggly DK too in black - not sure what I'll make with this (I have 10 balls of it, may just do socks - but if you have other suggestions for using it, please let me know)

jamadian75
05-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Ok - I love easy lace knitting.

That being said - here are my progress pictures. I really like this pattern alot (even thinking of adding it to something else, like the front panel or edge of a sweater).

My concern is with this yarn - the texture and color just don't seem quite right :thinking: Maybe it's because all the examples I've seen have been in beautiful "leafy" or natural colors. What do you guys think? Back to the stash?

http://static.flickr.com/50/142118622_32e16525d2_m.jpg

When It's laid down, I don't think the pattern "pops"...here's a close up:

http://static.flickr.com/45/142118621_03eb27c9f1.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/49/142118620_a43e4a90bf_m.jpg

P.S. If anyone else has pictures of your WIPs, I'd like to see 'em!

Skater
05-07-2006, 03:17 PM
Go Laura!

Jamadian, I really love, :heart:, love that color! It looks great in the lowest picture. I think when you block it, it will look good, but you can stop here and block it to be sure YOU like it, because that's what counts most.

As for what to do with all the other Sirdar Snuggly, I don't have an idea right off the bat. I crocheted an ABC baby blanket (http://www.crochetnmore.com/babysabcsafghan.htm) in white with it. Black may not be your favorite color for a baby blanket, though. How about a vest? I just bought the Knitting Pure and Simple basic vest for men pattern #215. It uses DK.

My Branching Out is currently soaking in some lavender Eucalan in some cool water, to be taken out and blocked in a few minutes. I have time now to do the 3-D leaves, and will post a picture here when it's all dried and the leaf fringe is added.

carollovesyarn
05-07-2006, 03:39 PM
Beautiful! I wasn't sure I would like mine either in a dark purple, but after blocking I think it looks ok. I like your blue - it looks like you're using a good size needle - I think it will look great. They don't all have to be leafy colors to look terrific! If anything I think the blue makes the pattern stand out more.

jamadian75
05-07-2006, 04:36 PM
Alright - I'm going to keep going with it. I have so much of this yarn that I'll still have 8 or 9 balls left over after this scarf - no skin off my stash to keep on with Branching Out ;)

Skater you are a machine!! :XX: :XX: :XX: Can't wait to see the pictures of your scarf finished.

I find I like this pattern so much that I may just try it using some other left over yarns from my stash when I finish this one (I'm trying SO hard not to CO too many projects at once).

Thanks again for the nudge, good luck with all of yours!! :thumbsup:

wyoknitter
05-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Jamadian ~ it looks wonderful ! I love the blue color. As I keep working away on mine, I imagine doing it in all sorts of non-leafy colors. I love your blue.

I would post a WIP pic of mine, except. I'm digitial photography impaired :oops: and my DH is out of town. As soon as he gets home on Wed, I will have him help me with a pic.

Laura

rebecca
05-07-2006, 09:02 PM
:D I'm so glad u didn't change that beautiful scarf, Jamadian :D I love, love the color :D

wyoknitter
05-09-2006, 09:21 AM
I'm done :happydance: And I think it came out beautifully. As previously posted, I'm not good with the camera but when my husband comes home tomorrow I will have him take a pic pre-blocking. I am going to wait to block it...I just ordered some blocking wires that I want to use.

The silky wool is so soft and light ~ really nice to work with. I can see several more of these scarves being done as gifts etc.

My current project on the needles is the Knitting Pure and Simple Lace poncho in the feather and fan pattern. I'm using Brown Sheep's cotton fleece in Carribean Blue. It's bright :-)

Hope everyone else is enjoying working on their scarves as much as I did.

Laura

jamadian75
05-09-2006, 10:56 AM
My current project on the needles is the Knitting Pure and Simple Lace poncho in the feather and fan pattern. I'm using Brown Sheep's cotton fleece in Carribean Blue. It's bright :-)

Hope everyone else is enjoying working on their scarves as much as I did.

Laura

:cheering: :cheering: Awesome!! Looking forward to the pics and good for you that took no time at all!

On the Pure & Simple poncho - where did you order the patern?

rebecca
05-09-2006, 11:01 AM
:D Good for you, laura, I can't wait to see your picture :D

wyoknitter
05-09-2006, 12:00 PM
Jamadian ... I actually purchased at my not so local LYS ( 45 miles away )...but I know that I've seen it on-line. It's called the Easy Lace Poncho by Knitting Pure and Simple.

My other knitting adventure of the day is I'm off to the same not so local shop to take a top down, short rowl heel sock class. I've made about 10 pairs of socks so far all with the heel flap routine so I'm excited to see if I can do something where I don't have to pick up those "dang gum stitches"
:rollseyes: That is the only part of sock knitting that I don't like !

Have a great day !

Laura

jamadian75
05-09-2006, 12:08 PM
I'm a new knitter so I did have a few problems knitting the first scarf following my place on the paper for which stitch I was to do next. So I am now using one of those magnetic boards on the paper. That REALLY helps me keep track and I did not lose my place after using that.

What is this magnetic board?? Sounds like something I could use!

jamadian75
05-09-2006, 12:13 PM
Jamadian ... I actually purchased at my not so local LYS ( 45 miles away )...but I know that I've seen it on-line. It's called the Easy Lace Poncho by Knitting Pure and Simple.

Thanks Laura!! I travel for work alot and so most of the yarn stores I vist are not "local" to me but I love it! I found one in the 'burbs of Chicago open until 9pm tomorrow, and they have the Knitting Pure & Simple patterns!! :cheering:

Good luck to you with the sock class - it's such a great thing to learn new skills and I know Rebecca will agree that anything that gets you knitting more socks is worth knowing!! ;)

rebecca
05-09-2006, 03:05 PM
Good luck to you with the sock class - it's such a great thing to learn new skills and I know Rebecca will agree that anything that gets you knitting more socks is worth knowing!! ;)

SO VERY TRUE ;)

DoulaLyndsey
05-09-2006, 06:19 PM
I'm glad I found this KAL! I'm waiting to start a Branching Out scarf right now, I need to finish the longies I have OTN first, and I'm nearly done! This scarf is so beautiful, I couldn't resist making one, or a few as I'm considering giving them as Christmas gifts to family. :thumbsup:

jamadian75
05-09-2006, 07:09 PM
YAY DoulaLyndsey!! :cheering: :cheering: Welcome!

I'm a total lace convert and I hope you enjoy knitting this scarf as much as I do!

Come to think of it :thinking: I better stop talking about this thing and get back to KNITTING it!! :shock:

jamadian75
05-09-2006, 09:34 PM
*sigh*

:frog:

Every stitch gone - I miscounted or misread or missed sumthin' or udder.
Whatever the cause, I couldn't recover, and the Sirdar is now back in a ball. :rollseyes:

*sigh*

Looking on the bright side, I love this pattern so much that I immediately went to the stash for something a little more "gift" worthy and I'm casting on again right now!

