PDA

View Full Version : What to do when you're blue?

Nikki
06-09-2006, 05:19 PM
I've had a horrible week, just horrible. My job here is taking care of my cattle. They all have names, they come when they are called and the male farmers around here know I'm crazy cause I don't raise them for market. Yes, about every other year we have a steer butchered for the locker and all the kids and their kids come about once a month and load up with beef. Yesterday I lost one of my cows. She was a bottle baby-I raised her on a calf bottle. She was a mature lady but I still wasn't ready for her to die. I cried. All the vets could do was scratch their heads and send blood samples away. I'm going to have to raise her calf on a bottle now too. I had him pinned up in my barn, but some bright soul decided to let him out. When questioned, all the hands did the "Not me" thing. Thanks guys. Now the little guy has to go another 12 hours without having warm milk and crying and crying for his mom. :crying: :crying:

This morning I attended a performance of Beauty and the Beast my four year old granddaughter was in. When we left I knew I had to change this mood pretty quickly or it was going to bleed over on her. First we went to ToysRUs to gather some goodies for her, then we hit the LYS for me. It worked. Knitting a new project with new yarn is good for the soul.
Nikki

Pixywhispers
06-09-2006, 05:28 PM
(((Nikki)))

edited for a brain fart, <sigh>, sorry! And to add
Keep us updated on the baby.

Holly
06-09-2006, 05:32 PM
What a nice memorial for your lost cow -- whatever you decide to knit, you'll be able to look back on the good memories whenever you look at the FO. Hang in there {{{{Nikki}}}} Now go out there and find that baby!! Better yet...send the guys!

skNYC
06-09-2006, 06:00 PM
I am sorry about your lost cow :(
If it was a regular blue day I would say go shopping, but this is not a usual blue. Hugs!

rebecca
06-09-2006, 06:54 PM
Sorry about your loss! I'm glad that you have her baby, though ;)
I do the same thing when I'm down...begin a new project..works wonders for me ;)

Chel
06-09-2006, 07:44 PM
Starting a new project is a great idea... I'm sorry about your cow. I can see how easy they might be to love, with their big soulful eyes and sweet little cow noses.

I believe everything in life has an eternal balance. For every death there is a birth, for every smile there is a tear shed. Don't pay attention to those guys... quite possibly the entire reason the universe put them in your path is because you balance out their low emotional I.Q., and your love of other living creatures needs to spill over to the m a bit.

Always remember, the bad days only exist to give us a true appreciation for the good days.

ANd having said all that... (((((GIANT HUGS))))))

Celine
06-09-2006, 08:32 PM
I'm sorry too about your cow. I was reading about your "life" and thought how different it is from mine. No cows in my life. I'd get to love one too I'm sure. But I do have two dogs. Hang in there. :D

Amber
06-09-2006, 08:39 PM
I'm so sorry!! (((hugs))) That little calf crying for him mom just breaks my heart. :heart:

06-09-2006, 08:46 PM
Hi Nikki,

I am so very sorry for your loss. I wish you much peace and comfort in the following weeks and months.

I have to add that I so wish I had lived on a farm. My dad used to work with a guy who had a lot of cows and we went to see his farm one day and I was amazed at how they responded to him, but with our family there they sure were a bit leary :lol: I thought they were just beautiful creatures I always want to go and pet them but am a bit scared at their size. Maybe someday I'll work up the courage.

Again, I wish you the best.

geekgolightly
06-10-2006, 12:16 AM
im so sorry you lost her. and she had a little one, too. my heart goes out to him and to you. :heart: those hands, arent they supposed to be helping you not making it harder?? that makes me so angry. they shouldnt be messing with you or the calf at a time like this.

on a totally practical note: do you lose money not giving these cows to market? i would love to raise cows and not have to send them to market!

feministmama
06-10-2006, 01:11 AM
They all have names, they come when they are called and the male farmers around here know I'm crazy cause I don't raise them for market.

But you obviously love and respect yer cows (like in India no?) so maybe they just can't see the love and compassion you have for your lovely cows. Someday they will. After seeing how well you love your cows that love has to spill over on them. Knit that baby cow up a nice blankie. Feel better soon. :heart:

samm
06-11-2006, 05:41 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your cow and her little calf left behind. I hope you find him soon and that he is okay. I know he isn't, but maybe you will help fill the hole in his little heart. I know for certain that you will try. Let us know about him okay? I will worry until I know he is safe. How old is he? samm who has animals around her always and knows how much they are loved and part of your life. Hugs for you with my concern and condolences.

Cristy
06-11-2006, 05:57 PM
I'm sorry for your loss--I hate blue days. I don't quite know what to do when I'm having a blue day...so I'd not be a good one to give advice. I hope things get better for you.

Nikki
06-11-2006, 06:11 PM
Hands down, you guys are the very best. Thank you from the bottom of my :heart:

The orphan is now on a bottle AND I think I may have to put a ski mask on him to hide his identity. He is dashing up to other cows, taking a quick drink and then dashing away before she understands it's not her calf nursing. The last sick calf is now up and fussing about being pinned up away from mom. Life is better.

Cattle make wonderful pets, mine are so gentle I worry about them during hunting season. Around here most of the hunters are fantastic outdoors people and are a good source of info for lots of agencies, the exceptions are the ones that load up the campers with fence cutters, bourbon, beer, guns and ammo. They are the reason I use temporary electric fencing and bring everyone close to home until the season is over. AND the reason all my grandchildren have day-glow orange vest as mandatory clothing in the fall.

Thanks again and hugs back to all of you,
Nikki