PDA

View Full Version : OT - Fans of Alton Brown

CateKnits
07-29-2006, 02:11 PM
I know I'm not the only one here with a geek crush on Alton Brown, so I thought I'd let you know...There's a Good Eats marathon on Food Network starting at 3:00 EST. It's the top ten episodes, whatever they mean by that. I've got the TiVo set! :cheering:

rebecca
07-29-2006, 02:40 PM
I love Alton :thumbsup:

itsbecca1979
07-29-2006, 02:44 PM
:happydance: :cheering:

knotmaker
07-29-2006, 02:46 PM
I have learned more "useless information" from watching Alton ... he is great!!! :happydance: I might just have to go and turn on my TV now!!

jod.beav
07-29-2006, 02:52 PM
:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :twisted: I can't believe I don't get Food Network!! I am a huge fan of Alton Brown. I guess I will have to buy/rent the dvd's of his show in order to see it. :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

--------On the needles---------------
a blanket whose recipient I haven't decided yet.

BinkyKat
07-29-2006, 03:07 PM
I love Alton too!!!! Watchin' the science of Pie right now! I have learned a ton from his shows. The tip about using a water bath when baking a cheesecake is what makes me the office "expert" on it and I have yet to have one crack! :thumbsup:
My mother actually told me once "it's supposed to do that..." :doh:
Um, no mom, it's not!!! :roflhard:

ChroniclesofYarnia
07-29-2006, 03:49 PM
At 7 they have a "making of Good Eats" hour long special. I am REALLY looking forward to that.

Alton's second in line behind my man Hugh. ;)

BinkyKat
07-29-2006, 04:06 PM
At 7 they have a "making of Good Eats" hour long special. I am REALLY looking forward to that.

Alton's second in line behind my man Hugh. ;)

:shock:
For a second I thought you were laying your mits on MY man Hugh...I forget there are other's out there. Laurie, Jackman.... I was so close to a kitten-fight there! :roflhard:

Making of Good Eats eh? I'm so there! :thumbsup:

ChroniclesofYarnia
07-29-2006, 04:12 PM
Your Hugh is hot, but I like mine broody. ;) You can put away the size 50 needles now. :lol:

BinkyKat
07-29-2006, 04:19 PM
Your Hugh is hot, but I like mine broody. ;) You can put away the size 50 needles now. :lol:

Hee hee, 50's would just bruise, 2's would be more clean...
;)
Here's a quote for ya....

"All life is equally sacred. And I promise you, the next knitting injury that comes in, we're on it like stink on cheese."
A House-ism, my gift to you fellow lover of guys named Hugh~ :heart:

ChroniclesofYarnia
07-29-2006, 04:46 PM
"All life is equally sacred. And I promise you, the next knitting injury that comes in, we're on it like stink on cheese."
A House-ism, my gift to you fellow lover of guys named Hugh~ :heart:

:heart: I feel the love. :) Here's my man a million years ago doing some country music. (Stephen Fry makes this video though.)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y7PUfsDc8x0&search=hugh%20laurie%20

DianaM
07-29-2006, 04:57 PM
I love Alton Brown, but I can't afford cable :crying:
I hopw I can get a decent job at Rapid, so I can at least get the basic stuff.

Julie
07-29-2006, 05:29 PM
RATS...DH currently has control of the TV...and I think if I commanded both the TV and the computer simultaneously he might get annoyed. :roflhard: I will tape the making-of tho...we :heart: Alton!!

Mrs.H
07-30-2006, 01:02 AM
And, his new program started tonight as well, Feasting on Asphalt. It was fantastic, of course, and here featured 2 locations close by here as well. One was in Spartanburg,SC, and the other is in Charlotte,NC. I adore Alton's programs, and his common sense style of cooking! I've downloaded and used many of his recipes, they are so easy to follow. My DH thinks he's annoying, I tell him he's just jealous because he can't cook as well as Alton can. :lol: :lol:
Linda

geekgolightly
07-30-2006, 09:19 AM
i miss cable! iw as a tv zombie when we had cable so no more for me. alton brown: a geek who cooks! doesnt get better than that for me.

kemp
07-30-2006, 09:29 AM
Woo Hoo! Thanks for the heads up. :heart: :heart: :heart: me some Alton!