I have 3 flights between now and Friday, so I should be able to make some good progress and I'm going to use that trick about knitting in a "lifeline" that I read today to avoid having to frog everything (hmmm....maybe I should have done that immediately after reading about it?!? - ah well).

Stitch on KAL'ers! Send me good lacey vibes <<< >>>

carollovesyarn
05-09-2006, 09:42 PM
Oh I'm soooo sorry! I had a few moments I thought I might have to do this too, but I got pretty good at reconstructing my rows. It wasn't easy though. Good thing you like knitting the pattern so much! :thumbsup:

wyoknitter
05-09-2006, 09:57 PM
Jamadian

:crying: I'm really sorry that happened to you. I hate having to rip stuff out but guess it's part of knitting. Don't give up on your pretty blue yarn, though. It's really beautiful !

I ripped out my lace poncho that I started yesterday ! I messed up to and knew that I couldn't live with the mistake so decided to start over...ugh.

My sock class was good...we have to knit the whole leg before next week so we can start on the short row heel. I hope mine goes better than the first time I tried it on my own. I had HUGE holes :D Of course I had to come home with more yarn. Two balls of Lana Grossa sock yarn and 4 balls of Fixation.... I swear sock yarn is an addiction !

Jamadian....I did use the lifelines on my scarf. One after every repeat of the pattern and it did save my bacon a few times. They are well worth the little time it takes to put them in, I think.

DoulaLyndsey
05-11-2006, 01:01 PM
I cast on for the scarf today!! :happydance: I've also knit the first five rows, but I'm going to wait to start the lace until my kids take a nap or DH gets home :thumbsup: .

:XX:

rebecca
05-11-2006, 01:23 PM
Can't wait to see it, Lyndsey!
wyoknitter...u r so right!! Sock yarn is a BIG addiction for me :D

DoulaLyndsey
05-11-2006, 03:49 PM

One frogging down, more to come, I'm sure. Yep, 13 rows in I realized that I had too many stitches on my needles and couldn't figure out how to fix it. So, I ripped it out and started over. However, it's looking like it was for the best, I started it on size 9 needles because I'm a tight knitter, but it looked way too loose so I went down to an 8 and now it's looking MUCH better :thumbsup: .

rebecca
05-11-2006, 06:12 PM
:frog: OUCH, I hate frogging...unless you realize it's for the best, then I'm a happy frogger ;)

DoulaLyndsey
05-12-2006, 11:37 AM
I love this pattern, it's gorgeous!! :inlove:

rebecca
05-12-2006, 11:59 AM
:D Looking good :thumbsup: Isn't it a fun knit?

DoulaLyndsey
05-12-2006, 12:08 PM
It is fun once you get into it, and don't make any mistakes :lol: . Can't wait to see it finished!!

wyoknitter
05-12-2006, 12:10 PM
It looks great ~ good job :happydance:

Mine is blocking now...maybe can post a pic later tonight.

In the meantime I am making some socks for my sock class. Our homework is to get down to the heel so that on Tuesday we can learn short row heels. I am having the worst d**m time of this ~ I am just doing a simple garter rib in CTH bright and I've had to frog the thing three times. I think my knitting mojo is gone today !! :lol:

Keep up the good work everyone ~ love to see the pics

Laura

Celine
05-13-2006, 04:52 AM
I finished the scarf. I've knit this pattern twice so far. IT is so pretty. The leaves do come out great!! I'm giving it to my mother along with a box of chocolate truffles and a bouquet of flowers. I think she'll be pleased. :heart:

jamadian75
05-13-2006, 09:44 PM
I finished the scarf. I've knit this pattern twice so far. IT is so pretty. The leaves do come out great!! I'm giving it to my mother along with a box of chocolate truffles and a bouquet of flowers. I think she'll be pleased. :heart:

Um....a handknit gift, chocolate AND flowers??!!!

I wanna be your mom!!!! :roflhard:

Good for you Celine!

jamadian75
05-19-2006, 01:09 PM
Any one have progress pics or FO's to show??

I need some inspiration to cast on for this again. I just couldn't keep going in the blue yarn (sorry). I want to cast on for this again, but the yarn just has to "feel" right for it.

DoulaLyndsey
05-19-2006, 04:11 PM
I'm probably 3/4 done now, but I haven't taken an updated pic yet. I'm trying to finish it before Thursday, which is DS's last day of school, so that he can give it to his teacher. I'll post pics when I finish it!

DoulaLyndsey
05-22-2006, 03:21 PM
Finished!! :happydance:

jamadian75
05-22-2006, 09:36 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :inlove:

Way to GO!! That looks FANTASTIC - good for you finishing it so quickly too.

I'm off to VT tomorrow and hope to find some yarn to start this again. Yours looks perfect, and what a nice gift!

Freyja
05-29-2006, 08:10 PM
I CO a week a go and am 15 reps along. I am carrying a two colored mohair with a solid color silk/wool. The design is getting lost. I hope when it is blocked, it will show up a little better.

jamadian75
05-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Welcome Freyja! :waving:

So glad you CO on for this, and what a neat idea to try 2 different yarns together. If you feel the lace isn't showing up well, may I suggest larger needles? (maybe 1 or 2 sizes up). When I thought mine wasn't quite "lacey" enough I started playing with various needle sizes.

Can't wait to see some pictures! I'll post again soon with the new yarn I've started this with too.

Anyone else still knitting away on this??

Freyja
06-11-2006, 11:55 PM
It took me a long time...... to get to the blocking of the scarf. But of the plus side, I felted a matching hat and knitted a flower pin. I am going to give these to my DGM in Aug., for her 87th B-day. The only thing she will be able to wear in Aug., will be the pin :shock: She only ask for the hat. The scarf and pin will be a nice surprise :present:.

Scarf and pin
Hoarstia from H.Ottens GmbH&Co. KG 50% silk/wool in color 2409
Nightshade Rose Designs 76% mohair,13% wool,11% nylon in color 29

jamadian75
06-12-2006, 10:00 AM
:cheering: :cheering:

OUTSTANDING WORK!!!

What an awesome gift - you did really well!! :heart: :heart:

kimono7
06-13-2006, 01:23 PM
Everyone's scarves are so pretty!

I cast on Saturday. So far so good, but I've needed my lifelines a few times. It's such a pretty pattern. I'm using Silky Wool.

Nimmie
06-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Ohhhh..I love how that scarf looks! And the hat is so cool!

Freyja
06-13-2006, 10:11 PM
My son loves the hat. I had to hide it in the closet.

