PDA

View Full Version : OT, kitty sick and needed to vent

XbelovedXoneX
04-30-2006, 09:24 PM
So one of my cats is sick and I'm worried to death. I'm not able to take him to the vet until tomorrow(monday) and I feel so horrible about it. I woke up to hear him throwing up on Saturday. It was just a clear liquid so I thought he was trying to dislodge a hairball so I gave him some hairball treats. But he's been throwing up since... and hasn't eaten or accepted water from what i've seen. I'm soo scared. I hate taking him to the vet because he gets so anxious and terrified. Plus I have no idea how we will be able to afford the tests I know the vet will want to run. My husband has to take him to the vet since I can't get the time off work. I feel like such a bad cat momma!

Please keep my Cozmo in your hearts. :heart:

and thank you so much for reading this!

Ellen Edwards
04-30-2006, 09:54 PM
Now--you're NOT a bad cat mama!! And it seems it's always on a weekend when they get sick. Cosmo could just have a little infection and need antibiotics--just make sure he can get to some water if he wants it, he's not going to starve before Monday!!

Our vet has always let me pay ---by the month--until I can pay it all---so I don't think yours would want you to pay it all now!! Don't worry about that, either---now you get some sleep sp you can get up tomorrow and take Cosmo!!! :heart:

sfavereau
04-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Cozmo is definitely in my thoughts and heart! I know exactly how you feel having my own furball have 2 knee surgeries and probably 2 more in the future (he's a 70lb mix, and oh so cute!).

You are not a bad cat momma though! The simple fact that you are worried shows this. And you are doing the best you can and getting him to the vet ASAP. Hopefully, it will be something easily treatable and he'll be back to normal.

XbelovedXoneX
04-30-2006, 10:38 PM
thanks for your support! Right now he's sitting in front of his food and water, looking so forlorn and looking like he's thinking "if i could only hold down a little..." poor little (well, actually quite big) guy! ;)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-30-2006, 10:46 PM
Kitty hugs for your kitty!

Claire06
04-30-2006, 11:28 PM
Your poor kitty!

I know all about that sort of thing. We have an accident-prone cat - she's only just over a year old and has been to the vet more times than I can remember - numerous injured paws, a broken leg, the flu...... She's had so many antibiotics and antiinflamitries in her short life I'm surprised she's not immune to them! It's just about time to get her latest lot of stitches out....

Anyway we decided to get pet insurance when we found out that the cost to cover her for a year was the same ammount that we spent at the vet in ONE WEEK! Just something that you may want to consider.

She's not naughty, she just makes bad choices :rollseyes:

Anyway I hope he gets better soon. You're not a bad mummy because you notice and care!

geekgolightly
04-30-2006, 11:36 PM
if she can pass the pinch test, shes hydrated enough not to worry that she will pass in the night. take her skin between her shoulder blades and lift up. if it stays, shes really dehydrated. if it bounces back in place shes ok for now.

if she is dehydrated, you can try dropper liquid, or best, if you can get ahold of insulin syringes and fill them full of saline or sterile water (available at drug store) and inject them not in the muscle, but below the skin. that water will absorb through her circulatory system.

im probably being too cautious telling you this stuff, but i know what its like to have a sick sick animal and not be able to afford emergency care (walk in the door and its 150.00 right then and there. just for an assessment!)

i found a pretty decent site that explains lots of signs and symptoms in kitties
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/howto8.html

ill keep cozmo in my thoughts and heart tonight.

:heart:

Jan in CA
04-30-2006, 11:41 PM
Awwwww! Poor kitty! The last two times my cat got sick was on a weekend, too. We ended up having to go the emergency clinic and man was that expensive!

Hugs to you both! :heart:

Skater
04-30-2006, 11:43 PM
Sorry about your kitty :( . Hope it works out okay and that she's all right.

