PDA

View Full Version : OT: Cervical Cancer Awareness

knitaddict
06-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Click here (https://www.maketheconnection.org/order_beadkit/default.asp) to order a free (yes, 100% free) bead bracelet kit. For every kit ordered, Merck will donate one dollar to Cancer Research and Prevention Foundation. :heart:

CarmenIbanez
06-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Can I get on my soapbox here? It has been proven in recent studies that a majority of cervical cancer is caused by HPV, the Human Papilloma Virus. A virus that is spread through sexual intercouse. A virus for which there is currently a vaccination. A vaccination that has been shown in testing to be 100% effective. Unfortunately, there are people at work in our society who want to deny this vaccination to young women on the basis that it will encourage promiscuity among teenagers. I don't think that anyone should have to pay the price of death for having bad judgement in their teen years. (How many of us barely made it out of our teens alive as it is?)

So please order this kit. Make a little bracelet, and while you are at it, send your congressperson or senator an email encourage them to support the speedy approval of the HPV vaccine.

Here (www.webmd.com/content/article/114/111307.htm) is some info.
/soapbox

brendajos
06-02-2006, 05:28 PM
lol i love it when people get on soap boxes like that, and i wouldn't even have to agree with it cuz i really just like a good debate.

as it is, i agree and the thing that got me the most when i heard of the protest was that doctors were saying that it can be given to children as young as 9 years old. If you have to worry that your 9 year old is going to become promiscuous after having a shot then the issues that are going on there are far deeper than you are willing to admit.

i kind of wish these companies would just give the money they spend on these things to the charity but i appreciate the awareness thing so i will play along! :thumbsup:

knitaddict
06-02-2006, 06:25 PM
I'm glad you got on your soapbox because I knew nothing about that vaccine. I'm off to read the info you provided. :)

aylaanne
06-02-2006, 06:51 PM
It's estimated that 80% of women become infected with HPV by the time they're 60. Perhaps 10% of them know about it.

Thank you so much for this information.

Jan in CA
06-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Done! Thanks!

XbelovedXoneX
06-02-2006, 06:57 PM
I'm ordering one. I personally suffer from HPV and have to get checked every 6 months to make sure no abnormal cells are present. I wasn't aware that the vaccine was available already. I can only hope that it will be awailable to my step-daughter, or when I have my own daughter.

mulene
06-02-2006, 07:36 PM
I'm glad you got on your soapbox because I knew nothing about that vaccine. I'm off to read the info you provided. :)

Same.

I am quite emotional about cancer and cancer researching. My lucy bag is being donated to raise money for cancer research. Without research these vaccines and other drugs that control cancers would not be possible.

That vaccine sounds very interesting. I'll click the link but I doubt they would send the kit to the UK unfortunately =( I'll support cancer charities wherever they are - the work they do is very important.

That and kidney research are my two special charities.

dustinac
06-02-2006, 07:39 PM
I agree you guys said it better than I can.. but when I heard about the 9yr old getting the shot I thought if they were going to wouldn't they with/without the shot :?? just gets me if it can be stopped why we are not stopping it... ;)

brendajos
06-02-2006, 08:20 PM
because it doesn't effect the willie warmer region.

i mean seriously....little blue pills were covered by my insurance before birth control was! :rollseyes:

mulene
06-02-2006, 08:51 PM
because it doesn't effect the willie warmer region.

i mean seriously....little blue pills were covered by my insurance before birth control was! :rollseyes:

:rollseyes: just hope they find the same thing causes testicular cancer and BAM the vaccines will be available in every school in every country from the age of 9 with boosters again at 16 lol

aylaanne
06-02-2006, 10:11 PM
The vaccine isn't out yet, it's still awaiting approval from the FDA. Just because it's effective in preventing HPV infection doesn't mean it's safe, and the FDAs job is to determine the safety of drugs before they go on the market. Just because they fall under pressure to approve high-profile drugs early doesn't mean they should. Vioxx caused several deaths before it got pulled from the market. Had it gone through further testing before being released, perhaps those lives could have been saved.

