PDA

View Full Version : Lacy Shrug baby

Pixywhispers
06-27-2006, 10:08 AM
In the July 2006 Creative Knitting Magazine I found this adorable shrug, but am a bit scared to do it by myself. There are a lot of directions I havent run into before.

Anyone else want to knit this little cutie?

Jackie F.
06-27-2006, 06:44 PM
I'm in!!! :cheering: :cheering:

jamadian75
06-27-2006, 07:07 PM
Love the patter.
Have the agazine.

Now if I have enough of a suitable yarn in my stash I'm in too!!

Pixywhispers
06-27-2006, 11:50 PM
Jamadia, I hope you can find some! It would be great to do this with you!

And Jackie! Hi! Eeeeee, this is my first real KAL, so if there are any rules LOL let me know.

Alrighty! Here are the specs for those who may want to stash or otherwise shop. The little diagram of the yarn says 2. Fine.

Size 12 months and (18 months

Chest 20 1/2 (23) inches

Materials Baby weight cotton blend yarn*(150 yds/1 1/2 oz per ball):2 (3) balls

Size 3 (3.25 mm) Straight and 2 double-pointed needles or size needed to obtain gauge (I thought this sounded funny.)

Size E/4/3.5mm crochet hook

Stitch Markers

Stitch Holders

*Sample project knitted withSenso Denim (60 percent cotton/40 percent acrylic microfiber) fom DMC

Gauge 40 sts and 36 rows = 4 inches/10cm in k1 p1

OMG I got some Classic Cotton for this project and I think its gona be too thick! AH, swatch time. Ok I'm off to find needles.

Candace

Jackie F.
06-28-2006, 12:16 AM
Since I'll be making the 18mo size (450 yd), I ordered KnitPicks Shine in Hydrangea. With shipping, about $12! Usually I get my orders from KnitPicks in 3-5 days. I don't think I have size 3 needles, so I'll be getting those when I buy the magazine.

This should be fun!! :happydance:

Pixywhispers
06-28-2006, 01:12 AM
Oh thats gona be pretty Jackie! I'm doing mine in Tahki Classic Cotton, Mauve.

Jackie F.
06-28-2006, 03:12 PM
OK, I got the magazine and needles today! :D Now I have to wait for the yarn...

jamadian75
06-28-2006, 05:26 PM
I'm doing mine in Tahki Classic Cotton, Mauve.

If you haven't used it before, I think you're really going to like this yarn. It has a natural sheen to it that I really liked for a jumper I made. Slides off the needles quickly too, but use something you know won't make it prone to splitting (typical cotton) - maybe Addi's or other metal?

Love to see a picture of your yarn colors ladies!
I still haven't decided :rollseyes:

Pixywhispers
06-28-2006, 09:56 PM
I'm so excited! Eeeee!

Cool Jackie! This is so cool!

J, What yarn did you find? What are your choices? Yes I am so in love with this yarn. My camera is on vacation with Dh and the kids! So I'll have to post a picture of it when he gets back. Isnt that sweet of him? He took them camping and I get to straighten out and sew and knit to my hearts content! Woohoo!

I just finished a baby sun hat with the Classic Cotton, Oh I :heart: it! And yes! LOL I will use my addis'Gotta love them, I only have three addis and thank goodness one is a size three!

My dh is coming back tommorrow with the wrecking crew so I'm gona go do a little more last minute dejunking!

Jackie F.
07-06-2006, 04:58 PM
Thought I should give an update:

Well, I'm still waiting on my yarn to arrive. There's been a glitch in the delivery. :rollseyes: When my husband submitted our change of address form online 2 weeks ago to the USPS, our mail delivery stopped immediately rather than on the date he gave. For several days we didn't receive our mail and had to contact our local post office to resolve this problem. Since I ordered my yarn while not receiving mail, my yarn got lost. KnitPicks has been really nice about handling this situation. If my yarn is not at my new address, they will send another shipment! :cheering:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-06-2006, 09:28 PM
WOW hooray for Knitpicks!!!!

jamadian75
07-07-2006, 12:41 AM
Great to hear that they're going to resolve it either way.
Waiting for yarn must be one of life's greatest tests of patience.

