PDA

View Full Version : Adamas Shawl KAL

jhelanee
06-15-2006, 04:31 PM
I got the pattern for the Adamas Shawl (http://www.knitpicks.com/Projects/Projects_Display_Yarn.aspx?itemid=50422220&yarnid=5420127) from KnitPicks, and after seeing the recent question (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14050) about it, thought a KAL might be fun. Anyone else want to join me?

I need to finish a couple of other things first, so I won't be starting mine for a couple of weeks. But don't let me stop you from starting sooner if you want!

Looking forward to a nice summery lace project. :happydance:

~Jennifer

edited to add link to pattern

NinaT
06-15-2006, 09:05 PM
I'm in! I should finish Soleil but I'm so easily diverted!!

NinaT
06-19-2006, 11:01 AM
Well, I just emailed KP with several concerns about the pattern. Let's see what they have to say. In Row 9 of the Body and Edge Charts the pattern increases2 stitches on each side per half when it should only increase by 1.
Also, what I have knit (and I was VERY careful) looks nothing like the picture. I know about the blocking defense but I have spread this thing out and it just is not even close to the picture. I guess it's back to Soleil until I hear from them. I wish it was a free pattern so that I could post it to see what you all might say.

jhelanee
06-19-2006, 01:30 PM
Hmmm. :?? I haven't started mine yet so I can't help you. Let me know if you find anything out though!

jhelanee
06-19-2006, 08:18 PM
Nina-

I did some looking around this afternoon and it seems others are able to make the shawl without issue from the pattern. One thing I noticed from several in-progress pictures is that it appears you begin at the center of the top and work outwards to the points, putting on the edging last. One good picture was here (http://plainjaneknits.blogspot.com/2006/06/progress.html).

Does this help things make more sense? Now that you brought this up I want to start on mine! I was planning on waiting for the rest of my lunch knitting group, but I may be too impatient... :thinking:

NinaT
06-20-2006, 10:16 AM
Thanks Jennifer!

Well heck, now it all makes much more sense!!! I didn't listen to Ingrid and "Trust the Pattern" :oops:. I feel like such an idiot. I thought we started at the bottom point. I do still have the question about the increases in row 9 of the body and edge chart. Thanks again. I should have thought of looking for other people making this shawl.

jhelanee
06-20-2006, 12:21 PM
Don't worry about it. I made the same assumption to begin with - too bad the pattern did not specify where you start to save us the headaches!
Considering that the "double increase" is present on all of the charts, and no corrections have been posted by KP, it is probably correct. From my limited experience with triangular shawls, I think that these extra stitches are needed to get the shape - without them I think the shawl would end up longer relative to its width (but I am not sure). My guess is that they fall on the rows corresponding to the diagonals of the squares, but I won't know for sure until I actually start working it.

~Jennifer

NinaT
06-23-2006, 05:22 AM
You were right again! The increases were absolutely right and I am knitting away happily :D . I'm not sure why I had so much trouble getting started on this. I've been knitting since I was 12. I've done lots of fair isle knitting but this was only my second lace project (after Branching Out). I know now that I need to keep a "brainless" project in my bag to take with me. There's no way I could do this shawl if people were talking to me of if I had to concentrate on something!!

volmel
06-23-2006, 12:30 PM
I ordered the yarn and the pattern day before yesterday! I ordered the color that is in the picture.

Mel

jhelanee
06-23-2006, 12:46 PM
:waving: Hi Mel! Glad you decided to join us, I am doing the color on the pattern too.