So lets hope that the vaccine is safe and approved soon.

Squishy
06-03-2006, 12:57 AM
Hurray for awareness! I found out I had HPV a couple years ago. I had never heard of it before, had no idea what it was. I was shocked, thinking there must be some mistake because there was no way I had an std! Wrong. I got an aggressive strain (there are multiple types) that causes cell dysplasia, and have had to have some removed, etc and have to always keep up with checking it. Apparently my risk for cancer is much higher now. PLEASE tell you daughters about this! I've heard that up to 75% of women get it in their lifetime, but most types are fairly harmless. One of the bad parts is...there's no symptoms. You will not know you have it unless a pap comes back weird. Even if you are as safe as possible with your sexual choices, you may still get it. (accepting total abstinance of course). I'm so thrilled that there may be an effective vaccine coming out! I wish it had been available sooner.

Phretys
06-03-2006, 01:42 AM
I *hate* the misguided rationale that this vaccine will encourage our young daughters to be more promiscuous. The best quote I've heard in response: "Makes sense to me -- with tetanus shots so readily available, I now spend nearly all my free time pounding rusty nails into myself."

Cristy
06-03-2006, 07:35 AM
I love you ladies and your opinions so much...I suffered from HPV and had to go through many many rechecks b/c of an aggressive strain.....It's been 10 years now that I've had no problems but I, too, had no idea how many people have HPV--most women do have it. It's scary!

XbelovedXoneX
06-03-2006, 09:01 AM
I too have an aggressive straing. Luckily, I've only had to have the surgery to remove cells once so far. I try and spread the word about this as much as I can. So many women seem embarassed to talk about it. I've unfortunately encountered people who've spread rumors about me acting like what I have is a "dirty STD" just because it's spread through sexual intercourse. It makes me sooo angry!!

I posted about this bracelet in another craft forum. There someone said they signed up for this months ago, but never received the bracelet. I really hope this money is still donated. :(

brendajos
06-03-2006, 09:24 AM
I *hate* the misguided rationale that this vaccine will encourage our young daughters to be more promiscuous. The best quote I've heard in response: "Makes sense to me -- with tetanus shots so readily available, I now spend nearly all my free time pounding rusty nails into myself."

:rofling: :roflhard: :rofling: okay i just woke up and this is the first thing i have read this morning....whatta great way to start my day! :rofling: :roflhard: :rofling:

margie
06-03-2006, 09:25 AM
I have HPV, too. I had an abnormal pap years ago, and had laser surgery to remove the abnormal cells. Then, repeated paps every 3 mos for 1 year, 6 mos for another year, then back to once a year. You can't be too careful.

Carol_OH
06-03-2006, 10:41 AM
I'm ordering one. I personally suffer from HPV and have to get checked every 6 months to make sure no abnormal cells are present. I wasn't aware that the vaccine was available already. I can only hope that it will be awailable to my step-daughter, or when I have my own daughter.

I am/was too - though it's been 10 years since my conization and I'm free and clear! I took a lot of herbs and vitamins too. The body CAN beat certain viruses and bugs. Scary, isn't it though? *hugs*

I'm kicking myself that I didn't buy stock in Medtronics, though back in the day - bah!

AnreeAce
06-03-2006, 10:52 AM
"Makes sense to me -- with tetanus shots so readily available, I now spend nearly all my free time pounding rusty nails into myself."

:roflhard: :roflhard:

Yeah, and alergy shots, and general anesthesia and all that. I just go out and roll in scotch-broom all the time now that I'm getting shots for it. We really need a cynical-snicker-with-eyeroll emoticon.

Seriously though, how do you agrue with people who think that knowledge is so very dangerous?

DianaM
06-03-2006, 12:13 PM
It is also one of the cancer types that women with PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) are at risk of developing, though not one of the main ones.

I developed PCOS at puberty, and wasn't diagnosed until age 22, after I blacked out while driving when my blood sugar hit an absolute low.

Kit ordered.

