PDA

View Full Version : OK, admit it, who talks

gardenmommy
07-26-2006, 11:20 AM
to yourself while knitting, especially with the more complex patterns.

I'm sure people think I'm completely nuts while I'm sitting there during the kids' swimming lessons. I'm doing it quietly, but they can probably see my lips moving. :rofling:

knit two together....yarn over...slip one...knit two...yarn over...knit one....

brendajos
07-26-2006, 11:22 AM
lol i do, most especially when i am looking at a pattern and looking at the work on my needles and saying "you want me to what?!" :rollseyes:

07-26-2006, 11:23 AM
Doesn't everyone?? :thinking: :rofling:

brownishcoat
07-26-2006, 11:26 AM
Yes, I think out loud to help myself "get it straight". It doesn't really bother me when people notice.

Ingrid
07-26-2006, 11:26 AM
:waving: When I have a complicated repeat, I say it out loud, too. The more distractions around there are, the louder I speak!

SandraEllen
07-26-2006, 11:34 AM
i think i'm even worse because for a simple rib pattern, i'm saying knit, knit, purl, purl.
it's not like it's even difficult and i'm still mouthing the words. :)

IndianPrincessSIP
07-26-2006, 11:38 AM
So far ~ only when I'm counting stitches. :D

jhelanee
07-26-2006, 12:07 PM
:waving: Guilty as charged! Mostly just when counting stitches or working a complicated pattern, though.

knitaddict
07-26-2006, 12:08 PM
I only count out loud as well. My friends all laugh at me when I get to a complicated row because I tell them "I can't listen to you right now - I need to count" and then they hear me going "1, 2, 3, 4. 1, 2, 3, 4" under my breath. rofl

AnreeAce
07-26-2006, 12:12 PM
lol i do, most especially when i am looking at a pattern and looking at the work on my needles and saying "you want me to what?!" :rollseyes:

Oh good, I'm not the only one!

I talk to myself a lot, it drives DH crazy.

knotmaker
07-26-2006, 12:14 PM
;) You know I never thought about it til I just read this ... but I do to!!

orcoastknitter
07-26-2006, 12:52 PM
:waving: I talk out loud too! When I first started knitting and I couldn't remember how to bind off. So I read the instructions in SnB book. Well if have ever read the instructions in the SnB book to bind off they have named the two stitches Harry and Sally (if I remember correctly). I did the first two stitches and said out loud "Hello Harry and Sally, we are going to play a game of leap frog." My Mom was sitting with me at the time working on a word puzzle. I could see her from the corner of my eye, she had this strange look on her face. She just looked over at me and smiled. I know she was probably thinking that I completely lost it. But she has always found me a little strange anyways. :rollseyes:

1to1
07-26-2006, 12:53 PM
I do. Especially when someone is talking to me and I'm trying to concentrate and count stitches. I'm like 1-2-3-4-5.

jdee
07-26-2006, 01:05 PM
Yep! I do it all the time. Sometimes I even make up a little song. :rofling:

Andrea
07-26-2006, 01:24 PM
I do. Especially when someone is talking to me and I'm trying to concentrate and count stitches. I'm like 1-2-3-4-5.

Ditto!! :roflhard:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-26-2006, 01:24 PM
sing the song!!! sing the song! sing the song!!!!

skNYC
07-26-2006, 01:33 PM
No I don't. I must have missed all the fun. I knit on the train and bus and talking to oneself is not a very good idea.

Kirochka
07-26-2006, 01:36 PM
Only when I'm counting stitches. It's because I lose count very easily, no matter what I'm counting, so I keep thinking counting aloud will help. No idea why... :rollseyes:

Mrs.H
07-26-2006, 01:39 PM
Whew, I'm glad to know that I'm far from alone. I've just started a basket weave dishcloth and I've been counting outloud for 2 days now, to the point my husband has band this WIP from the bedroom! The way I've been counting almost sounds like a cadance, knit, 1 2 3 4 5, purl, 1 2 3 4 5, over and over again. Now the only WIP I can knit in bed is my shawl, no counting required. :D
Linda

brendajos
07-26-2006, 01:46 PM
No I don't. I must have missed all the fun. I knit on the train and bus and talking to oneself is not a very good idea.