DotMom61
08-12-2006, 08:46 AM
OMGOSH! I can't believe I completely missed this thread!!

I did not, however, miss the marathon! :D AND I'm recording all the Feasting on Asphalt shows. (I made a funny @ Kelly re: a "Knitting on Asphalt" trip, but I don't think she got it :??)

Anyway, I adore Alton, and I've become a much better cook because of him. I was @ a kitchen store w/ the kids the other day, and they kept looking around saying, "Alton has THIS!" and "Oh look, mom, a uni-tasker." :P They love Alton, too. :muah:

Vendie
08-12-2006, 09:03 AM
:teehee: :teehee: a uni-tasker :teehee: :teehee: that's just so funny on many different levels.

And, .Julie, I just wanted to say that I totally got your Knitting on Asphalt snicker and loved it. Loooooooooooooooove Feasting on Asphalt...it actually makes me want to upgrade and get a DVR so I can tape them.

The one trick I picked up from Alton involves baking brownies - place parchment paper on the bottom of your pan such that it hangs over two edges. That way when you are ready to remove your brownies, all you have to do is lift them out. And then use a pizza cutter to cut them. Works like a charm! Of course, I defeat all that buy making brownies from a box :oops:

Kirochka
08-12-2006, 09:19 AM
We're very geeky... we have his first book AND a set of measuring cup thingies with a drawing of him on them. Haven't watched any of his new show though.

DotMom61
08-12-2006, 09:20 AM
:waving: Hi Vendie!!! :muah:

I have a funny brownie thing: One of my friends' MIL always cuts the edges & corners off of brownies when she bakes them and then THROWS THEM AWAY!! :shock: When my friend was dating this woman's DS in college, she expressed her dismay at this strange ritual, and after that her (now) MIL would box up the "trimmings" and send them to her @ college! :roflhard:

Do you know how happy a box of brownie trimmings would make me? OMGOSH ... it would *not* be pretty ... I'm pretty sure I'd forget to come up for air. :oops:

Vendie
08-12-2006, 09:22 AM
I'm the same way when it comes to leveling cakes. I live for that! That's my favorite part of the cake baking process (that and licking the beaters). Dang, now I want brownies and cake...

Vendie
oh and :muah: back at'cha, babe!

DotMom61
We're very geeky... we have his first book AND a set of measuring cup thingies with a drawing of him on them. Haven't watched any of his new show though.

Karen!!!! (we missed you last night. :pout:)

His books are going on my Christmas list this year, and I just bought a couple of things @ last week to make me more of an Alton-like cook. :shifty: I have become quite obsessed with the whole show. We record as many of them as we can, and the kids love to watch them with me. They're learning a great deal, too.

ebrperk
08-12-2006, 10:47 AM
Alton Brown Rocks is the only way to put it. My husband will even watch shows about stuff he won't even eat if it is Alton Brown. I really enjoyed the Behind the Scenes show where we found out that W is actually his chiropractor.

Julie
08-12-2006, 11:07 AM
Robin, I was :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: that W is his chiropracter!! I wonder how he pitches these roles to people in his life... :rofling:

Kirochka
08-12-2006, 11:21 AM
Wish I'd seen that... I didn't know W was his chiropractor! She's so evil... in a good way!

bjc1050
08-13-2006, 02:06 PM
I love Alton, too, but stopped watching all cooking shows because every time I watched, I felt compelled to buy some piece of cookware or kitchen equipment...most of which I seldom use...it just takes up space.