Ellen Edwards
06-03-2006, 08:49 PM
I just talked to a friend today in the grocery line whose sister (who hated doctors and never went) died of cervical cancer 2 weeks ago after finally having such a terrrible lower back pain that she was taken to the ER, put in the hospital, and passed away within 10 weeks of finding out. Her doctor said it was quite possible she had only had it for about 3 months ,though, because it was such a fast moving strain. Maybe all cervical cancers strains AREN'T like that one!!

I'm so sorry for all of you who are dealing with this!!

Nikki
06-05-2006, 08:27 AM
The more I read this thread the more upset I became. I wanted to poke the powers that be with a knitting needle. Let's get this vacinne and information out there.
Nikki

XbelovedXoneX
06-08-2006, 10:18 PM
I just wanted to bump this up because the FDA approve the vaccine for 4 strains of HPV that cause cervical cancer. yay!

http://health.msn.com/healthnews/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100137196

Friskums
06-09-2006, 11:21 AM
I'm so glad you bumped this!

My first pap came back abnormal. So, I went in and they cut chunks out to test. I have stage one something or other (I can't remember right now).
When I first found out I had abnormal cells, I was looking online and found out about HPV. Then I got scared. At that point, I was negative for HPV. But, I'm still worried about it.

It's amazing how many women have it, and don't even know about it. What's frustrating is that there's not a test for men.

But with this vaccine...that's just awesome! Not that it's something that we don't have to worry about anymore. But what a relief to know there's cure.

As soon as I can afford to, I'm going to go back in and get checked out again. I know it's very important, but with my move, and now moving again I haven't had the time or money yet.

I have a big list of things I'm going to do once we get this condo thing squared away and this is at the top.

CarmenIbanez
06-09-2006, 12:25 PM
I just wanted to bump this up because the FDA approve the vaccine for 4 strains of HPV that cause cervical cancer. yay!

http://health.msn.com/healthnews/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100137196

I could just cry today, this news made me so happy when I heard it on the radio. I'd like to add that the 4 strains of HPV cause almost 70% of all cervical cancer. This is a very big day today and should be celebrated as a holiday!

AnreeAce
06-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Now, if we can just move some people away from the idea that vaccinating young women against something that causes so much suffering and illness is a bad thing...

I do agree with you Carmen, this is a red-letter day.

XbelovedXoneX
06-09-2006, 01:24 PM
I'm incredibly happy too! I want to run around shouting the news at people. :rofling: My stepdaughter is turning 13 next month and I'm really hoping this will be made available to her. I have HPV and have had to have precancerous cells removed. I just can't imagine any girl/woman going through that when there's the chance that she might not have to!

Friskums
06-09-2006, 03:36 PM
I saw it on the news on the tv at work.

Then they said they'd be discussing the "moral arguements" ater. :rollseyes:

I didn't even KNOW about HPV until I looked it up and thought I had it.

I like what the tetnus quote said. :lol: Although, I would like to point out that rust has nothing to do with it (according to my HS biology teacher. It was so funny mentioning it to him. We'd get out of class for a whole day listening to him rave about it. :rofling: )

CarmenIbanez
06-09-2006, 03:42 PM
I guess I'd like to hear the "moral arguments" in favor of cancer!

Friskums
06-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Good point!

So, does anyone know if this is just for women, or can guys get vaccinated too? Obviously, they don't have to worry about cervical cancer, but for the HPV. (We're pretty sure he has one of the strains.)

CarmenIbanez
06-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Removed to my blog thread..... Don't want to get too "political" on a thread that should be neutral and informative.

Phretys
06-10-2006, 03:56 AM
From what I've read, the vaccine has only been tested on women, not men. But I hope that testing would show that it is effective for men as well.

For the anti-vaccine crowd, I'd really like to know how on earth can you guarantee that your theoretically virginal daughters won't eventually marry men infected with HPV? Obviously in this situation, monogamy and faithfulness will not prevent infection (80% of all women by age 50).

