PDA

View Full Version : Using the Wayback Machine, do you remember

gardenmommy
06-04-2006, 12:16 PM
the first yarn you ever bought?

Reminisce away!

Jan in CA
06-04-2006, 12:23 PM
I started crocheting long before I knit so I don't remember. I DO remember my first time in an LYS though! Woohoo! :shock: :inlove:

Ingrid
06-04-2006, 12:42 PM
The woman who taught me to knit when I was a kid gave me a small ball of pink to bring home and some white plastic size 10 needles. I remember my first skein being acrylic, of course, in varying shades of green from dark all the way up to white. I thought it was wonderful!

knitaddict
06-04-2006, 12:48 PM
That's so easy!!! It was a skein of cream chenille by Lion Brand. :) I also bought a small skein of Lion Brand's cheapest white yarn to practice with. It was on sale & I think I paid 97 cents for it. Of course, it was only last February when I taught myself to knit so it's easy to remember. ;)

Thorne
06-04-2006, 12:56 PM
1 Skein of bright bright pink and 1 of black of red heart worsted acrylic. I still have them LOL. I never really made anything out of them, just swatches.

feministmama
06-04-2006, 01:00 PM
I took a class at a LYS in Needham, MA and I bought some grey wool and size 6 needles and the first project I made was a kid sweater. That was in 1990. I still have a little ball of it leftover. I keep it as a lucky charm :heart:

Julie
06-04-2006, 01:25 PM
I bought a big ole skein of Red Heart and made myself knit the entire thing before I learned to purl. And the rest is history... :D

dustinac
06-04-2006, 01:38 PM
:cheering: This made me go see when I joined KH and now I can say I've been knitting for a year :happydance:

Yeah we had to take my little girl to the ER and my nerves were shot so I went to the LYS asked for help bought a set of Clover 8s and some mint green wool Natures something :?? .. went by the library and got a dvd... that night my daughter laid with her head on my lap as I tried to figure out how to knit to calm my mother nerves but got so annoyed I about threw them away lol later after Roo was in bed I googled and found KH and got it.. then Brendajos was telling me how great this site was and the forum so I joined and she called me out and the rest is knitting history... :rofling:

brendajos
06-04-2006, 01:55 PM
lol yeah and she knits way better and faster than i do!

This is the first yarn i ever bought...it was some ridiculously expensive yarn that i fell in love with at the LYS where i learned...that yarn was $20+ a hank and i have never bought any that expensive since....sheesh

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/brendajos/Knitted%20Stuff/scarves002.jpg

Squishy
06-04-2006, 02:11 PM
Some cheapie stuff from Michaels, which was white worsted weight with bits of silver in it. I still haven't actually used it. Once I figured out the knitting part, I frogged it all and did something with some fun fluffy yarn for my sister.

Jenelle
06-04-2006, 02:21 PM
My first skein of yarn was Carons Simply Soft in a blue color. That was when I learned how to crochet and I still havnt used all the yarn yet.

My first knitting skein was a creamy white and I tried knitting with it on size 6 needles about a year, year and a half ago. I still have that too.

rebecca
06-04-2006, 02:27 PM
:D I remember it like it was yesterday :D it was 2 years ago this month (I think). Lonnie and I were in Michael's picking up a 'learn to knit kit' and I grabbed a skein of light mint green chenille yarn...I still have it...HATE IT :rofling: :roflhard:

dustinac
06-04-2006, 05:32 PM
[quote="brendajos"]lol yeah and she knits way better and faster than i do!
[quote]

:--- :notworthy: :oops: :fingerwag: she lies.... :rofling:

ebrperk
06-04-2006, 07:35 PM
I learned to crochet from my grandmother when I was about 7 or 8 and now I probably couldn't remember much about crocheting but when I taught myself to knit it was with a pair of size 7 or 8 Boye straights and a skein of pink Red Heart that feels like sandpaper. That was about two and a half years ago. Rebecca I can't believe I have been knitting longer than you. Your stuff looks amazing!!!

gimmesanity
06-04-2006, 08:08 PM
A very good friend taught me to crochet about 8 years ago. I really wanted a long, bright red scarf, so I bought some RedHeart and crotched away.

My second skein was some Homespun. Ick.

carollovesyarn
06-05-2006, 03:15 AM
My parents bought me some ultra-pale yellow ack - I played with that for a while and still use it to hold needles. But my first purchase was light purple and dark purple Rowan Magpie. Lovely yarn to knit with and it made a great Felted Marsupial Tote that I still haven't gotten around to lining and using in the 2+ years since I've finished it. :oops: I think I still have a skein or two around here somewhere...

Denise in Michigan
06-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Sky blue and white Dazzleaire that I bought at Federal's department store in 1975. Soft and fluffy, a little mohair-ish, acrylic. Crocheted up into a scarf that looked like clouds chasing each other across a summer morning sky. Scarf still in use in my winter emergency kit in the trunk of my car.

Thanks for bringing back this memory!

bjc1050
06-05-2006, 02:01 PM
My first skein of yarn was turqoise acrylic , probably Red Heart for a scarf I started in Home Ec class in junior high school. Didn't finish the project because we weren't shown how to fix dropped stitches and I got tired of ripping back to begin again. Hindsight tells me I simply should have asked the teacher to show me, but it seemed that only favorite students got that kind of help.