04-30-2006, 11:48 PM
I'm so sorry your baby is sick. My boy did the same thing a while back, right after he would eat he'd turn around and throw up and most of the time it was just bile. And I too, was freaking out cause they are never sick. I called the vet and he said to give him the petromalt twice a day for a week and I did that and he got better. I'm sure its nothing serious, but I too will say a prayer for you and your baby. :heart: :heart:

I tell you these kids, they are my life also, so don't think you're not doing enough, going a day without food or water is just fine. Mine could stand to go a week ;) :lol: Such tummies on those two.

Remember this too, people who love their animals as if they were their children should NEVER be ashamed for feeling the way they do. There's more of US out there than one might think. ;) My friend once told me that its because God made us to feel that way. We can't help the way we feel about things and wanting to give our 'kids' the world is a wonderful character trait, embrace it.

aylaanne
04-30-2006, 11:54 PM
Oh, I'd be sick with worry if it was my cat. Good luck tomorrow. I hope everything works out alright!

wends
05-01-2006, 12:20 AM
Cozmo will be in my thoughts and prayers. You're not a bad cat momma! I felt the same way about me when I had to take mine in for surgery in March but I was just feeling helpless at not being able to help him. You're great for taking such good care of him.

Here's hoping Cozmo is back to his old self soon.

Andrea
05-01-2006, 04:38 AM
Oh don't feel you're a bad mommy!! You are not!
My kitty is sick right now too (bacteria in her urine)...both of them puke daily...it's always their food. Doctor said nothing seems to be wrong with them other than their food. So, now I have to go find some hypo allergenic (sp?) food for their little tummies.

I'll keep you and Cozmo in my thoughts!! :heart:

XbelovedXoneX
05-01-2006, 06:47 AM
thank you all so much! reading all your responses made me feel so much better! I'm too sick with worry to even go to work and let my husband take him to the vet... So work will just have to deal with that! I know they will be mad too... last month a woman's dog died and she didn't come in. My co-workers attitudes were just appalling! I'm calling a few vets offices as soon as they open this morning... so hopefully I can get this taken care of.

The people on this board really warm my heart. You guys are so great! :cheering:

Nikki
05-01-2006, 07:43 AM
gentle hugs for both of you. It's so scary when they get sick, and you feel so helpless. Let us hear how the vet visit goes.
Nikki

XbelovedXoneX
05-01-2006, 10:35 AM
update on Cozmo:
So I just got back from the vet. Cozmo had gotten a lot worse since last night. They decided to admit him since he was dehydrated and possibly had low blood sugar since he was shaking so bad. He was so weak that he could barely use his hind legs. Also, he must have been lying in his own vomit because he had some in his fur. So they are going to hook him up to an IV for fluids and then Xray to see if there's any blockages. I don't know how my husband and I will be able to pay for the visit... it was quoted at over $500. :(

but still, thanks again to everyone for the kind words.

Andrea
05-01-2006, 10:37 AM
:crying: Oh no...I hope they figure what's wrong with him!!! I'm so sorry...My thoughts are with you!
:heart: Cozmo :heart:

aylaanne
05-01-2006, 12:22 PM
When Peanut needed surgery it cost almost $800. I ended up getting a high-limit credit card and putting her bill on that, then I paid it off and never used it again. I hope you are able to find a solution. Good luck to cosmo.

05-01-2006, 12:28 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your baby, I'll keep saying a prayer throughout the day for him and you.

I can't imagine they wouldn't do a payment arrangement with you. That
is a lot of money to have to shell out in one visit. It never hurts to ask. Good luck.

XbelovedXoneX
05-01-2006, 01:09 PM
I asked them about arrangements, but the most they would do was take a deposit and then the full amount would be due when he is released. There also was the option of getting this credit card that was only good at veterinary hospitals, but my credit isn't so hot so i knew I wouldn't get approved.

jdee
05-01-2006, 01:20 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry about your Cozmo baby. Being a cat mama myself, I know how you feel. We had to pay for an $800 surgery on our Merlin last year. We put it on the credit card, and luckily, our tax refund came in before we got the bill. Otherwise, we would probably still be paying for it. But what other choice do we have when our babies are sick? It's so hard.