Nina: I couldn't wait any longer and cast mine on last night. I am only through the upper chart, but loving the way it looks so far! As I suspected, it looks to me like those "extra" increases are the start of the next row of squares. Now I am waiting on my new stitch markers being delivered before starting the body chart. I completely agree with you that this is a "concentration project" that will be hard to do while talking/etc. (at least for a while). Glad you have gotten things figured out. :happydance:

:XX: :XX: :XX:

NinaT
06-23-2006, 02:43 PM
Welcome Mel!
Mine is the same color! I'm using bright red yarn loops as markers. I tried using some of the cheap plastic markers I had but they didn't work well. When I did a yarn over after a marker it kept rolling to the other side of the marker.
I also finished Soleil so now I can work on Adamas without guilt! :cheering:

jhelanee
06-23-2006, 02:56 PM
Mine is the same color! I'm using bright red yarn loops as markers. I tried using some of the cheap plastic markers I had but they didn't work well. When I did a yarn over after a marker it kept rolling to the other side of the marker.
I also finished Soleil so now I can work on Adamas without guilt! :cheering:

I should keep that yarn loop trick in mind. I am not particularly liking using my current hard plastic markers either, especially around the center stitch. The new ones are a soft rubber (I think) so I will see how those work.

I usually have several things on the needles and don't feel guilty switching off, but I am up to 4 (a lot for me) and starting to feel like I should just finish my design-you-own tank before getting too far into Adamas. We'll see how that works out. ;)

itaintpretty
06-23-2006, 10:38 PM
I found this while Googling for help on the Adamas Shawl, the red lines on the chart were really stumping me. I just wanted to say the comments on here have been extremely helpful, thanks very much!! :thumbsup:

jhelanee
06-24-2006, 02:55 AM
Wow, we made google! :shock:

Glad that you found our discussion helpful and good luck with your project!

NinaT
06-27-2006, 02:29 PM
I should keep that yarn loop trick in mind. I am not particularly liking using my current hard plastic markers either, especially around the center stitch. The new ones are a soft rubber (I think) so I will see how those work.

I tried using those really little (1/2" in diam.) rubber bands (I use them for DD9's hair). The problem was that when I scooted the stitches down the rubber bands wanted to stick to the needle. Then they would twist and roll under the other stitches. So back to the drawing board and nack to yarn loops. ;)

jhelanee
06-27-2006, 04:45 PM
Nina-

Thanks for the warning. I haven't gotten my package yet so I don't know exactly what the markers I ordered are like, but I will keep the yarn loop option in mind in case they don't work either.

(I haven't done any more knitting on Adamas since I am waiting on the new markers. but I am getting impatient and may just go ahead if they aren't in my mailbox when I get home from work today!)

volmel
07-06-2006, 04:40 PM
I've seen dental floss thicker than this yarn! It's tiny.

Mel

jhelanee
07-06-2006, 05:11 PM
I've seen dental floss thicker than this yarn! It's tiny.

Mel

It does take a bit of getting used to. :) But after working with it for a while I am finding it is not that bad.

Speaking of working, I am finally going to get back to this next week. My stitch markers finally came, and while they are not exactly what I was hoping for I think they will work fine. Also, I have finished up some of the other things I was making myself clear off needles, so after I get back from going out of town to a friend's wedding this weekend I will be working on Adamas guilt free! :happydance:

volmel
07-06-2006, 05:19 PM
Silly question, but here goes. On the body chart and the edge chart, the red blocks say "repeat with marker on each side". So I knit that block, slip the marker and knit that block again???

Thanks,
Mel

volmel
07-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Another question I'm confused about> at the beginning of the rows on all the charts, you knit the first stitches then comes the big red line and then a yo. So does the big red line mean that I knit those first two stitches again?

Dazed and confused,
Mel

jhelanee
07-06-2006, 05:30 PM
Silly question, but here goes. On the body chart and the edge chart, the red blocks say "repeat with marker on each side". So I knit that block, slip the marker and knit that block again???

That sounds about right. The first time through the body chart I don't think you have to repeat that section (but since I haven't actually done it yet you will want to count to confirm this). As you work the charts you add a new pattern repeat every time. So for subsequent times through the chart, you will knit that block as many times as necessary to fill the space between the right and left hand increasing sides of each half. The markers are there to help you keep track of where that repeated block is and how many times you have to repeat it.

