PDA

View Full Version : Cozy, anyone?

earthchick
05-22-2006, 02:18 PM
I know I'm not the only one either working on Cozy or about to start. Anyone want to join me in making it an official KAL? I'm on the verge of buying my yarn and getting started and would love to chat with others and share progress. :happydance:

sara_jayne
05-22-2006, 02:25 PM
I'd love to join earthchick but I just finished mine!! :( I hope you enjoy knitting it - it is such a great pattern and the finished product is so pretty!

gardenmommy
05-22-2006, 02:28 PM
YESS!!!! I just bought my yarn from Webs too! Just impatiently waiting for it to get here!

Although I'm so darn busy with work/business/kids out of school stuff, I hope I can keep up! My deadline is FIL's GF's birthday, October 1, so actually a few days before that to include shipping.

What are you doing yours in Stacey?

Woo hoo, my first KAL!

Celine
05-22-2006, 04:44 PM
Can you post a picture of what it is you are going to make? Is it a tea cozy?? :??

sara_jayne
05-22-2006, 04:48 PM
This is Cozy (http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATTcozy.html) - it is a shawl. ;)

earthchick
05-22-2006, 09:31 PM
Yay, Kristen, glad you're game. Woohoo!

Sara Jayne, you'll be our emeritus member! Your beautiful Cozy inspired me to finally get my butt in gear!

I feel silly that I didn't post the link to the pattern so that folks would know what I was talking about. :rollseyes: Sara Jayne, thanks for posting it! Celine, are you interested?

Kristen, I'm hoping to make mine for a November trip, though ideally I would finish before then b/c I'd like to make a second shawl for the trip as well. It's nice, though, to have the whole summer to work on it. I really want to knit mine in the Reynolds Mandalay that the designer used, but I'm still deciding. My LYS can order it for me, but only in a bag of 10. I have a 20% coupon for my LYS, so the 10 skeins there would cost me the same as buying 8 online, but I don't really need those extra 2 skeins. :thinking: Still trying to make up my mind. I have an LYS gift card burning a hole in my pocket while I sit here trying to figure out what to get....

gardenmommy
05-22-2006, 09:52 PM
I would have loved to do it in the original Reynolds Mandalay, but it was a bit out of my budget, although I did find some for 4.50 a skein on eBay, just not enough in colors I liked. I decided to do it in the Cascade Pima Silk in Natural bought off WEBS "tent sale" for $4.00 a skein, 80% cotton 20% silk. It's going to Florida, so I didn't want anything *too* warm!

earthchick
05-27-2006, 11:38 AM
Just checking in to say I finally ordered my yarn, first thing this morning. I'm participating in the Amazing Lace (http://amazinglace.licketyknit.com/) and hope it gets here in time for me to post the first challenge.

Kristen, has your yarn arrived yet?

gardenmommy
05-27-2006, 01:39 PM
UPS tracking says it's supposed to get here Tuesday :happydance: (not that I'm watching it or anything.... ;) )

boyforpele13
05-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Hi all!

I'm working on Cozy for the Amazing Lace too! :) I started it to get my first challenge in, I think maybe 2 or 3 repeats, but haven't had much time since, so I'm still at the VERY beginning! ;) Mine is in KP Andean Silk in Cinnamon and I really just love it so far.

This is STILL for my sister, decided I didn't like any of the other 100 shawls I had started for her in the last 9 months. ;)

earthchick
05-27-2006, 03:50 PM
Hey Sean - glad you're joining us! Your Amazing Lace challenge post was awesome. [p.s. so cool to see the savedarfur link in your sig line here]

Kristen, glad to hear your yarn is on its way. I'm sure I'll be checking tracking obsessively soon!

Robin R
05-27-2006, 11:35 PM
Stacey, the Cozy that you are going to make is simply gorgeous! I look forward to seeing the progress you all make. How long does it usually take to make something like this? :mrgreen:

sara_jayne
05-28-2006, 11:49 AM
Robin - the length of time it takes to knit something like this depends on how quickly you knit and how much time you have to knit! ;) I started mine mid-April and finished May 12th. Part of that time was me trying to figure out the pattern and swatching it. I'd say probably between 30 - 50 hours would be a good guess. It is a great first lace pattern to start with and the finished product is beautiful!

Here is a picture of mine (well, the one I gave as a gift) - the stitch detail in the second one gives you a better idea of the pattern than the knitty one does (even though the color washed out in the photo).

