PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic -Bra question

Hsiaokuo62
07-21-2006, 06:33 PM
What brand/style bra do you find to be most comfortable? I'm tired of shelling out big bucks for bras that bind. I know its off topic but it *supports* our knitted sweaters!! :rollseyes:

Emeraldcutie
07-21-2006, 06:36 PM
I found a new cross my heart bra, thats soft cupped, but very nice support. It is all 100% cotton with double layer fabric (no more peek throughs on cold days..lol) Iam an ample build girl so support is important to me.

Hsiaokuo62
07-21-2006, 06:38 PM
OK so I see that won't work as a poll! :oops:

Celine
07-21-2006, 06:40 PM
I'm happy with mine..it has lots of stretch, stretch, stretch!! Very comfy. :D I'ts made by Bali.

knotmaker
07-21-2006, 06:46 PM
mine are underwire by cheokee (bought at target) ... i like them comfortable and good support ... sometimes I feel like :wall: when it comes to bra buying ...

knitncook
07-21-2006, 06:54 PM
I wear a "regular" bra that has soft cups no underwires and a side "stabilizer" (soft boning). I own 5. 2 are ratty and old and I wear them only when I know I am going to be at the house. The other 3 are new, never have seen the inside of a dryer and still "hold up." The color? Blush. Why blush? Because you can't see a blush colored shirt through a white blouse as well as a white bra. (I learned this from Oprah!) Because no one has perfectly white skin, the color difference between our skin (except for those with the darkest darkest skins) is less between with a blush bra than compared to a white bra. Thus when you put on a white shirt over a white bra you can see the difference between bra and skin.

Oh and if you have never used a professional fitter before DO SO! Seriously, the difference in how well a bra fits and how it feels is truly interdependent! And find a PROFESSIONAL bra fitter, not just someone who has a "bra fitter certificate." Sometimes nicer lingerie stores have a professional fitter that comes in once or twice a year. They will find *the* bra that fits you best and is most comfortable for you. A 34C isn't always a 34C. HOw I wish there was a standard in bra sizes!

ecuzzacrea
07-21-2006, 07:20 PM
Victoria's Secret - Secret Embrace. It's their newest bra.
Victoria's Secret (http://www2.victoriassecret.com/commerce/application/prodDisplay/?namespace=productDisplay&origin=onlineProductDisplay.jsp&event=display&prnbr=XB-194398&page=1&cgname=OSBRPEMBZZZ&rfnbr=3076)

It's the best bra I've ever worn and I've tried them all.

I would recommend being refitted too. I was always a 36D and now I'm a 34D in those bras all of a sudden.[/url]

Celine
07-21-2006, 07:23 PM
Isn't it amazing that they are SO many different bras in the stores. I mean hundreds and yet we are luck if you find two that are really comforable. :rollseyes:

Jan in CA
07-21-2006, 07:35 PM
Ugh. I hate bra shopping. In fact I hate bras in general. I can't wait till it gets dark out and I can put on my nighty! :lol: So I don't have an answer, but I'm looking, too.

jhelanee
07-21-2006, 07:53 PM
I have recently found Victoria's Secret "Body by Victoria Unlined full coverage bra" to be a good fit for me. Fairly comfy (for a bra :rollseyes: ), nothing poking/pinching and it comes in my size (34DD) for a reasonable amount of money ($36, on sale for $27-28 several times a year online). I second the suggestion of having a professional fitter help you out, and try on lots of style. Even if they claim they are the same size, each style fits slightly differently which may be enough to go from way to tight/loose to just right. Good luck searching!

orcoastknitter
07-21-2006, 07:54 PM
Since I am a plus size, the only bras that actually fit correct are from these (http://lanebryant.charmingshoppes.com/Shopping/product.aspx?product_id=LBPR0005&nav/) from Lane Bryant. I always hand wash and hang dry.

jhelanee
07-21-2006, 07:57 PM
hand wash and hang dry.

This and not wearing a given bra on consecutive days are suppose to increase the life of bras that use the newer fabrics.

cecile77
07-21-2006, 08:48 PM
One of my favorite brands is Wacoal. They have D and DD cup sizes that fit great and are pretty, too.

Hsiaokuo62
07-21-2006, 08:48 PM
Well that about hand-washing was news to me, but makes sense. I never put bras in the drier anyway, but Victoria's Secret says to dry them by laying them flat on a towel! Hmmm I guess they won't stretch that way.