Hope that helps!

jhelanee
07-06-2006, 05:33 PM
Another question I'm confused about> at the beginning of the rows on all the charts, you knit the first stitches then comes the big red line and then a yo. So does the big red line mean that I knit those first two stitches again?

Nope. The red lines on the pattern at the beginning, end and center of all the charts simply indicate the location of stitch markers. This is not started in the pattern, however, and confused several of us until I compared how the starting section lines up with the chart and decided they must indicate stitch markers. It makes sense and the pattern seems to be coming out correctly, so I guess that's right.

ETA: Don't feel bad about asking any of your questions. The pattern is a bit intimidating at first, and I think we all went through a familiarizing period with it. That's why i started a KAL - so we can all help each other out. :D

volmel
07-06-2006, 05:38 PM
Thanks so much Jennifer! I thought that was right about the upper part of the chart and had treated the red lines as just indicating stitch markers and was knitting that way. I think once I get to the body and edge, I'll see that the stitches across the row need to be repeated as indicated to make the count come out correctly. A new pattern always confuses me until I get to that section and just start in on it.

Thanks so much!

Mel

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-06-2006, 09:27 PM
This looks FUN! I love how you guys are all working together :-) Maybe when i ordr my yarn for the L&S cardigan, I might get the pattern too... and some yarn!

VickiIL
07-06-2006, 11:18 PM
I just ordered yarn for this project. I am hoping I am not being way to ambitious here....Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow. ( I am generally not very patient when it comes to packages...especially packages that contain my yarn!)

jhelanee
07-07-2006, 12:16 PM
We would love to have you join us Hilde!

I am the same way when waiting for packages, Vicki. Unfortunately I am usually to cheap to pay for faster shipping, so I am slowly learning patience. :rollseyes:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-07-2006, 02:33 PM
Ahh, well, I decided I liked the pattern for the sweet mary jane (http://www.knitpicks.com/Projects/Projects_Display_Yarn.aspx?itemid=50419220&yarnid=5420127) Cardigan better... I could see me wearing this one, but not the adamas so much. (I could have knit the adamas for someone else, but I'm in a selfish stage right now).

ranasplendifera
07-11-2006, 05:12 PM
Thank you all for your comments. This is my first KAL.
I have been working according to the pattern as best I can and so far it looks nothing like the picture. Following the pattern row numbers starting with row 1, my shawl is growing from the point and the yarn over "lattice" that divides the motifs are not parallel to the center divide as in the photo.

It makes sense to start at the top and work outward to the points. Then the edge chart makes sense and I am going to start over to see if I can accomplish this. Maybe someone has to actually show me how to get started. This is probably the most frustrating project in recent memory but I am determined and will keep checking in with you all.

Daveta

jhelanee
07-11-2006, 06:20 PM
It makes sense to start at the top and work outward to the points. Then the edge chart makes sense and I am going to start over to see if I can accomplish this. Maybe someone has to actually show me how to get started. This is probably the most frustrating project in recent memory but I am determined and will keep checking in with you all.

Daveta-

The pattern is written with this construction. There is a short section of instructions on the front of the pattern that sets things up, then you start with the top chart (working from row one up), followed by the body chart (repeating the red box section as necessary and the whole chart the specified number of times) and finally you work the edging chart and bind off all of the stitches. I found that I really couldn't see what was going on with the pattern until I was through the upper chart. At that point I could push the work to the center of my circular needle, curve the needle around and see the beginning of the pattern emerging. Are your needles circular or straight? If they are straight, try working to the center of a row, then putting your needles at an angle to each other such that the edges of your work form a straight line. You should be able to see the pattern then.

I am trying to borrow a digital camera from a friend to take pictures of a bunch of my knitting projects. If I get my hands on one I will take some pictures of my in-progress Adamas to show you what I am talking about.

