PDA

View Full Version : Anyone knitting Starburst?

sugarbeth
08-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Inspired by Amber's Starburst (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15372&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=starburst), I decided to jump in and do one of my own.

Knitpick's Pattern (http://www.knitpicks.com/Projects/Projects_Display_Yarn.aspx?itemid=50443220&yarnid=5420104)

I'm using Knitpick's Merino Style in "Storm". I'm thinking it will be a nice sweater for Winter Solstice.

Anyhoo, I started this a couple of days ago, and am almost done with the starburst on the back. I remember reading Amber's account of how the starburst was off-center, and I couldn't figure out what she was talking about. But now I know. The pattern is wrong.

If you were to follow the pattern as written, then then starburst is rotated off-center, so that it's no longer symmetrical from side-to-side. Last night I got almost to the part where you divide up the sweater into sections, when I realized just how the pattern was wacked.

I ended up ripping out a bunch because my anal-retentiveness would not put up with an asymmetrical starburst. :lol: It's so frustrating to rip out stuff that isn't your fault! :wall:

In Round 27, you divide the round into 4 sections with markers, later becoming the top, bottom and 2 sides. This is where the pattern starts going bad. You can't have 4 equal sections and make the design work. So I ended up placing the 4 new markers where I thought they should go, with my round-starting marker at the center top. This results in the sides being slightly longer than the top/bottom, which is good because I want to make the sweater a bit longer anyway. So hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here on out.

So if there's anyone out there making this thing, please join me. And if not, then I can just talk to myself and maybe I'll help someone out who makes this in the future. ;)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
08-02-2006, 06:02 PM
WOW. Good for you for figuring it out! I love the starburst, but I don't like the overall look of the sweater (it's either the dropped sleeves, or the fact that it's the knitpicks model with the wierd chin that I avoid). This is a great sweater for our year of the sweater KAL, too!

Have you been able to chart/write your changes? Knitpicks might be interested in seeing them, since the pattern is incorrect. Surely other people have had the same problem.

sugarbeth
08-02-2006, 06:23 PM
I wrote down what I did so far to fix it, but since I was working on a ripped out sweater, my original round marker might be off by a stitch. :lol: Next time I have my notes by the computer, I'll post my corrections here. I sent a note to Knitpicks telling them about the problem, and they said they'd pass my email to their pattern editor.

It's still fun, though. Never started a sweater in the middle of the back before! I don't think I've done this many yo's before, either. :lol:

Amber
08-02-2006, 07:31 PM
sugarbeth,

That's awesome that you figured out what was wrong with the pattern. Pattern errors are sooooo frustrating. Grrrr. I'm glad you let Knit Picks know.

It really is a fun pattern though, isn't it? I can't wait to see yours! I think it'll be gorgeous in Storm. :inlove:

sugarbeth
08-02-2006, 08:16 PM
Amber, you should send Knitpicks an email too - and your pics. Then they'd definitely take a harder look at the pattern. Your sweater is still gorgeous, though - it's the whole reason I'm knitting it. :thumbsup:

Amber
08-03-2006, 11:36 AM
That's a great idea. I exchanged a couple emails with the designer (Kristin Omdahl) while I was knitting the sweater to clairify some things in the pattern, so I just went ahead and emailed her about it. Hopefully, with your email to Knit Picks and mine to Kristin, they will publish the corrections soon!

sugarbeth
08-06-2006, 04:08 AM
Gah! This pattern! :wall:

So I've knitted up the fronts, adding an extra ten rows to the bottoms because I want it a bit longer. Then I also added ten rows to the bottom of the back. I'm going to leave them for the moment, and do everything else first before I tackle the bottom ruffle.

Um, the collar. Boy, are those instructions unnecessarily confusing and vague. It doesn't give you any idea of the spacing for picking up stitches, but the picked-up-stitch number really influences the depth of the collar. I've ripped this sucker out so much that the yarn is already looking worn around the neck. :doh: I'm figuring that I should only pick up the slipped stitches on the ends (making 1 pick up for every 2 rows). Also, it made things easier to pick up all the stitches first (having them on the needles already for when I need to pick up 4 at the end of each row) then to start I can just rejoin at the back. I'm forgoing the 8 rows knitted straight, as the collar is already going to be pretty wide, and the picture doesn't even seem to have those. I'll just start going into the bind-off phase as soon as I hit the bottom. And yeah...I guess I need to do a sloped bind off? I'll likely do more than 4 stitches at a time to keep the collar from getting too big.

