PDA

View Full Version : Knitted baby sling

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-17-2006, 02:35 PM
Any ideas? I searched knitting Pattern Central already. I also googled "knit sling baby pattern" and came up with LOTS of sewing patterns, and some crochet, but no knit.

Ingrid
05-17-2006, 04:05 PM
I get the feeling that these are hard to come by because of the strechability of knit fabric. I suspect the baby will be down to mommy's knees after a shopping trip. Maybe you could copy the general shape and felt one?

amp926
05-17-2006, 04:23 PM
the only thing that i've seen is this http://www.littleturtleknits.com/pages/adultpatterns.php

Sara
05-17-2006, 08:29 PM
I think koolbreeze made one. You should ask her what she did (or found).

feministmama
05-18-2006, 01:07 AM
I luuuuuurv this project. I haven't knitted it. yet. :rollseyes:

KatyKoolkat
05-20-2006, 06:12 AM
Hey Hildie:

maybe you could figure somthing out from this (http://www.balterbaby.com/a-reviews/tickle-turdle-baby-sling.htm)
picture? It seeems to be just a tube, and if you could figure out dimensions, you would be all set!!

Also, just reading further, it has a faq where you learn how to measure to order one here (http://www.balterbaby.com/baby-slings-tickle-turdle/faq.htm) .

HTH!

Edited to add please let us know if you can figure something out.....I would love to try it as well!!!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-25-2006, 01:49 PM
thanks Katy! (i was going to put KKK, but chenged my mind!)

I'm going to experiment with them this weekend, I think.

KatyKoolkat
05-25-2006, 07:08 PM
LOL!

Let me know how it turns out cause I would love to knit one also!

K

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-25-2006, 09:21 PM
I'm wondering what yarn no use... nothing fuzzy or itchy or too strechy or too stiff, or too THIN because it would take FOR EV ER to knit... hmmm..... :thinking:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-25-2006, 10:55 PM
here's a picture (http://www.balterbaby.com/images/tickle-turdle/springmeadowssling.jpg) of the sling as it should fit before the baby is in it. The tube is doubled lengthwise... how wide to we think that is unfolded, maybe 18-20 inches??

Julie
05-25-2006, 11:22 PM
Well, on me, from pit to below-the-boob is 10".... so 20" sounds about right...though if it were for you... ;)

I wonder how many yards it would take...littleknits has Cascade Fixation Bulky on sale. :D

Jackie F.
05-26-2006, 01:00 AM
Thanks Katy for the link! Now I'm planning on making one for my 16-month-old toddler! I'm sick of the Snugli.

I'll probably make mine 42" around and 10" (doubled). Now...What yarn to use? Hilde, let us know what yarn you decide to use!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-26-2006, 02:21 PM
It's not for me it's not for me it's not for me!!!!!! :shock:

Not real sure what yarn to use... I was thinking merino style, but I don't want it to be hot, and i want it to be washable. I'm afraid cotton wouldn't be strechy enough, though :thinking:

cascade 220 superwash?

Julie
05-26-2006, 07:12 PM
Helloooooo Fixation Bulky (http://www.littleknits.com/products.php?cat=111)....part elastic!

IrishBaby
05-26-2006, 09:15 PM
I have about 10 slings and have tried knitting a sling before. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I wouldn't waste my time. :( It gets hopelessly stretched very quickly. Slings have to be supportive to be comfortable. And the mom will have to wash it after every wear to get it back to shape. I would think another gift would be more useful and appreciated. Or if you really want to give a sling, you might check out www.hotslings.com or www.kangarookorner.com .

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-26-2006, 11:52 PM
thanks for the warning irishbaby!

Pixywhispers
05-28-2006, 05:40 PM
I wore my son everywhere! I must have owned ten slings, and made most of them.

My tube type made out of stretch material looked similar to the knitted one shown for sale. My advice if you do go ahead would be make it tighter then you think it should be. My tube one had to be resewed tighter and tighter every so many months as baby grew. So I wonder how long these types of slings last if knitted.

It would be perfect for a newborn to about 4 months with the baby in cradle hold. It can be done, but I'm afraid its usability wont last very long.

One more caution. The ones being sold online are machine knitted. I have a machine knitter and my fabric made on it versus my hand knitting is much stronger. FWIW.

CDBear
10-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Gina Wilde has a new book out called Shibori Knits, and there is a baby sling in it. I looks like the sling is at least partially felted, so there shouldn't be much trouble with it stretching.....

I'm considering buying the book and making a couple for some friends having babies soon!

kellee0302
10-22-2008, 10:32 AM
I actually purchased the book from Shirbori Knits just for this baby sling. Haven't tried it yet but it is felted so that it wouldn't stretch. I have also seen many women with what looks to me like a sheet that has been tied around their neck. Seems simpler.

knitacholicknit
01-01-2009, 07:15 PM
do anyone know where i can find a pattern to knit a baby moby wrap or a baby carrier

Nanaof6
05-31-2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the idea ladies! I never gave this a thought and I love to sew . I have so much fabric in my stash too. I'm going to make a few for my Granddaughter for her :woot:baby.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW9m_8w_btc&feature=related

mahoot
12-30-2009, 10:02 AM
I know you are looking for knitted sling, I would go with felted sling for long use and ease of care plus no worries of stretching. But, just an FYI when my babies (human & dog) needed to be carried I just took 1 1/2 yards of the cheapest material I could buy and wrapped it around me and laid the baby in. When I have new babies (dog) I always carry them around this way to build the bond and keep them warm. With my Pomchi being so small and we live in Alaska she is always in her sling for the warmth factor lol. Now whenever I carried my child in this sling I did always have one hand on them just to insure safety and thankfully never had any problems. now with my grandson I purchased a nice cotton fabric with colors I love to carry him in. Just my 2 cents for ya. Good Luck