The mohair feels great with the silk but the leafs just don't pop.
If I had to do it again, I would run the mohair just in the border.

kimono7 , what color Silky Wool are you using?

kimono7
07-09-2006, 12:41 PM
kimono7 , what color Silky Wool are you using?

It's a blue/gray color with specs of white in it. I think it's #38.
You can see a picture on my blog (http://kimonoknitting.blogspot.com)

Freyja
07-19-2006, 11:55 PM
It's a blue/gray color with specs of white in it. I think it's #38.
You can see a picture on my blog (http://kimonoknitting.blogspot.com)

Your scarf looks great! :heart: the color!

jamadian75
07-20-2006, 09:12 AM
Everytime I come back over here I get an urge to get going on this scarf again :thinking: Love the pictures of what you all have done so far...

*sigh* Here I go to rifle through the stash again!

Toast King
07-24-2006, 01:23 PM
Heya - beautiful scarves everyone! Is anyone still KALing? I've just started another one as a last minute gift - am *attempting* to get it finished and blocked by Saturday :shock: So far I've gone the 5 garter stitch rows :shock: :shock: Wish me luck!

Toast King
07-25-2006, 01:23 PM
So here's a leeeettle update on my progress! I got 10 repeats done in a branching-out-bonanza of knitting last night....I looked like this went I went to bed :shock:... Can I get it finished & blocked for Saturday...?!! We'll just have to see! I better get off to knit knit knit and knit some more!! :XX::XX::XX::XX::XX::XX:

http://static.flickr.com/62/198138976_e027a22879.jpg

By the way, have just learnt to knit from a chart and it's SO MUCH FASTER! Took me ages to read the written instructions last time I made this :doh:

(Edited to say: Wow look I posted at the exact same time yesterday.... weeeeeird :??)

carollovesyarn
07-25-2006, 01:36 PM
WOW! :shock: You're chugging right along. What yarn are you using? It looks great in it.

I'm rooting for you to finish on time! :cheering:

The only KAL I know about is offlist for scarfstyle.

jamadian75
07-26-2006, 12:03 AM
Well Toast King, I'd say we've just reactivated this KAL! :cheering:

I :heart: that yarn you're using - it looks PERFECT for this, and congrats on the charting progress.

I'm cheering you on to finish this in time, what an excellent gift!

Toast King
07-26-2006, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the encouragement! :cheering:

I knitted my socks off to get another 20 repeats done (am now cross-eyed) :XX:

Now it's blocking (somewhat unglamourously) on my mattress:

http://static.flickr.com/57/198779533_3397df160f_m.jpg

I may have met my deadline on the scarf, but will my mattress be dry enough to sleep on tonight?!... and will I find all the pins?! :shock:

:rofling:

jamadian75
07-26-2006, 09:07 AM
:roflhard:

YAAAAY for you finishing!!!!! It looks BEAUTIFUL! :inlove:

carollovesyarn
07-26-2006, 04:54 PM
beautiful! congrats on finishing!!! :cheering:

Freyja
07-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Great job :thumbsup:
You're going to have one happy recipient :balloons:

Toast King
07-28-2006, 08:30 AM
Thanks chums! :thumbsup: I can now show you the final (post-blocking) obligatory garden shot!

http://static.flickr.com/74/199728254_d9f73432f0.jpg

It's made with DB pure silk (colour 7) - same yarn that I used for my last one, different colour though. As a guide, one skein does about 20 repeats - I did 30 for this scarf. I think I prefer it in the green I used before but this had to be blue as it's a little present for a bride tomorrow. I've just got it all packaged up ready to give to her tonight:
http://static.flickr.com/73/200245316_0ea12607c6.jpg

It's so hot here that I swear that blocking took a matter of minutes ;) I think I got all the pins out of the mattress... it's ok, it's BF's side anyway :lol:

Cheers for the encouragement - I can definitely recommend this as a project for anyone thinking of having a go! Go for it! :thumbsup:

kristinw
07-28-2006, 10:56 PM
wow! That came out beautiful!!

I have been reading through this KAL and I am dying to knit this!!! I have some Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece in Banana (a nice pale yellow). Do you think that would be a good yarn to use?? Seems like it might be. What size needle would you suggest?

I was thinking if it comes out good then I could see myself knitting a few of these for Christmas gifts!

jamiejeans
07-28-2006, 11:21 PM
[quote="kristinw"]wow! That came out beautiful!!

I have been reading through this KAL and I am dying to knit this!!! I have some Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece in Banana (a nice pale yellow). Do you think that would be a good yarn to use?? Seems like it might be. What size needle would you suggest?
/quote]

Kristin, so funny that I have this pattern on my Favorite links. I was going to knit it for my grandmother. I think a pale yellow would look nice.

Hmmm, not sure why the quote isn't coming out right.

jamadian75
07-28-2006, 11:34 PM
ooooooo Ladies!! Do it do it do it do it

Give me an excuse to get back in the knitting saddle on this project so I can KAL with you!!

CateKnits
07-28-2006, 11:52 PM
I started one of these months ago and only did a repeat and a half. Maybe I should pick it up again. I'm doing mine with two strands of Knit Picks Shadow in "sunset."

kristinw
07-31-2006, 08:22 PM
You should definitely join me!!! I officially have this on the needles. Ending up having to rip it apart after 9 rows as I missed a stitch somehow, somewhere. The worst part is I am doing it on size 8 needles and I only have straights. I hate straights and usually knit with circulars. Now I have an excuse to buy some!

Freyja
08-01-2006, 12:27 PM
You should definitely join me!!! I officially have this on the needles. Ending up having to rip it apart after 9 rows as I missed a stitch somehow, somewhere. The worst part is I am doing it on size 8 needles and I only have straights. I hate straights and usually knit with circulars. Now I have an excuse to buy some!

Options, Options, Options!

jamadian75
08-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Options, Options, Options!

HAAAAAAA
Subliminal messaging. I :heart: it

Toast King
08-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Yay! So glad you're all joining in - it's a fun knit :thumbsup:

kristinw - sorry you had to frog - stick with it though! I don't know the yarn you're using but the colour sounds gorgeous, can't wait to see some pictures - good luck! :XX: :XX: :XX:

kristinw
08-01-2006, 10:42 PM
I have made it through one repeat! :thumbsup: I am definitely going to have to get circulars though. It is so unnatural for me to use the straights. Maybe if I buy just one options needle DH won't get too upset!! :D

I took a picture but had to stretch it a bit so you could see the pattern. This time I used the chart and OMG it is SO much easier than following the written instructions. I didn't think I'd be able to do it, but it was a piece of cake!

kristinw
08-01-2006, 10:44 PM
Oh and I am using Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece. Not as soft as I would have liked but I think once it is done it will be nice. I love how that silk looks - nice and drapey! :inlove:

jamadian75
08-02-2006, 08:45 AM
kristinw that looks GREAT!