Vendie
08-13-2006, 04:05 PM
DH and I were just talking about he needs a new Dutch oven and that he feels ready to move on to cookware that not non-stick, primarily b/c of the FoodNetwork. :rofling: I bought him a garlic press (isn't that a uni-tasker?) and he was like a little boy in a comic book store. Alton is our hero. :notworthy:

Kirochka
08-13-2006, 04:14 PM
Yeah, Alton might not like the garlic press... but I adore ours. If I try to mince garlic I'm going to cut my fingertips off. Some unitaskers earn their keep! :-) P.S. I've wrecked the finish on two Calphalon pans so far... I didn't realize you couldn't use cooking spray on them... I'm that close to crossing over to cast iron...

Andrea
08-13-2006, 07:50 PM
:hiding: I've never even heard of the guy!

Kirochka
08-13-2006, 07:52 PM
He's on Food Network - that's where you'll find him!

Dilly
08-13-2006, 07:52 PM
:hiding: I've never even heard of the guy!

Finally! :cheering: Somebody else... I thought I was the only one!!!!!

DotMom61
08-13-2006, 07:58 PM
Brian is SHOCKED that you haven't heard of Alton Brown.

Watch Iron Chef America @ 8 pm on The Food Network. He's the host of that, and you can check your listing for Good Eats. Don't know if you'd like him or not, but WE think he's pretty cool. ;-)

Dilly
08-13-2006, 08:02 PM
I don't have cable, although I don't think the Food Network is on cable. I think I'd have to get a satellite dish to watch the Food Network.

Sorry Brian... :verysad:

Andrea
08-13-2006, 08:20 PM
Ummm...yeah....I have no interest :hiding:

Cooking?? :ick: Cooking shows????? :ick: :ick:

Dilly
08-13-2006, 08:32 PM
Ummm...yeah....I have no interest :hiding:

Cooking?? :ick: Cooking shows????? :ick: :ick:

Again... the same! I can't really cook, and I don't really have an interest in learning either. I've never watched a cooking show that I've enjoyed, either.

brownishcoat
08-13-2006, 09:13 PM
I thought I was going to feel the same way, but I started watching about 3-4 of them on Saturday mornings about 5 years ago. I'm not always excited about the recipes, per se, but I've learned some amazing techniques and my kids are always saying that my cooking really improved a lot. I've also become really creative and have done some branching out.

I've pretty much stopped at this point; I think I've plateaued. It's just good to find a host/chef you click with.

DotMom61
08-13-2006, 10:36 PM
I really consider his show to almost be more science than cooking. But, really, understanding what's happening *when* you're using a certain recipe certainly makes them turn out better!!

Andrea -- you can thank Alton for the ice cream on Friday!! It wouldn't have turned out as well had I not seen his ice cream show. :lol:

Andrea
08-14-2006, 12:01 AM
:notworthy: Thank you, Alton!

But I'm still not watching! :P

ChroniclesofYarnia
08-14-2006, 09:25 AM
I've been watching Feasting on Asphalt, and I hate to be shallow, but Alton is ruining my little fantasty world by getting a little tubby. He's never been lean, and I like that, but I was really looking forward to ogling some leather clad AB.

He's still my 2nd in line tv boyfriend. :muah:

Kirochka
08-14-2006, 09:39 AM
Tubby just makes me appreciate that he's not some shallow Hollywood type! :rofling:

I mean, given his hair, we knew that anyway... :wink:

DotMom61
08-14-2006, 10:50 AM
Yeah, I noticed that, too. But look at all the FOOD they're eating. And it's not healthy food, either!!

I also think that some of it has to do w/ his riding clothes ... not ALL of it, but SOME of it! :lol:

I think he would be one of those people that I could sit down and talk with and would feel like I've known him all my life. He has so many interests that sync up w/ my DH -- they even ride nearly the same motorcycle & have very similar riding clothes and helmet!! Maybe *that's* why I like 'im so much. :heart:

stitchwitch
08-14-2006, 11:09 AM
Alton is a favorite in our house, hubby likes him and so do I. I really like his feasting on asphalt show since I ride a motorcycle also. :-)