PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate milk and the knitting bag don't play well together

JLC
05-27-2006, 06:49 AM
I was home all day yesterday with my 4yo ds because he has strep throat. He had a container of chocolate milk on the stand in the living room and he flung out his arms and accidently knocked the chocolate milk into my knitting bag. :crying:

I had the front of my tank top using Cascade Pima Silk that I was hoping to finish this weekend, and a sleeve for the sweater I'm making using knitpicks Vacation, and what may have been the start of a tubey using some silk haze yarn I got from numei.com

I washed everything as best as I could and it's drying on the table, but I still just want to cry. I think the crystal palace bamboo needle in the black yarn is ruined. The finish isn't smooth and shiny anymore. I was really careful when I was washing them, to not get the needle tips wet, but I think the bamboo one got chocolate milk on it. :(

Celine
05-27-2006, 07:38 AM
I'm so sorry :blush: that spill happend on your knitting bag. Your projects look good thu. Good luck with them. :XX:

margie
05-27-2006, 08:03 AM
:(

gardenmommy
05-27-2006, 08:14 AM
Oh no!

I'd try rubbing that Crystal Palace needle with wax paper to see if that might bring back the finish.

IrishBaby
05-27-2006, 08:30 AM
I'm so sorry for your accident -- that had to be very very frustrating!

mulene
05-27-2006, 08:34 AM
Argh that would drive me crazy =( So sorry to hear about it :(

Old Knitter
05-27-2006, 08:46 AM
So sorry....I can only imagine how upset you were. This is higher on the disappointment scale than just dropping a stsitch.

Holly :(

Shandeh
05-27-2006, 08:35 PM
You are LIVING every knitter's greatest fear! Bless your heart!

You deserve an expensive trip to the nicest yarn store you can find.
(Don't you just love having an excuse now?)
:thumbsup:

rebecca
05-27-2006, 08:53 PM
OUCH!!!! I'm so sorry...I sure hope everything can be saved ;)

Amber
05-27-2006, 09:47 PM
Oh no, I'm so sorry! Not to jinx myself, but I'm sure an accident like that is somewhere in my future -- two rambunctious boys and knitting are a dangerous combination! ;)

I hope all of your WIPs and your needles can be salvaged!

Mama Bear
05-27-2006, 11:55 PM
Oh no! I can see that happening here.

On the needle, let it dry ALL the way first. Some of the wood fibers might swell when wet.

Once it's GOOD and dry, through and through, get the super duper fine sandpaper and smooth it good, then rub it with some wax paper. It MIGHT save it.

you might knit a small swatch of each of the yarns and try different enzyme based cleaners to see if they tolerate them. You could even put some chocolate milk on a swatch and see what works. That way you are experimenting with a swatch, not your knitting and will know before completing the project if there is hope for getting out the chocolate stains, if there are any.

Give us an update when you can.

Mama Bear

Robin R
05-28-2006, 12:33 AM
Oh no - how frustrating that must have been. I am so sorry it happened. :(

The color of your tank is *awesome*. Beautiful! I love autumn colors.

JLC
05-28-2006, 07:11 PM
Well...the tank top is finally dry and I tried to knit some more on it, but all I can smell is spoiled milk. Guess I didn't get it all off. I'm going to wash it again tonight and set it out to dry because the smell is horrible. The sleeve and the tubey seem ok. I think the Crystal Palace needle may be ok. It doesn't seem quite as smooth and shiny as it was but definitely usable. I had to toss the canvas bag that I had the knitting in because I couldn't get the chocolate stain out, but it was just a cheapie so I'm not too broken up about that. I sat down in the chair today and put my knitting bag (new canvas cheapie) down beside the chair and I was too freaked about my soda spilling that I had to move it!

Old Knitter
05-28-2006, 08:17 PM
This is a nightmare that could happen to any of us.........continue to breathe...............you seem like a very patient person.

Holly

Cristy
05-29-2006, 07:23 AM
oh no! I'm so sorry...I hope it all turns out okay.

You know, I've never knitted w/ white yarn b/c I'm terrified that something will get on it and now that you told us that story--I can totally see something like that happening to me!

kemp
05-29-2006, 09:55 AM
So sorry! I hope you can get the smell out of the tank...it is really beautiful!

ecb
05-29-2006, 08:50 PM
I think that wouyld be harder to get out of Yarn and wood than the Glass of Bailies I spilled about a week and a half ago

*it was a REALLY bad day up to and AFTER that happened*

JLC
05-30-2006, 08:43 AM
I can't get the smell out!! Help! It's been washed and dried twice and it still smells. There are no stains, but it stinks. All I had was my regular laundry detergent, so I'm going to Walmart on my lunch break today to see if I can find something that might take the smell out. If all else fails, I guess I could wear one of those car air fresheners around my neck when I wear the tank top. :rofling:

nicolethegeek
05-30-2006, 09:01 AM
I use the Great Value Oxy stain spray... it's basically the same thing as Oxy-clean, but in the Wal-Mart generic brand. I've even gotten bug guts out of clothes with that stuff!

Pink Dandelion
05-30-2006, 09:38 AM
Oh no! That's awful - talk about a bad day!

I'm glad the needle wasn't totally ruined, but :( on the smell... Hope you get it out! - keep us updated.

WynnieG
05-30-2006, 09:39 AM
I've had some success getting soured buttermilk smell/damp funky camper boy smell out of clothes with Woolite. Look for the version they make for washing machines now. It's not too expensive, and a little goes a long way. Plus, it should be easy going on your yarns.

gardenmommy
05-30-2006, 09:52 AM
I'm thinking it's going to take some enzymatic type stain remover/cleaner (and I think OxiClean is one of those) to break down the milk proteins to get the smell out.

I once spilled a cappuccino on the passenger side floor of my car...talk about a stiiiiiiiiinkyyyyyyyy smell for a long time, especially in the hot summer, icky! I don't even recall what I did for it, I think just a lot of soaking and blotting, I didn't have a steam vac at the time.

Here is a google search I did of "removing sour milk smell," maybe that will give you some ideas. Do you have enough extra yarn to make a swatch you can test cleaners on to make sure they don't harm your yarn?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=removing+sour+milk+smell

JLC
05-30-2006, 11:37 AM
I was thinking Woolite, and I thought I had some left, but I didn't, so that was plan A for the Walmart trip. I'm hoping to finish the tank top tonight, then I should have some of the yarn left over to swatch to test the enzyme cleaners. I'm going to buy a couple different ones today and see what works.