And I completely agree with you about the chart. I printed it out and enlarged it on a sheet of paper on it's own, which was so much easier to follow (I use post it notes under the line I'm on so I can keep track).

Also, I highly recommend life lines for this to avoid the stress if your stitch count gets off (knocking wood)

Keep at it, looking good so far! :cheering:

kristinw
08-11-2006, 09:13 PM
Knitting all by myself here!! I did end up adding a life line after a pretty big screw up. I knitted the wrong row :wall: :!!!: . THen I tried to frog that one row and really just made things worse. So I just went on from there and am living with the mess up. It is for me anyway so I am not concerned. I figure if I like the way it comes out I will knit a couple for Christmas gifts. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

jamiejeans
08-11-2006, 10:55 PM
Kristin, I can't wait to see it. I haven't started mine yet, but I plan to at some point. I am knitting this with you in spirit! xxx

knitaddict
08-11-2006, 11:56 PM
I'm in this now, too! :cheering: :cheering:

I started yesterday or the day before (my week has all run together) and have just finished the 9th repeat. It took a while for me to get it going (frogged 3 times before the 2nd repeat), but now it's moving right along. I found that my biggest problem was keeping track of the pattern. I clipped it to my clipboard, folded over a green piece of paper and paper clipped it right below the current row. Makes it MUCH easier to remember where I am.

I'm using the Douceur et Soie in white. I have a fancy floor length wool coat in bright red that I thought it would look pretty with. This is my first time with "real" lace so I'm really excited.

My next project is "Moscow Nights" from patternworks which is an intricate lace shawl. I figured Branching Out would be a good warm up exercise. :)

knitaddict
08-15-2006, 01:21 AM
Am I the only one still working on this? I just finished my 20th repeat. According to the pattern I have about 7 left. :cheering: :cheering: It's flying by now. :)

kristinw
08-15-2006, 01:21 PM
I'm still working on it! I think I am on about my 10th repeat. I don't get too much time to work on it every day. I try to do at least a few rows. I just love the pattern!!

knitaddict
08-23-2006, 12:01 PM
I finished it last night. :cheering: :cheering: Now I just need to buy some blocking pins so that I can block it. It turned out SO pretty!!!

kristinw
08-23-2006, 02:02 PM
Yay!! :cheering: I can't wait to see pictures!! I'm still trucking along with mine. Slowly but surely!

yarnfreak
08-28-2006, 01:22 AM
I really want to do this, but for some reason I just cannot master the psso. I understand it, it just doesn't like me. :grrr:

Andrea
08-28-2006, 03:51 AM
I thought I had posted in here about the yarn I bought for it, but I guess I didn't.

I bought some Nashua June (http://www.abundantyarn.com/shopping/yarn/index.php?fc=99) in black for this. I won't be starting for awhile, but I will eventually!! :cheering: :cheering:

It is acrylic, but you would NOT believe how silky it is! I bought it at Chix With Stix, Kelly's yarn shop. She was using it to knit up some lacey stuff for a class she was teaching and when I felt it, I had to have some. I think this is the perfect project for it.

Now, I'm just not sure where I would wear something like this though. Is this more of a decorative item? Because I really don't wear anything that this would look good with, but I'm too selfish to give this one away! :oops:

jamiejeans
08-28-2006, 09:01 AM
I thought I had posted in here about the yarn I bought for it, but I guess I didn't.

I bought some Nashua June (http://www.abundantyarn.com/shopping/yarn/index.php?fc=99) in black for this. I won't be starting for awhile, but I will eventually!! :cheering: :cheering:

Post a picture when you get it started. I love the color choices for that yarn!

photogirl72
09-16-2006, 01:02 AM
Wow, I can't believe how good everyone's scarves look. I started my first one in a dark grey fingering alpaca and hated it. I've started again with Eden Madil bamboo.

http://static.flickr.com/84/240048126_1b87d8e394.jpg

jamadian75
09-16-2006, 10:52 AM
I've started again with Eden Madil bamboo.

Ooooo - I LOVE this in bamboo...I have some in a lighter blue (may be the same brand) and now that I've seen the shimmer and softness of yours so far, it's pretty compelling! :cheering:

jamadian75
09-16-2006, 11:10 AM
I really want to do this, but for some reason I just cannot master the psso. I understand it, it just doesn't like me. :grrr:

How's it going yarnfreak?? Did you beat that psso into submission yet?! :teehee:

Sending you good knitting vibes!

photogirl72
09-17-2006, 01:50 PM
Ooooo - I LOVE this in bamboo...I have some in a lighter blue (may be the same brand) and now that I've seen the shimmer and softness of yours so far, it's pretty compelling! :cheering:

The bamboo is surprisingly soft. I wasn't to sure about it when the lady at the LYS said to try it, but she was right. My best friend's mother is going to love this. She is alergic to wool, alpaca, cats and most all animals. The poor thing. She loves animals, but can't be around them. Anyway, so my LYS suggested bamboo as a substitute because of it.

The only problem I've had with it so far is the fact that it is so soft you almost can't see the pattern in it. I'm hoping blocking will take care of that when I'm done.

mwedzi
09-17-2006, 02:27 PM
I'm going to join in on this soon. As soon as I get my size 8s out of a couple of projects. I already bought the Zephyr wool-silk to do it in, in burgundy. Looking forward to it.

yarnfreak
09-19-2006, 03:19 AM

How's it going yarnfreak?? Did you beat that psso into submission yet?! :teehee:

Sending you good knitting vibes!

YES!!!! :happydance:

knitaddict
09-19-2006, 12:21 PM
Here are some pictures of mine. :) It's still unblocked and the ends need to be woven, but I wanted to show it anyway. :)

jamiejeans
09-19-2006, 12:26 PM
ooh, that's beautiful!

photogirl72
10-01-2006, 06:39 PM
http://static.flickr.com/104/257873693_0bb3e58c5f.jpg

Well, it is done. I am really happy with it. I've already started the next one, though I probably should do something else first. LOL!

rebecca
10-01-2006, 06:47 PM
Gorgeous!

photogirl72
10-01-2006, 07:27 PM
Gorgeous!

Thank you!!!

http://static.flickr.com/80/257915521_1a62020b5b.jpg

I've started it again in black silk. At first I didn't like it because the yarn doesn't give and it didn't slide on the needles well. I switched it over to my Denises, and I am much happier with the yarn now.

rebecca
10-02-2006, 03:17 PM
You are welcome :wink:

I would love to knit this scarf in silk, I saw some yummy silk in the yarn shop today that would do just fine!

photogirl72
10-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Just so you know, it is knitting up really well in the silk yarn. I like it a lot.