Anyway, I'll definately keep Cozmo, and you too, in my thoughts and prayers. They really know how to touch out hearts, don't they?

Jennifer

Jan in CA
05-01-2006, 01:46 PM
Oh dear..I sure hope Cozmo is okay!!

XbelovedXoneX
05-01-2006, 03:47 PM
newest update:
So the vet called me... I think it's good news! They have given Cozmo 300 ml of fluids. When we were at the vet he was shaking really badly and the vet thought his blood sugar might be low. Since the IV the shaking has stopped and he also hasn't vomitted since he's been there. Both his kidney and pancreas enzymes were high. The vet thinks the kidney's were high due to his dehydration so that shouldn't be a big problem. The pancreas were high probably because he ate something that his digestive system couldn't handle. I love my kitty, but he's been known to eat just about anything! :doh: They will be keeping him overnight to give him more fluids, and then I will get a call tomorrow to let me know how he's doing!

:heart: to all of you, you have really helped me through this!

janelanespaintbrush
05-01-2006, 05:23 PM
I'm so relieved to hear Cozmo's gonna be okay! :cheering: I know what you mean about kitties eating anything. Our's needed surgery after snacking on some tasty telephone cord...

Danielle
05-01-2006, 05:45 PM
:heart: Hugs to Cozmo :heart:
You might want to check into pet insurance. I had it on my last cat, and it I was reimbursed for almost everything. (She would get sick about every 3 - 6 months, and they couldn't figure out what it was. Each visit was at least $300 +.) It's a long story, but the pet insurance was inexpensive, and was well worth it! :thumbsup: Here's (http://www.petinsurance.com/) the link.

VictoiseC
05-01-2006, 06:49 PM
Oh geez I'm so glad it looks like your baby will be ok! Wow. It's so DRAINING isn't it when they get sick? I thought my girl was really going down again (she's developed asthma since last year) and all of a sudden she stopped having attacks so I'm hoping it really is a seasonal changeover thingy. Vets prices vary so much! We live in New York city where it's impossible to go to a vet coz of the prices, we are fortunate to have a country place upstate and the visits are crazy! So inexpensive you want to take the doc out for dinner o r something. Glad you kept us posted.
all the best,

sfavereau
05-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Glad to hear about Cozmo! I'm still keeping him in my thoughts. Let us know how he's doing!

My guy had 2 knee surgeries. The first was just over $1600 and the second would have been more expensive, but ended up being $600 because our orthopedic surgeon only charged us for anesthesia, implants, and 3 hours of tech time (basically, he didn't charge us for his time). Now we get x-rays at 50% off and no charge for the office visit (we're getting monthly checkups to see how he's progressing). I LOVE this orthopedic surgeon. If only he were a regular vet! LOL We are also going to physical therapy once a week, but it only costs $45 for the underwater treadmill session. We are really lucky to have found these people! I wish I could find human drs with this much caring and compassion!

sara_jayne
05-01-2006, 07:58 PM
I hope Cosmo continues to feel better - hopefully tomorrow he can come home! I also hope the vet can figure out what is really going on :??

We are really lucky to have found these people! I wish I could find human drs with this much caring and compassion!

I couldn't agree more! My little dog (10 months old) had to have major hip surgery and both the vets were amazing. It was still expensive, but they have taken great care of him and are always there to answer my insane questions.

I too keep a credit card that is used only to keep up our credit rating - but it is soley for emergency vet visits and surgery that comes on quicker than we can save for it.

Ellen Edwards
05-01-2006, 09:39 PM
Just checking to see how Cosmo is---I was so sad when I read of him being dehydrated and then lying in his own vomit, poor muffin!! Is he an indoor/outdoor cat?? Mine is--and he gets into everything it seems. it makes me want to keep him in--but he'd be so miserable now that he's been out so long.

