PDA

View Full Version : somebody suggest good knitting books

madhanahari
05-06-2006, 11:57 AM
Hi everyone,
can somebody suggest a good knitting book which covers over all kinds of pattern and which is intresting too.iam fairly a beginner but i have some book collection like knitters bible,pursenality plus,encyclopedia of knitting.bu iam still looking for good books somebody suggest me good books that would encourage me knitting .

rebecca
05-06-2006, 12:00 PM
:D Goodness, there are so many good knitting books, it's impossible for me to choose! You can find a nice variety of good books @ KnitPicks (http://www.knitpicks.com/).
What are u interested in knitting?

Danielle
05-06-2006, 12:17 PM
Some of my favorite books are the Stich n Bitch, Felted Knits, and Hollywood Knits Style by Suss Cousins. There are some great patterns in that one. :thumbsup:

nicolethegeek
05-06-2006, 12:28 PM
I've enjoyed my copy of "Knitting for Dummies".

geekgolightly
05-06-2006, 12:48 PM
im a visual learner so the best thing that happened to me was finding these videos amy did. all of the book instructions werent all that helpful for learning the basics.

past knitting purling increasing and decreasing, i really like the big book of stitch patterns. gives me lots of stitch patterns and i get to imagine different things i want to try. has really come in handy as a reference.

and the silver sock tutorial helped me make socks when all i had done previously was scarves. http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Beginning.htm

for info on other knitting stuff, like types of yarns and what groups are out there and knitting "culture" the stitch and bitch book is great!

Mama Bear
05-06-2006, 08:56 PM
For a HUGE selection of stitch patterns you can't go wrong with Barbara Walker's "Treasury of Knitting" books. Especially the first two volumes. They are a bit pricey at $30 each, but I doubt I can knit enough in a lifetime to use all the stitches. These are not specific garment patterns, but a wide varitey of different kinds of stitch patterns.

If you buy from elann.com and set up an account, you get 6 vouchers worth $2.50 each, for buying one of these books. Each voucher can be used on.. I THINK each $25 of yarn purchase (but check the details to be sure).

Vogue recently came out with a new stitch dictionary also, but I haven't seen it yet.

For knitted toys, I haven't found anything I like better than the Jean Greenhowe books. frugalhaus.com has a nice selection and you can often find them on ebay.

If you want to move away from exactly following patterns, and just learn more about knitting in general, anything by Elizabeth Zimmermann might interest you. "Knitting without tears" might be a good place to start. You can find all her books and video's at schoolhousepress.com

I really like having the "Vogue Book of Knitting" for general technique questions. There is also a section in the back with some basic sweater shape patterns.

"Knitting On the Edge" & "Knitting Over the Edge" by Nicky Epstein are great fun! Amazon has these marked down to $18.87 currently. These books will give you many stitch patterns that can be used on borders and edges as well as for embellishments to dress up a sweater, scarf or other item. They only have a few full garment patterns.

Those are books that I see keeping in my library long term regardless for reference.

Enjoy!
Mama Bear