bah! It's not like people aren't use to people talking to themselves on the train. They were some of my favorite people when i use to ride those trains! I would never get any knitting done for all the people watching!

feministmama
07-26-2006, 02:06 PM
Sure I do. It's just like a meditation. Don't people with rosaries do that too?

aylaanne
07-26-2006, 03:15 PM
Not only do I talk to myself, I talk to my knitting. Like, "No, you are not going to split, I want all of you in this stitch." or "stay over here!" or Now you go over here, now I go in here, now you come down and through." Yeah, stuff like that. People think I'm nuts. Maybe I am. ;)

skNYC
07-26-2006, 03:29 PM
bah! It's not like people aren't use to people talking to themselves on the train. They were some of my favorite people when i use to ride those trains! I would never get any knitting done for all the people watching!

I am so dissapointed that no one actually watches me knitting on the bus or train. If I started talking to myself, maybe they will watch. As a matter of fact, they might start to move away from me :thinking: , hm, maybe it's a good idea to do that on a crowded train ;)

Indygirl
07-26-2006, 03:59 PM
Funny you should be bringing this up at this time :rollseyes: I was working on a sweater in moss st squares last night. I had about 14 rows finished and noticed, I was off 6 rows down on about 7 of the squares. I decided to rip it all out and start over. Do you think I didn't talk to myself at that point :mad:

koolbreeze
07-26-2006, 04:22 PM
i do!!!! i do!!!!

and don't count out loud while hubby is sitting next to you caue mine stars throwning numbers around like its cute. messes me up everytime! :rollseyes:

DreamWeaver
07-26-2006, 04:41 PM
yup, I totally talk to myself. When doing ribbing ribbing I sould like a Native American. "Knit knit purl purl knit knit purl purl."

Celine
07-26-2006, 04:43 PM
I talk out loud to myself especially if its a lace pattern. I HAVE to or I will lose my place....again. :crying:

Angelia
07-26-2006, 04:53 PM
:waving: Me too! I sing-song pattern repeats, count aloud...I am particularly vocal if I'm working a series of cables: "stitches to front, knit and knit, stitches return and knit and knit." I also say more or talk louder when someone is talking to me. It took forever for DH to understand that the louder voice means "leave me alone until I finish this row!" Poor guy! :rofling:

Debbie
07-26-2006, 05:08 PM
I do to ... and something else I find myself doing is counting when I am not even knitting (usually in my head but sometimes outloud) .... putting dishes in the dishwasher, unloading groceries ... my mind seems to automatly begin 1...2 ...3 ...3 ...5 ... I was even counting steps when I was walking from the parking lot to the store .. I know everyone wanted to know what I was laughing at.

Angelia
07-26-2006, 06:58 PM
Debbie, I do the same thing! For instance, I know exactly how many steps it takes to get from various parking spots in the lot to my office door... :blush:

Yet while knitting, I never know what row I'm on. :rofling:

Nikki
07-26-2006, 07:27 PM
Me too and I've learned to frown hard at anyone that dares talk to me until I'm at the end of a row.
Nikki

snowbear
07-26-2006, 07:28 PM
OK.. if you don't count out loud how the heck can one keep it straight? My boss know better than to interupt me while I'm knitting...(we can do whatever between calls) she says 'at the end of the row... see me.'..lol she is a knitter as well and therefore respects the need of the count!!! We have a great time at work... we will recount for each other, then the non knitters will help as well, especially long cast on's... Its a great envirnoment!

:XX:

itscryttle
07-26-2006, 08:22 PM
Oh I don't even have to be knitting to talk to myself :roflhard:

But yeah I totally talk to myself when working on a difficult project. Like I am going to get answers from the book or something I am looking at.

Indygirl
07-26-2006, 08:37 PM
And I thought it was just because I am getting old :roflhard:

BinkyKat
07-26-2006, 08:42 PM
Sure I do. It's just like a meditation. Don't people with rosaries do that too?

