PDA

View Full Version : The Great Sock Odyssey (or, how not to fear da yarn)

betweenshades
07-23-2006, 12:13 PM
So, I've been teaching myself to knit. I really haven't had any problems that I haven't been able to overcome with research and this site, but there has been a learning curve.

Like the knit stitch. I swear on the soul of my cat that the book I had showed the knit stitch being done from the back, not the front. Well, THAT apparently is a twisted knit stitch. Combine that with the fact that I was doing purling wrong as well...

I'm able to laugh at myself, thankfully. ;)

So, being ignorant to this, I try to make socks. For someone who was doing everything wrong and who had never knit in the round, I am rather proud of these socks. Not to mention, I learned a LOT doing them. No matter that they looked like they were made by a drunk toddler. :lol:

So, with this info (and a copy of Stitch and Bitch- much better than my 1st knit guide), I made a 2nd pair of socks. Muuuuuuuuch more better! The gauge is right, it's not twisted and I actually did my ribbing well. And they fit AND were both the same size! :thumbsup:

Armed with my new confidence, I've actually started tackling more advanced projects. Like gloves written in a vauge, badly phrased pattern...:rollseyes:

But, I'm doing it. Very well, too.

So, my point is this. If you're afraid of something, make it anyway. It can't possibly look worse than my 1st pair of socks and you'll learn a lot from it. Mainly, how to laugh at yourself.

maybe I'll try lace next... :shock:

the blue sock is the 2nd attempt, if you're wondering. ;)

knitqueen
07-23-2006, 12:23 PM
They look great! Both pairs. :thumbsup:

I think that you should tackle lace next - in my opinion, lace is easier than socks or gloves. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!! :D

Jan in CA
07-23-2006, 12:33 PM
Nice socks! And your kitty is so cute!!!!

Jenelle
07-23-2006, 12:44 PM
Wow, I actually love the way the twisted stitch socks look!

Both pair are really beautiful. What yarns did you use?

callmesusan
07-23-2006, 01:12 PM
Congratulations! You taught yourself to knit :cheering:

Your cat is awesome, too.

betweenshades
07-23-2006, 04:07 PM
I want to do a twisty sock, but I'd like to plan it that way. =P

thanks, everyone! I appriciate the support. :)

Janelle- both yarns are just cheapie Red Heart acrylic- I love good yarn, but this was a learning project. I treated myself to some good Lion Brand wool for my current project, though. I'll post pics of that too!

rebecca
07-23-2006, 05:17 PM
THose are nice looking socks...WTG :thumbsup:

EssenceRose
07-23-2006, 05:50 PM
Very well done! The socks look great (and the cat looks great, too I might add). :thumbsup:

Angelia
07-23-2006, 10:46 PM
Beautiful socks!! Yay for you!!! :happydance: :happydance:

I love the coloring on your kittie's face! :inlove:

ebrperk
07-24-2006, 10:03 AM
The purple ones look really warm. Great for sleeping in when it gets really cold.