PDA

View Full Version : So... about this spinning lark...

mulene
07-27-2006, 09:42 AM
I'm going to learn to do it! I've found a person to teach me one on one how to spin and I've booked in for four hours of tuition on Saturday 5th August, in the south of England at a little place near folkestone.

The lady seems awfully nice and she has been spinning since 1971. Anyway I was wondering if any of you have some tips I should take with me - and should I wear an apron?

Mad About Wool
07-29-2006, 08:58 AM
Anyway I was wondering if any of you have some tips I should take with me - and should I wear an apron?

:rofling: Yes, it would not be a bad idea to take an apron!!! My advice is for you just to relax and not get frustrated if you do not "get it" right away. Spinning does involve coordinating hands/eyes (and feet, if you are using a wheel) and can take some practice to get used to. Most people have a problem with keeping a death grip on the fiber when it should be held lightly. Also, predrafting to allow the fibers to slide out easily is essential. Most of all, have fun!!

mulene
07-31-2006, 12:02 PM
:cheering: ok so I need to take an apron with me - I only thought of it since I remembered doing bombshell how much stuff shed on me from a pre made yarn!

Thank you for the advice! I'll keep it in mind. I'm so stupidly excited and it is only Monday. I can't WAIT for Saturday to get here and for me to arrive in Folkestone to try this out! I think this will be a lot of fun =D

Debbie
07-31-2006, 08:41 PM
I AM SO JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!

mulene
08-01-2006, 09:37 AM
I AM SO JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!

Do it too!!!!! Get an Ashford Joy it fits into a little back pack =D

Mad About Wool
08-01-2006, 05:00 PM
Have an exceedingly great time. You are going to :heart: spinning!

Debbie
08-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Did you go???? Was it fun???? Do you have a picture of what you spun...spinned ... yarn you made ?????

mulene
08-10-2006, 10:08 AM
I went - I have a couple of pics (I forgot to take lots!!!) and I loved it!!!!

I've ordered my wheel - and it was delivered yesterday to my office - I'll be picking it up tomorrow if I am well enough to go into work!