PDA

View Full Version : OT: When good boards go bad

kitkat
06-07-2006, 12:55 PM
I am a member of a labrador retriever board - have been part of it for the past 4 years - have met people from it, had them to my house, been to theirs, knitted for their babies, sorrowed over the loss of a parent, rejoiced over every day life.....but man oh man, it is just getting UGLY.

The board is large, very large - as a result, there have been several glitches in service. Everytime that happens, there are many on there who view it as a personal insult that THEIR board is down. HOW DARE THOSE EVIL ADMINISTRATORS! Its a conspiracy!

Also due to the size of the board, you have kids, senior citizens, rich, poor, multi-ethnic, you name it, all the things that make this world so wonderful. Lots of different viewpoints. But lately - you never know what will trigger it, but there is alot of hate and venom on the board. ALOT of it.

Certain people are known on the board for having tons of information about the topic - they are the go-to people. I personally have had excellent, and perhaps even life-saving (my dog, not me) advice from them over the years, and consider myself fortunate to have them as sounding boards. But lately - those very people are under attack. Several of them have left. Even their leaving (regardless of whether it was done quietly or with a farewell post) is subject to scrutiny or attack.

Over the past year I had begun to really limit my participation in the board - it just wasn't a warm/fuzzy place any more. But now....I am not sure I want any part of it.

It just is very sad. I am so glad that I don't see the seeds for this kind of behavior on this board. GROUP HUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rebecca
06-07-2006, 01:02 PM
I know exactly what you mean! It's really awful to have a select few run others off because these few have an issue with (me thinks) bitterness within themselves and enjoy projecting their bitterness onto others. I was (and still am, actually) a member of another forum and, for a while, it was fun...then the evil :evil: ones spewed their hatred and ugly back-biting remarks about. I check in from time to time, u know, to check on friends, but I can't stand the overall 'vibe' there....and, it's bc of a select 'few'...it's really a shame.
That's why I love this board so much...we just don't tolerate snipeyness (word?!) :D

Denise in Michigan
06-07-2006, 01:04 PM
:cheering: Yay, us!
Hug back atcha!

mulene
06-07-2006, 01:17 PM
I've also seen that happen on other boards too. I like that it isn't here also. The community here is lovely. I hope we never have people like that here!

I don't really know what the solution is, but good moderators are key in a lot of it I think. If there are good mods who are not worried about waving the time to cool out sticks it helps to keep a community in check.

When good communities grow hugely (because they are good and word of mouth has spread) it can be a struggle for the mods to keep up. You could move the core of the community elsewhere but the problem will re-arise when the rabble find it!

AnreeAce
06-07-2006, 02:06 PM
I strongly agree with other's opinions about how wonderful KH is. I used to belong to a history forum, and it seemed like very other post devolved into sniping, back-biting, name-calling and mud-slinging. I haven't been to visit it about a year, but I bet the same thing is still happening.

:heart:

Love this place, love these people. I never would have learned to knit without Amy's videos and the advice of more experienced knitters.

Yay for us!

Ingrid
06-07-2006, 03:41 PM
You know what? The members here get the credit for the kindness of this board. Since I've been a mod, my main job has been to eliminate duplicate posts and resize a few photos. On rare occasions, someone tries to sell something or make an inappropriate request.

I've been hanging around here (a lot :rofling: ) for a year now, and can honestly say that there was only one instance where someone got ugly, and I think home-made wine was involved :rollseyes: . That person apologized and has apparently moved on.

So this community of knitters and kind, friendly, helpful people can pat themselves on the back (set down the needles first, folks) for making this forum what it is. :heart: :heart:

Rennagayle
06-07-2006, 03:54 PM
I co own a christian homeschooling board on the net. We are also like a big family there, though we've had odd ones come along over the years, trying to cause division. They never stick around long, fortunately.

I've looked around at different message boards over the years, and always ended up mostly hanging out at mine, due to the fighting I'd see going on at other boards. Knitting Helps is the first board, other than my homeschooling board, that I've felt comfortable enough to stick around, and felt that the people here are truly nice people. :heart:

AmandaC
06-07-2006, 03:55 PM
This is a really nice forum ... I used to use the WeightWatchers UK website and sometimes it would be really nasty and they would even get 'trolls' - people logging in under a new name just to post nasty comments about someone else ....