Hopefully this collar will get done soon, then I'll post some progress pics.

sugarbeth
08-07-2006, 03:45 AM
Ooooo...I hate this stupid collar! :wall: I should've left in my first attempt, because that looked much better than my current one. The first time, I picked up 1 front stitch on every row - and while that gave me a bizillion stitches, it was much neater looking than picking up only 1 stitch per two rows.

And I'm not liking this step-wise bind-off that the pattern calls for. Even with a sloping bind-off, it's still coming out crappy looking.

So I'm going to scrap it again, and come up with something I like better. Use some short rows or something. So I can bind off straight all around.

suzeeq
08-07-2006, 08:31 AM
It usually seems to work best when picking up stitches to pick up 3 for every 4 rows. More than every other row, but not as many as for every row.

sue

Amber
08-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Ah, well that explains why my collar came out too wide -- I picked up stitches for every row! Edit: Okay, it wasn't every row. I picked up for each slipped stitch, so every other row, I guess.

Good luck coming up with a solution!!!

ETA: I didn't have a problem with the stepped bind-off, but I slipped the first stitch of each grouping knit-wise (is that a sloped bind-off?). Anyway, I found that the collar stretches out quite a bit, so that the ribbing is almost flat, and then the bind-off looks pretty smooth.

sugarbeth
08-07-2006, 04:56 PM
Sue, that sounds like a good ratio to try. And Amber, I'll have to try out the bind off the way you did it - maybe that'll look better. I did the sloped bind-off like in the knittinghelp videos, and with these size 10's, it left this hole on the edge that was really annoying. I'm thinking your way might be the ticket. :thumbsup:

Thanks, ladies!

sugarbeth
08-09-2006, 01:03 PM
Okay, I think I've got a decent collar on this thing, mostly by improvisation. :)

I picked up 3 stitches for every 4 rows along the front. Spacing them out by the mantra "(1)slipped stich - (2)in between - (3)slipped stitch". In the end I got 56 picked up stitches along each of the fronts, 24 stitches along the back neck. Picked them all up first, then broke off and started knitting the collar along the back neck.

Used size 9 needles to knit the ribbing. Made it look neater (I must knit ribbing really loose or something.)

I started off picking up 4 stitches at the end of each row. But when I got halfway down the fronts, I upped that to 6 stitches at the end of each row. Once I got to the bottom, I turned around and started binding off immediately. I cast off 6 stitches at the beginning of each row.

I still kept ending up with that hole at the transition between the previous bind-off and the new bind-off. So I just fiddled with it until it looked nice. It was the loop from the previous bind-off that would always stretch out and get all huge and make the hole. So what I did was reach down underneath it to grab another loop of the yarn that was making that stitch, and wrap it around my right needle again, cinching that stitch tight. Then slipped the next stitch onto the right needle, and pull the double-loops over that. No more hole.

I kept up with binding off 6 stitches at a time, until about halfway up when it was starting to look like the collar would get too huge, so then started binding off 8 stitches at a time, then 10, then finally I was done. And it looks fine.

So now I need to sew the side seams for the sleeves. I'm leaving the bottom open for a little while, in case I want to add even more to the length. Of course my new problem is that I think I'm going to run out of yarn. So the bottom ruffle will likely be in another dye lot. But that'll be the best spot to get away with that - I hope!

suzeeq
08-09-2006, 02:40 PM
Okay, I think I've got a decent collar on this thing, mostly by improvisation. :)

I still kept ending up with that hole at the transition between the previous bind-off and the new bind-off. So I just fiddled with it until it looked nice. It was the loop from the previous bind-off that would always stretch out and get all huge and make the hole. So what I did was reach down underneath it to grab another loop of the yarn that was making that stitch, and wrap it around my right needle again, cinching that stitch tight. Then slipped the next stitch onto the right needle, and pull the double-loops over that. No more hole.

That's actually pretty common on most regular bindoffs. What I've done is not knit that stitch on the BO, but slip it, then knit the next one and BO - like a sl 1 k1 psso. Helps minimize that hole.

sue

jsauer
08-09-2006, 04:47 PM
Sugarbeth, I can't wait to see your finished sweater! We will all celebrate with you 'cause this sounds like it has been a major frustration.

As for the appeal of the pattern - I think some folks might not be too tempted by it because of the color that KnitPicks shows it in. Amber's choice is great! And I'm sure yours is much better than that kind of anemic looking lavendar KnitPicks chose.