Looks like 2 recommendations come from there - we have one at our little tiny mall here so will probably go tomorrow.

Thanks ladies, I will also ask for a fitting, not sure it I'll get a qualified fitter though.

:thumbsup: Laura

Mumsy doodles
07-22-2006, 02:42 AM
There is a Bali/Hanes outlet in the next town, so I usually go there. I prefer unpadded (don't need any help there) underwire bras. Preferably smooth. I also wear a 34 DD, but have changed a lot over the years. My grandma took me to be fitted when I was in high school. It was embarassing as a teen, but beneficial. I think it probably saved me a lot of backaches. (I was a DD then, too :shock: unfortunately for me in co-ed PE!!!)

Jennifer

callmesusan
07-22-2006, 03:33 AM
Wacoal! They cost a fortune but worth every penny.

Since gaining some weight, my boobies are huge (DD). I decided that if Wacoal worked for Oprah, it might work for me!! :roflhard:

It's the best I have found so far.

aylaanne
07-22-2006, 05:29 AM
I wear a 32 FF, so all the bras I buy have to be imported from England. I've found some good deals on eBay, but for the most part I just go with what I have. I find that in order to be comfortable, I have to have nearly complete cup coverage, and in order to have enough support, I have to fasten the band really tight.

I'm getting a reduction for my 37th birthday, in 11 years.

HTH!

07-22-2006, 11:33 AM
Bras, ugh. I am not a big girl by any means (boob wise I should say) But when I went on the pill 6 months ago they decided to get bigger. I went from a 34C to a 34D. Well for the life of me I must have spent hundreds of dollars trying to find the right bra. They always seem to fit in the dressing room, but once I get home and actually wear it for a day it gets all big and droopy on me. Arg!!

Then I was at kohls one day and thought I'd try those 18-hour bras. I didn't think it would work since I wasn't very big, but thought what do I have to lose? Plus they were on sale. Well it worked! No more ride up. I had tried going down to a 32D and that was quite restrictive. :shock: Nothing I could find would just stay put and support me. Then when I tried it on, my boobs actually lifted to the appropriate level!! :roflhard: I said to my hubby, are my boobs higher than normal?? He's like, yeah, they are. :rofling:

But it was wonderful, well now that I'm on a new pill my boobs are shrinking again!! I just can't win. And they don't go down to a B. Plus I'm lopsided in that region. So one side fits perfect the other is a little looser. :rollseyes:

I hate bras.

Oh, and yes I did have a fitting at Nordstroms.

gimmesanity
07-22-2006, 12:22 PM
Vicky's IPEX bras.
I :heart: them.

feministmama
07-22-2006, 01:48 PM

Oh my! I wanna know what you said :oops:

Jan in CA
07-22-2006, 02:04 PM

Oh my! I wanna know what you said :oops:

:?? The poll is still there it just doesn't work because you can't respond IN the poll.

Kirochka
07-22-2006, 05:29 PM
This is one of my big discoveries this year - my bra size (I'm 43 - you'd think I'd have known it already)! I've already gone on at length about this in other threads, but in May I went to the Town Shop (http://townshop.com/) in NYC and got fitted properly - I'd gone in thinking I was definitely-no-underwire 38AA and came out a definitely-underwire 34A (which incidentally was what I was measured as at a Victoria's Secret in Chattanooga a few years before, and I had thought the woman was insane, so I hereby apologize to her!). The fitters at the Town Shop don't even measure you: they just look at you and then go bring you the bras to try on. I still find this amazing. And every woman I know of who's gone there (I know of four besides me) has come out in a totally different size than when she went in.

Anyway, since then I've gotten a whole new bra wardrobe. My favorite right now seems to be the Victoria's Secret Pink line (I also have a couple of their IPEX bras and like them fine too). And they're all getting hand washed and drip-dried. :thumbsup:

Eloewien
07-22-2006, 08:59 PM
I'm a 34D, and either the Victoria's Secret Ipex (which I have to order online- local store is too small, doesn't stock 34D) or Bali Double Suppport Lightly Lined. The Bali's don't have an underwire, but still stay in place. They are wonderfully comfortable, even after 12-14 hours. I had the same problem someone else mentioned-- I was a 34B until I went on depo shots for 2 years, came out of that a D. It's rather annoying!

jamiejeans
07-22-2006, 09:45 PM
My big girl (38DDD!) vote is for Playtex 18 hour wire free bras. I have been loving those lately. I also like Cacique brand (Lane Bryant) but don't find them as supportive, but they are great for lounging around.