Yep, we Cat-licks do. This reminds me of how my SIL (Lutheran) thought we were a little "tetched" when doing a rosary at my dad's wake..."didn't they say this verse already?" :oops:

I have whole conversations with my knitting. And like Koolbreeze... my darling DH also throws numbers out to tick me off!!!! :rollseyes:

SnowBear: RESPECT THE COUNT!!!! :roflhard:
Where do you work? And are there any openings? :shifty:

snowbear
07-26-2006, 09:03 PM
feministmama - yep...lol but you have to be on the phone all day and talk to nice, to hateful and all inbetween credit card holders..lol But... we can read, knit, crochet, anything between calls... I'm doing my daughters afghan solely at work... I Can't believe the amount of work I get done.. 3/4 of an afghan square a day... (said afghan is now a blanket w/ 40 some odd 8" squares).

:XX:

BinkyKat
07-26-2006, 09:10 PM
Snow.. I work in a credit card center too, so I totally know whereof you speak! In my phone rep days we could do stuff between calls, then came the days when we had to process the evil mail requests for things they couldn't say on the phone but could write and mail in!!! :rollseyes:

EssenceRose
07-26-2006, 11:38 PM
Yep, I admit it. I talk to myself when I'm knitting. I sit there and chant to myself "knit knit purl purl" LOL My husband knows better than to try to talk to me when I'm knitting. He'll start to say something, see that I'm knitting, and say "Oh. I'll wait until you're done with that row" :roflhard:

SimplyKaar
07-27-2006, 07:30 AM
I do too! And I will say stuff like "oh no, you don't!" or "where did you come from??" aswell as plain counting :) Robin (my boyfriend) is used to this though because I tend to say things about/to things more often but it still makes him laugh every time he catches me do that.
He, btw, is also one of those jokers who sometimes starts saying random numbers to throw me off, and it usually works :rollseyes:

Funny thing is: because I almost only use patterns I find on here, or via someone on this site, they are usually in English. Now, when I'm retracking a certain rowpattern to make sure I did it correctly, I will do the actual counting in Dutch but the terms for "knit", "purl" "yarn forward" etc are all in English. I've gotten a few raised eyebrows on that from Robin aswell :rofling:

betweenshades
07-27-2006, 07:35 AM
I talk to my yarn, sewing and food that requires either flipping or being taken out of a pan.

It helps. I don't care what anyone says. :P

mulene
07-27-2006, 09:37 AM
I do not talk to myself.

Yes you do.

No I don't.

Yes you do.

NO I DO NOT!

Yes you do, you silly cow what do you think you are doing right now? Besides you've had some interesting conversations with yourself, remember the one about the mutant sheep?

umm I don't recall that conversation and I'm not sure I'd want you spreading it around even if I did! Wait.. what am I doing? I'm talking to myself /sigh

:waving: Hello Ladies.. as you can tell I don't ;)

Kirochka
07-27-2006, 09:48 AM
I'm doing a piece now where the right side is just knit and the wrong side is knit 4, yarn in front, slip 1, yarn behind, knit 4 etc... I count the wrong side and then it takes me about 10 stitches on the right side before I realize I don't have to count it... every single time! :rollseyes:

benniesma
07-27-2006, 04:01 PM
I talk to myself all the time! That's why I love having little kids. DH thinks its weird when I volunteer to take them grocery shopping. That way I don't look like a wack-a-doo walking down the aisles talking to myself.

projectgal
07-27-2006, 07:40 PM
Oh! I'm glad I'm not the only grocery store talker. My two year old will repeat everything I say which makes it nice because my memory has just been horrible lately. I just have to make sure I don't say things like tampons or lubricating gel aloud! :shock:

And as far as talking to yourself. My mom worked with a lady who ALWAYS was taling to herself. She said it was perfectly normal to speak to yourself, answer your own questions, and even argue with yourself. However, you might need to see a doctor if you say, "Would you repeat the question?"

aylaanne
07-27-2006, 07:56 PM
Oh! I'm glad I'm not the only grocery store talker. My two year old will repeat everything I say which makes it nice because my memory has just been horrible lately. I just have to make sure I don't say things like tampons or lubricating gel aloud! :shock:
My ringbearer had that repeating thing going on about six months ago. He actually liked putting whatever you said to the tune of "Someone's in the kitchen with Dinah" and would keep singing it over and over until he got distracted by something else. Well, one time I had him and his sisters in the car with one of my friends, and we were driving by a movie theater on our way to do someth9ing else. My friend suggested a movie, but all the movies out were PG or higher rating, and inappropriate. So I told my friend sarcastically, "sure, if I want to expose them to gratuitious sex!"