Marie-Louise
10-08-2006, 11:19 AM
I've just started knitting this scarf. I use an orange fibre which I got from my grandma. This is the second thing I'm knitting of a pattern. The first were Garter/Rib slippers, but the first slipper was so frustrating and boring at the same time I decided I needed something to practise different stitches.

So far I've done the first 10 rows and I love it :heart:! It is easier than expected, but it takes a lot of concetration and really makes my fingers tired.

I find it very easy to knit of the chart instead of the text, a lot easier to keep track of were you where and what comes next.

So this knittingnewbie is happily knitting along on this scarf :happydance:!

photogirl72
10-08-2006, 03:40 PM
So far I've done the first 10 rows and I love it :heart:! It is easier than expected, but it takes a lot of concetration and really makes my fingers tired.

I find it very easy to knit of the chart instead of the text, a lot easier to keep track of were you where and what comes next.

So this knittingnewbie is happily knitting along on this scarf :happydance:!

I think your fingers will get used to it. Make sure you take breaks and flex your fingers, shake em out a bit. That should help anyway.

I've never learned to knit with charts. Mainly because unless the chart is printed out so big that each square is about an inch square, I get confused easily. It is something to do with my eyes and my near blindness.

I'm glad you tried this scarf as a newbie. I wish I had tried something like this years ago.

Eloewien
10-08-2006, 10:55 PM
I think I'm going to give this a shot-- I have two yarns I'm thinking of using- one for my MIL and one for me. Hers is alpaca- I bought the yarn, but hadn't found a pattern for it. It will end up looking like autumn leaves, which I think will be amazing. Mine is a mohair/metallic blend I've been trying to find a pattern for. I'll post pics when I have it started :)

I've done lots of lacework, so it should be fun!

Laura

Marie-Louise
10-09-2006, 03:25 PM
I've done 20 rows now, I decided to scan it to show my progress :D. Doesn't look quite right now, but I have good hopes it will look nice when blocked.
http://www.britjes.nl/plaatjes/Branched%20Out.jpg
The picture is a bit more orangy than the yarn is. I'm still loving the pattern. It's a real challenge, so I won't get bored easily! :cheering:

jodstr2
10-09-2006, 08:16 PM
I will restart this tonight, after not being attentive enough on Friday. am hoping to get a couple of repeats in tonight without frogging. :pray:

AmandaC
10-11-2006, 04:18 PM
I've started this in some kid mohair in a pistachio colour for my Mum's christmas present.

I have decided to try to complete at least 1 or 2 repeats each day.

It took several attempts to complete the first repeat and then a couple more to be able to do more than one!!!

progress pics may not follow ... just in case mummy dearest stumbles onto this!!!

Eloewien
10-11-2006, 07:07 PM
This scarf just isn't coming out very well for me-- coming out somewhat tight. I'm gonna try going up a size on the needles... see what happens.

Marie-Louise
10-12-2006, 10:55 AM
So far, no mistakes or dropping needles (which I do with every project, forget to hold on to the needles and voila there they go :wall: )

I've repeated the pattern six times so far, it takes my about an hour to do one repeat, not very fast. I find the k3tog very hard, it's so tight.

I'm still wondering if I'm doing the sl-k2tog-psso correctly. It says you have to slip the first stitch purlwise, so that's with the thread in the front, but the thread is already in the front because of the yo before. So I just slip it purlwise and don't pay attention to the yarn already being in the front. I don't really see a difference when I do it purlstyle, with the needle going behind the yarn you're holding, or when I do it with the yarn behind the needle. Because of the yarn over it doesn't seem to matter how you slip the stitch. (I'm an English knitter.)

I don't know if you get what I mean. Otherwise I can take a few photographs to show you. Thx.

AmandaC
10-12-2006, 11:14 AM
hmmm - well I'm doing it wrong then because I slip all my stitches knitwise .... it looks fine so I will keep doing it like that!

Marie-Louise
10-14-2006, 07:56 AM
Yesterday I decided to show my BO to my grandma. She said, 'That's a known pattern'. I told her I got it of the internet, and though she doesn't want to have anything to do with computers, she was totally surprised by the fact that you can get patterns for free on the net. Her jaw dropped when I told her that hundreds of free patterns were just a mouseclick away!

It's to bad her hands are not capable of knitting anything other than just garter, I know for sure that otherwise I had to print and translate patterns for her (which I wouldn't mind).

The scarf is getting longer and longer, try to do a repeat every single day, and if I don't than I have to make it up to myself by doing two the next.

jodstr2
10-16-2006, 08:58 PM
I made a huuuuuuuuge mistake a few inches back but it's not too bad, I guess. at first I was pretty pissed but now I'm over it. besides, I was afraid to frog (no lifelines).

I love this pattern. I want to make more.

Marie-Louise
10-17-2006, 09:09 AM
Looks very nice! Love the color. :heart:

jodstr2
10-17-2006, 11:01 AM
:hug: thank you Marie-Louise! yours is gorgeous! the orange is very autumnal... perfect for this season! :heart: :hug:

mwedzi
10-20-2006, 10:47 AM
I finally got my yarn. After realizing the Zephyr lace weight was way too thin, I got a skein of the new Fleece Artists Peter Rabbit in Ivory. It was exactly what I was looking for, because I didn't want a solid color exactly, but I did want to keep it a light color with very soft changes in color, just white and off-white and light yellow and so forth. And that's what I found!

jodstr2
10-20-2006, 11:08 AM
:drool: :inlove:

Marie-Louise
10-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Love that yarn Nikki! :heart:
The color changes are very sublte, I think it will make a very nice scarf!

mwedzi
10-23-2006, 10:09 AM
So I finally did my first repeat. It took me three tries. I didn't expect this to be so difficult for me. It's my first time really reading from a chart. So I've decided to put a lifeline in on the last row of every repeat.

The angora feels heavenly. It sheds like crazy, though. I should have known, having 2 bunnies myself. But it really feels great, softer than even the Malabrigo I just got finished knitting with, and combined with the slickness of my KP Options needles, it's a very enjoyable tactile experience. So here is the first little repeat.

mwedzi
10-23-2006, 10:10 AM
So I finally did my first repeat. It took me three tries. I didn't expect this to be so difficult for me. It's my first time really reading from a chart. So I've decided to put a lifeline in on the last row of every repeat.

The angora feels heavenly. It sheds like crazy, though. I should have known, having 2 bunnies myself. But it really feels great, softer than even the Malabrigo I just got finished knitting with, and combined with the slickness of my KP Options needles, it's a very enjoyable tactile experience. So here is the first little repeat.

Andrea
10-23-2006, 10:14 AM
It looks fantastic and soooooooooooft :inlove:

photogirl72
10-28-2006, 02:23 AM
Wow, it looks so soft and cuddly!!!

This is my latest:

http://static.flickr.com/109/280869646_13800681a2_b.jpg

It is bamboo.