I highly recommend that all of the ladies here get properly fitted. I had been wearing the wrong size bra for years.... When I started wearing the right size I began to get the comment: "Jamie, did you you some weight?" That's always nice to hear, but it was just because the girls were in the right place!

jamiejeans
07-22-2006, 09:48 PM
I wear a 32 FF,

Ouch! My back is aching!!! I thought I had it bad.... :(

aylaanne
07-22-2006, 10:16 PM
I wear a 32 FF,

Ouch! My back is aching!!! I thought I had it bad.... :(
Yeah, it's less than fun. I was wearing a 36DD for a long time, until I went to a coture bra store and got re-measured. If your bra rides up in the back, you need a smaller band size. If you suffer from quadra-boob, like I did, where the cups of your bra dig into your breasts and give them a divided look, then you need a larger cup size.

My back pain now is NOTHING compared to what it was then. I still have permanent knots in my back and I need a massage every day (god bless my DH for being willing to perform that service), but it's much less than I was going through, and I finally look good in my clothes. My measurements are 39-28-42, and that makes me almost a barbie doll, but before I got my boobs into the right place I looked a lot heavier than I am. Now, at least I look proportional, which gives me the illusion of being thinner.

The funny thing was when I went back to Vicky's the first time after getting the new bra. They don't make my size, probably never will, but some salesgirl tried to convince me that I was a 36DD. I was like, "um, no, I just want panties thanks."

jamiejeans
07-22-2006, 10:29 PM
Aylaanne,

I would suggest waiting for the reduction until after you have children (if you plan to) and want to breastfeed. No matter what the surgeons tell you, women with reductions almost always have issues with breastfeeding because ducts, etc get severed during the surgery. It's not a supply issue, but a flow issue.

(i'm an OB nurse so have seen this!)

aylaanne
07-22-2006, 11:46 PM
Aylaanne,

I would suggest waiting for the reduction until after you have children (if you plan to) and want to breastfeed. No matter what the surgeons tell you, women with reductions almost always have issues with breastfeeding because ducts, etc get severed during the surgery. It's not a supply issue, but a flow issue.

(i'm an OB nurse so have seen this!)
I'm already there. I've decided to be sterilized when I turn 35 just because of the risk involved in being pregnant after that, and besides, there are enough children already out there that need a loving family that my husband and I have already decided to open our home to them in ten years or so, when we're a little more financially stable. Until then, we're going to try for biological children in a year or two, but successful or not, we're still planning on fostering/adopting later on.

I had already decided, though, to wait on the reduction until the kids were done with, because I'm determined to breastfeed (I've seen the benefits firsthand). I'm very crunchy when it comes to kids: cloth diapers, breastmilk, and homemade baby food.

I was considering seeing a surgeon for a consultation on a liposuction or something. but since I doubt I'd trust him to keep the scalpel away from my nipple, I'll live with a bad back for another ten years or so. :thumbsup:

ladyindica2000
07-23-2006, 12:39 AM
I have a larger rib cage than most people and I could never seem to find a bra that felt nice, fit my boobs, and also didn't sit right on my rib bones.

I finally broke down and ordered a Body bra by Victoria Secret and I will never buy another brand of bra again. I love all of the bras that I have bought by VS. I have 5 or 6 of the Body and 2 of the Demi racerback ones and I love them both. I can wear them for a whole day and still feel comfortable in them. I also wear them while I run.

I would totally recommend them. A little more pricey, but worth it. And, I have been wearing the tan and white ones that I have almost non-stop for the last year and they are showing no signs of wear. I just throw them in the washing machine and sit them on the dryer to dry with the cups moulded properly so they hold their shape.

hope that helps!!

Trish.

quriouskey
07-23-2006, 01:31 AM
I have a larger rib cage than most people and I could never seem to find a bra that felt nice, fit my boobs, and also didn't sit right on my rib bones.

Trish.

I've got the opposite problem, so my boobs tend to be a bit "round the sides" instead of just in front. This is where I found the professional fitter helpful - she not only pointed out this issue, but was able to suggest the best bra for it. I'd known the size I needed, but most bras aren't quite the right shape. It's not a pretty bra (it's a nursing bra - I'll have to go back to that fitter when I wean DD) but it is comfortable.