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h97/sarajbc/Knitting%20Projects/CozyFinished.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h97/sarajbc/Knitting%20Projects/CozyPattenWhileBlocking.jpg

Robin R
05-28-2006, 05:03 PM
Oh, Sara, it's lovely! Wow - I hope I can learn intricate stitches like that eventually. :mrgreen:

boyforpele13
05-28-2006, 05:06 PM
thanks, Stacey! I'm having a lot of fun with AL already, now just have to try to knit it some more. ;)

I deliberately avoid all forms of the news so I had no idea about Darfur until shopping for knitting stickers at CafePress, ironically enough. It's just devastating. :(

sara_jayne
05-28-2006, 07:50 PM
Oh, Sara, it's lovely! Wow - I hope I can learn intricate stitches like that eventually. :mrgreen:

Actually, Robin, there is nothing intricate about it - just a series of K, K2tog, yo and slips....not in that order of course :) It is all in the simplicity of the pattern!

gardenmommy
05-30-2006, 09:56 AM
Woo hoo, guess who just showed up? Mr. Brown with my box of Pima Silk! :happydance:

I have no idea when I'll be able to cast on, but I'll wait for you, Stacey! I haven't even looked that closely to see what size needle it takes. I may even go up a size for a more open and lacey effect since it's going to Florida.

sara_jayne
05-30-2006, 10:16 AM
:cheering: I love yarn deliveries!!!!

The pattern uses US 8 needles. My pattern didn't show the lace effect at all when I started. I blocked it VERY hard and the lace pattern finally showed (I used a mainly cotton based yarn). Going up a needle size would be a great idea if you want it more lacy.

earthchick
05-30-2006, 11:20 PM
:cheering: Yay, Kristen! Dontcha just love those boys in brown? ;)

My mailing news ain't so great. :( I double-checked my Herrschner's order page tonight and it says my yarn is BACKORDERED! I'm in shock. :shock: The site didn't say anything like that when I bought it. And they haven't sent me an email saying that. I'm going to email customer service tomorrow and ask about it. But I am so bummed out. :rollseyes: I really wanted to get it in time to photograph it for the first Amazing Lace challenge (deadline Sunday) and also to enjoy it as a kind of birthday present to myself (also Sunday!). Waaah.

Kristen, it's sweet of you to wait on me, but now I have no idea how long my yarn will take. You might want to start without me and then send me bunches of "catch-up" vibes! :XX: :XX: :XX:

gardenmommy
05-30-2006, 11:50 PM
Well let me know what you hear from Herrschner's. When I had ordered my yarn from Webs (in three different colors...for three different projects, but Cozy will be in Natural), they had e-mailed on 5/22 saying that one color was back ordered and could be up to two weeks before it came in, but it all came today, so it may not be that long!

In fact, I think I'm going to fondle my yarn now... ;) :oops:

boyforpele13
05-31-2006, 02:40 PM
this very same thing happened to a friend who ordered some Reynolds Mandalay from them. She didn't find out either until she checked where it was. They did let her cancel it after we found her stuff at a LYS, for a better price even, so we got lucky. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, Stacey! I still haven't touched mine, still at 2 repeats. feh!

gardenmommy
06-05-2006, 03:04 PM
Any word on your Mandalay, Stacey?

I haven't cast on...yet...

earthchick
06-05-2006, 03:41 PM
Well, I double-checked with Herrschner's and they said they wouldn't get it in until June 29!!! I combed the internet looking for other sources, but with zero luck.

Then I happened to be looking at an Interweave Knits magazine (the first I've ever bought) and saw an ad in the classifieds for an LYS here in Ann Arbor and among the yarns it listed was Reynolds. So I called on Saturday to see if they carried Mandalay, which they do, but they were out of my color. So the owner is ordering some today and she thinks it will be in by Friday! I'm very excited! :cheering:

In the meantime, I am filling my time by repeatedly screwing up my first Simply Lovely Lace Sock and also knitting a couple of toy dinosaurs for my boys! :thumbsup:

gardenmommy
06-05-2006, 05:22 PM
:happydance: :happydance: :happydance: woo hoo! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Nimmie
06-05-2006, 07:21 PM
I keep looking at Cozy too...it's beautiful! I'm not sure I'm ready for lace yet though.

gardenmommy
06-05-2006, 07:35 PM
Doooooooooo itttttttttttt! :mrgreen:

sara_jayne
06-05-2006, 10:24 PM
I keep looking at Cozy too...it's beautiful! I'm not sure I'm ready for lace yet though.