There is a complete yarn embargo in force at my house, so I'll definitely have to knit this from my stash, which means I'll likely have to do this in cotton or acrylic - not too crazy about either option, but this is too cute to pass up.

When I'm back home I'll let you know what I've picked.

Pixywhispers
07-07-2006, 05:36 PM
Sorry you are having to wait for that yarn Jackie. Bummer.

Knit Picks is so cool though. I really like them.

And oh yeah, "yarn embargo" HA! I just looked at my budget! yikes! I have got to knit through these projects I've got stacked up. I've been barely lookin at whatcha knittin as I cannot be tempted to buy another book or yarn anytime soon. I told dh (not that he asked) that I wouldnt buy any yarn till September. I must have spent right under 200 hundred for my birthday. That should keep me busy for at least till September (ha!) But it is also making me appreciate it all a little more.

Anyway here is the last pic of my "arm".

jamadian75
07-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Oh that yarn looks PERFECT for the stitch pattern! :cheering:

Pixywhispers
07-07-2006, 05:44 PM
hehehe I am loving it. Once I got past the first three inches, its been like crack. I cant put the thing down! I am loving it!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-07-2006, 09:43 PM
:roflhard:

Jackie F.
07-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Oh my! :rofling: It looks like a fun lace pattern - can't wait to start!

The movers arrived this morning to unload our belongings into our house. So, we'll be busy with unpacking today. I'm going to check the mail later and see if my yarn is there. If not, I'll call KnitPicks again and tell them.

Pixywhispers
07-11-2006, 06:26 PM
I'm knitting Julia a little washcloth to take to camp. And the baby has decided that she wants to be held a whole lot. And considering she is the last one, well, Im holding her a lot these days. So not alot of knitting going on. The pattern is fun and so far I am getting it.

Glad to hear the moving is going well Jackie.

jamadian75
07-21-2006, 10:46 PM
Hi ladies!!

Just checking in! I still have not found a suitable yarn in my stash. The only thing close I have is black Sirdar DK yarn, but black on a baby shrug?? I dunno. What do you guys think?

Jackie F.
07-24-2006, 03:35 PM
It's a good thing this shrug can also be worn in the fall because that's about the time I will receive my yarn!

Just kidding... :rofling: although it has been 27 days since I placed my order. The latest update? The second order was sent on July 17th and unfortunately was incorrectly sent to my old NC address even though I updated my address over the phone. It's in Charlotte right now. Hopefully, since we've been receiving forwarded mail for several days now, my yarn order will also be forwarded back to Ohio. I don't live too far from Grove City from which the yarn orders get sent. So, if I don't get this order, maybe I can pick up my yarn in person!

I have been knitting despite how busy I've been with the move and seeing relatives. I finished the sleeves and the bottom of my Sunset Pullover, and I made a little progress on Calla. When I get a chance, I'll have to update my blog... ;)

Pixywhispers
07-24-2006, 04:00 PM
Hey Ladies,

Hmm, not sure I would knit a baby a black sweater, unless maybe the baby was going to a very formal event. ? But I am no fashionexpert. I would say no. :) (When do you get to buy yarn again?)

Jackie, LOL. Oh man! If that yarn could talk! Oh that sounds like a great thread over at the main board. LOL I also made the 18 month size so Gmight have a chance to wear it.

Well I have run into a snag on the pattern. I'm going to ask once I get some time (and patience). Typing it up without interruptions these days is near impossible.

Pixywhispers
07-25-2006, 06:54 PM
Jackie, I cant wait for you to get your yarn. I am confused on what to do, I'm not sure if I have been decreasing correctly or not. It says to ssk 19 times on the RS. But when it gives direction to start decreasing on the neck the directions arent meshing. I'm just not understanding it well.