Good luck with finishing it!

jenn

sugarbeth
08-10-2006, 03:11 PM
Sue, that's an interesting way to do that bind-off, too! another one to try! :)

Jenn~ thanks!

I don't have recent pics yet, but I do have one of the back. You can at least see how the color and the starburst looks.

http://www.thosemartins.com/shared/starburst1.JPG

Andrea
08-10-2006, 03:19 PM
:inlove: :inlove: Pretty!!

jsauer
08-10-2006, 05:45 PM
Sugarbeth! Oh man! That's a grrrrrrreat color! I think the pattern needs really dramatic color to show off the starburst pattern to its best.

Beautiful work.

jenn

Amber
08-10-2006, 06:50 PM
Gorgeous!!

casio
08-21-2006, 12:30 PM
Any more updates on this sweater? I just bought the pattern, and I want to read it through before I decide whether to make it. It has been very helpful to read about problems other knitters have already solved. Any other insights from the designer?

Amber
08-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Check the errata (http://www.knitpicks.com/projects/errata.asp) page at Knit Picks. They posted some changes to the pattern on August 10th.

sugarbeth
08-21-2006, 06:22 PM
Still chugging along. I took a break from it for a little while to knit some knucks, but the other day I sewed up the side seams and have started the sleeves. I didn't appreciate all the k2p2 rib that I'd be doing for these sleeves. Man, do I hate ribbing! lol

Knitpicks wrote me back again, asking me to elaborate on the starburst error. So I did, and gave them links to Amber's pics so they could see what I was talking about when I said that it's rotated. I told them about the collar issues too.

I noticed on the 8/10 errata that they suggested forgoing 8 rows in the collar if it looked like it was getting too big. But no fix for the starburst yet. When I get a chance, I'll draw a little sketch of how to fix it.

I also noticed on the 8/10 errata that there's even more errors in their corrections. lol In the picking up stitches part for the sleeves in the bigger sizes, they transposed a couple of numbers. Whoever's writing their patterns needs to pay more attention. ha ha ha!

Amber
08-21-2006, 07:04 PM
Still chugging along. I took a break from it for a little while to knit some knucks, but the other day I sewed up the side seams and have started the sleeves. I didn't appreciate all the k2p2 rib that I'd be doing for these sleeves. Man, do I hate ribbing! lol

Knitpicks wrote me back again, asking me to elaborate on the starburst error. So I did, and gave them links to Amber's pics so they could see what I was talking about when I said that it's rotated. I told them about the collar issues too.

I noticed on the 8/10 errata that they suggested forgoing 8 rows in the collar if it looked like it was getting too big. But no fix for the starburst yet. When I get a chance, I'll draw a little sketch of how to fix it.

I also noticed on the 8/10 errata that there's even more errors in their corrections. lol In the picking up stitches part for the sleeves in the bigger sizes, they transposed a couple of numbers. Whoever's writing their patterns needs to pay more attention. ha ha ha!

Oh brother! I saw that they'd updated the errata for the pattern, but didn't look at all the details! I hope they get a corrected version up soon. It really ticks me off that they'd have a pattern out there that they know is flawed! Granted, the pattern errors aren't catastrophic ones, but it's still very frustrating. :-x

sugarbeth
08-21-2006, 07:24 PM
Here's my quick and dirty diagram of the fix for the starburst rotation. For row 27, place your 4 markers where the red dots are, right before the yarnover holes there. Place them so that when you *yo, pm, k1, yo*, it remains consistent with the previous rows. This way you will continue those 4 lines of yarnovers holes in a consistent, aesthetic way. Place a fifth marker to denote the top center, because the 4 sides will not be equal anymore - the sides are a smidge longer when you divide up the stitches this way.

Hope this helps! :)

casio
08-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Thanks so much for all the tips.

Amber, I really like your skinny sleeves, I think they look better that way. The sweater looks more sleek and the belled cuffs look more dramatic. So, if I decide to take the plunge and make the sweater, I will definitely pick up fewer stitches for my sleeves.

Thanks for the sketch sugarbeth! When I get to read through the whole pattern, I will be able to understand where to correct the starburst orientation.

I am thinking of modifying the collar to be like the Otis wrap from Knitty.com and wearing the sweater over a camisole. [url=http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring04/PATTotis.html]

I ordered the pattern and the color cards for merino style and elegance late last week. I won't even get the pattern until later this week so I can't make too many modifications yet.

Amber
08-23-2006, 12:00 PM
Amber, I really like your skinny sleeves, I think they look better that way. The sweater looks more sleek and the belled cuffs look more dramatic. So, if I decide to take the plunge and make the sweater, I will definitely pick up fewer stitches for my sleeves.

Thanks Casio!!

I am thinking of modifying the collar to be like the Otis wrap from Knitty.com and wearing the sweater over a camisole. [url=http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring04/PATTotis.html]

I think that will be really pretty!!!

sugarbeth
08-23-2006, 01:18 PM
I'm trying to figure out what to do with the sleeves, too. My first attempt I picked up 60 stitches, but the sleeve was too tight on my arms, and cut too high into my armpit. So I took out about an inch of the side seaming (which turned out to be more accurate - I sewed up too high the first time) and I was able to get 72 stitches picked up like the pattern says.

Since I want longer sleeves also, I've been knitting these 72 stitches, and I'm thinking they're going to end up too saggy. They're fine on the upper arm, but not below the elbow. So I'm thinking maybe I'll work some decreases down the length of the arm? I dunno. It's definitely going to show with that k2p2 rib, but maybe if they're on the underside it won't be too obvious.

Casio, I've never seen Elegance, but I'm guessing it will be a better yarn that this Merino Style I'm using. I'm not too keen on it - I think it will look worn REALLY quickly, judging by how fuzzed out it gets when I rip stuff out.

casio
08-28-2006, 11:00 AM
What about the sizes? Did you make the size to match your actual chest measurement? Is is too loose or too tight? It bothers me that there doesn't seem to be a place in the construction where I can check to see if it is going to fit right. I don't have any other garments to compare it to; with other sweaters, I have measured a similar sweater that I like to choose a size, but that technique won't work here.

I got the pattern and color card, I plan to make it in merino style petal. But I can't start until I finish the sweater I am working on now (Josephine from Knitty fall 2005). Hopefully I will be ready to start it by October or November, depending on my success with the giant shawl collar on Josephine.

Casio

Amber
08-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Well, my chest measurement is 32" and I knit the smallest size (33"). My gauge was a little off though, so mine probably came out a bit smaller than 33". Mine could be a bit bigger, but it's okay the way it is.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I think you'd want an inch or two of ease, so it's snug, but not baggy.

sugarbeth
08-28-2006, 06:57 PM
Ditto Amber on the sizes - I'm 32" and I'm knitting the 33". It's still really hard to tell how this is fitting. The starburst part is so wavy and wonky. I think maybe if I did it again, I would go up a size. It's really hard to say, though - especially since I'm altering the length, too.

casio
08-30-2006, 02:45 PM
"It's still really hard to tell how this is fitting. The starburst part is so wavy and wonky."

Really?!? Can you tell if it is going to turn out wearable?

sugarbeth
08-30-2006, 06:58 PM
"It's still really hard to tell how this is fitting. The starburst part is so wavy and wonky."

Really?!? Can you tell if it is going to turn out wearable?

Oh, I'm sure it'll be fine once it's all done and blocked - I mean it's just hard to tell how the fit is at this point. :)

casio
08-31-2006, 10:31 AM
*whew*. You had me worried for a minute. But Amber's looks like it fits great in her pictures. I am sure yours will too, after it is all finished and blocked--like you said. I look forward to seeing some pictures.

I am requiring myself to finish the sweater I am working on before I order my yarn, but with a nice car trip this weekend, I should make a lot of progress. The pattern looks so fun to do, I am excited to start.

Casio

PS. I obviously don't know how to do all of the cool message board stuff, like inserting links and quoting previous messages. I will figure that out eventually too.

Amber
08-31-2006, 11:55 AM
Yep, don't worry casio -- the starburst definitely needs to be blocked to reach its full potential!

sugarbeth
09-06-2006, 12:01 AM
I finished one sleeve so far, and I've got the length and width how I want it...I'm just not sure I'm liking this drop stitch thing. Now in other people's pics, it looks nice, but up close? I dunno...it seems really sloppy on mine. Off to look at other options for making that bell shape happen on the sleeves...

casio
09-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Okay, I'm there and now your chart makes sense. Of course, I had to knit past it before I really understood what it all meant. So, now I am unknitting two rows so I can fix the placement of one of the increases. I got the other three well-placed and I tried to talk myself into ignoring the fourth one because it is a the bottom and probaly wouldn't be noticable in the finished product anyway. But I really like symmetry, so I tink.

When I have row 27 all lined up right, I will post again with my directions. Anyone else out there working on this?

When I get all the way through the increases, I am going to try to count out a bind-off row, rather than trying to get everything off the big needle and onto holders. I will let you know if that works.

Casio

sugarbeth
09-28-2006, 03:22 PM
Cool, you're getting going! :happydance: I still need to work on mine some more...I've been working on other projects that aren't so frustrating. :)

casio
09-28-2006, 04:06 PM
Here is my re-interpretation of Row 27, so it is visually symmetrical with the starburst.

Starting at the beginning of the round: K24, yo, pm, k1, yo; K55, yo, pm, k1, yo; K51, yo, pm, k1, yo; K55, yo, pm, k1, yo; K26 (to end of round).

From here you can use the markers to guide the increases, as directed in the pattern, but you can't use the guidelines of "repeat rounds 28 and 29 until there are 66(72, 76, etc) stitches between each marker..."

So, I figured out the number of stitches I need to increase (216 for the finished starburst, 304 for my size, means I need to increase 88 total and I just did 8 in row 27, so I need 80 more) and then divide by 8 to get my number of rows to increase. I need to repeat rows 28 and 29 10 more times and end with a row 28. When I get there, I will make sure my count equals 304 stitches for the entire round and then I will move on to separating and binding off top, bottom, and sides.

I hope this helps someone.

Casio

casio
11-01-2006, 03:43 PM
I have the back finished and the fronts both increased. I have them on the same needle now so I am sure they will be the same length after I knit the last 14 or so rows. Then the ruffle, collar, and sleeves. I wish I could have it done to wear for the Christmas season, but I don't think that is realistic.

I bound off of the sides during the step where I separated the top from the sides and bottom. In general terms, starting from the beginning of row marker, top center, I bound-off half of the collar, knit the left front, bound-off the left side, knit the bottom, bound-off the right side, knit the right front, and bound-off the second half of the collar. I liked doing it that way because I didn't have a bunch of stitches on the sides sitting around on holders, when they are going to be bound-off anyway. The starburst is centered on the back.

I wish I would have twisted the stitch between the yarn-overs on the increase rows, to be consistent with the rest of the yo, k1tbtl, yo's. I followed the instructions as written, but I would change it if I could.

I might try blocking it once I have finished the fronts, just to make sure I like the length before I plunge into the ruffle.

casio

sugarbeth
11-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Sounds like it's coming along! I recently picked mine back up and started on the second sleeve. I don't think I elaborated before...I ended up putting a pair of decreases every 12th row on the underside of the sleeve until the flare part. Otherwise the sleeve would've been too wide on my skinny arms.

casio
11-06-2006, 05:36 PM
Sugarbeth, did you add legnth to the front only, or to the whole body?

Casio

sugarbeth
11-06-2006, 08:01 PM
I added ten rows to the front and back. It's all still on holders, so that once I get the sleeves done, I'll see better if I like that length or if I want to add more or what.

I left some long tails when I sewed the side seams so that if I made the sweater longer, I could easily go back and sew the sides more.

casio
11-08-2006, 10:32 AM
So you are saving the ruffle for last--that seems like a very smart idea. Did you do the collar yet?

sugarbeth
11-08-2006, 12:11 PM
Yep, ruffle for last - especially because I'm not sure that I'll have enough yarn. So if I have two different lot colors, that'll be the least obvious place.

The collar is done, but I still might change it after I'm finished with the rest.

casio
03-21-2007, 04:30 PM
I wanted my Starburst for Christmas. When I realized that I wouldn't make it, I put it aside to finish other projects. I picked it back up this weekend and it is my only project on the needles. I sewed up the side seams so I could try it on like a vest. Too short. I am about 3/4 through the first sleeve. When I finish the sleeves, I will do the collar. Then I think I will block it before I finalize the legnth and do the ruffle. I still really like it, I am happy it didn't lose my interest over the long break. I showed it to my knitting group last night and everyone loved it. It is such a pretty design.

Anyone else working on one? Sugarbeth, is yours finished?

sugarbeth
03-21-2007, 06:50 PM
casio, I'd love to see your progress pics if you've got any. :) I haven't been knitting in a while - I tend to go in bursts. Starburst is still in a holding pattern, I'm afraid.