BinkyKat
06-10-2006, 11:21 PM
OK, correct me if I'm wrong... but when I heard the announcement the FDA made to release the vaccine, the report said it would be for women 9 to 26. What about women 27 and over! I'm 37 and I actually had a call back a couple weeks ago that my Pap was abnormal and they want to test me for HPV and possibly do a colposcopy!
The most common thing I've "read" online about HPV (webmd, and just googling it) a couple weeks ago was that it's a sign of genital warts. WTF? DH and I are totally monogamous since we've been together 14 yrs! But all I "hear" on TV is how it can lead to cervical cancer...Which is it?!

And I've wanted to voice this for weeks, and don't know how to to anyone I know here where I live... but I didn't appreciate the tone the Nurse Prac had when she called to tell me I may have HPV and that it's transmitted from sexual contact and that I should discuss this with my "partner".
:evil:

XbelovedXoneX
06-11-2006, 01:11 AM
I'm in no way an expert, but this is the infortmation I've learned in my research. My experience was horrible medical staff-wise too. They told me absolutely nothing, just that I had abnormal pap results and they had to do a colposcopy, biopsies, and then cryosurgery to remove the cells. Thankfully, I've since gotten new doctors and had things explained to me.

There are many strains of HPV... some can lead to genital warts, cervical cancer, and even cold sores. You have HPV for many years without having any symptoms or abnormal paps. This makes it pretty impossible to figure out who/where you got the HPV from.

I'm also curious about the age thing. I'm 23, nearly 24 and wonder if I'm eligible for it. Also, am I even eligible since I've already had abnormal paps in my past?

misstialouise
06-12-2006, 04:46 PM
Do you mean to tell me that in the States you have to PAY for a pap smear??

I had CIN2 changes a few years back, with a mild HPV infection. All CIN has been clear since, I was due to get another smear done when I fell pregnant, but they wouldn't do one due to the fact it could trigger a miscarriage. I will be having another smear done as soon as I can after the birth.

BinkyKat
06-12-2006, 07:40 PM
My insurance covers the "yearly" as I call it. Basically a complete physical to include a Pap...I've never had more than one a year so I'm not sure... worth checking into. I'm pretty sure it would because most tests for diagnostic purposes are covered. Besides, who goes for a Pap just for fun? I told dh about the checkup i have in a couple weeks and how they referred to the colposcopy as similar to a "paper punch" I thought he was gonna pass out.
Welcome to my hell babe!
:rollseyes:

misstialouise
06-12-2006, 07:42 PM
Pap's are covered by the government in Australia. We don't need private health insurance to cover it....

How very odd..

BinkyKat
06-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Boy, you'd love the fact that it was only just in recent years that Medicaid (insurance for those that may not be able to afford insurance) started covering mammograms? Can you believe that who knows how many women went without having a simply test to hopefully detect breast cancer early?
Argh! :doh:

misstialouise
06-12-2006, 07:54 PM
Okay.. maybe Medicare doesn't suck afterall... (available to everyone, funded by the Government, totally free of charge)...

BinkyKat
06-12-2006, 08:12 PM
What we call Medicare here is insurance through the govt. for the elderly. My MIL works for an office that has been going nuts trying to help people get educated on the prescription plans and such. Medicare here is a constant bone of contention and a big topic of candidates running for all areas of govt. I am not totally up on my news, but basically it's confusing and hard for many to understand what is covered and what is not, and many folks end up going without much needed meds because one thing or the other changes or isn't covered.
Methinks it's time to move Down Under... or to Canada...socialized medicine.

misstialouise
06-12-2006, 08:13 PM
Methinks it's time to move Down Under... or to Canada...socialized medicine.

COME TO AUSTRALIA!!!!!

:D

BinkyKat
06-12-2006, 08:39 PM
Be right over...
Can you tell me what street Hugh Jackman lives on? Thankyouverrymuch! :inlove:

misstialouise
06-12-2006, 08:41 PM
Be right over...
Can you tell me what street Hugh Jackman lives on? Thankyouverrymuch! :inlove:

LOL

Honey, if I knew THAT, then I'd be camped out!!! :P