Good luck and don't be shy about asking more questions if you have them!

ranasplendifera
07-11-2006, 11:26 PM
Thanks Jennifer, I was working on straight needles and that was a great suggestion. I think I finally understand, once the top-down ideas finally sunk in. You are very generous with your knowledge and help!
Daveta

jhelanee
07-12-2006, 12:25 PM
:blush: Thanks!

jhelanee
07-19-2006, 08:19 PM
I got a picture of my Adamas. As you can tell I haven't been working on it all that much. For reference, the center of the lower edge was the cast on, and the horizontal edge itself is formed by the "K2 YO" at the ends of the rows. (ETA: sorry about the flash)

NinaT
07-20-2006, 09:54 AM
Hi! Mine isn't too much further along because its had to take back seat to a Booga Bag for my best friend's B-day, my fair isle cardi for YOTS and now I've just remembered my two nieces have birthdays in August. I think I'll make them mini-clogs even though they live in So. Cal. and probably need wool slippers like they need a hole in their head! :rollseyes: I also just finished a queen sized double wedding ring quilt for my Mom who is getting married on August 26th. I hate all of these deadlines! :( I suppose they do make sure I actually get things done.

jhelanee
09-01-2006, 07:45 PM
So how is everyone doing? I am about to start my 9th repeat of the body chart. After 7 repeats I got fustrated with the stitches bunching up on my 24"needle, so I switched to a 29" one. Unfortunately I didn't like the tips on those needles (fairly blunt). So I splurged and ordered some KP Options to try. I just got them and will be test driving them tonight. :happydance: Sorry no progress pic, but it is hard to take postable photos without a digital camera. :(

volmel
10-01-2006, 12:43 PM
Jennifer,what do you think of the KP Options?

I've just started repeat 12! I'm beginning to see the light.

Mel

jhelanee
10-01-2006, 05:37 PM
Hi Mel!

I an enjoying the KP options. The tips are nice and sharp, and I like the smooth straight join. The stitches slip on the needles and cord quite well, although my stitch markers tend to get caught up. The Options have made knitting the lace quite enjoyable and I am glad I got them.

I'm currently halfway through my 13th repeat, so the end is truely in sight. I am still enjoying the knitting, but am ready to be finished so I can move on to something new.

Glad to know someone else is still working on this!

volmel
10-02-2006, 03:25 PM
Jennifer:

I'm working on the round 13 now. Have you held yours up to see how big it is? I'm making it for my daughter, who is 5'3 and thin, and I wondered if the full 14 would be too large for her. We will be adding the edging rounds, too. I can't tell how large mine is without putting it all on waste yarn. I just wondered how large yours looked, if you had spread it out.

Thanks!

jhelanee
10-02-2006, 04:16 PM
Have you held yours up to see how big it is? I'm making it for my daughter, who is 5'3 and thin, and I wondered if the full 14 would be too large for her. We will be adding the edging rounds, too. I can't tell how large mine is without putting it all on waste yarn. I just wondered how large yours looked, if you had spread it out.

I have the same difficulty with figuring out it's size. I put it on two circs a couple of repeats ago and at that point it looked small. But it wasn't stretched out hardly at all, and I think once I finish and block it I will like the size. Each repeat adds only about 1.5" to the length of the back and each side of the top edge, so I am not sure how much of a difference it would make to leave one out. :thinking: Some of it may depend on your daughter. If she likes things larger to really wrap around herself I would do the full pattern. If you think she would rather wear it as something decrotive around her neck, you might want to leave out the last repeat. Sorry that is not more helpful. :shrug:

~Jennifer

I'm one row away from starting the final repeat! :woohoo:

volmel
10-02-2006, 04:32 PM
I think I might quit with the 13 then and start on the edging. I'm making it for her to wear to the theatre things she has to go to, so she would want it a little more fitted. Plus, she is very little. I'll keep you posted!

volmel
10-03-2006, 01:29 PM
I'm ready to block. 13 rounds were plenty, especially with the edging. It's going to fit her just great!

jhelanee
10-03-2006, 02:07 PM
Wow! You finished that last bit quickly! :shock: It is taking me about 20 min a row at this point, so I only manage a few rows per day. Too bad I can't stay home from work to finish it. :verysad:

Can't wait to see how yours looks post-blocking... :happydance:

jhelanee
10-09-2006, 01:13 AM
I finished! :happydance:

I would have been done sooner, but discovered a problem quite a ways back that I had to figure out how to fix. I'll detail that saga later, but the punchline is everything worked out and I finished the edging and bound off this evening. Blocking will happen later this week and then I just have to get my hands on a camera so I can share it with everyone.

But for now I am just happy that I made it to the end! :cheering:

sheli
10-12-2006, 10:33 PM
Anybody out there? I'm struggling with Knit Picks' Adamas Shawl pattern - have reached row 9 of the body chart and realize there are a couple errors. 1) After the first stitch marker, the pattern has you working 8 stitches, when there are only 7 on the needle in that section (the slip 1, K2tog, PSSO seems to be wrong); and 2) in each section after the repeat sections, :verysad: the pattern has you working 17 stitches when there are 18 on the needle; additionally, it increases the stitches in that section to 21 instead of 20. Have contacted Knit Picks but any resolution is pending... How do I go on???

Please send help!

Sheli

jhelanee
10-13-2006, 01:08 AM
Anybody out there? I'm struggling with Knit Picks' Adamas Shawl pattern - have reached row 9 of the body chart and realize there are a couple errors. 1) After the first stitch marker, the pattern has you working 8 stitches, when there are only 7 on the needle in that section (the slip 1, K2tog, PSSO seems to be wrong); and 2) in each section after the repeat sections, :verysad: the pattern has you working 17 stitches when there are 18 on the needle; additionally, it increases the stitches in that section to 21 instead of 20. Have contacted Knit Picks but any resolution is pending... How do I go on???

Hi Sheli-

I just finished this project and found the charts to be correct. I think the confusion may be coming from the placement of the markers. The "slip 1, K2tog, PSSO" sequence actually uses two stitches from before the marker and one from after - thus the one "missing" stitch in the first section and the extra stitch in the last. The symbol on the chart represents the position of the finished stitch, not which stitches are to be used to work it. I found this row extremely fustrating to try and knit with the markers in, especially since they have to be rearranged in two rows anyway. What I started doing is taking out the pattern repeat markers (i.e. the red box only) on row 8, then replacing them in position for the next repeat on row nine. This meant I put a marker three stitches after the first, then every 12 until the last section of the half, which had 14. This placement worked out to be after the "slip 1, K2tog, PSSO" in the center of the repeat as previously defined.

I hope that clarified things and that you are able to get back on track. Good luck - and welcome to KH! :waving:

~Jennifer

Edited to add further clarification and fix a typo

sheli
10-13-2006, 02:40 PM
:muah: Jennifer, thanks a million. Now I get it and am back in business. I didn't expect to be moving stitch markers on the 9th row, but now understand to make the row work out you have to use a stitch from the next section (except for the middle). I never expected to get knitting help on-line, but am so happy that it worked out. So my from the east coast to you in the west, many thanks.

Sheli :cheering:

jhelanee
10-13-2006, 04:33 PM
Not a problem, glad you got it figured out. Happy knitting! xxx

jhelanee
11-10-2006, 03:00 PM
I finally got around to having a friend take a picture of my finished Adamas! It's not the best picture in the world, but you can get the general idea.

sheli
11-10-2006, 06:07 PM
The finished product is beautiful! I sure hope I can do justice to mine. I'm on my 7th repeat of the body chart so it doesn't seem that big yet. Anyway, the wearer of yours will be greatly complemented by your shawl. The color is lovely. Great job.

Sheli