Jan in CA
07-23-2006, 01:48 AM
I guess I need to get a fitting. I always have bra issues. As far as I know I'm a 36D. I lost 45 lbs and I still am a D although I went from 40-36. I don't know how you large busted girls can stand it. My back hurts and I have dips in my shoulders even with this size. I've considered reduction, but I'm afraid they'd laugh at me...and I know my insurance wouldn't cover it. :rollseyes:

jamiejeans
07-23-2006, 09:13 AM
I guess I need to get a fitting. I always have bra issues. As far as I know I'm a 36D. I lost 45 lbs and I still am a D although I went from 40-36. I don't know how you large busted girls can stand it. My back hurts and I have dips in my shoulders even with this size. I've considered reduction, but I'm afraid they'd laugh at me...and I know my insurance wouldn't cover it. :rollseyes:

You'd be surprised. If you went and did all of the other conventional therepies out there (PT, thereputic massage, accupuncture, etc) and you had a good surgeon who would fight insurance companies, you might get it covered.

jodstr2
07-24-2006, 03:40 PM
I just went bra shopping last weekend. I hate bra shopping. I wear a weird size (between a 36 or 38B, sometimes a 36 or 38C).
this is what I got:
Wacoal iBra. pricey ($50), but completely seamless, really comfortable.
Calvin Klein Perfectly Fit t shirt bra. thin cups with good coverage
Natori White Label Tailored Classis Seamless Padded I had to look up the name online, I always just said "Natori t shirt bra"). this is my "old standby", been buying this one since '96.

ecuzzacrea
07-24-2006, 04:41 PM

i had a reduction in '99 and my insurance covered the entire thing. if you have dig marks in your shoulders and they're just too big for you frame they should cover it.

i remember my Dr. took my measurements and just fudged that i had dig marks because eventually i would have them.

it was honestly the best decision i've ever made in my life.

ecuzzacrea
07-24-2006, 04:43 PM

You'd be surprised. If you went and did all of the other conventional therepies out there (PT, thereputic massage, accupuncture, etc) and you had a good surgeon who would fight insurance companies, you might get it covered.

just wanted to add - i didn't have to do ANY of these things. i went to a really reputable surgeon who does 15/week and told her i wanted it done. she took my measurements, etc and faxed it to the insurance company. about an hour later they approved it and i scheduled the surgery.

Jan in CA
07-24-2006, 05:08 PM

i had a reduction in '99 and my insurance covered the entire thing. if you have dig marks in your shoulders and they're just too big for you frame they should cover it.

i remember my Dr. took my measurements and just fudged that i had dig marks because eventually i would have them.

it was honestly the best decision i've ever made in my life.

Part of my concern is that being "only" a D, they might not consider that a big problem. I guess it can't hurt to find out. Do I just go to a plastic surgeon? :??

KellyK
07-24-2006, 07:19 PM
I really like the Victoria's Secret Ipex Demi. My favorite thing about this bra is the stretchy, non-binding sides.

I have trouble because while the girls are small, I have the upper torso of a linebacker. Im all back and no bust. :rollseyes: If one tries to find a 42A, it may actually have the same sized cup as a 36C. SO ridiculous. SO, I have to find a middle ground... usually a 38B with a REALLY stretchy band, and then the demi-cups act more like full-coverage on me.

I bought them in EVERY color (2 of each neutral!) because it seems every time I finally find a bra that fits well with a band that doesnt roll and dig into my ribcage by the end of the day, they discontinue it when its time for me to buy more. :mad:

I do put them in the washer on cold, but then hang them to dry.

Hsiaokuo62
07-25-2006, 10:56 AM
Kelly, maybe that is what I need. I'm actually about a 36D but i wear a 38C because the band on my bra (no matter what kind I've tried so far) gives me indigestion. I haven't heard other people complain about this but I'm just very sensitive to pressure at the sternum.
Laura

knitaddict
07-25-2006, 11:02 AM
I don't have a particular style that I like, nor name brand. BUT I highly recommend going and getting professionally measured every few years. I'd been measured right after having ds as was a 36D. Lately I'd had a lot of aches in my breasts so I went again. Despite losing over 50 lbs since ds's birth, I was somehow a 36DD!! :shock: As soon as I bought bras in the new size (and I actually got a 38DD to avoid feeling constricted) the aches & pain went away.

kaytm
07-25-2006, 11:29 AM
The best luck i have had is with lane bryant bra's. they cost a pretty penny but last forever. now if i could have just gotten them to make nursing bra's when i need them. *sigh*

mulene
07-25-2006, 12:01 PM
Best luck I've had is with Freya bras from a German company I believe. Short of that Rigby & Peller are excellent

itscryttle
07-26-2006, 08:30 PM
hand wash and hang dry.