I can't imagine that happening here .... :thumbsup:

kitkat
06-07-2006, 04:49 PM
Trying to imagine how a troll might try to agitate here.......

Here are some ideas (I have been at work too long today and am getting silly):

IF U USE THAT ACRYILIC YARN YOU ARE POZZESSED OF 11 DEMONS AND ARE GOINT BURN UP.

(in response to someone's much beloved and admired project) - "whoa dude i thought knitting was something anyone could learn but boy did you prove me wrong!"

(personal attacks) - Ingrid, I believe that you are telling that person the wrong way to fix that problem!

(personal attacks part 2) - Kelly - did you know that Chee-wow-wows are made of acrylic yarn and are possessed of 11 demons? (see original post above)

(personal attacks part 3) - Kitkat, that is the stupidest looking lab I have ever seen - and WHAT does he have to do with knitting, eh?

(response to a booga post) -PLEASE! GET OVER THE BOOGA! I hate the booga! Yours is ugly! Mine are way prettier!

Ahhhhhhhhhhh knitting trolls!

sara_jayne
06-07-2006, 04:50 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

samm
06-07-2006, 05:03 PM
OH Kitkat, too funny!!!! And what about the ones who use addis being superior???? We could prolly make up some pretty silly putdowns! I love it here. And at my other knitting group. Never a problem. Only support. Even for those of us who use acrylic yarn and knit with old non-addis. :roflhard: samm

sara_jayne
06-07-2006, 05:06 PM
use acrylic yarn and knit with old non-addis. :roflhard:

What about those of us that go both ways (use addis and others and acrylics and yummies)??? :?? :roflhard: :roflhard:

Countingsheep has knit with bamboo skewers before! We love everyone!

feministmama
06-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Ya know I think about this kind of thing a lot. Where does the impulse to be mean to complete strangers come form? Like that guy on the bus that knocked you out of the way so he could get on first. Or that woman who cut in line at the grocery store. Or people who yell at cashiers. Ya know all that kind of behavior fits right in with flaming. Did they have a bad childhood? Are they not getting enough attention? Do they need love? (That's what my son used to say when he was little. When he would act out I would flat out ask him "are you not getting enough attention? DO you need some love? and he would look at me for a second and come running into my arms. As he gre older and he would see other children on the playground acting mean he would turn to me and say "mum that child needs some love") Children really are wise little beings arne't they.?

MaggieL
06-07-2006, 05:43 PM
I don't post often anymore, but I read almost everyday and love this community.

Kitkat your too funny.

horve1
06-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Huge hugs to everyone here! This is my favorite forum anywhere, and I'm in on a wide variety pretty often. Someone who's better at words should come up with some witty saying about how knitting leads to peace leads to friendship...

AnreeAce
06-07-2006, 06:15 PM
When he would act out I would flat out ask him "are you not getting enough attention? DO you need some love? and he would look at me for a second and come running into my arms.

That story just made me get all sniffly here at my desk. What a lovely image to take with me for the rest of the day!
Thanks for sharing.

kitkat
06-07-2006, 07:30 PM
I have wondered too, where do some people get off.....whether it be internet or real world interactions - how can you just rip someone apart? Does that HONESTLY make you feel better? Or does it expose you for the sad sorry person that you really must be? I know the times in my life when I have said or done something rotten - and I have, we all have said things we regretted- I have KNOWN it and felt it and its just NOT a good feeling to have about yourself!

I really do think that we can all be proud of ourselves. We all applaud each other's efforts - we support each other - we make this a fun positive place to be for everyone, new and experienced. We don't need drama and controversy to make our day complete.

janelanespaintbrush
06-07-2006, 09:07 PM
When he would act out I would flat out ask him "are you not getting enough attention? DO you need some love? and he would look at me for a second and come running into my arms.

That story just made me get all sniffly here at my desk. What a lovely image to take with me for the rest of the day!
Thanks for sharing.

Me too. Warm fuzzies all over. :crying: Need to go hug my DH now... the kitty too!

go get your smock
06-07-2006, 10:16 PM
I have to say, I was off most boards for the last few years after disheartening experiences on forums devoted to quilting, carving wooden dolls and making houses from logs. At first I thought it was a girl thing (quilting and dolls -- man oh man, you should have seen the flame wars), but the log board confirmed it is mostly just human nature, sadly.

I've just returned to find my "peeps" online, and all the knitting boards I hang about on have generally nice, considerate people, and even nicer, more considerate people who smooth things over if someone flies off the handle or gets snippy.

A nice crowd, those knitters! Is it because they perform repetitive, soothing motions with their hands for hours on end? Is it because they must have endless patience and be able to work through frustration? Is it because they must recognize that most knitting lore is passed on verbally and therefore one must behave kindly if one is to continue to learn?

So, is it knitters are nice people, or nice people are knitters? :thinking:

Ingrid
06-07-2006, 10:18 PM
Good question!

Angelia
06-07-2006, 10:46 PM
That IS a good question! :thinking:

Is it Cristy here at KH who has reported horrible flame wars on a teddy bear forum? A TEDDY BEAR FORUM! How can people fight over teddy bears? Or quilts? Or dolls? Or knitting? Tastes differ, sure, but to attack one another over these things makes absolutely no sense to me. Why join a community if you clearly don't want to be part of one?

I'm so thankful that we can each come here, say "I've had a really crap day," and get hugs and jokes and funny pictures. On some forums, no way! People go straight for the jugular: "who gives a ****"; "shut the **** up you *****" and all that kind of thing. It's really sad.

And Kitkat--I see you've spent some time with trolls on other forums! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

go get your smock
06-08-2006, 12:25 AM
The best flame war on the quilting board was the time someone posted about smocking. Okay by me, fabric related, a cool idea for arty wall quilts, etc. Well, someone lit into her, "You Smocking Fool!" and ranting and ranting how it was a "quilting forum and not for stupid smockers who don't deserve any attention by anyone because what they make is cr**!" My DH came in to see what I was laughing at. The rant was so ridiculous that the tears were pouring down my cheeks.

Only later it occured to me that it might have been some sort of performance art on the part of the ranter. It was really funny in a heartless way. But I took the forum off my bookmarks and that was that for me.

Anyway DH hangs out on the Fender guitar forum, where everyone is unfailingly polite and a good sport. But we still use the expression, "you smocking fool!"

mulene
06-08-2006, 04:36 AM
:roflhard: you smocking fool!

:roflhard: :roflhard: kitkat that is too funny "you acrylic using knitting peasant!" "get away from here with your cheap cotton we only use Quivit around here!"

I also don't get all the flaming, I guess it is part of the anonymity of the internet - you can be a mouse in real life and hide behind a screen only to become a monster in the online world.

I really don't know why the world is so angry these days - it has been gradually getting worse over the last 15 years. We used to queue for busses here and get on in an orderly fashion. Not anymore! It is like a rugby match now and no one ever offers seats to the elderly, pregnant or people carrying children / heavy shopping anymore.

Not only that, in the UK (and I'm sure elsewhere too) we have non existant service anymore. I mean nowhere seems to offer service. In stores the staff are all chatting to each other at the tills and you are an inconvenience to their conversation, so you get tutted at and sighed at when all you want to do is pay for your goods! Heaven forbid you ask someone in the supermarket where the eggs are (they move the stuff around from week to week) they just look at you like you just asked them to give you their first born cooked in a pie.

I don't know where manners went :rollseyes: it is quite sad really.

Anyway having said all that - I love this place so much, everyone here is wonderful :cheering:

Angelia
06-08-2006, 07:16 AM
"You Smocking Fool"-- :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Oh wow, can you imagine what would happen if it were English Knitters vs. Conti Knitters here?! (No other knitting styles would count in this battle, of course.) Or if the people who knit fair isle were to go off on those who knit intarsia; if knitting scarves, discloths--basically anything without shaping--was considered weak and spineless; if sock-knitters started having it out over the 'proper' way to turn a heel? Or if people started new threads like "Angelia's a crap knitter and here's why!" :rofling:

mulene
06-08-2006, 08:18 AM
:roflhard:

You know that Mulene - shes such a crap knitter, she spends all her time posting on these boards and not knitting! =P

Old Knitter
06-08-2006, 08:18 AM
I have also left forums that seemed a little too caustic to me.......but, I wonder if I should have said something before I left? I don't mind a good natured discussion about my yarn is better than your favorite yarn, but personal jibes just make me tense up. Knitters are peace makers!

Angelia
06-08-2006, 08:34 AM
More than likely they'd have flamed you for complaining about their flaming. It's probably best that you left quietly, which can actually be quite loud, metaphorically speaking!

OH SHUT UP U USE BIG WORDS TO MAKE US THINK U R SMART. U R A HO WHO CANT KNIT AND ONLY TALKS CRAP

mulene
06-08-2006, 08:55 AM
u use plastic childrens needles lolz! =P

Angelia
06-08-2006, 09:47 AM
u suxors with that acrylic! wool rulz!

mulene
06-08-2006, 10:00 AM
u suxors with that acrylic! wool rulz!

:crying: u r so mean you yarn snob you!

Old Knitter
06-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Caution.........moths go after the stashes of snobs........

;)

dustinac
06-08-2006, 10:12 AM
:roflhard: I tell ya its very interesting how here you can have an adult discussion on anything without it getting personal or others making you feel low for having your own opinion.. its really nice that everyone gets along and cares here.. I belong to a teddy board and yes and you have a few that are so mean that you know as soon as you post they are going to tear you down and then talk about their rights to have their own opinion but what I can't have mine?? :lol: its horrible there I just lurk and read not very active over there anymore and they say that all teddy bear collectors are nice its not true.. they even sunk to anymous e-mails about things you posted... it got crazy :lol: :rofling: :roflhard:

mulene
06-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Caution.........moths go after the stashes of snobs........

;)

:roflhard: :shock: I best check my stash when I get home ;)

Dustinac - thats crazy! I have visions of all these angry bear wielding people shaking their fists (and bears) at everyone LOL

Angelia
06-08-2006, 10:17 AM

Oh, Dustina, it was YOU who had the stories about the teddy bear forum! (They stun me still!)

mulene
06-08-2006, 10:19 AM
The more I think of it the more crazy it sounds - how can you be angry with / about bears? I mean those things are just the cutest, wouldn't looking at one make you melt and go all goey instead of turn you into an angry loon? =P

dustinac
06-08-2006, 10:23 AM
:rofling: belive me it shocks me too :shock: like posted earlier makes ya wonder what happened to make them that way... kinda sad when you think of it that way...

skNYC
06-08-2006, 10:23 AM
I belonged to a board with my first pregnancy, and it lasted 2-3 wonderful years with 200-ish members. Then it went ugly and the board split in half, then the halves split in halves, then at the end, everyone hated everyone. I was being neutral but I was hated by all groups as a result because I did not take sides. I quit when the final board had about only a dozen members left.

What can you do ?!

Angelia
06-08-2006, 10:30 AM
:shock:

I hope someone is doing a sociological study and can inform us about the oddities of forums. I'm so happy that we're all happy here! :heart:

CateKnits
06-08-2006, 10:30 AM
I hate it most when support forums go bad. I was part of a support channel on IRC that had a disagreement between two members that literally ripped it in half. One of the members had become one of my best friends and she was on the quieter, less assertive, and therefore wrong side...so I had to leave. It got crazy just before that, anyway. There were rules like you couldn't use certain nicks if they contained upsetting language, which is fine and I totally understand that...but one person had the balls to tell me that my NAME, Katie, was upsetting to her. :shock: Like that wouldn't be upsetting to ME to hear that my NAME was no longer okay to use?! Screw that. :mad:

Angelia
06-08-2006, 10:33 AM
They started picking on NAMES? :shock:

I'm trying to imagine what on earth might be upsetting about the name Katie... :??

CateKnits
06-08-2006, 10:37 AM
It was someone's name...an ex-girlfriend, a sister that died, you know, something with a drawn out and dramatic story.

NinaT
06-08-2006, 10:57 AM
I used to belong to a stained glass board that had people with tons of great advice for new artists. It also had some of the nastiest people I have ever experienced!! :shock: These were people who would flame you because of what brand of solder you used! If you made 3D objects (instead of flat windows) you were C**P! How does this happen? Supposedly you are all lovers of the same art. I love this forum becuase I have NEVER seen anything approaching an unkind word. :heart: People of all skill levels feel comfortable posting pix of their work and get supportive comments no matter what! I feel so blessed that I found you all.

P.S. I LOVE the name Katie (my wonderful, sweet and talented oldest daughter is a Katie!)

mulene
06-08-2006, 11:00 AM
"the artistic temprament" in action it sounds like lol

knitaddict
06-08-2006, 11:05 AM
Sadly it's not just due to an artistic temperment. I've belonged to several stay-at-home-mom boards and most of them have dissolved into the same type of infantile behavior you all have written of. :(

What I don't understand is that everyone seems to rally around these bitter attackers. You'd think that they'd be called on the carpet and removed from the forum. Instead it seems they become the leader of a fanatic clique. I don't get it!

Old Knitter
06-08-2006, 11:11 AM
Well.....as a little girl in school I never confronted a bully. Could it be the same mentality? We just avoid conflict which lets bullies reign.

Kirochka
06-08-2006, 12:42 PM
Well, personally, my teddy bears are cuter than your teddy bears...!!! :P :)

Actually, I was telling Kelly yesterday that I didn't even know there were other knitting boards, and was very surprised to come across one by accident once when googling something. It was nowhere near as cozy or friendly as this one is.

This place is unusually wonderful, is all! :heart:

kitkat
06-08-2006, 01:44 PM
Well, it WOULD be wonderful if we didnt have those terrible people who have (fill in the blank) in their stash, or who used those horrible (fill in the blank) needles - those people corrupt the very art of knitting oh yes they do....or those evil people who knit(fill in the blank) and that shows CLEARLY that they are stupid bad ugly and NOT WORTH LIVING!

Oh yeah and I STRONGLY object to the name CATE I mean come on EVERYONE knows that name is very bad vibes!!!! ROFL! (When I read that, I almost snorted diet coke out the nose - what kind of person objects to a person's real name????)

I would bet there are socialogical studies on this - its like the people who go into the adult friend sites and post pictures of their um, guys and girls..... :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: they can get away without anyone knowing that its them, so they do it...because they can. Any inhibitions that we have are lowered because its anonymous.

earthchick
06-08-2006, 02:33 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: KitKat you are hilarious.

I totally :heart: this board and find it completely amazing that it has been drama-free and flame-free. In the four years since I first discovered the world of online forums, I have been shocked at some of what has happened on boards. I think the parenting forums can be the worst - people get really uppity about their parenting beliefs - and I completely stay away from religious boards, too. And some of the worst flaming I ever saw happened on a forum about HAIR. :shock:

I think it is so wonderful that the people on this board are so respectful of each other. I love it!

Ingrid
06-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Um, Angelia, that extra 'i' really bothers me. :P :rofling:

How can you envision a raging maniac holding teddy? :rollseyes:

AnreeAce
06-08-2006, 03:13 PM
How can you envision a raging maniac holding teddy? :rollseyes:

Actually, I can envision it pretty easily, which probably says something about my over-active imagination.

Jeremy
06-08-2006, 03:18 PM
oooh. Continental knitters vs. the English. Just like the Bloods and the Crips. Cue the music from West Side Story... I can just see the graffitti on the subways..."Ingrid Rulz" :rofling:

Kirochka
06-08-2006, 03:20 PM
Right, Daddy-O!

Ingrid
06-08-2006, 04:07 PM
Somehow I don't think the Bloods and Crips dance down the street like the guys in West Side Story! :roflhard:

We could also branch the English and Contis into sub-groups--the Circs and the Straights. The Circs strangle their vics and the straights jab. No, true knitters would never get their needles bloody. :thinking:

CateKnits
06-08-2006, 04:13 PM
That's what "needles" made of razor wire and shanks are for, Ingrid. :shifty:

Ingrid
06-08-2006, 04:16 PM
That's what "needles" made of razor wire and shanks are for, Ingrid. :shifty:

:doh: Just don't mix them up! :shock:

Angelia
06-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Razor wire and shanks? Ouchie! :shock:

I've never been to another knitting forum either, Karen, though someone here (awhile back) posted a link to a page in another forum where a knitter had posted a pattern she'd made for an i-pod cozy, and someone went off on her about how detailed the pattern was, complaining that what she should have said was "knit a rectangle, fold it, and join the sides." She kept up the attack, ranting at the other knitter for even bothering to post the pattern at all, suggesting that only an idiot couldn't figure out how to make an i-pod cozy. This flamer became enraged when other posters called her out for being mean. None really seemed to rally around her, instead supporting the pattern poster, which was nice, but I'm sure that's an isolated incident. :(

I don't like the "i" in your name, Ingrid. In fact, I dislike both of them! Henceforth, ye shall be known as Ngrd.

Old Knitter
06-08-2006, 06:26 PM
Careful Angelia........I don't think Ngrd is going to take kindly to the loss of her i's.

Ingrid
06-08-2006, 06:31 PM
How DARE you take away my vowels! Who do you think you are? Just because your a fancy-smancy English perfesser it doesn't give you a right, you know. :fingerwag: YOU have an I to spare! Take away your i and your name is still Angela. Take away MY i's and my name becomes a choking sound. :evil:

I see Old Knitter is on my side! :P

jodstr2
06-08-2006, 06:50 PM
I used to post in another knitting forum but I got tired of the attacks and negativity in there.

Ingrid
06-08-2006, 06:54 PM
I remember a poor newbie who asked who Elizabeth Zimmerman was on another forum. Some people acted like she was a complete idiot. I got angry (in a nice way) and tried to point out that every post represented everyone on the forum and I didn't want to be represented that way. Some people agreed, some didn't. I don't go there anymore.

Angelia
06-08-2006, 07:09 PM
How DARE you take away my vowels! Who do you think you are? Just because your a fancy-smancy English perfesser it doesn't give you a right, you know. :fingerwag: YOU have an I to spare! Take away your i and your name is still Angela. Take away MY i's and my name becomes a choking sound. :evil:

:angelgrin:

perfesser... :rofling:

That's a terrible story about the EZ question! :( It's too bad you left, Ingy, since you were (are) clearly a voice of reason.

You are Ngrd the Wise!

:hiding:

Ingrid
06-08-2006, 07:20 PM
No, I'm Ngrd the Wse!

Angelia
06-08-2006, 07:23 PM

Oh, you got me!!! :thumbsup:

Julie
06-08-2006, 07:25 PM
:roflhard: This thread is the BEST :roflhard:

Ingrid
06-08-2006, 07:34 PM
:roflhard: This thread is the BEST :roflhard:

What're YOU laughing at? :o

BinkyKat
06-08-2006, 07:38 PM
:thinking:
Um, there are other knitting forums out there? :shock:
Gee, 13 months ago when I was googling "free knitting videos" and found Amy's KH site... I pretty much never searched again... in fact, when I click on links to other forums posted here, I feel adulterous...and exprerience a little sensory overload. This site just feels so kind and cozy and satisfyingly easy to move around in
:inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
My guess is the knitting snobs on the other sites had their precious perfect projects featured on the YouKnitWhat? blog so they are bitter!
:roflhard: :roflhard:

Ingrid
06-08-2006, 07:43 PM
They're not all bad. There are individuals, though. :rollseyes: Other forums are so big, though, with so many categories--a lot of which don't involve knitting. This is a cozy, easy-to-negotiate place, and having blogs here allows you to go off topic without making it a category of its own.

mulene
06-08-2006, 08:02 PM
:roflhard: Ngrd the Wse! I too can well imagine a maniac wielding a teddy. I also have an over active imagination :rofling: which helps since everyone where I work is rather serious (and a bit mean & nasty at times) and if I didn't have a good active imagination I'd have gone bonkers long ago ;)

Kirochka
06-08-2006, 08:03 PM
NGRD!!! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

If you took my vowels away, it'd be scary too...! Krchk or Krn!!! :shock:

Hmmm... Ngl... Jl... yeah, I guess we all still need our vowels... :rollseyes:

Kirochka
06-08-2006, 08:03 PM
What are you doing awake, Mulene!?! ;)

gardenmommy
06-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Ngrd the Wse sounds like some Scandinavian warrior or something like that. :rofling:

brownishcoat
06-08-2006, 08:50 PM
The English and the Continentals may have a Hatfield and McCoy thing going on, but they agree on one thing; those Combination (read: bisexual) knitters are beneath contempt.

"Just pick one already!"

:shock: :shock: :shock:

mulene
06-08-2006, 09:03 PM
What are you doing awake, Mulene!?! ;)

ROFL I just got home a while ago ;)

Bed time now tho :rofling:

snowbear
06-08-2006, 10:39 PM
there are always going to be people who's life ambition is to put others down... let them be... I'm too busy worrying about my own faults to worry about anyone else's. #1 I think Labs are wonderful animals...lol so loving and cuddly... but... I regress. Knitting helps heal what ails ya when ya don't know what ails ya...EZ would be proud of the way we support each other... hugs to all..

p.s. remind me of this as I would love to spank my 22yr old daughter right about now, lol

:XX:

Ingrid
06-08-2006, 10:43 PM
The English and the Continentals may have a Hatfield and McCoy thing going on, but they agree on one thing; those Combination (read: bisexual) knitters are beneath contempt.

