PDA

View Full Version : Knitting books for a beginner?

want2knit
06-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Hello all,

I'm very intrigued to begin this new creative passion! I would like to get a couple of books to learn how to knit, and I've narrowed down to 4--what would you pick for a newbie? (or is there one that's better than all these?)

My choices - 1. Teach Yourself Visually Knitting
2. The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns
3. Knitting Rules
4. Knitting for Dummies

Thanks for any advice!

JLC
06-02-2006, 02:05 PM
I learned by watching Amy's videos and the book "Stitch N Bitch". I do have the Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns and I really like it, but I wouldn't consider it a book to learn to knit with - to learn to create and customize patterns, sure. I haven't seen the others, so I can't comment on those. Hope this helps! Good luck.

rebecca
06-02-2006, 02:15 PM
I learned to knit with "Knitting Dummies" It remains a great resource ;)

TwoLeftNeedles
06-02-2006, 02:48 PM
I have 2 and 3. While I like them both, I wouldn't recommend them for learning. Knitting Rules is more essays and humor than instructions.

Shandeh
06-02-2006, 03:02 PM
I learned by watching Amy's videos

I agree with you about Amy's videos. (If you've never seen them, just click "Getting Started, Basic Techniques, and Advanced Techniques" at the top of this page.)

I think I learned more from watching Amy's videos than I did from anything else I've used. And I have a LOT of resources at home. (About 12 knitting books, 30 knitting magazines, 4 knitting videos, etc.)

kayeknit
06-02-2006, 03:15 PM
I think the Knitter's Bible is a great beginning/intermediate reference book to have. :D

kschmitz
06-02-2006, 04:15 PM
I also used Knitting for Dummies to learn. Stoller's Stitch 'N' Bitch books are also handy. And definitely check out the videos here!:D

knitasha
06-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Sorry to disagree with the others, but I'd have to say "None of the above" to your list.

Amy's videos are a treasure, but I think they are a great supplemental resource for knitters, not a complete and primary learning experience.

If I were teaching myself to knit today, I'd go for Sally Melville's "The Knit Stitch," the first in a 3-book series called "The Knitting Experience." (The other two are "The Purl Stitch" and "Color.") Here's a link (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1893762130/qid=1149287998/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-8819448-0131303?s=books&v=glance&n=283155).

Melville leads you by the hand through everything you need to get started. As you go, she provides practice projects that you would actually want to wear -- none of them look like "beginner" styles. And all the while, you only have to learn one stitch: the basic knit stitch. The illustrations are clear and beautifully detailed. By the time you get through the book, you can turn out sweaters, shawls and more with confidence -- you're a knitter! Then it's on to "The Purl Stitch," which expands your repertoire a thousand percent. There are other books I'd suggest to beginners, including "Knitting in Plain English" by Maggie Righetti. A lot of people also like "Stitch & Bitch," though I think it tries too hard to be cool. But only Melville provides the combination of step-by-step learning with great-looking projects.

_____
♣The Mod Squad was here :thumbsup:

Cristy
06-03-2006, 07:43 PM
For learning different stitches if you have the basics of knitting down, I like the Big Book of Knitting.

Julie
06-03-2006, 10:48 PM
Amy's videos totally taught me how to knit. Books and/or diagrams did absolutely nothing but frustrate me...than, AHHHH....the VIDEOS.....every single time I need to pick up a new skill I go back to the videos. :thumbsup:

That said, if you have kids or kids to knit for, I think Melanie Falick's Knitting for Baby is a tremendous resource. It goes through all the knitting basics, with projects along the way that match the skills you are learning. I'm a continental knitter so (especially as a beginner) I really appreciated that the instructions and diagrams are continental as well. :D

ToledoKnitwit
06-04-2006, 10:48 AM
The Maran Illustrated Book of Knitting and Crocheting helped me the most. I've only been knitting a year. Literally.

My aunt taught me to crochet when I was little - age 6 or 7. Last year I decided I wanted to knit, and picked up needles and that book when a friend suggested it would be most helpful.

Knitting Rules is a great book, though! It won't help you learn to knit, but it will teach you a great deal about knitting. I just purchased it, and Stephanie's humor is wonderful!

ecb
06-04-2006, 10:45 PM
[quote="ToledoKnitwit"]The Maran Illustrated Book of Knitting and Crocheting helped me the most. I've only been knitting a year. Literally.[quote]

I 100% agree
once I learned how to knit a scarf, then I learned to knit a ball
then I took the book and used it to learn how to make a Doll
head was just a Ball, Tubes for neck and arms and legs, Increases helped there too, and double increases repeted made nice Sholders, Short Rows for the Elbows and knees (not to mention Turning the heel)
it was SO cool
I will never make another as good again
but she is a treasure
my "Explorations in Knitting Concepts"

ecb

Chel
06-04-2006, 11:32 PM
I learned to Knit using Amy's videos.
The first book I purchased was Knitting for Dummies. I must admit I didn't find the book terribly useful. I was a bit disheartened until I found the Knitters Bible which was EXCELLENT. Being a visual learner, color photos and video were much more helpful to me than drawings.

Its not on your list, but I would recomment The Knitters Bible in a heartbeat.

want2knit
06-05-2006, 12:39 AM
Thanks, everyone--I've decided to go with Maran Illustrated Knitting and Crocheting and SNB, two that weren't even on my list, but after reading the reviews at Amazon and posting here, I'm sure they'll be great. I've also looked at the videos on this site--it seems like it's so easy, guess we'll see when I get my first needles and yarn! ;)

want2knit
06-05-2006, 12:41 AM
ecb--forgot to tell you that doll is really cool, one of your first projects?, I won't believe it if I can do that!