Marie-Louise
10-28-2006, 04:13 AM
Wow Nikki, it looks great! Reading from a chart can be a little confusing at the beginning. It's kinda strange reading from bottom to top from right to left.

And photogirl, yours looks lovely too, I like the yarn and color.

I've steamblocked the first part of my scarf, just to try if the syntetics I use will block nicely. And they do!I never thought it would be so pretty after blocking. I made a mistake yesterday and decided that I would decide this morning if I was going to leave it or frog it back to the lifeline. Decided to frog it. Wouldn't be able to do it after this point and was affraid I would regret knitting on.

Ow and now a little picture of a part of the scarf, just to show it steamed.

http://www.britjes.nl/plaatjes/Branched_Out.jpg

jodstr2
10-28-2006, 11:29 AM
:heart: oooh ladies, so pretty!!! :heart:

I might finish mine today, then get started on one for Mom. I can't decide how long to make mine.

mwedzi
10-30-2006, 10:30 AM
Well, this project has been temporarily abandoned. After 5 froggings, I feel done with it. Maybe it has been permanantly abandoned? Don't know, but it is definitely on the back burner. The WAY back burner. Especially if I can find another use for that pretty yarn.

knitaddict
10-30-2006, 11:22 AM
Don't give up, Nikki! When I started mine I swear I frogged it out every other row. And even when I was halfway through I frogged back a time or two. It gets easier as you get the feel of the pattern, though. Just remember to use a lifeline - I used mine at the end of every round - and it'll be so worth it.

photogirl72
10-30-2006, 11:33 AM
I agree, I lifeline would help and might save your project.

I frogged my first one so many times I was in tears when I finished it. The white bamboo one that I'm working on now has been restarted twice. Believe me, once you get used to the pattern, it gets easier.

mwedzi
10-30-2006, 03:29 PM
The funny/sad thing is that I am using a lifeline (as shown in the picture I posted above). But I thought I'd only put it in every complete repeat. But it took me 3 froggings to get to the first pattern repeat and i've now frogged twice and haven't gotten to the second. I'll get back to it later when I hate it less.

what do you mean you used yours at the end of every round? do you mean every pattern repeat, or every row?

Marie-Louise
10-30-2006, 04:03 PM
I'm using the lifeline every repeat of the pattern. But I find row 7 and 9 very tough, so maybe I'll put a second (different color) lifeline in before I start row 7, and still use the first after every repeat.

I frogged the same repeat three times today because I wasn't relaxed enough and kept making mistakes. I've put it away for tomorrow and continued on another scarf.

knitaddict
10-30-2006, 04:27 PM
:doh: I have knitting in the round on my brain today. lol I meant at the end of every repeat. :)

photogirl72
10-30-2006, 04:48 PM
You know, 7 is the one that gets me quite often as well.... Hmmm... I think I like the idea of having two lifelines. One for each pattern repeat and one at row 6 so that way when I screw up on row seven, I can just rip it out. Hmmm... thank you for mentioning that, this will help me a lot.

After going back and looking at the pattern... it is 5 and 7 for me that I have issues.

jodstr2
10-30-2006, 05:09 PM
I always screw up row 9 because I want to K3 instead of K4 at each end.

I'm on the 2nd one but my yarn is tangled. I spent all of Desperate Housewives and Brothers and Sisters trying to untangle it, and it's still not done.

photogirl72
10-30-2006, 05:29 PM
Oh Jodi!!! That stinks. I hate it when yarn gets tangled!!!

Good luck!

Jeremy
11-06-2006, 07:54 PM
When using the chart for this, what does "no stitch" mean?

kniftyknitter12
11-06-2006, 08:02 PM
It means that that stitch "no longer exists" because you have decreased it. I hope I explained that clearly.

Jeremy
11-06-2006, 08:09 PM
Thanks for your help. :D

XbelovedXoneX
11-10-2006, 09:58 PM
Man, this takes a while to get the swing of! I keep misreading or losing my place and having to rip all the way back to the garter border! I could use lifelines... but I wasn't planning on doing that until I am able to finish at least one pattern repeat! I don't think I have gotten past row 8 yet! :doh:

Jeremy
11-11-2006, 08:51 PM
I feel your pain. I'm about to launch another attempt.

mwedzi
11-15-2006, 09:21 PM
Okay, I am officially withdrawing from the KAL. What can I say, I just don't want to do this scarf anymore.

But I might try this one some time in the future:
http://www.mtholyoke.edu/~bsennott/Falling%20Water%20Pattern.pdf

XbelovedXoneX
11-16-2006, 01:59 PM
I was finally able to get one pattern repeat done without frogging!!! yay!!! :happydance:

mwedzi
11-17-2006, 11:17 AM
Yay! :cheering:

AmandaC
11-23-2006, 11:35 AM
Finally - picked this up again last night and managed 3 repeats ... I am now upto 13 repeats and nearly 1 ball of wool. I need to get this finished for Christmas day so if I force myself to do at least 2 repeats a day it should be either finished or 'out of wool' by then :teehee: I have another ball to use yet.

zara
12-02-2006, 03:30 PM
I have made this as a xmas pressie. It looks nice in Blur. I will post a pic of mine as soon as I figure out how.
What a shame I missed the kAL.

jodstr2
12-02-2006, 07:51 PM
I'm way behind/after the KAL but I love this scarf so much, I'm making more.
I finished the grey one, and am halfway through the blue one.

zara
12-03-2006, 06:42 AM
I plan to start another one too but in exactly the same yarn(Sirdar Blur) & colour (Sigh). Another xmas present. Will start after I finish the Bolero which yet again is a xmas present. I think I should have started earlier with my christmas knitting.

photogirl72
12-03-2006, 03:55 PM
I don't consider this KAL as over. I have made 3 of these scarves so far and am working on another.

I think it is just a matter of joining in. It doesn't matter when you start or finish. ;)

Tree
12-22-2006, 11:10 PM
I haven't been knitting for very long and the description said it was tangy so I thought that I would give it a try. Anyways, I had a question. I finished the first row of the pattern and I went to purl the second row, but I either end up with too many stiches or too few stiches. So I was wondering whether or not I was supposed to purl the yarn overs or not? Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong?

jodstr2
12-22-2006, 11:26 PM
I haven't been knitting for very long and the description said it was tangy so I thought that I would give it a try. Anyways, I had a question. I finished the first row of the pattern and I went to purl the second row, but I either end up with too many stiches or too few stiches. So I was wondering whether or not I was supposed to purl the yarn overs or not? Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong?

after row 1, you should have 31 stitches TOTAL, including the yarn overs.

row 2: k the first 3, purl 25 then k the last 3. yes, you will purl the yarn overs.

(I'm working on Branching Out right now.)

HTH :)

Tree
12-23-2006, 06:15 PM
Ahh!
I have another question. So, I went back to restart this scarf and I knitted the five rows and then started reading the pattern. I started with 31 stiches but when I get to the last yarn over I only have three stiches left on my left needle. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

photogirl72
12-24-2006, 03:57 PM
Ahh!
I have another question. So, I went back to restart this scarf and I knitted the five rows and then started reading the pattern. I started with 31 stiches but when I get to the last yarn over I only have three stiches left on my left needle. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

The only thing I can think of, is that you have to many stitches, the first 5 rows are 25 stitches. You should only have 31 stitches after you complete the first row of the repeat part of the pattern. If you have 31 stitches before you started the repeat part of the pattern, you have 6 stitches to many, if you have 31 stitches on one needle and have 3 more to go on the other, you have added to many stitches (yo's).

I hope this helps. If not, I'll try to think up something else. I'm working on this pattern again, so I can pull out my work and try to compare. I have found that if I make a mistake, it is easier to back up a whole row and start the row over again rather than back up to the mistake and start from there.

Lady M
12-31-2006, 01:08 AM
I started the Branching Out Scarf and I am now up to the 24th repeat
of the rows 1 - 10 pattern.

My question is, How many pattern repeats did each of you work your
scarf and about how long should it be. I am using Socks That Rock
100% wool in the colorway Spring Fling.

Thanks for helping,
Anne......=)

Skater
12-31-2006, 03:10 AM
I started the Branching Out Scarf and I am now up to the 24th repeat
of the rows 1 - 10 pattern.

My question is, How many pattern repeats did each of you work your
scarf and about how long should it be. I am using Socks That Rock
100% wool in the colorway Spring Fling.

Thanks for helping,
Anne......=)Anne, I think I made the recommended twenty-seven pattern repeats for Silky Wool. I can't check because I don't have it anymore. It was a gift.

That sounds like a nice colorway for the scarf (pink+).

Lady M
12-31-2006, 11:15 PM
Thank you for responding so soon to my question Skater,

I have knit on to 30 repeats now and it still looks too short. :wall: I think the problem may be that this yarn is a true sock weight yarn and just needs some extra length. So far I have just used half of a 360 yard ball so I think that I will just keep knitting. The fact that I am 5"9, I the reason that I need the extra length :doh:

But on the happy side,:cheering: I love this colorway and your right, Pink Rules in EVERY WAY !!!! :heart:

Perhaps 40 repeats will do the trick........

Anne........ Whose Branching Out Scarf is quickly turning into a TREE !!! :roflhard:

photogirl72
01-01-2007, 02:52 PM
I found that 27 repeats only works if you are under 5'4" and don't want to wrap it around your neck, but instead just want to let in hang. I am 5'4" and I think I'd need about 35 repeats. I haven't completed this scarf for myself yet, to know. I think you may want more like 40 repeats is you want it to be a cuddly scarf length.

Skater
01-01-2007, 08:56 PM
I'm under 5'3" myself, but I gave it to my mother, who likes shorter scarves.

hydeemarie
01-16-2007, 09:29 PM
I love all of your branching's. I have knit a few pattern repeats and am trucking along! good luck to all who attempt it! :muah:

Skater
01-16-2007, 10:42 PM
Today my mother showed me the one I made for her, which has curled over on itself. She said in dismay, "also, it's getting longer!" I said she should block it, but she says she'll just leave it. I guess she doesn't feel like she has the time to block it. It seems like lace scarves tend to fold into themselves a lot with time.

HamaLee
01-19-2007, 01:01 PM
I'm thinking about making this scarf for a cousin's birthday. She requested a lacy-type scarf but here's the rub: girlfriend is a messy teen and I'm broke so she's getting Red Heart all the way.

Will there be any way to block this baby so the lace looks lovely and visible? Even if I have to steam it and kill the acrylic....I just wanna make sure it'll actually look like lace when I'm done. Any opinions?

mwedzi
01-26-2007, 10:43 AM
Today my mother showed me the one I made for her, which has curled over on itself. She said in dismay, "also, it's getting longer!" I said she should block it, but she says she'll just leave it. I guess she doesn't feel like she has the time to block it. It seems like lace scarves tend to fold into themselves a lot with time.

I saw this on someone wearing a Branching Out the the Chicago knitting salon. It was just folded right down the middle and the wearer said she's always steam blocking it flat but it just folds in half again. :shrug:

Tree
02-18-2007, 01:02 AM
So, I gave up on the scarf for a little while and now I'm trying to knit it again and I have a question. How, if you start with 25 stitches do you do the first row. It seems like you would need 27 stitches with the slip-slip-knit and the knit two together?

mwedzi
02-19-2007, 01:48 PM
So, I gave up on the scarf for a little while and now I'm trying to knit it again and I have a question. How, if you start with 25 stitches do you do the first row. It seems like you would need 27 stitches with the slip-slip-knit and the knit two together?

The first row does work. 25 - 6 border sts (3 garter st border each side) = 19 sts.

Look at the lace chart and count the ssk and the k2tog as 2 stitches, do not count the yarn overs, and count everything else as 1 stitch. It will add up to 19.

auburnchick
02-27-2007, 12:00 PM
Never browsed the KAL forum before. Found this...beautiful!

I'm ordering my yarn right now. Shhh...don't tell the StashBusters! ;)

writingteacher2006
02-27-2007, 01:06 PM
I'm thinking of doing a short version of Branching Out as a sort of neck warmer. I only have 110 yds of a beautiful angora/wool blend. I'm a fairly new knitter, and I'm wondering if there would be a convenient stopping place in the pattern. Any advice?

auburnchick
02-27-2007, 02:15 PM
From reading the pattern, it looks like anywhere after the 10th (?) row...where the row pattern ends. Then do the 5 rows of garter. Should be pretty easy.

jodstr2
02-27-2007, 09:17 PM
the beauty of this pattern is you can end wherever you want.

auburnchick
03-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Yarn for this project arrived yesterday evening! I ordered the pink yarn in the pattern. Gonna finish up some socks that are OTN and then start this project! Can't wait!!!

dek_n_bloom
03-08-2007, 05:33 AM
I started the branching out scarf, and I love it! I'm surprised at how easy it's turning out to be. Except for the needing-to-pay-attention part. But I have a question. My scarf it turning out a little lumpy. Some of the branches/edges are popping out and bunching the scarf. When I block it, will it flatten out?

Skater
03-09-2007, 01:32 PM
I started the branching out scarf, and I love it! I'm surprised at how easy it's turning out to be. Except for the needing-to-pay-attention part. But I have a question. My scarf it turning out a little lumpy. Some of the branches/edges are popping out and bunching the scarf. When I block it, will it flatten out?That should flatten it out - it did mine.

suziehomemaker
05-30-2007, 12:06 PM
My mother just dropped off some mystery yarn to me and I started knitting this scarf with it. It's a light sport weight yarn that probably has some acryllic in it but it's turning out nicely so far.

I agree, it's definitely not mindless knitting but it does knit up quickly!

:cheering:

knitwit628
05-30-2007, 12:40 PM
I'm joining this KAL!!! I have some pretty yarn, unfortunately only 90 meters, but it could just be a short version of it :). unless i order more.... :) i will get started soon after I finish my project that I am working on!!

suziehomemaker
06-06-2007, 11:25 AM
I need some advise on this one. I finished row 9 and found that I had an extra stitch. Not sure how it happened so I unknit the row and counted again, still one extra stitched. It stared and stared at it but I couldn't figure out where the extra stitch was coming from. (I'm about 3 feet into the scarf)
I decided to just add a decrease in where it wouldn't be noticed. Then I finished row 10 and noticed that now I'm short one stitch. How is that even possible? Here's a picture in case you can see what went wrong.

So I think I have two choices:
1. Just add a stich and hope it all works out to be not so noticable
2. Unknit everything very carefully until I can find the problem.

Remind me again why I didn't use a lifeline!?!?!

Any thoughts?

bellium
06-06-2007, 12:34 PM
ultimately, it depends on whether you can live with the mistake...i just finished that scarf as well, and there are one or two "slip-ups" in my work - it doesn't bother me in a scarf like this - i find the mistakes barely noticeable - but if it's going to drive you crazy, then maybe you should frog until you find your mistake...

mum2caden
06-06-2007, 12:56 PM
I would frog it personally- just because I hate having mistakes in my knitting (even though I am generally the only one who sees it!). From now on- use a lifeline!! I usually have two or three lifelines going at the same time in a project- just in case I made a mistake further back without noticing and took the lifeline out of that repeat.. I am never stuck now.

I even use lifelines in "easy" knitting- because I have a 2 year old and you never know when you will have to drop what you are doing, lol.

Calamintha
06-06-2007, 01:26 PM
I've been knitting lace for quite a few years and minor mistakes happen. Sometimes you are aware of it and sometimes you don't find it til you are blocking.

The thing of it is when you don't know specifically what you did wrong I would be in favor of frogging instead of just randomly adding or subtracting stitches. It might not matter with a sweater but in lace patterns you can wind up throwing the whole thing out of kilter by doing that. If I know, for example, that I left out a YO on the previous row between the 8th and 9th stitch then I will lift the bar between the stitches and add it in on the next row. If you can identify the place in the pattern where you made the mistake and correct it then that's ok otherwise I would say frog because you may just wind up compounding the error. It's also helpful to go back over your work to identify the error because then you will be more aware of it in the future.

If I remember correctly Branching Out changes the stitch count on certain rows so if you are not already counting at the end of each row to make sure you have the right number of stitches I would recommend that.

suziehomemaker
06-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Ok - I need to face the inevitable then. Tonight I will unknit slowly until I can find the problem. It's been beautiful and perfect so far so I might as well fix it since it's only taking back a few rows.

Besides - Calamintha, you made me realize that I probably compounded the problem and that's why I had an extra stitch before and short one stitch now.

Wish me luck and lots of patience!

:pray:

suziehomemaker
06-07-2007, 08:34 AM
UPDATE -

I unknitted 6 rows and finally found my mistake. I had included one extra yarn over, that's it! Thanks to everyone for giving me the courage to fix it! I was so close to just ripping the whole thing!

mel.b
06-08-2007, 08:11 PM
after row 1, you should have 31 stitches TOTAL, including the yarn overs.

row 2: k the first 3, purl 25 then k the last 3. yes, you will purl the yarn overs.

(I'm working on Branching Out right now.)

HTH :)

Thank-you jodi, you have just saved my life:cheering:

I started this scarf last night and was doing fine until row 9 so I frogged it. I started again and after row 1 I had 6 too many stitches. It was like 11.30 at night so I frogged it again and went to bed. This morning I haven't been knitting, but just reading the pattern and counting it with the stitches on my needles and STILL couldn't get it right. I couldn't work out what i was doing wrong as it worked the first time! I'm so thankfull I found this thread, I was going to post and ask what I was doing wrong! Now I realised i have cast on 31 stitches, not 25!! That'd be why I have 6 too many at the end of the first row:roflhard: So I'm off to take 6 stitches off my cast on and start again.

I'm using a wool from 'Sean Sheep' that is called 'Flinders' and the colour is 'Rosewood'. It's 50% tencil and 50% acrylic and is a burnt pinky/red colour with a bit of a sheen. It's really soft and when I get started I'll post a picture.

As an aside, I found reading the pattern really hard and then saw the chart. I didn't think I would be able to follow the chart, but realised it is just like a cross-stitch chart (of which I do a lot of). So I typed up the chart in a table in a word document including the pearl rows and also changed it so I'm reading left to right (rather than right to left). As I go along, I just highlight the stitches I have done, just like you do when you cross-stitch...no more loosing my place:happydance:

Mel.

suziehomemaker
06-15-2007, 12:39 PM
I finished knitting this last night and blocked it this morning. It's currently drying but I did post some pictures up on my blog since it was my first try at blocking something ever. I've been knitting now for over 6 years and I've never blocked a project!

I can't wait until it's dry - I hope my mother likes it!

mel.b
06-20-2007, 05:18 AM
Hi Suzie,

Your scarf looks great! I also finished mine but it didn't block to well as I used wool that was an acrylic/tencil blend. I'm still happy with it though and will probably get some better wool to do it again.

Mel.b

suziehomemaker
06-20-2007, 08:41 AM
I think I might try this again with some thinner yarn. I definitely want to invest in some blocking wires first though. Can you try blocking it again to see if it turns out better? What went wrong?

wolfette
09-21-2007, 04:16 PM
I made my first one out of the Silky Wool ( in a blue-grey heather) and I'm making a second using Plymouth's Royal Bamboo in a soft sage green. It's a worsted weight, so I went with a size 9 needle and things look go so far. The Silky Wool is a bit "picky" for me, but the bamboo yarn is sooo soft.

D
10-02-2007, 07:55 PM
I've been working on this one for, what seems like, the past year - more off than on. I've been battle a knitting funk and start-up-too-many-projects-itis So a KAL should encourage me! I'm on the 13th repeat right now, I'll take some pictures later to share the progress with you all! Lemme tell you, I love lifelines! Use them!

I do have an old progress pic, taken at the 8th repeat:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/141/373957809_298437b9f7.jpg

D
10-05-2007, 01:58 AM
Here are my latest progress pictures, as promised. I've only just started repeat numero 15. The color is very much washed out in the full shot, I need more light. But the detail shot is more accurate in color. I did forget to mention that I'm using a lace weight wool from handpaintedyarn, I forget the color.