I'll start the other arm and see what you think about those directions when you get to them. :)

Jackie F.
07-26-2006, 02:44 PM
I'll have to take a look at the pattern while I'm waiting on my THIRD-attempt order of yarn :rofling:. My MIL is coming over for dinner this evening, so I might not get to it until later tonight or tomorrow. When I first got the magazine, I noticed that this pattern had some tricky little instructions. But, with more than one person working on this, we'll figure it out. :D

Jackie F.
07-28-2006, 06:46 PM
I finally received my yarn. *Thud* :shock:
YAY!!!! :cheering: :cheering:

Pixywhispers
07-28-2006, 11:17 PM
Yeehaw!

Jackie F.
07-29-2006, 01:23 PM
OK, here's what I've figured out with the pattern. If you follow the instructions on shaping the front neckline, you'll end 2 rows too soon on the lower front edge while shaping the neckline. What I'm going to do is change the row count from 32 (for the 18 mo size) to 30. After threading scrap yarn through the center 7 rib sts on the body, there are a total of 48 rows to be worked: 8 rows prior to the lower front shaping, 22 rows for the lower front shaping (before beg the neckline shaping; you still will dec at the lower front edge while doing the neckline shaping), and 18 rows for the front neckline shaping. Here's how I wrote it out for the Right Side:

Right Side Lower Front:
Row 1: BO 2 sts at beg of row. Work even at other edge for back.
Rows 2-22 (even only): work even.
Rows 3-21 (odd only): ssk at beg of row. Work even at other edge for back.

Right Side Front Neckline:
Row 23: ssk at beg of row, work across to center marker and turn. Put rem back sts on holder.
Rows 24-40 (even only): BO 2 sts at beg of row.
Rows 25-39 (odd only): ssk at beg of row. Work even at other edge.
After Row 40, put rem 4 sts on holder.

In addition to the change in the row count on the front neckline shaping, I changed one small thing: I want to CO the same number of sts on the fron and back for both sides so that each side mirrors the other. So, I plan on following the directions exactly for the right side body: CO 13 at beg of RS row for lower front edge, then CO 14 sts at beg of next row for the back. The 43rd st is the 4th rib st of the center 7 rib sts that are marked. For the left side body, I made the following change: CO 14 sts at beg of WS row for the back, then CO 13 sts at the beg of next row for the lower front edge. The 43rd st is the 3rd rib st of the center 7 rib sts that are marked.

It took me some time before I figured out the diagram! It can't be to scale since the back length and the lower front edge length should be nearly equal. I think the 3-needle BO going vertically up the center of the back is interesting. The only back seam I've ever done was for Katja (Knitty pattern).

Pixywhispers
07-29-2006, 02:51 PM
I'm so glad to have a mathmatician doing this shrug with me! Thank you Jackie! I knew it was screwy and yes the diagram is not to scale. I'm reading over your directions and will see how it comes out.

Thanks Jackie. Is it going to fit M? Have you already held it up to her?

Jackie F.
07-30-2006, 03:32 PM
So far, I've completed the right sleeve. The length looks like it will fit Marie. I like the ribbing on the sleeves - it looks skinny until you stretch it a little. It'll be interesting now to see how the body fits on her.

One more thing I did differently: When I cast on 13 sts at the beg of the row for the right front, I did not work those stitches immediately. Instead, I continued on and first worked them on the back side. I wanted the cast on sts at each edge to be worked on the same row.

Pixywhispers
07-31-2006, 09:06 AM
Marce, Don't be too mad at me. But I've been thinking about it, and I bet it would look great in black. Especially if it had a matching hat.

jamadian75
07-31-2006, 09:24 AM
Ladies,

I haven't abandoned you!!! I finally identified some yarn in my stash that I may be able to use, especially if I skip the (soooo cute) shoes.

I'll keep you posted, and I'm still stopping in here every day to see what you've learned so far.

Keep at it! :cheering:

Jackie F.
08-01-2006, 11:23 PM
Here is a progress picture of my lacy baby shrug. I still have to knit the 18 rows of the back to complete the right side. I started the left side yesterday. As for following the pattern, I did wait until 32 rows (rather than 30) before beginning the series of neckline BOs.

jamadian75
08-02-2006, 08:47 AM
JackieF you are such a prolific knitter!! That looks wonderful! :inlove:

You'll be done in no time ;)

Pixywhispers
08-02-2006, 09:47 AM
Oh Jackie that is beautiful.

I have got to get going on it!

maxsmom
08-04-2006, 07:57 PM
I am so glad to find this page. I am doing this lacy baby shrug and I am at the point where the pattern isn't working. I am doing the smaller pattern and have completed the right side - shape lower front - where I SSK 16 times on lower edge - I only did it on the RIGHT side rows.

I got to the next section SHAPE FRONT NECKLINE and the if I count from the row marker, I have gone 41 rows past it. I have done something wrong - there are too many rows.

Did I make a mistake and should i have SSK every time I encountered the lower edge - so on both right and wrong sides?

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks

Jackie F.
08-05-2006, 02:42 AM
When you've gone 26 rows past the row marker, you'll be ssk-ing and BO 2 at the same time (ssk-ing at beginning of each RS row, and BO 2 at the beginning of each WS rows). It should work out like this:

After working the 78 sts of the body for 8 rows, you'll begin the lower front. BO 2 sts at beginning of RS and work the next row even following the pattern. Now you have 10 rows past the row counter. You need 16 more rows to equal 26 rows, which translates to doing 8 ssk's on every RS row while working the WS even.

Now you'll begin shaping the neckline while finishing the remaining 8 ssk's. Work across to center marker on RS (making sure to ssk at the beginning of the row). Turn and begin the BO 2 sequence. Shaping both ends will work out perfectly for the smaller size because it takes 16 rows to finish both the 8 ssk's and the 8 BO 2 sts.

Here are the stitch counts as they decrease:
Lower Front: 39 (starting count), 37 (BO 2), 29 (after 8 ssk's on each RS row);
Neckline: 28 (ssk), 26 (BO 2), 25 (ssk), 23 (BO 2), 22 (ssk), 20 (BO 2), 19 (ssk), 17 (BO 2), 16 (ssk), 14 (BO 2), 13 (ssk), 11 (BO 2), 10 (ssk), 8 (BO 2), 7 (ssk), 5 (BO 2). Then decrease 1 st at the beg of the next row (RS row). 4 sts remain.

Pixywhispers
08-18-2006, 08:41 PM
Jackie,

You are such a sweetie for posting all those details. Thank you!

I've been planning school stuff and not much knitting has been happening here.

When I sat down last night with Lacy baby Shrug I finally got to knit on the back of arm number one and realized the yarn that I had attached was somehow cut off from the shrug, no biggie (probably my three year old) anyway. I get on with life knit ONE row and my dhs cell phone rings and wakes up the baby.

Its a good thing I made it in a size 18 months.

Marce, You still with us?

Jackie F.
08-20-2006, 12:43 AM
Oopsie! When I read "baby weight" yarn, I thought sport weight and got Shine Sport. Well... I'm now picking up stitches for the ruffle. But before I began, I tried the shrug on Marie. :rofl: , it's way too big! The sleeves aren't too bad, but across the chest is too wide to ignore. :rofl: This is what happens when one assumes that the pattern gauge is a misprint. The pattern says 10 spi, which I thought was way off for "baby weight" yarn. For that matter, it's below fingering weight yarn. 10 spi would be lace weight, right? I shrugged it off and thought, "It's a baby item: the designer probably meant sport weight or fingering weight. Anyway, if it's a little big, she'll grow into it." :rofl: That would be a long wait! So, I guess this particular knitted item will go to a lucky niece or friend's daughter. :thumbsup:

When I did the slip stitches around the front, I think I put them too close together and made them a little tight. I'm having to use the crochet hook I used for the slip sts to aid in picking up the sts that go on my circular needle! So, a word of caution ladies: don't space your slip sts too closely together and keep them loose enough to ensure that your knitting needle can get under the two strands each slip stitch creates. 'Sounds like common sense, but I'm not an experienced crocheter and lacked the foresight. :teehee:

Pixywhispers
09-02-2006, 11:29 AM
ooops

Pixywhispers
09-02-2006, 11:30 AM
I am climbing back on, Ive got a nice bit of time kid free today to rewrite this pattern using all your notes Jackie. :) Yeah!