PDA

View Full Version : Which ball winder would you recommend?

knitaddict
06-14-2006, 11:44 AM
I've got a 50% off coupon for Joann's that I'm itching to use for a ball winder. I just recycled one of dh's old sweaters and there is NO WAY I can wind all that yarn on my thumb. :lol:

Of these two (http://www.joann.com/search/search_results.jhtml;$sessionid$0QWL34QAAAVGYP4SY5 LRIHR50LD3UEPO?CATID=3&keywords=ball+winder&_requestid=47929) which would you recommend? I'm sort of leaning toward the one on the left.

Julie
06-14-2006, 11:47 AM
I have the one on the right...I got it for like $17 after coupons :happydance:

It is sort of...cheap...but I haven't had any problems with it. :D

brendajos
06-14-2006, 11:58 AM
i think i have the one on the left....assuming the picture is black and white anyway. it looks most similar to that one anyway. i have never had any trouble with it and they have it at the LYS too so it seems to handle "commercial" use pretty well.

JLC
06-14-2006, 12:14 PM
I have the one on the left. When I bought it, my dh said he thought it was stupid and that it would be another "gadget" I never use. WRONG. I use it all the time, along with the wooden swift my dad made me.

mulene
06-14-2006, 12:16 PM
I got one from ebay - not sure of the brand I think it is "angel" I've had it for ages - got it for about 2 when I was thinking I'd take knitting back up last year. It took a year for me to pick the needles back up though I'm glad I got thatl, it was very handy when I got my Lorna's Laces sock yarn!

rebecca
06-14-2006, 12:30 PM
Lonnie surprised me with mine, it's a Royal, which looks like the one on the left...I LOVE it :D It's a VERY NICE gadget!!!! I don't have a swift, though, I don't have the need for one...ball winder, though...priceless :thumbsup:

knitaddict
06-14-2006, 01:39 PM
Looks like the one on the left is winning the race. ;) TY, ladies. :)

Kirochka
06-14-2006, 02:12 PM
I didn't realize they have ball winders at Jo-Ann - NOW I know what to use that coupon on!!!! :cheering: :cheering: (I think I do need a swift, though... one more tangled pile of yarn on the living room floor and I may tear my hair out... )

Thanks for this thread! :thumbsup:

sara_jayne
06-14-2006, 03:04 PM
I too have the one on the left and I love it. I used a 40% of coupon on-line for it which was great. I don't have a swift - that is what DH hands are for!!!

brendajos
06-14-2006, 03:14 PM
I didn't realize they have ball winders at Jo-Ann - NOW I know what to use that coupon on!!!! :cheering: :cheering: (I think I do need a swift, though... one more tangled pile of yarn on the living room floor and I may tear my hair out... )

Thanks for this thread! :thumbsup:

don't think the stores have them unless maybe you have one of those joann's super stores. but they are available on their website and of course if you can't find a coupon there is always something at www.currentcodes.com

Freyja
06-14-2006, 04:01 PM
I have the one on the left. My LYS also has the one on the left. :heart: :heart: :heart: the winder!

Kirochka
06-15-2006, 09:28 AM
I'm going to go to Jo-Ann on Friday (50% off coupon for that day!) and see if they have it - if not, I'll order it from the website - and thanks for the link to the Current Codes site! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

kemp
06-15-2006, 10:43 AM
I have to vote with the one on the left as well. I haven't used the other one but I've seen one like it and it didn't look very sturdy!

Doublereeder2
06-15-2006, 11:55 AM
Hmmmm. :thinking: I have the one on the left (a Royal, blue handle). It works great and with the coupon (the % is off the regular price, not the sale price) it makes a good buy.

carollovesyarn
06-16-2006, 05:42 PM
The one on the left definitely. I have a blue Royal if that's what it is (usually it's more $$) and I like it. Other people have given negative opinions about the one on the right in the past.

VictoiseC
06-16-2006, 06:13 PM
I vote for your thumb. :D (couldn't resist)

I love doing it by hand. But my new swift is on it's way so maybe I"ll change my mind. I even do "flat" balls with my thumb, somehow they turn out more often than a round one.