When my first cat was 17 years old, his kidneys started to go bad, and I would take him to the vet about every month and they'd give him fluids underneath his skin!! I had no idea I could have done it myself!! And he would eat nothing until I boiled a bit of fresh chicken every 2 days and he drank the broth and a little of the meat each day. THe vet told my daughter's neighbor that she'd never seen anyone anymore dedicated to keeping her cat alive! We just loved him so much, and he wasn't in pain--he was just losing weight and failing of old age....he was a fine fine kittycat--old Scratch!!

SOunds like Cosmo is going to be alright, X!! I'm so glad--things will work out--they always manage to. ;)

dustinac
05-01-2006, 09:43 PM
:happydance: so glad to read Cozmo will be ok!!! I hope you get to bring him home tomorrow!! :thumbsup:

XbelovedXoneX
05-01-2006, 09:50 PM
Thanks everyone! I hope he can home tomorrow too... My husband why just talking about how he was sad because Cozmo usually snuggles up next to him while he watches tv. Plus I know Cozmo doesn't like being away from home at all!

Is he an indoor/outdoor cat?? Mine is--and he gets into everything it seems.

He is strictly an indoor cat... but he still manages to get into stuff! Plus we had my stepdaughter this weekend and she's always leaving stuff around. She's nearly a teenager, what do i expect? :rofling: But I have a feeling he may have gotten into an easter basket that was left out... that shiny grass can just be so tempting I guess![/b]

XbelovedXoneX
05-01-2006, 09:50 PM
oops, i double posted that. sorry!

dustinac
05-01-2006, 09:52 PM
I have to watch my indoor kitty too.. the kids will drop something from the table and he wants it... and that Easter grass was really tempting to him.. I have to watch him with my yarn too he chews it in half.. :rollseyes: I'll be knitting and he will be laying next to me and before I know it my yarn has come to the end... :rofling:

Ellen Edwards
05-01-2006, 10:40 PM
Yep--if it was the grass I'm sure that could have definitely made him sick--especially if it got tangled inside him somehow. I remember my mother in law's kitty always wanted to eat the icesicles that fell from her Christmas tree!! SHe got really sick one year--but after it finally passed through her, she was ok again! They're pretty tough little guys! :D

Jan in CA
05-01-2006, 10:47 PM
I've learned not to use Easter grass or tinsel. We have no live plants and we don't use candles. Life with a kitty has to be restricted I guess, but the kitty is worth it.
http://www.smilieland.com/graphics/ccat3.gif

05-01-2006, 11:28 PM
I've learned not to use Easter grass or tinsel. We have no live plants and we don't use candles. Life with a kitty has to be restricted I guess, but the kitty is worth it.

Same here with those things, not worth the risk for us.

But I have to tell you this story. My hubby and I were watching television one night a few yrs ago and we had a candle lit on the end table and our Max, who is the frisky of the two, was walking on the table where he shouldn't have been and all of a sudden I start to smell something burning!! :shock: I'm like, honey, what's that smell and sure enough he singed the fur on his tail!! :rofling: :rofling: Didn't phase him one bit!! I'm laughing right now thinking back. Oh, my goodness they sure are little boogers but our lives would be so empty without them. :heart: :heart: :heart:

As I type this it's 11:30 and he's in the kitchen batting around a clothespin! He makes me laugh so much. :heart: :heart:

Jan in CA
05-01-2006, 11:46 PM
But I have to tell you this story. My hubby and I were watching television one night a few yrs ago and we had a candle lit on the end table and our Max, who is the frisky of the two, was walking on the table where he shouldn't have been and all of a sudden I start to smell something burning!! :shock: I'm like, honey, what's that smell and sure enough he singed the fur on his tail!!

