PDA

View Full Version : FO: My First Pair of Socks (Page 2)

jamadian75
05-03-2006, 09:37 PM
:cheering:

As you can tell by the photo, this was a road trip triumph. Hubby (aka The Master Driver) tried them on in the hotel because giddy little me couldn't keep my mouth shut and keep them a Father's Day surprise as I intended. He said "these are great, after a while I don't even feel I'm wearing them!" Then he laid it out in front of me in every room he found me so that I won't get Second Sock Syndrome. :rofling:

http://static.flickr.com/44/138403462_b0f0738f41_m.jpg

Special thanks to Becca for her encouragement. :heart:

Sock #2 - loooooooook out!

Ingrid
05-03-2006, 09:54 PM
:cheering: :cheering: Great job! And it's so lovely that your dh loves them that much! :happydance:

Jan in CA
05-03-2006, 10:00 PM
That's a wonderful sock!

loveswildflowers
05-04-2006, 12:51 AM
I haven't gotten up my courage yet to try a sock. But yours looks great! You'll have to be sure and post when you finish the mate. Do they work up pretty quick?

hedgehog
05-04-2006, 08:54 AM
Wow! That sock is great! I really love the colors.

And i had a snoop on your blog - WHOA! What a GORGEOUS family!! Btw, that white crochet dress is S-T-U-N-N-I-N-G!! :shock:

I'm well impressed! :cheering:

-hh

jamadian75
05-04-2006, 09:03 AM
Thanks so much - I made sure to CO for sock #2 already and got a few inches done on it last night

loveswildflowers - it does work up pretty quickly! The slowest part was the heel and turning the heel, but that's mostly because I was nervous about this part and made a few mistakes - I'm sure it will be much better the 2nd time around :XX:

hedgehog - thank you so much!! :D Stop by my blog anytime!

I just love this forum!!! (If you do a search I'm sure you'll find that phrase is in 80% of my posts here ) :blush:

sara_jayne
05-04-2006, 09:49 AM
Wonderful job!! It is so nice that he loves the sock!!

Danielle
05-04-2006, 10:46 AM
Great job! :thumbsup: What yarn did you use?

jamadian75
05-04-2006, 10:54 AM
Great job! :thumbsup: What yarn did you use?

I used Lorna's Laces sport weight yarn in "Bee Stripe" (http://www.lornaslaces.net/colors.asp).

I bought it here (http://www.uncommonthreads-pa.com)

Danielle
05-04-2006, 10:56 AM

nicolethegeek
05-04-2006, 12:21 PM
Bee Stripe is the perfect name for that yarn... that's exactly what I was thinking as I looked at it! Congrats to your first sock, and welcome to the addicting world of sock knitting!

rebecca
05-04-2006, 12:25 PM
:D FANTASTIC job...girl, u did some fast knitting on that sock :thumbsup: I'm so excited that your hubby loves them...WTG :cheering: :happydance: :cheering:

Andrea
05-04-2006, 01:01 PM
Then he laid it out in front of me in every room he found me so that I won't get Second Sock Syndrome. :rofling:

:roflhard: That sounds like my DH when I was making his clogs!
Looks great! Good job!

kemp
05-04-2006, 03:02 PM
Great job! That yarn is sooooooooo cool and I too, have to comment on your beautiful family. I totally had a little giggle when I saw the egg carton caterpillar. I haven't seen one of those in forever.

CindyH
05-04-2006, 03:50 PM
Nice job! And so great that your husband loves it and is helping keep you motivated! I agree with Nicole - sock knitting can be very addictive!! (I currently have 2 different socks on the needles, and might add another...) ;)

Angelia
05-04-2006, 07:22 PM
That sock is adorable--Congratulations on knitting your first!! :thumbsup:

loveswildflowers
05-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the encouragement in regards to sock knitting. I really do think I am beginning to get my courage up for that. I too had a peek at your blog and your family is darling! Knit on! :XX: :happydance:

Duckling326
05-09-2006, 01:09 PM
Awesome job!! What a great sock!!! Turning the heel and shaping the gusset are my favorite parts of making socks. So glad your Hubby loves his sock.

I love wearing my hand knit socks they're so comfy and warm.

jamadian75
05-10-2006, 10:29 PM
I'm more than 1/2 finished with sock #2 - no SSS for me!!!

This one seems to be smaller though, and my guage is somehow tighter :thinking:

Anyway - I re-checked the label, the yarn color is Safari (not Bee Stripe - although it could totally pass for Bee Stripe)

geekgolightly
05-10-2006, 11:33 PM
Yayayayayay!!!! its so exciting finishing the first sock. and yours looks perfect! :happydance:

knitterma
05-11-2006, 11:49 AM
I love your blog!

I totally know what you meant by the hubby criticizing the stash - I hide mine all over the house so he doesn't realize how much I really have (and I really don't have much!). :lol:

Knitted socks are an excellent idea for Father's Day ... think I may do the same for DH as he also doesn't pay attention to what I'm knitting (though, like you it is unlikely I could keep it a secret!).

Off to shop for sock yarn!

jamadian75
05-15-2006, 06:10 PM
A PAIR of socks - can you believe?! Moreover, can you believe a person would be THIS excited about socks??!

http://photos1.blogger.com/hello/295/8256/400/Finished%20Socks%201.jpg

Let me tell you how I knew I was hooked on this sock knitting thing...I realized 1/2 way through sock #2 that I was knitting with a completely different dye lot yarn! :doh: :oops:

Since the yarn store is all the way in York, PA and I'm significantly NOT close to it, I just knit right along....dum dee dumm dummm....and DH doesn't even mind! I use this motto for my other hobbies too - sometimes done is better than perfect.

I did Kitchener stitch people...I can't ask myself for more than that.

I hope you all are enjoying this totally portable and practical use of your stashes as well. Thanks for the compliments and blog hits. MWAH!

Katheros
05-15-2006, 06:28 PM
One good thing about husbands is they never notice colors! I think they look great.

And, please forgive me for this, but are your girls twins? I saw their pictures on your blog and was curious.

jamadian75
05-15-2006, 07:11 PM
One good thing about husbands is they never notice colors! I think they look great.

And, please forgive me for this, but are your girls twins? I saw their pictures on your blog and was curious.

You are so right about colors - HA! Men and details :rollseyes:

It's ok to ask about the girls, I am asked that in the grocery store all the time. Nope, they are not twins. They are 18 months apart actually, but there is only 3" and 3lbs difference between them. :lol:

Angelia
05-15-2006, 11:56 PM
A PAIR of socks - can you believe?! Moreover, can you believe a person would be THIS excited about socks??!

Yes, yes I can!! And they look fantastic--different dye lot and all! :inlove: :inlove: Congrats, and double congrats for the Kitchener stitch. Now, that didn't hurt too much, did it? ;)

Katheros
05-16-2006, 02:35 AM

You are so right about colors - HA! Men and details :rollseyes:

It's ok to ask about the girls, I am asked that in the grocery store all the time. Nope, they are not twins. They are 18 months apart actually, but there is only 3" and 3lbs difference between them. :lol:

They looked so close in size, that's why I thought maybe they were. I do get asked if my boys are twins (they are) all the time and it tends to get on my nerves. I have an older brother who is 18 months older, almost to the day, and we get the twins question a lot too.

sara_jayne
05-16-2006, 09:29 AM
Great Job!!

Shandeh
06-02-2006, 01:07 AM
Way cool! Ok, tell me....was your favorite part when the heel was made? I always get excited at that part, because it feels like I'm "really" knitting something.

jamadian75
06-02-2006, 01:12 AM
Way cool! Ok, tell me....was your favorite part when the heel was made? I always get excited at that part, because it feels like I'm "really" knitting something.

You hit it on the hed carolina red! Especially on the very 1st sock and my first experience with short row shaping, it was all really exciting.
In fact - reading this note from you makes me want to start knitting another pair!

AnreeAce
06-02-2006, 09:26 AM
:cheering: Hooray!!! Two socks, how cool is that? I love the colors, and it's really great how much your DH likes them.

Way to go!

rebecca
06-02-2006, 11:25 AM
:cheering: :cheering: I'm lovin' those socks :thumbsup:

Cristy
06-02-2006, 05:42 PM
those look great! I like socks too!

Angelia
06-02-2006, 08:23 PM
Turning the heel is the best part of sock-making, I think! Suddenly, this tube looks like something... :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Silver
06-02-2006, 09:24 PM
Congrats!!!

jamadian75
06-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Why thank you kindly!

I'd love to see some pictures of what you are working on too AnreeAce! That cabled afghan sounds interesting. I've recently discovered the wonder of cables too. :D