PDA

View Full Version : Q: Why do you like to knit?

aineepooh1
08-10-2006, 03:44 PM
For me, I just started knitting a month ago.. but I really love it because
1) after MULTIPLE attempts..I CAN FINALLY DO IT.
2) it is one of the most RELAXING activities I have ever discovered ..great for when you can't go to sleep
3) it is quiet and doesn't bother anyone else but keeps me very occupied and happy
4) I think much clearer when I knit...!!!!???
5) I love experimenting with the feel of different yarns as they run through my fingers.
6) To me no gift is as personal as something someone made especially for me

SabrinaJL
08-10-2006, 03:51 PM
For me, mainly because it's relaxing and I enjoy doing something productive.

spooky
08-10-2006, 04:01 PM
I like the fact that I can actually make something.
I like to give people knitted gifts and say "oh btw I made that"
I like to make things that I see in magazines, but really can't afford.
I love to make pillows with designs on them that you can't find in stores.
And best of all!!!! I am so happy I can do something that my husband can't :teehee: !

misstialouise
08-10-2006, 04:43 PM
1. It helps me keep my depression & anxiety in check (focus and relaxation)
2. I get to make stuff
3. I can't take my sewing machine on the bus
4. People think I'm very clever because I can knit

;)

cozy
08-10-2006, 05:41 PM
It makes me feel creative & it relaxes me.

Jenelle
08-10-2006, 05:51 PM
I like it how I can make something for someone with love rather than buying something in the store.

I like being able to get creative.

Keeps me occupied a lot.

I like being able to make stuff to custom fit me without it being too big or too small..

I like all the pretty colors that you can choose from, along with the fibers and thickness of the yarns.

suzeeq
08-10-2006, 06:26 PM
Mainly because it's just so cool to take some string (sometimes some very nice. soft string) and have it turn into something useable/wearable. I'm not a creative person in the sense of writing or art, but my imagination runs amok on seeing a picture of something as I say "I could do that, like this..." ;D

sue

08-10-2006, 06:27 PM
I like it because I can actually do it! I am THE most UN-crafty person on this planet, so the fact that I can knit is absolutely amazing. :woot:

cecile77
08-10-2006, 06:28 PM
It's a stress reliever
It keeps me from being too depressed about being dateless
I like being able to make something that is unique and that actually fits me
I like being able to do the same for my friends and family
It keeps boredom at bay when my social calendar has a lull

Amber
08-10-2006, 06:38 PM
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. :heart: xxx :heart:

I guess what I love most is the whole creative aspect. I love being able to make things. Some day I'd love to try designing my own patterns.

I love the simplicity of knitting. I think it's pretty amazing that you can create so many things with just yarn and two sticks!

I love the fact that it is practical -- I can make things I will actually use.

I love the yarn -- the way it feels, looks (the colors!), and even the way it smells!

I love the mechanics of knitting. I love the feel of the needles and yarn in my hands.

I love how relaxing it is. But, I love that it can be exciting too -- trying new techniques, stitches, and patterns.

I love the fact that it is portable -- you can knit almost anywhere!

I love being able to give gifts that I've made with my own hands.

suzeeq
08-10-2006, 06:49 PM
Amber,

Me too!!!!!

sue

Celine
08-10-2006, 07:38 PM
I also love knitting..here's why...

I love to shop for yarn.

I feel creative when I finish a project.

People admire me that I can knit since most of my friends can't/don't.

I have arthritis in my back, hips and knees but it does NOT hurt me at all to knit. :muah:

Helps pass the time away for me.

I get to make my 3 yr. old gd pretty things.

I get to buy lots of wonderful books on knitting.

I find it very relaxing. :muah:

Renoah
08-10-2006, 07:54 PM
I love to knit because it's body-work and not all brain-work, and being a university student, I need every opportunity I can get to do my work with my hands and leave my overworked brain out of it!
:hug: :cheering: :guyknitting: :yay: :clap: :happydancing:
But of course, there's that happy side effect of having lots of yarn in my life. :rofling:

knitaddict
08-10-2006, 08:21 PM
Mainly because it's just so cool to take some string (sometimes some very nice. soft string) and have it turn into something useable/wearable. I'm not a creative person in the sense of writing or art, but my imagination runs amok on seeing a picture of something as I say "I could do that, like this..." ;D

sue
That is my number one fascination with knitting. I sometimes will look at a WIP while it's on my needle and then look at the yarn that's attached to it and just stare in wonder over the fact that this tiny little string is becoming this beautiful garment/afghan/etc. It's just fascinating.