"Just pick one already!"

:shock: :shock: :shock:

We can't have those that knit both ways, you know. :thumbsup:

Angelia
06-09-2006, 07:03 AM
NGRD!!! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

If you took my vowels away, it'd be scary too...! Krchk or Krn!!! :shock:

Oooh, I like Krn!! :thumbsup:

*says Ngl... *:shock:

Oh, those poor combination knitters...the Conti and English knitters can fight over the, the, HERETICS! :rofling:

kitkat
06-09-2006, 07:20 AM
:thinking:
My guess is the knitting snobs on the other sites had their precious perfect projects featured on the YouKnitWhat? blog so they are bitter!

GOOD ONE!!!!

KellyK
06-09-2006, 08:48 AM
OMG, Im SO glad I checked this forum today!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Just as some people seem to be militantly NASTY, we seem to be militantly protective of the community that's been created here.

Ngrd said earlier that her job as a Mod has entailed nothing but some re-sizing of pics and so on.... Ive found the same to be true, and I was in the very first group of mods!

We get all EXCITED when the RARE occasion comes for us to really MODERATE something! And, Ive been so grateful for those that come to us right away and ask us to "watch" this or that thread because they worry that it might start leaning toward ugliness.

I think a big part of it is the fact that we have developed an unspoken "policy" to always start with a very diplomatic PM... the couple of times Ive stepped into something (ew!), we start by assuming that there must have been a misunderstanding... instead of assuming that people were being nasty or controversial purposefully.

And, yeah... at the heart of it is the fact that knitters are just GOOD people. Sure, Ive met a couple of yarn snobs (and those werent here.... they were at LYS), but even then, I think knitters have experienced SO MANY benefits from their craft that they just want to SHARE that with everyone they meet! Here, I think that feeling is multiplied by 1,000, because Amy started KH by SHARING her videos. This place was founded with nothing but kindness and generosity.

All that said, Im still blown away, EVERY day, by the REAL and TRUE friendships I have developed here. I cant even begin to list the benefits I have taken away from this forum!

:heart: :heart: :heart: LUV LUV LUV!!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Even to the combined knitters!

mulene
06-09-2006, 10:11 AM
Even to the combined knitters!

Pink Dandelion
06-10-2006, 04:39 AM

I'm trying to laugh quietly and not wake anybody and it makes my stomach hurt!! How dare ya'll be so funny!!!

I've been to other knitting forums, and they're certainly not this pleasant. I think it's 'cuase with threads like this around nobody's in the mood to flame anybody else.

It's hard to flame somebody when you're laughing too hard to type...

Angelia
06-10-2006, 08:32 AM
It's hard to flame somebody when you're laughing too hard to type...

:thumbsup:

kitkat
06-12-2006, 07:06 AM
What has become apparent on the board having problems, is that there is a whole sub-group of people who are very actively subversive. They formed their own group a few years ago - and it looks like a case of too much time on their hands. They have driven away 3 members, people like Kelly or Ngrd (heehee) on this board - one poor girl they drove away because she had gotten a new camera, and in the OT section of the board had posted a bunch of pictures that she had taken. They totally ripped her apart. The other two, they have had targeted for a long time. I was invited to be a member of the subgroup back when it started before it was so blatantly awful- and even then, most of their time was spent on dissing other members. Not for me - I resigned - but knowing what I do about them - its pretty obvious that they are "weeding out" the people they don't like.

I am sure the board will survive - it has thousands of people who read it - and I am sure I will continue to lurk there (one of my online friend's dog is very sick right now - I am checking in hourly for updates on him) but I can't be part of that stuff! I like my happy home here :thumbsup:

Stonington
06-12-2006, 09:54 AM
KitKat wrote :I am sure the board will survive - it has thousands of people who read it - and I am sure I will continue to lurk there (one of my online friend's dog is very sick right now - I am checking in hourly for updates on him) but I can't be part of that stuff! I like my happy home here

This is like coming home isn't it? Thank you all! :heart:
anne
sebago, ME