Chris, the little boy, immediately picked up on this and started singing "tuitous sex, tuitous sex, tuitous sex..." to the song! So I corrected him with the first thing that came to my mind.

"No, Chris, I said 'tube socks'!" Luckily for me, he picked up on the tube socks right away, and changed the lyrics to his song. :roflhard: :roflhard:

BinkyKat
07-27-2006, 08:32 PM
Hildie's husband yells at his food...
Wish I could link to the pic, I think it was on her old blog..
Too hilarious! :roflhard:

Braden
07-27-2006, 08:34 PM
I do, when I am counting stitches, :roflhard: It helps me concentrate better. So, you are not the only one. :thumbsup:

ContiKnitter

Ellen Edwards
07-27-2006, 08:39 PM
I absolutely do!! It drives my dh crazy, I think, for 1: I'm muttering, so he can't hear me, and 2: he's jealous of my knitting , I think, and wants me to pay attention the GUNSMOKE episode he is once again watching!! :shock:

melinphx
07-28-2006, 03:38 PM
Oh yes... I learned how to talk to inanimate objects from my mom and dad! You have to talk to things like spatulas ("get all the way under there, or you'll just break that pancake when we flip it!" and your knitting ("what was that? Now we have to tink back so we only have 3 knits before the knit 2 together, you bum!")

With my dad, I've found that things like lug nuts will only loosen after they've been thoroughly cursed at. For my mom, the vacuum cleaner had to be scolded before it would manuever correctly into those tight spots around furniture.

-Melanie

AidanM
07-28-2006, 03:48 PM
Oh yes... I learned how to talk to inanimate objects from my mom and dad! You have to talk to things like spatulas ("get all the way under there, or you'll just break that pancake when we flip it!" and your knitting ("what was that? Now we have to tink back so we only have 3 knits before the knit 2 together, you bum!")

With my dad, I've found that things like lug nuts will only loosen after they've been thoroughly cursed at. For my mom, the vacuum cleaner had to be scolded before it would manuever correctly into those tight spots around furniture.

-Melanie :rofling: :rofling:

carollovesyarn
07-28-2006, 07:00 PM
Too funny Melanie!

I talk out loud, but usually only at home. Let it serve as a warning to those nearby to not speak to me!

BinkyKat
07-28-2006, 08:25 PM
Melanie...you are so right!
Most of my technical equipment - printer, computer, radio, phone, whatnot - usually works better the more vulgar the words you apply to them :oops:

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I actually called a ball of yarn that I found a knot in halfway through the skein (from when it was balled by the mill I s'pose) a "dirty b@st@rd" last week. Made my girlfriend do a spit-take :blush:

ekgheiy
07-30-2006, 03:58 PM
to yourself while knitting, especially with the more complex patterns. Oh yeah - I do this all the time :) I talk to myself AND answer myself too! :thumbsup:

mks22300
07-30-2006, 06:27 PM
I don't talk out loud, but I do talk inside my head.

Treeling
07-30-2006, 10:02 PM
I do... I think it's expected, right? Isn't that why everyone who sees you knitting walks up and says

"Knit one, purl two!!" like they invented that joke? Surely that comes from some old Marx Bros gag or something to do with little old biddies reciting their knitting patterns aloud.

cgd
07-31-2006, 08:32 AM
I talk to myself and the project as well, mostly when counting stitches. Unfortunately, sometimes expletives come out of my mouth when I mess up! :devil:

cheesiesmom
07-31-2006, 02:23 PM
My husband has complained for 40 years that I'm always talking to myself. But at my age, it's my perogative and after all, who else do I ask when I need the right answer? :lol:

dplantlady
07-31-2006, 06:00 PM
Hey,

Ya just GOT to sometimes!

I discovered last week that I cannot work the Counterpane pattern when with the knitting group at the LYS. Just too much conversation goin on...and I gotta concentrate big time on that one.

And if someone starts talkin to me while I'm doin it, I do the same thing, start saying the numbers real loud so they'll get the message & I won't lose count!

You are NOT alone!

Diane :lol: