PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of not having any knitting shops around...

EssenceRose
07-28-2006, 07:48 PM
I was saying in another post that I was disappointed that there are very few knitting shops around my area. So with that, I decided to do some more research into why the heck not. I came up with one thing.

There is ONE -- it's located about 20 minutes from here and it's called KnitWorld. They even do mail order!! So now I have to go check out their store and see if they are any good. Here's hoping!! *crosses fingers*

Where is the nearest yarn store to you? How far would you go for a really great one??

DianaM
07-28-2006, 07:55 PM
There's one about.....20-30 min. from where I live now.

I've already searched the net trying to find out if there's any LYS in Rapid City, and it seems that there is one not too far from where I'll be living, so..... :happydance:

Ingrid
07-28-2006, 08:21 PM
I once went to Webs--2 hours away, but I also met some KHers at the same time. ;)

AidanM
07-28-2006, 09:28 PM
Lime and Violet (http://limenviolet.blogspot.com/) drove from Omaha to Des Moines for yarn shops - and proceeded to make a hilarious Podcast of it all, as usual. Their take on it is very interesting.

jamiejeans
07-28-2006, 11:02 PM
Mine is right down the street. I could even walk to it if I was ambitious, but being American I need to drive. ;)

There isn't many others in the area. I think the next closest is about 40 min away in MA, and then I would have to pay sales tax. So not worth the drive.

I find the closest is right here on the computer... www.yarnmarket.com

orcoastknitter
07-28-2006, 11:30 PM
My LYS in about 4 miles away from my house. Also, there are about 4 within about a 50 miles from my town.

Phretys
07-28-2006, 11:41 PM
There is a knitting shop less than 10 minutes away from where I live, but their customer service is so pitiful I haven't stepped through their doors in nearly a year. The next closest are three shops 40 minutes away. :( Thanks goodness for online shops.

Debi

jdee
07-29-2006, 12:06 AM
I'd have to go to the Woolie Ewe in Plano. It's about an hour and a half drive :(

Actually, I don't plan to buy any really expensive yarn until I get good enough to make sweaters. I mostly work with Lion Brand Wool-Ease, or Sugar and Cream cotton yarns. They're fine for what I need.

KellyK
07-29-2006, 01:56 AM
Im luckyy to have one 5 minutes away and several more in the Chicagoland area... Ive been to several because the Illinoisians meet up at different shops each time. :thumbsup:

Celine
07-29-2006, 05:14 AM
I have three LYS and they are about 20 minute ride from my house. One I have only been to once. The other two I go often when I am looking for that "special" yarn. :XX: :XX: Plus I've taken classes at one of them too.

JLC
07-29-2006, 06:24 AM
There is one about 15 minutes from my house, but it's also part of a fabric shop and they just started with the yarn not too long ago and don't have a fantastic selection yet, but I still stop in now and then. There's a decent one about 40 minutes away, but with their hours pretty much coinciding with my work hours, I don't get there very often. My absolute favorite is Halcyon (http://www.halcyonyarn.com/) which is about an hour and a half away, and I get there maybe a couple times a year.

itsbecca1979
07-29-2006, 06:35 AM
Mine is about 20-25 minutes away from me.

kemp
07-29-2006, 10:54 AM
Cincinnatians are lucky to have several LYS, but unfortunately none on my side of town! Nearest is about 40 mins.

Doesn't it seem like there should be a rule that there is at least 1 yarn shop within a 15 mile radius of every knitter? :roflhard:

Lieke
07-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Well, there is a LYS at 5 min. by bike, but it isn't a very good one, the hardly have anything and don't know a thing about knitting.

There is a yarn shop about 30 min by train and from the station it's also 10 min. walking. I live 15 min. from the station, so I usually go to that one. It's a rather large one and the women who runs it is really nice and helpfull.

I'm still looking for a good alternative, there is a yarn shop about 15 km away, but I haven't visited that one yet, so I don't know if it's a good one. That is still on my to do list ;)

feministmama
07-29-2006, 11:09 AM
I'm sooooooo lucky to live in Knitterland!! (Portland, Oregon) we have somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-20 stores throughout the city and surrounding areas. It really is luxurious. We also have the church of craft and all kinds of knitting and crafty organizations that have craft fairs a lot. THere is knitting nights at clubs too! Knitting (and crafting) is very hip here. Everyone who knits must make a pilgrimage at least once. THey even have a tour of all the shops run by the local knitting guild. You get on a bus and drive around to shops and get coupons adn yummy treats. And Leigh Radford lives here! and Kristin Spurklund and some other "famous" knitters whose names I can't think of right now. Anyway, it's knit heaven here.

rebecca
07-29-2006, 11:09 AM
My fave yarn shop, Red Needle (http://www.redneedleyarns.com/) is about 20 min. away and another, smaller shop, Wild Fibre (http://www.wildfibreyarns.com/) is about 30 minutes away...both are very nice...Red Needle is quite large and the owner, Mickey, is a sweetie and Wild Fibre is smaller, in the historic district downtown. I'm lucky to have such wonderful shops :thumbsup:

kschmitz
07-29-2006, 03:29 PM
Another lucky Portland, OR resident here! The closest shop to me is Close Knit in the NE, 2 miles from home. I really should ride my bike there. I :heart: PDX!

AidanM
07-29-2006, 05:00 PM
There are two shops that are about a mile from my university's campus. I can't wait until I get to school - I'm gonna have to take out another loan just to cover my yarn costs!!

Oh yeah, and I'm going to be living in Portland too. Portland State University, yeah!

EssenceRose
07-29-2006, 06:20 PM
That's it!! I don't wanna go home to Wisconsin! I wanna live in Portland!!!!

AidanM
07-29-2006, 06:31 PM
That's it!! I don't wanna go home to Wisconsin! I wanna live in Portland!!!!
Oregon has no sales tax either.. ;)

ChroniclesofYarnia
07-29-2006, 06:32 PM
Where is the nearest yarn store to you? How far would you go for a really great one??

I live about 2 minutes drive, ten minutes walk, from one. I don't like it, thanks to the crappy customer service from one of the owners, and will only go to it to see if there is something that I desire that I can't find from the other 5 in my area. Rarely do I buy something from this particular shop.

The other one I am closest to, a 12 minute drive in the city, I adore, and will pay more to buy things from there. Glad I am not the only one who will drive longer to not put up with crappy CS.

carollovesyarn
07-29-2006, 07:45 PM
Doesn't it seem like there should be a rule that there is at least 1 yarn shop within a 15 mile radius of every knitter? :roflhard:

YES! THERE SHOULD BE!!!! :rofling:

I do have one within 4 miles, but I rarely can afford to buy anything there because this is NAPA. I did score a few yummies at her first sale - she's been in business a little over a year now. I love the owner to pieces too, so lucky in that regard - she's very down to earth and nice, but doesn't hesitate to say what she thinks! She makes fun of me for perusing her books, because she knows I rarely buy them at full retail, but she always remembers my name, tells me to say hi to my mom and has the best advice on yarn and color.

I used to go to another shop that was 25 minutes away when I went to that town to get my hair cut, but she retired. So I guess within 30 minutes is my max.

kristinw
07-29-2006, 11:18 PM
Mine is right down the street. I could even walk to it if I was ambitious, but being American I need to drive. ;)

There isn't many others in the area. I think the next closest is about 40 min away in MA, and then I would have to pay sales tax. So not worth the drive.

I find the closest is right here on the computer... www.yarnmarket.com

Ditto to Jamie! Same shop even! It has a great name - Ewe'll Love It!