I agree with gardenmommy DO ITTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!

It really is a simple pattern - it was my first lace project and while it took a while because it is so big, it was a great first lace project!

Nimmie
06-06-2006, 04:43 PM
I'm looking for afordable yarn substitutions..I'm way strapped for fundage at the moment. Anybody have any ideas?

Shandeh
06-11-2006, 12:06 AM
I'm looking for afordable yarn substitutions..I'm way strapped for fundage at the moment. Anybody have any ideas?

Well, I would think that any soft yarn that is light worsted weight or DK would work. The gauge is 4.5 stitches per inch in stockinette.

I'm thinking about using alpaca, microfiber, or merino wool.

Nimmie
06-11-2006, 08:34 AM
I wonder if Caron simply soft would work..it's light worsted and cheap! And happen to have some...

My budget is like a vice at the moment! I'm trying to feed two of us on about $30 a week so it's hard to justify buying yarn outta that. Though, a skein or two sneaks in occaisionally...ahem *coughs*

Or maybe I'll save this project for when I can buy good yarn. *Sighs*

It's so pretty. I would love to have one for fall.

Shandeh
06-11-2006, 02:51 PM
I'll bet that Simply Soft would work just fine!

earthchick
06-17-2006, 07:28 AM
Just bumping us up.

Still stalking my LYS. Stopped by yesterday and the yarn still hasn't arrived. I ordered it 2 weeks ago, and they originally told me it should be in on the 9th. :( I compared the color I ordered to the ones they had in stock, to see if I could persuade myself to get one they already had. But I just love the color I chose, and my friend who was with me agreed. So I'm still waiting. :rollseyes:

What's everyone else up to?

Shandeh
06-17-2006, 09:42 AM
I've started mine with some alpaca I got on eBay. I'm wondering how it will look, since it's dark brown!

earthchick
06-20-2006, 03:28 PM
LYS called today and my yarn is in! I'm going to pick it up in about an hour and hope to cast on tonight. :happydance:

sara_jayne
06-20-2006, 03:53 PM
:cheering: :cheering: I'm so happy you get to start Stacey!

Sandy - how is Cozy coming in the brown? Do you like it?

Shandeh
06-20-2006, 07:03 PM
I love the way the alpaca feels, so that part is wonderful! The only thing I don't like is the way the alpaca has some stray hairs interfering with the lace pattern.

I might decide to change to a different yarn. Time will tell.

sara_jayne
06-20-2006, 08:30 PM
I too love Alpaca (or apalaca or alapaca as I prefer to pronounce it ;) )!

Do you think you'll have to block the alpaca hard? If so it might show more of the lace pattern that way. I used a yarn that had a lot of cotton in it and it didn't show the lace at all until I blocked it - just a thought!

This almost makes me want to knit another cozy!

gardenmommy
06-20-2006, 09:30 PM
:cheering: Woo hoo! I haven't cast on yet, but I've been admiring my Pima Silk. ;)

Maybe this weekend I can get started after I get caught up from being out of town!

Shandeh
06-21-2006, 01:07 AM
Do you think you'll have to block the alpaca hard? If so it might show more of the lace pattern that way. I used a yarn that had a lot of cotton in it and it didn't show the lace at all until I blocked it - just a thought!

Thanks for the advice. This is my very first "real" lace project, so I'm learning as I go. The only other lace I've done was the Feather and Fan baby afghan I made.

I've never blocked anything in my life. Yikes! I'll be learning that too. This whole "Cozy" business is going to be good for me. ;)

earthchick
06-25-2006, 06:25 PM
Well, here's a pic of my progress. I'm really enjoying the project so far, except for my problem with the edges. I've ended up making the edges look different from each other b/c I'm slipping the first st of each row purlwise but not doing anything different at the end of each row (like knitting the last st of each row). So one edge looks sort of stockinette-ish and the other looks sort of garter-ish. Argh.

I think I'm going to have to frog. :crying:

sara jayne, do it, do it, start another Cozy!

gardenmommy
06-26-2006, 08:52 PM
Wow, Stacey, that is looking great! How are you liking working with the Mandalay?

I still haven't CO yet...just too busy this weekend, maybe I can this weekend. I just signed the kids up for swimming lessons too, but those don't start until July 17, but I should get at least half an hour poolside for that!

earthchick
07-01-2006, 03:41 PM
Sorry to be slow in responding, somehow I quit getting email alerts for this thread.

I am really liking the Mandalay but have had some setbacks here and there. Discouraging enough that I haven't picked it back up since Tuesday. (You can read the gory details here (http://earthchicknits.blogspot.com/2006/06/opposite-of-zen.html).)

What's everyone else up to?

earthchick
07-09-2006, 08:32 AM
Hey where is everyone? How are things with Cozy? I frogged AGAIN.

Haven't yet picked it back up, but will as soon as I finish the NEBB I'm working on (which I hope is in the next couple of days).

Stacey

Shandeh
07-10-2006, 07:08 AM
I'm working on my Cozy again with the alpaca yarn. That yarn feels wonderful. I'll just keep plugging along.

gardenmommy
07-10-2006, 09:05 AM
My kids start swimming lessons next Monday. Even though they're only half an hour long, it sounds like prime knitting time to me! The pool is indoors, so no cancellation because of rain, and I can stay out of the sun...so Cozy, here I come!

Shandeh
07-16-2006, 02:51 AM
I'm continuing to work on my Cozy when I can. I added some stitches to my cast-on, because I'm a big girl. It's slow-going, but I think it will be nice.

I don't have a dog or a kitty because of allergies, so here are my substitutes: My stuffed lion and doggy! I use them as arm rests on my knitting rocker, because the wood hurts my elbows otherwise....so I guess they are helping in the project! :D

I'm using small needles so it's easy to carry around. (I didn't want to deal with a long cable on circular needles, and I also didn't want to use those long 14 inch needles, so here is my compromise. Vintage short needles.)

Question: Are you guys doing the slipped stitches knit-wise or purl-wise? I'm doing mine knit-wise.

gardenmommy
07-16-2006, 12:46 PM
That looks great, Sandy!

Cute companions too! ;)

earthchick
07-16-2006, 04:31 PM
Great job, Sandy! I'm doing my slipped stitches knit-wise.

After four froggings, I think I'm finally in the swing of things (with the help of stitch markers and a lifeline). I have about 10 inches done I think. I am totally loving the yarn, the pattern, and my new Options needles (which just came yesterday and are making the k2tbl so much easier).

gardenmommy
07-17-2006, 08:57 AM
OK, so the pattern calls to CO 85, and in the feather pattern start with a K1...have you guys been slipping that first stitch on every row, or did you CO 87 and slip the first stitch and then do THAT K1?

earthchick
07-17-2006, 09:17 AM
Kristen, I am not slipping the first stitch, after multiple attempts that all ended badly:
the first time, I CO 85 and tried slipping the first st, but when row 7 started with k2tog, I got a little thrown off (so I slipped the first one and then k2tog the second one, which was a k1). I was slipping purlwise but then not doing anything different with the final stitch of each row (so on a K row, I was knitting it and on a P row, I was purling it). It was a mess.

the second and thrid times, I CO 87, slipped the first st kwise and knit the last st of every row. But it kept coming out wonky. I still don't know why, but having those two extra sts really messed things up for me, and the selvage was not looking particularly good.

So finally I CO 85 and just did the pattern exactly as written. I have never knit anything without slipping the first stitch b/c I don't trust myself to have neat edges. But it turns out that things are totally fine and I am really liking the way the edges of this shawl look. (you can check out my blog if you want to see my latest pic, which was Friday - I've got a few more inches done since then and will probably take another pic tonight).

I think theoretically you could make the pattern work with a selvage by CO 87 and slipping the first st, knitting the last st, but I just was not able to do it. :rollseyes:

edited to add the word "not" in the first sentence.

gardenmommy
07-17-2006, 09:33 AM
Good to know, thanks much Stacey! :thumbsup:

earthchick
07-17-2006, 10:17 AM
I just looked back at my post and realized I left the word "not" out of the first sentence (just fixed it). I think it was clear from the rest of the post that I am not slipping the first stitch, but the first sentence certainly confused matters.

earthchick
07-18-2006, 07:47 AM
Here's my little pic update. I'm about 12 inches in, and loving it.

Angelia
07-18-2006, 07:54 AM
Beautiful work, Shandeh and Stacey!! :inlove: :inlove:

gardenmommy
07-18-2006, 08:28 AM
Oh wow Stacey, that is gorgeous! I hope I like it in the Pima Silk! (kicking self repeatedly for not buying the Mandalay when I had it in my hot little hands at Personal Threads when I met up with Brendajos in Omaha).