Yikes! I know someone who's cat jumped on the dining table during a romantic candle lit dinner and caught the tail on fire. It scared the cat so he started to climb the curtains which set them on fire! They managed to grab the cats tail to put it out and I don't remember what they did to the curtains. Kind ruined the mood to say the least. :roflhard: OH and the cat went to the vet and was fine.

jdee
05-02-2006, 12:22 AM
Oh, how funny. I used to have a cat that wanted to sniff everything. One day, I got home to find his whiskers singed. :rofling: Gee, I wonder how that happened.

I'm so glad that Cozmo is feeling better. I hope he's 100% tomorrow, and can come home where he belongs.

XbelovedXoneX
05-02-2006, 07:10 AM
This Christmas I told my husband no tinsel because I knew not to trust the cats around it, even though neither of them had been around it! I should have assumed the same with the easter grass! I think for next easter I'll buy that shredded paper-type grass that I saw at one store.

About the burning cat incidents... my uncle has a cat who constantly singes her whiskers staring at candles! She's not sniffing, just staring! Silly cats. ;)

dustinac
05-02-2006, 08:15 AM
:rofling: her poor whiskers!!! We don't use tinsel never have lol I never cared for the look of it... I do burn candles though keep them on spaces the cat isn't allowed.. my stove..kitchen counter tops... but I also use alot of candle warmers in the other rooms
on things he isn't allowed to be on.. right now he is taking his paw and catching the letters as I type... he loves the computer...

fingers crossed for you and Cozmo today :thumbsup:

Skater
05-02-2006, 09:19 AM
XbelovedXoneX, the story of your uncle's cat reminds me how my cat suddenly stops and stares at the air behind me for a very long time, with eyes wide open, like she sees a ghost. She makes me look. They are so funny sometimes :lol:...or maybe there really is a ghost :oo:?

Good luck with your cat.

XbelovedXoneX
05-02-2006, 11:17 AM
ANOTHER UPDATE: So Cozmo is pretty stable now. But he's still really lethargic and not doing much. They want to keep him and run another test to see if his pancreas & kidney enzymes have changed. I really don't think my husband and I can afford all this. I've applied for aid from http://www.fveap.org so I really hope they can help... :pray: [/url]

janelanespaintbrush
05-02-2006, 11:35 AM
That's great about Cozmo. I went to that emergency assistance site and it just made me all teary-eyed reading those stories. :crying: Let us know if they end up helping you. I sort of want to make a donation, but I'm hesitant to give to a place I don't know the background of. If they are able to help you, then I'll know they're okay and will send a little something. Good luck with everything and hope Cozmo can come home soon.

XbelovedXoneX
05-02-2006, 04:33 PM
Well , I was notified I wasn't able to get any financial aid from that organization because they currently don't have any funds available. I'm calling in about a 1/2 hour to see if they are releasing Cozmo today. :pray:

dustinac
05-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Was this group referred to you through your Vet? If not I'd check with them alot of times vets will know of programs to help you with bills... or call the local Humane Society and see if they know of a program... Good Luck and hope he is home soon :D

BinkyKat
05-02-2006, 10:51 PM
I know how frightening it is to not know what's wrong with your pet and also to worry about how you'll pay for it. Too many people euthanize their pets simply cuz they won't spend a dime to care for them if their ill but then those of us counting our coins will give our arms and legs to make them better. I would eat bread and water or less for my Binky....
We had to have him in and out of the Vet over a weekend when he developed a kidney stone, very dangerous for cats. Thankfully I knew about the signs from a friend who's cat had the same problem. DH was off work for 30 days due to hernia surgery so he was on pain meds, the cat got valium to relax him so he would pee, and me... I got NUTHIN but worry!!! They catheterized him 3 times! the first two they didnt' charge for cuz he pulled them out, even when they hobbled his leg! Thank god he came through just fine, but he still gets twitchy whenever we go for checkups. I really need to sign up for pet insurance for that very reason... this is a good reminder for me to do so.
Luckily our vet lets us pay what we can as long as we send something, but if it were me...I'd bounce a check to get my cat home... I'd rather deal with finding funds to put in the bank than to not be able to take my cat home...
Best wishes for his health and answers to your dilemma!
:thumbsup: :heart:

XbelovedXoneX
05-03-2006, 07:19 AM
update: are you guys sick of all these updates yet?? :lol: I talked with the vet last night and he said they ran a second blood test and his kidney & pancreas levels are back to normal. He's still no longer shaking or vomitting. He's not really eating much and the vet had to force feed him a spoonful of food. But they said he can be released today! I'll be so happy to have my baby home!

Oh, and the final estimate was $648. :shock: So, the mortgage is going to have to be late! I don't care, I just want kitty home. :heart:

aylaanne
05-03-2006, 07:33 AM
No, we are NOT sick of the updates! Keep 'em coming! Glad to hear you get your baby back. That is exactly how I felt when Peanut was in the hospital.

Andrea
05-03-2006, 09:27 AM
:cheering: :cheering: I'm so happy for you and your kitty! You'll find a way to pay for everything, I'm sure! Couple of hours OT at work could do it, right?

photogirl72
05-03-2006, 10:52 AM
:sunny:

I am so happy for your kitty. Thank goodness!

XbelovedXoneX
05-03-2006, 11:45 AM
I actually have been working overtime so that helps a bit! Unfortunately, we won't be able to work anymore OT at the end of this week. I've even been thinking about if I have any jewelry that would be worth pawning. :thinking: haha

Jan in CA
05-03-2006, 12:54 PM
Glad your kitty is going to be okay!

Will they let you pay in installments? Like maybe 3 payments so your morgage won't be late? I think you should tell them the situation if you haven't.

XbelovedXoneX
05-03-2006, 06:35 PM
Cozmo is home! He is doing well. He's a little lazy but he's still walking about and acting pretty normal. His appetite is reduced off course too, but he's eating solid foods. We have to give him an antibiotic 2x a day for a little while too. After 3 weeks they want to check him again to see if perhaps he needs a change in his diet. They think he needs to be on a low-protien diet. I'm soooo happy to have my baby home! :cheering: My other cat isn't so happy tho. Everytime he walks buy her, she hisses! I think she just liked being the only child for a few days. :D

sfavereau
05-03-2006, 07:16 PM
Yay! I'm so happy for you and Cozmo!

05-03-2006, 11:13 PM
My cup runneth over!!! My heart is so happy for you that you have your baby back home with you. Yea!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Angelia
05-04-2006, 12:12 AM
Oh, I am so happy that your baby's home where he belongs!

I also hope you can work out a payment plan with your vet; many of them are pretty good about that when the bill is so high.

Sending hugs your way!! :heart: :heart:

XbelovedXoneX
05-04-2006, 07:21 AM
unfortunately they wouldn't do any sort of payment plan. We could've gotten this special credit card that's only for vets, but my credit is pretty bruise so I didn't think we would get approved. We had to make the full payment. We had the money in our account luckily, just some bills along the way will have to suffer.

janelanespaintbrush
05-04-2006, 12:01 PM
So glad Cozmo's back home. :D It's so funny that your other kitty got jealous. One time a friend of mine with three cats had to take one to the vet. The other two stood at the door waiting expectantly for her to come back the whole time she was gone. (I think it was just a short appt but who knows how long they would've sat there.) Gotta wonder what goes on in their heads sometimes... :thinking:

sara_jayne
05-04-2006, 12:05 PM
:cheering: I'm glad that Cozmo is home! Cats are silly - I always thought they could "smell" the vet's office on the other cat and that made them standoffish.

Andrea
05-04-2006, 12:59 PM
I'm very glad your baby is HOME! :happydance: I'm sure the other kitty just smells "vet" and it's driving her crazy!

:heart: Cozmo :heart:

Angelia
05-04-2006, 04:36 PM
Well that stinks about the no payment plan. But I know what it's like to have a huge vet bill and have to shirk on some others...

jdee
05-04-2006, 08:01 PM
I'm so happy that Cozmo is home. :happydance: