PDA

View Full Version : Can I use this instead?

sunnybunz056
05-29-2006, 11:31 PM
HI,
I was wondering, would anyone know if I could use a chenille yarn instead of a wrosted weight? Because, I have this pattern that calls for worsted weight yarn, but I saw this Caron Glimmer yarn at the store and I want to use it instead. If this is possible, let me know thank you.

Jan in CA
05-29-2006, 11:33 PM
Check the gauge of both yarns. You can sometimes get away with using something similar, but if it's a lot different then it will affect the gauge and outcome. I'm no expert though.. :thinking:

sunnybunz056
05-29-2006, 11:42 PM
as far as the gauges go...the typical worsted weight is 4.5 stitches & 6 rows / 1 inch on a US 8 and the Glimmer is 3 stitiches & 5 rows / 1 inch on a US 10

I'm not enitrely sure that that is close enough for a substitution...if anyone knows a way that i can make th gauges closer, let me know

Ingrid
05-30-2006, 07:47 AM
I depends on what you want to make. If you're making something like a blanket, you can just use fewer stitches. For a garment, you could try to make a smaller size. I suspect that if you use small enough needles with the glimmer to get the same gauge, you'll have a fabric that can stand up by itself.