Shandeh
07-18-2006, 08:51 AM
Go Stacey Go! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

gardenmommy
07-19-2006, 02:04 PM
I can't believe I did this....well yes I can. While the kids were swimming yesterday, I CO my 85 stiches, and went right on into the pattern, forgetting in my excitement all about those first K 3 rows! :doh: LOL I figured it out by the time I got to the end of the row though! So had to do that all over again today and got my first K 3 rows and am now into the first row of the pattern, but I had to put it down when we got called in for my baby's 9- month check up, so hopefully I can figure out where I am, I really should have brought my stitch markers!

Shandeh
07-19-2006, 02:26 PM
Bless your heart! I hate when that happens! :(

gardenmommy
07-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Well I'm only on the fifth row of the pattern, but it's fun! Did you guys put your lifeline in every eighth row? I was thinking of trying to use a cable from my Boye interchangeables as my lifeline and just putting the stoppers on each end, whaddaya think?

earthchick
07-24-2006, 08:26 PM
I am doing the lifeline every 8th row and it has been really helpful. It's funny, ever since I started using the lifeline I haven't had to rip back. But knowing it's there is very reassuring.

I've never tried using the interchangeable cable as at lifeline but it sounds like it would work!

I'm about 20 inches in so far and am totally loving it. I am really going to love wearing this thing!

earthchick
08-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Just bumping us back up.

I'm on vacation now, and am alternately working Cozy and my Simply Lovely Lace Socks. Got obsessed with finishing the first sock over the weekend so I didn't work Cozy as much. Now that I've finished that sock I'm trying to focus on Cozy a bit more before casting on for sock #2. I'm about 40 inches in on Cozy and am soooo happy with it. It has already come in quite handy for keeping me warm at my BIL's, where I invariably ended up sitting right in front of the a/c vent to knit!

How are the rest of you coming?

rebecca
08-09-2006, 06:44 PM
I'm happy to hear that your Cozy is coming along so nicely!

Shandeh
08-13-2006, 03:35 AM
My Cozy is still in the bag.....waiting for me. Poor Cozy. :pout:

gardenmommy
08-13-2006, 10:37 AM
My Cozy is on hold too, I think I'm in the third repeat, but it still is going quickly, I upped it to size 9 needles. I've been working on some chemo caps instead for my grandma's neighbor.

I sure hope I remember where I am in the pattern when I pick it up again. :shock:

earthchick
08-13-2006, 03:38 PM
I'm getting close to finishing.

BUT....

would you believe I have found a major error several feet back? :doh: It's about 13 inches in. I apparently thought I had finished a repeat after row 6 and then started the next repeat. So there's this weird stripe thing at that one place, don't quite know how to describe it. But it's going to have to stay there. I am NOT ripping back 4 feet of work, especially so close to the end. It has been a fun knit, but not so fun that I want to do it all over again!

I'm irked at myself, but am hoping it will blend in well enough that it won't be too noticeable. I didn't notice it until I laid the whole thing out and saw it staring back at me. :shock:

rohanknitter
08-16-2006, 10:59 PM
I've been working on Cozy since May.....thought I could finish it to use as a wrap for a wedding in June. Ha! I'm still only about 1/2 done. I'm using Elsebeth Lavold's Silky Wool and I love it. This is my first attempt at lace and I really like it. Hopefully I can finish up by the time cool weather arrives. I've been somewhat distracted by various sewing projects and my dishcloth knitting.

earthchick
08-19-2006, 01:17 PM
Just a little note to say I'm finished. Wheeeeeee! :happydance: I :heart: it and hope to be posting pics soon.

earthchick
08-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Just a little pic. I'm trying to imitate the model in Cozy. You can see more pics on my blog.

I look forward to seeing everyone else's!

sara_jayne
08-20-2006, 06:50 PM
:cheering: :cheering: It is beautiful Stacey!!!!!

I love the pose - it does look like the pattern picture! :rofl:

Yarngineer
01-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Hang in there everybody! I finished my cozy this summer. It took me a year. I had to keep putting it down and picking it back up. It helped me to use a lifeline after awhile in case I made a mistake when I was too tired. :)

Shandeh
01-02-2007, 03:42 PM
Where is the photo? I can't find it anywhere! :teehee: