PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide...

candicane
08-04-2006, 12:25 PM
I want to make the Judy Jetson cardigan. The pattern calls for Lamb's Pride worsted, which I find a tad itchy. Plus, I think I really like the sparkle of the Classic Elite City Lights on sale at Webs. What do you think? I am leaning toward the Boston and Edinburgh colors.

Candice

http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/0-1300-1313-1322/0/9/1139/

mulene
08-04-2006, 12:27 PM
love that Cardi - boston colour is my choice =D

ladyindica2000
08-04-2006, 12:29 PM
Oh, I love that cardi... I personally would choose the Edinburgh. Both are lovely colors though.

candicane
08-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Has anyone used/fondled City Lights? Would you consider it soft or scratchy. Anything I can compare it to?

candice

candicane
08-04-2006, 02:18 PM
In case anyone else was looking... I thought Edinburgh was gray, but I called Webs and found out it is dark brown. Still don't know how soft it is though.

Candice

cecile77
08-04-2006, 02:27 PM
I really like that cardigan. My vote is for "Boston"

Celine
08-04-2006, 02:45 PM
Pretty sweater. I vote for Boston too.

knitaddict
08-04-2006, 03:05 PM
Definitely the Boston. :)

nanonette
08-04-2006, 06:23 PM
Love the cardigan & I'm definitely rooting for Boston!! :cheering:

haloheaven
08-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Boston is stunning! I wish I could buy it, but it's wool and I'm a vegan :crying:

Have you guys ever seen a similar yarn without animal fibers? Please say yes!
:)

Debbie
08-05-2006, 05:05 AM
Do you think the "thick and thin" of City Lights will give you the same effect on the ribbing on the collar that a "plain" worsted would. Maybe someone with more "variety of yarn" experience than I have would know...

Also, your pattern calls for size 6 needles and City Lights uses size 9 needles. (even though the gauge is the same) I don't have a lot of experience switching yarns ... would this make a difference ? Wouldn't the "fabric" look different ?

Hildi -- how bout all those " " :)

candicane
08-05-2006, 08:28 AM
There was a craftser thread about the cardigan and the question of needle size came up. The woman who wrote the pattern said she wanted a tight fabric and choose the smaller needles on purpose. Lamb's Pride calls for a size 8 needle. I may have to experiment.

I have decided that Boston is my favorite of the colors, but still on the fence about the softness. The folks at Webs said that it is not a supersoft wool and that I would probably want to wear something under it. I rarely wear sweaters without an underlayer anyway. Unfortunately it is a final sale item.

Candice

kemp
08-05-2006, 11:11 AM
Boston is stunning! I wish I could buy it, but it's wool and I'm a vegan :crying:

How about some soy silk? It comes in different weights.

haloheaven
08-10-2006, 03:52 AM

How about some soy silk? It comes in different weights.

Oh, how cool! I was not aware of soy as yarn,now I'm happy,
Thank you Kemp for the info! :)

kemp
08-10-2006, 08:05 AM
You're welcome...you've probably already found it but check out soysilk.com they also have bamboo and corn fiber yarn too!

sandrasingh
08-10-2006, 08:25 AM
I vote for Boston, where is this pattern from??

candicane
08-10-2006, 09:48 AM
Here is a link to the pattern. There was a Knit Along on craftster.org with some helpful info.

http://www.knittingfog.net/judyjetson.html

candice

VictoiseC
08-10-2006, 11:45 AM
What a neat sweater! I like Boston too, are you going to use that?
Wow, I've just got spoiled with some Debbie Bliss Alpaca silk that I bought two balls of coz it was on sale. Wow. Now I don't want to use scratchy yarn although I do like the natural sheep wool I just bought at a farm.

Since it's 'Judy Jetson' I think it should be BRIGHT (like that pink) Space color.

candicane
08-10-2006, 11:51 AM
I did order the Boston even though from what I have read it is not the softest wool. I really like the color and sparkle of the Boston, so I am going to give it a try. I recently made a wrap with sleeves (Karabella pattern) from some merino from 100purewool on ebay. I think it is comparable to Malabrigo. It is soooo soft and I am a bit spoiled by that. But the sparkle of City Lights kept calling me! I should probably get it next week some time.

So, in the mean time I really must make progress on my circular shrug and french market tote. And I need to make a baby present too.

Candice