My number 2 reason is that it's relaxing and at the same time stimulating to me. Kind of weird, huh? lol

CateKnits
08-10-2006, 08:36 PM
Because the pain it causes my wrist is nothing compared to the pain sports cause my knee? :rofling:

Okay, seriously, I like it because it's repetative, predictable, and monotonous. I know that sounds odd, but I really love things that are always the same. It's comforting! Not that I only knit the same thing time after time, but it's still all just the same basic stitches, even when they're mixed up in new ways.

yarnfreak
08-10-2006, 10:49 PM
It's relaxing, and I have something to show for my time in the end.

jod.beav
08-11-2006, 12:45 AM
For me, I know it is a real destresser for me. I knit just to relax. usually it doesnt even amount to much. Suprising to many people, I love to frog knitting when I need to blow off some steam.

geekgolightly
08-11-2006, 06:33 AM
it's facinating that this long piece of string can be a scarf or a sweater or a blanket or a purse and that im the one who can make it into that. its powerful.

ive never been an artist but ive always been a huge art fan. now i get to work with color and produce good results. just knitting with some of these saturated hues satisfies me. sometimes i dont really care what im knitting as much as what color and feel of hand im knitting with.

it calms my OCD nature as well as indulges in it. the repetitive nature along with the endless types of yarn and patterns gives me lots to obsess over, and then just sit and be calm doing the same thing over and over and over and over.

ive found that knitters are my favorite people, and i want to be around them more. :muah:

geekgolightly
08-11-2006, 06:35 AM
and i really like it when someone comes up and says "oh wow you can knit!" :blooby:

mulene
08-11-2006, 07:00 AM
Having been a gamer and whiling hours away playing online computer games (and I mean HOURS and HOURS) I have nothing to show at the end of it to say I have a hobby. My boss and several other "normal" people think I'm a weirdo, some kind of freak because I have this weird "habit" with games. They think it is uneducational, it is isolating and unhealthy. At the end of the day I've made friends with people ALL over the globe, I've travelled to meet people I've met gaming and I've had people I've met gaming come to the UK and meet up for a raucous evening of fun and laughter.

But still, at the end of the time I have nothing to show for it.

With knitting - well I've only recently taken it back up after a 20 year gap.

My beloved gaming has suffered, it has been cast aside while I look at the intracacies of how things are put together in yarns from acyllic eyelash yarn (yes I started back knitting with the hardest possible yarn on earth but I was determined to make my mother a scarf), to the softest of cashmere and merino. How you can make things and then shrink them (without thinking of the horror stories of shrunken sweaters in the past) and watch as they go from giant unusual looking gnome shaped hats and transform magically into thick warm cosy clogs that fit on feet!

I am fascinated with the end products of knitting and I love that we can follow this weird set of dots and dashes in a chart, or language on a page that would make a non knitter go crosseyed and say "huh?" (think of SSK or K2tog, yo) to produce something warm, wearable and fabulous (even if it didn't turn out like the pattern). What we do is art.

I don't care that people think I'm some kind of kinky wierdo with some strange fetish when I talk about going to Folkestone in Kent to learn to spin (they instantly think of spinning as in the new fad in exercising on fixed bikes) and feel up sheep fleece. I can see them having visions of this overweight bird in lycra cycling shorts running round the countryside worrying sheep while she tries to feel them up. I can even see them looking at the headlines in The Sun newspaper "39 Year old Woman arrested in Kinky Sheep Worrying incident."

OK sorry I've rambled too long in this post. The upshot is.

I like knitting cos it's fun ;)

CarmenIbanez
08-12-2006, 11:37 AM
I don't have any explanation. I just love it.

DreamWeaver
08-12-2006, 11:54 AM
I love knitting because... well... it's awsome :heart:

I used to just spend lots of time at the computer and watching TV doing absolutely nothing productive and rotting my brain, but now I have something to show for all of my idle hours.

I also like it because I can do it! I'm not a supermodel, I'm terrible at sports, I'm no genious, but by gosh I can make you a scarf most would pay five bucks for. And for me that's enough :hug:

suzeeq
08-12-2006, 12:51 PM
I love knitting because... well... it's awsome :heart:

I used to just spend lots of time at the computer and watching TV doing absolutely nothing productive and rotting my brain, but now I have something to show for all of my idle hours.

I also like it because I can do it! I'm not a supermodel, I'm terrible at sports, I'm no genious, but by gosh I can make you a scarf most would pay five bucks for. And for me that's enough :hug:

Never mind that you spent $15 on the yarn....! :teehee: <jk!>

sue

caviar
08-12-2006, 02:06 PM
I wash the dishes. They end up in the sink 2 hours later. I make dinner. We eat it (and dirty more dishes). I pick up after the kids. They drag out the same toys. I finish a class. Then start another one. (Well, not anymore--yeah graduation!!!) I give the kids a bath. Two minutes later they smear banana in their hair. :wall: I love my cyclical life, and there's plenty of job security. :-) BUT.........

I knit two rows and nobody undoes it. It is finished. I accomplished something tangible. Not the most important thing I did that day, but I can see it. I need a little linear progress in my life.

Kirstin

vknits
08-13-2006, 01:02 AM
I love to knit because
It was my first attempt at being creative with my hands and even my knitting instructor was amazed that I knit so fast!!
I love making stuff for others and seeing the expression on their faces.
I love making stuff for charity - so that knitting is not just plain pleasure but also a purposeful pleasure.
I am creating something even when I am watching endless hours of television/movies....
I realised why God made man - because He could, just like how I knit stuff just because I can!!!
Creation is power!!!

Lieke
08-13-2006, 05:44 AM
I knit because it's relaxing. When I have to do a lot of studying, I use knitting to relax my mind, so I can study better.

knotmaker
08-13-2006, 08:56 AM
I like to knit because it is relaxing and if I want it can be a challenge ...

mamabeth
08-13-2006, 12:17 PM
It's easy to pick up and take outside to sit with while the kids play, something productive to do while waiting at the doctor's office and whatnot.

iKnot
08-13-2006, 01:24 PM
I love the colors available and the different yarn textures! I can create something so one of a kind even if others have used the same pattern.

newamy
08-13-2006, 01:28 PM
I've been knitting for about 6 months. I do enjoy it or I wouldn't keep doing it. I'm not at all sure why I like it. I do sew occassionally, but I've never turned that into a major hobby though I'm usually pleased with the end result of a sewing project.

I think I like it because it's a puzzle. First there was the puzzle of simply how to do it. Then the puzzle of learning different stitches and combinations of stitches. Then the puzzle of inerpretting patterns. I like mental stimulation. I can tell I'm approaching the need to do more complex and intricate patterns. There is still lots to learn, so I try to pick projects where I think I will learn something to help with future projects. While I'm gradually entering more complex stages of knitting I still like the simple instant gratification of small easy projects too. I do adore dishcloths!

My other major interest is reading. I have been know to read for hours, numerous books in a month. With knitting I can actually converse with my family while I do it. When I read I tune everything out, I literally can't "hear" what is happening around me when I read. Especially if it's a very good book! Sometimes the ability to tune out is a good thing! But I know it's not always good when around my family, I should be more tuned in. When I knit I can keep my brain busy but still carry on a converstation.

I have also discovered the rewarding feeling of giving hand made gifts. Even small gifts are appreciated.

But all in all I find the fact of me knitting quite bizaar. Me crafty??? My mental image of myself is often that of an independent career woman with no interest in domestic things. Yet here I am a mom who works part time with two kids. An ideal day involves a cup of tea a good book, knitting and peace and quiet with my kids not fighting! The career and fast track adventures sound really stressful!

jodstr2
08-13-2006, 04:13 PM
I love color
I love texture
I love creating/anticipating the creation
it's relaxing and calms me down
it's something I can do that doesn't distract my kid while he's doing homework
it's something I can do while sitting with CV and kid that doesn't disturb them
it forces me to slow down and sit down and be still for a few minutes (or hours)
it's something I can do while waiting for kid at tkd
it's something to look forward to at the end of a really crappy day
it can be challenging and fullfilling - when I 'm trying a new technique, like right now, with the chart I created for the illusion scarf and te subsequent results from the chart (almost done!)

knittingdoula
08-14-2006, 02:41 AM
-Because I love color, color, color!

-Because it has prevented me from otherwise killing the people around me!

-Because I love looking at my baby and knowing her warm wooly longies are from ME!

-Because when you have ADD, and this is something you actually finish, it's a massive achievement over your little neurological deficiency.

-Because it helped me through the hardest year of my life.

-Because it's cheaper than a drug and alcohol habit! (Though my amazing husband would argue that it's equally habit-forming.)

-Because it is a tangible symbol of my love for those around me.

Alison

rebecca
08-14-2006, 11:58 AM
I love it! I feel creative. I have something cool (usually!) when I'm done with the project. It's fun! It is the only thing that helps keep my mind off of my pain. It's fun!

Pixywhispers
08-14-2006, 01:11 PM
The adrenaline rush when I complete an item.

Since I can hardly stick with a pattern to save my life, knowing that aything I make is unique.

I love knowing that an item I made with $8 yarn and a pattern would have cost mey $40 to $80 in a boutique.

I love getting to pick colors.

I love being able to look at patterns and think "I can make that."

The feel of the yarn.

Now days I get a high from it all. Even seaming and putting stitches on a stitch holder. (Am I a freak?) I do love the whole process now.

I also love to see my babies appreciating and looking cute in stuff Momma made for them.

Knitlee
08-14-2006, 05:24 PM
After 25 years of trying to find something I am truly good at, I discovered knitting. I love to knit because after being mediocre at many things, I have finally found a true talent; I am a great knitter. (Please excuse my immodesty, but I am pround of my recently found skill) :teehee:

geekgolightly
08-14-2006, 06:43 PM
-Because I love color, color, color!

-Because it has prevented me from otherwise killing the people around me!

-Because I love looking at my baby and knowing her warm wooly longies are from ME!

-Because when you have ADD, and this is something you actually finish, it's a massive achievement over your little neurological deficiency.

-Because it helped me through the hardest year of my life.

-Because it's cheaper than a drug and alcohol habit! (Though my amazing husband would argue that it's equally habit-forming.)

-Because it is a tangible symbol of my love for those around me.

Alison

:muah:

Kaylee Chenille
08-16-2006, 12:00 AM
Because I can keep a different project for every month of the year and several smaller project all over the house and it doesn't take up any room (though sitting on needles can hurt)

Plus there's the overlooked major side bonus: People see you in public with a 14" 3US metal knitting needle and they don't mess with you!

Liliyarn
08-16-2006, 12:34 AM
No1. I love the historical aspect. No one needs to knit and it is often cheaper not to knit, just buy something made by a machine. Yet we do. I do it because I feel like I'm touching living history. Which is why I also love spinning. It is an art that I don't want to die.

No2. I'm simply awed that string can become something more. I often wonder who in the world thought this up? Who made basic stitches, who thought of cables, how they came upon the idea. Was it trial and error? Or a lucky mistake that brought all the great stitches and tecniques to us? How did it span the globe and take on many forms?

No3. I just like petting yarn :rofling:

ebrperk
08-16-2006, 05:41 PM
I love knitting because it is so neat that you pull the yarn through loops and you get great amazing things with just two basic stitches. It never ceases to amaze me.

I love the yarn, the relaxation, and the admiration and pride I get from my girls when I ask them who made that and they say Mommy.

Shandeh
08-16-2006, 09:38 PM
When I first started knitting, I just wanted to learn the craft. I've been sewing, and doing embroidery and needlepoint since I was a young girl. I've always been intrigued by textiles, and knitted items have always fascinated me. I think knitting looks much "neater" than crochet. I just wanted to know how to do it.

But, after learning the basics of knitting, I became IMMERSED in the FEEL of the yarn in my fingers, and the satisfaction I felt when completing an item.

Textured knitting and lace has completely captured me now, and I am looking forward to knitting beautiful items for many years. I'm getting closer and closer to being able to make the items that intrigued me in the very beginning. I guess it's like a "quest" or something.

Rhyannon1970
08-17-2006, 08:42 PM
Knitting is like therapy....NO, it's BETTER than therapy!

I am addicted to fibers..love the different textures & colors.

Rhy :heart: :heart: :heart:

chan58
08-18-2006, 11:56 PM
I like knitting because I find it relaxing and very rewarding ;when I have finished something; I look at it and say hey I did that and it has a part of me in it.
:hug:

paah-paah
08-19-2006, 10:18 AM
I learned to crochet first. for MANY long years I thought that I could not knit. I was always amazed by the intricate designs of knitting; cables and multicolored patterns. a couple of years ago I broke down and bought a "self-taught" knitting kit. I am currently working out a way to combine crochet and knitting in one piece without seams (other than the necessary seams along the sides of say a sweater). this is probably nothing new but it keeps me off the streets even if it doesn't keep me out of trouble.
I like the feel and texture of knitting but I also still enjoy my crochet.