CarmenIbanez
06-05-2006, 03:39 PM
First purchase was Wendy/Peter Pan "Velvet Touch" yarn in Blueberry that I used to make a blanket for my chihuahua. That was January 2003.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-05-2006, 04:46 PM
mine was homespun. and then nmore homespun. then some homespun-esque red heart :| Once I finally realized it was the yarn that sucked and not me,(20 skeins of various colors later), I got some lamb's pride worsted, and that's when I finally had success. I still have the first "thing" I made... not really a square, not really a triangle...

Shandeh
06-05-2006, 05:20 PM
The first yarn I ever USED was a simple white acrylic yarn in home ec class. The first yarn I ever BOUGHT was a rust-colored acrylic yarn from Woolworth in 1979.

I bought a few more skeins, and used them in my crochet projects. I put everything aside during my first marriage and childbirth years. My marriage failed and I was a single mom for many years.

Now that I'm married to the right one, I've been free to REALLY learn to knit. I started 3 years ago with a BRIGHT RED skein of Red Heart worsted. I made a scarf for my youngest son. Here's a photo:

DianaM
06-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Used?.....It was grey. Heather grey. I couldn't tell you the brand, because it was a Mexican brand and I was nine years old. Although I kept crocheting for a while, it was always with bits and pieces leftover by my Grandmother. Didn't actually have to buy yarn until I moved to the US.

Bought? ....must've been in 2002. Red Heart, one red skein, one black skein. Made a scarf out of it that I still wear.

jodstr2
06-05-2006, 10:54 PM
it was December 2004, a skein of Lion Homespun in the Nouveau colorway. I kept the scarf as a reminder of how much I hated it (oh yeah, and sucked) in the beginning.

melinphx
06-06-2006, 03:22 PM
I started knitting and then crocheting (after having all the stitches fall off my aluminum needles one time too many) after I quit smoking in 1985, and I just used whatever worsted weight acrylic I happened across in our town's K-Mart, but in 1985 or 1986, I came across a crochet pattern in the Women's World magazine that called for J&P Coats LusterSheen. That was my first ever real project that I could really wear (and I wore it out). I still love LusterSheen, it's so silky and lightweight, perfect for summer tops.

I can still remember my first experience in a Ben Franklins (they seem to have all been taken over by Craftmarts here in the Phoenix area). In 1985, it was like walking into paradise! Shelves and shelves of yarn!!! And paint!!! and silk flowers and greenery!!! The memory still fills me with happy feelings.

AnreeAce
06-06-2006, 09:58 PM
:thinking:
I had expressed an interest in learning how to knit, and a friend called me up one Friday last winter to tell me she'd seen an ad in the local alternative paper. The fiber guild at the university was having a "Learn to Knit" get-together, they'd supply all the materials and instructions. Well, off I went...

I sucked, I was the worst knitter on the face of the planet. I worked at casting on for 30 minutes, and when I finally had 20 sts on the left needle, I tried to knit... did I mention I sucked? I got to the end of that first row of knitting, turned the work and promptly pulled 6 sts off the needle trying to knit the first one. A little tight?

The real knitters there were incredible patient, but I was cheerfully incompetent for 2 hours. They were afraid I'd get discouraged and never pick up the needles again, but I insisted that it was OK for me to be the worst knitter in the world for a couple hours, I'd figure it out.

Two days later I went to JoAnns and bought a skein of sage-green Red Heart and some plastic size 8 needles. I printed some instructions off of the web and spent the day doing garter stitch. About 3 days after that I found KH, and the rest is history!

humblestumble
06-07-2006, 12:45 AM
I think it was pastel colored homespun - bleh! Not a good choice for a FIRST yarn! I tried to crochet with it first and that what a NIGHTMARE...okay, so actually the first thing I KNIT with was lion brand. I still have the swatch around in my room. Its so tiny.

Andrea
06-07-2006, 12:58 AM
Mine was TLC variegated pastel colors...and size 8 needles. I made a hat (I took a class at Hobby Lobby) :thumbsup:

I'll take a picture someday...DH has a picture of me on his desktop wearing the hat the second I finished it :D

sara_jayne
06-07-2006, 01:02 AM
Mine was TLC Heathers, in a lovely blue color. I used it to have my mom teach me how to knit and I've made a kennel blanket (donated to the local shelter) and a hat and scarf for my Mr. Flurry (ironically, for my mom) - I still have a little left! But I started knitting in Dec '05, so that isn't surprising...I have a little bit left of EVERY yarn I've used!

horve1
06-07-2006, 06:13 AM
Loving all these stories.....

My Gramma taught me the bare bones basics when I was very young. I don't remember anything about the needles or yarn then, and I'm pretty sure I didn't make anything but swatches. (That I probably used as blankets for my Barbies and/or Trolls!)

The first yarn I remember buying myself was in college. I decided to make something for my then boyfriend. Don't remember the brand, but it must have been Red Heart or something similar - golden color - and made a decent first attempt at a sweater with a fairly complex cable and bobble pattern on the front.