This and not wearing a given bra on consecutive days are suppose to increase the life of bras that use the newer fabrics.

Ditto and DITTO!

I have a few of the Bali bras and LOVE them. I get the ones that make you "look" smaller by an inch or 2. They have nice WIDE cups (a must for those of us blessed with more then a handful) and they never bind or pinch.

ChroniclesofYarnia
07-26-2006, 10:17 PM
Bra brands differ so much in which sizes they serve. Being large chested, I am Wacoal woman. There is a Target t-shirt like bra that i use also, for just around the house.

When I was smaller (a C when I am thin) I really like Nike sports bra's (the ones that separate the girls), and Tommy Hilfiger bras.

If the Wacoal are too expensive, wait for a sale at Dillard's. They have it pretty much quarterly, and I have never paid more than 12.00 for a Wacoal.

Ellen Edwards
07-27-2006, 01:52 AM
I suppose I'll have to break down, somehow find the nerve to let someone besides my dh see my boobies and get fitted. I'm so awfully "full" at the top--not BOOBwise but, KK--I'm your twin linebacker!! I have the shoulders and the back of one. I've never Had a comfortable bra, although when I was still in my early 30's, and hdn't put all this extra 50 lbs on, I wasn't so uncomfortable all the time. Ia am really embarassed about letting anyone see me (or my boobs!!) but maybe it won' be so bad--if I go to another STATE!!

I THINK I wear a 40 B--see I don't have the BOOAGE--they've gone south--I have the roundage!! :shock:

mulene
07-27-2006, 10:06 AM
Oh I dunno if you have this site there but theres a site here called Bravissimo http://www.bravissimo.com/bravissimo/ Not sure if they ship to the states but I have heard MANY good things about them!

Kirochka
07-27-2006, 11:21 AM
Mulene, I just sent that link to a friend who was measured (after thinking she was 40DD) as 36G or H! Thanks!

Virtuella
07-27-2006, 12:27 PM
:rofling: I need a bra with pocket in, for my prothese! I am so happy to have two boobies! The bra does not fit, perfectly, as before, but it keeps me symmetric! :D
AND the bras with pocket costs a heck of a lot too much!

boyforpele13
07-27-2006, 03:28 PM
forgive me for the boy intrusion in a bra post! ;)

I saw some mention of Lane Bryant bras and just wanted to say a couple things about that. Every woman I have ever known to wear them LOVES them and is officially converted. They have extended their sizing so that women of almost all sizes can wear them. I worked there part-time for a while and the Victoria Secret employees would come in to buy their bras from us, believe it or not. They come in a zillion different support and material options and bra fitting is free there and the employees go through a Cacique training and certification for it. Also, they almost always have a buy one, get one 1/2 off which helps with the cost a bit, as they are pricey, but well worth it from what I am told (last forever.) Their semi-annual is fabulous too.

ok, testosterone out. ;)

kitkat
08-03-2006, 09:26 AM
I hate bras and bra shopping!

I was a 34-B-C but since I have put on a few pounds, am (I think) a 36C. But alot of C cups are too small. I know I should be measured but I hate the thought of going to a D cup because I am hopeful I will lose weight!

Currently am wearing:

Playtex Secrets - one style I like with a light lining, one that I find scratchy and confining (ie probably too small)
Victoria's secret - I have two that make the girls look absolutely enormous, which I do NOT need. These are only worn in utter emergencies - ugh I feel like a cow in them.
Victorias secret - two "body" ones but they are dead and look all sqooshy - they need to be retired
Bali - double support - only things I don't like about those is they don't have any lining to speak of so the nips can show through at times
Bali - some other kind that I always like when I first buy but then they get all weird and sqooshy and your boobs look weird.

I am afraid to try Wacaol because I would probably love them. If I were to try them, though, I would be fitted. Way too much money to spend on an iffy fit.

mulene
08-04-2006, 10:10 AM
also check out http://www.bravissimo.com/bravissimo/info/3Step.aspx?language=en-GB

gives advice on what a bra should LOOK like and how to size without measuring. Work on it looking right =D