PDA

View Full Version : Christening Gown - Latest Photo Page 5

Shandeh
08-13-2006, 12:45 AM
My cousin asked me to make a Christening Gown to use as a sample in her yarn shop Cottage Yarn (http://www.cottageyarninc.com/), so that's been my constant project for the past two weeks. I'm using Berroco Cotton Twist in a beautiful snowy white, and some simple shiny beads from the craft store.

Here's the pattern I'm using:
http://www.geocities.com/jewedyknit/babydress.htm

The back was a challenge for me, because I was doing buttonholes for the first time, and it was difficult to keep the Tiny Bowknot pattern consistent while doing decreases for the armholes.

I enjoyed learning how to add beads on the sleeves. It was hard, but beautiful when finished! :inlove: So far, I've finished the bodice and sleeves, as well as the seaming.

Now, I have picked up the stitches for making the skirt in the round. (There was NO WAY IN HADES I could have used the 16 inch circular for this part. I switched to a 24 inch needle instead.) I inserted a lifeline after knitting a couple rows, and am ready to do the lace pattern.

I tried using the Chevron Lace pattern in the original design, but it doesn't work with the number of stitches you start with. (I think the designer forgot to count the stitches before she started the lace part.)

So, I have decided to use a different, simpler lace pattern instead. It's a 7 stitch multiple called "Lace Wings". I got it in "The Complete Encyclopedia of Stitchery" by Mildred Graves Ryan on page 496. (That book is my Knitting "Bible"!)

Lace Wings Pattern
Row 1: Purl
Row 2: K1, K2 tog, YO, K1, YO, Slip Knit PSSO, K1
Row 3: Purl
Row 4: K2 tog, YO, K3, YO, Slip Knit PSSO
(Of course, in the round, you knit rows 1 and 3)

The original pattern uses a "Chevron Lace Pattern" instead, but it's a bit more complicated, and I don't know how many stitches I should have at the beginning, so....life goes on. I like the Lace Wings pattern better anyway. :wink:

My cousin supplied me with the lovely yarn, as well as a very nice Addi Turbo circular needle! :cheering:

Jenelle
08-13-2006, 01:11 AM
That's going to be GORGEOUS when it's finished Sandy! :inlove: :inlove: :heart:

Shandeh
08-13-2006, 02:03 AM
Thanks Jenelle! I'm very proud of the dress. :-)

knitaholic
08-13-2006, 06:50 AM
Beautiful! Love it!

Knitaholic :heart:

dustinac
08-13-2006, 09:16 AM
That is going to look wonderful!! :cheering: yeah to you for changing it.. why I didn't think of that I don't know lol :shrug: I'm not that brave

I made a dress from her site (for my daughter's Easter dress) and all I had was problems.. had to figure out alot on my own.. when I e-mailed her for help she was very friendly but now the dress I made is no longer on the site... I wondered if the others were wrong too... the # of sts for the skirt never added up either...I had to frog that thing so many times before I just started deciding where the next change should be instead of following the pattern. :wall:

KnittyKitty
08-13-2006, 10:39 AM
That's coming along beautifully! I can't wait to see it all done!

gardenmommy
08-13-2006, 10:50 AM
Isn't that precious! Can't wait to see it all done!

Amber
08-13-2006, 11:11 AM
That's absolutely beautiful!! I can't wait to see it finished!

rebecca
08-13-2006, 11:51 AM
Sandy, it is precious! I can't wait to see the FO!!!
I love the look of your cousin's shop!

AnreeAce
08-13-2006, 12:02 PM
:heart: :heart:

Just beautiful!

Ingrid
08-13-2006, 12:07 PM
I commented how beautifully it's coming along on your blog, but the closeups show how gorgeous it really is. You were worried about the sleeves? Pshaw! They're perfect!!!! :cheering:

Shandeh
08-13-2006, 02:49 PM
Thank you all for all the kind comments. I'm really proud of this dress. I keep thinking that it is my "great work", like Charlotte's egg sack in "Charlotte's Web". :wink:

I keep imagining seeing it on display in the shop. This is so fun! I might just have to keep making things for the shop, because it is so satisfying.

Did you notice in my earlier post that my cousin gave me some Addi Turbo needles? Woo hoo!!! http://bestsmileys.com/excited/3.gif

faerie8
08-13-2006, 02:53 PM
At first i thought that you were modeling it on a real baby, and then i scrolled down the pictures and it scared the crap out of me!

*phew!* Other than that, very nice job... :thumbsup:

Shandeh
08-13-2006, 03:01 PM
Sorry for the scare! That's one of the dolls I bought when my hubby and I thought about doing Reborn dolls. I don't think we'll be doing that any time soon - SO labor-intensive!

So, I'm using the doll to model the knitting I do for babies. She's a good model!

Jan in CA
08-13-2006, 05:29 PM
That is lovely, Sandy!! :thumbsup:

gimmesanity
08-13-2006, 09:06 PM
Sooo pretty!! I love it!

Your baby doll, on the other hand, is kinda scary... :help:

Elza_B
08-13-2006, 10:03 PM
OMG! That's so pretty! :yay:

The doll kinda freaked me out a bit. When I was small, my mom wouldn't let me sleep with my doll because she said if I did, the doll would take over my soul. I never played with dolls ever since. :verysad:

Shandeh
08-14-2006, 12:14 AM
OMG! Your mom sounds kinda scary now!
:?eyebrow:

Shandeh
08-14-2006, 12:24 AM
I made a dress from her site (for my daughter's Easter dress) and all I had was problems.. had to figure out alot on my own.. when I e-mailed her for help she was very friendly but now the dress I made is no longer on the site... I wondered if the others were wrong too... the # of sts for the skirt never added up either...I had to frog that thing so many times before I just started deciding where the next change should be instead of following the pattern. :wall:

I feel your pain. :grrr:

I think she only posts patterns that she doesn't want to proofread. I've had lots of problems too. So many times, I have felt all alone, without any guidance during the knitting. I've had to keep up with the buttonhole stitches, lace pattern, decreasing, short rows, and selvedge stitches without ANY reminders. What a pain! :eyes:

I'd never even HEARD of selvedge stitches before, and she didn't explain them at all. My internet was down at the time, so I spent about an hour searching through my knitting books until I finally found a good explanation of selvedge stitches in my copy of the "Big Book of Knitting" by Katharina Buss, on pages 26 and 27. I feel sorry for the average knitter who doesn't have the internet or reference books!

My cousin is planning on using this pattern for a class in October. I think I'll re-write it and let her use my "revised" version instead, with row by row descriptions as needed. I'll even go so far as to include instructions on doing short rows and selvedge stitches. Imagine that! :roll:

faerie8
08-14-2006, 11:00 AM
:cheering: Can you post a pattern for those hats? The red hat! The red hat! :yay:

kemp
08-14-2006, 11:03 AM
That gown is going to be stunning!

Shandeh
08-14-2006, 01:16 PM
:cheering: Can you post a pattern for those hats? The red hat! The red hat! :yay:

It came from the Lion Brand website. It's the Preemie hat, made with Microspun yarn. The yarn color I used was Coral.

Here's a link to the pattern, but you'll have to enter your name and address and all that junk. I'm so mad that they did that to the website. It used to be so much easier to look at their patterns!!! :!!!:

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/kms-preemieHat.html

faerie8
08-14-2006, 01:27 PM
:!!!: YOU KNOW WHAT?! I SIGNED UP AND THEY NEVER SENT ME THE CONFIMATION LETTER!! AND ITS ANNOYING!! AHHH! :grrr:

Oh yes. Thank ya. :D

faerie8
08-14-2006, 01:28 PM
I am very disturbed to report that even Lionbrand has freaky baby dolls. :thud:

Shandeh
08-14-2006, 01:29 PM
That gown is going to be stunning!

I hope so, Kemp! I really like the lace pattern I am using for the skirt, although it is a bit more lacy and open than the original design.

I'll probably end up lining the skirt with a nice shiny satin or polyester fabric.

Shandeh
08-14-2006, 01:35 PM
I am very disturbed to report that even Lionbrand has freaky baby dolls. :thud:

You think THOSE dolls are freaky? Check out THIS (http://cgi.ebay.com/REBORN-LEE-MIDDLETON-HEBBS-HONEYS-MEET-KERRY-OARB_W0QQitemZ270016599099QQihZ017QQcategoryZ48921 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) one!

Shandeh
08-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Here's another one that just looks TOO real to me!

TOO REAL NEWBORN DOLL! (http://cgi.ebay.com/OARB-REBORN-SHEILA-MICHAEL-SOLD-OUT-LE-500-RDAC_W0QQitemZ330017244048QQihZ014QQcategoryZ48921 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

faerie8
08-14-2006, 01:39 PM
:shock: Oh my gosh.

That will be in my nightmares.

faerie8
08-14-2006, 01:39 PM
AHH! AHH! Stop it! AHH!

Shandeh
08-14-2006, 01:41 PM
I am always amazed at how real those Reborn dolls look. The artists make big bucks on eBay with them, though.

Amber
08-14-2006, 01:52 PM
OMG! That doll you posted the link to, Sandy... :shock: :thud:

For a moment there I thought maybe the seller had posted a pic of a real baby. That is one real looking doll!! Can you imagine if someone brought that doll out in public. I can totally see people freaking out because the "baby" isn't breathing and calling 911 or something.

Shandeh
08-14-2006, 02:49 PM
I know! OMG, it would totally blow my mind to touch it and feel the cold plastic skin.
:out:

Ellen Edwards
08-14-2006, 05:11 PM
I LOVE babies-- :muah: :hug: but AAAAAACCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK! I HATE those skeery baby dolls!! :!!!: Doesn't anyone understand that we don't WANT a baby doll that looks that much like a real baby---it's a PLAYTHING!! :wall:

Shandeh
08-14-2006, 08:54 PM
I've heard that some people use them for remembering a deceased baby. Morbid-sounding, I know, but it happens. They have them made to look just like their baby did.

Shandeh
08-16-2006, 04:06 AM
I've been working on the Christening Gown every spare moment, and the skirt is now about 6 inches long. It shouldn't take that long to finish it!

The lace pattern is SO easy, and goes very fast! :X:

Shandeh
08-16-2006, 03:43 PM
Here's a photo of my progress on the Christening Gown. I'm adding a lifeline on a knit row occasionally, just in case the lace goes weird on me.

So far, I've done about 5 inches of the skirt. The pattern calls for 15 inches, so I'm a third of the way there! I might decide to make it longer. Time will tell.

alicia
08-17-2006, 04:12 PM
I am soooo in love with that gown- it is a thing of beauty!
The only bad thing is, now I 've got an idea that maybe I should knit my son's christening gown for October- ACK!
Probably won't happen though- it is difficult to get any knitting done with a 4 month old and a 3 year old... in fact, the 3 yr old is hanging on me while I type and the 4 monthold is crying...gotta go!
Amazing work.... really...

Shandeh
08-17-2006, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the compliment!

Bless your heart, dealing with little ones. I've been there. It's a lot of work, but so rewarding. I miss the days of sitting with my little boys, reading them stories or playing games on the floor.

Can you sew? I bet you could sew a christening gown pretty quickly.

alicia
08-18-2006, 08:41 AM
I actually sewed a christening gown for my first with the help of 2 dear friends. But, the gown is very girly, complete with pink bows and pink flowers on the skirt- which is not terribly appropriate for a sweet lil' boy. But, I do have a 3 peice tux for him to wear- a hand me down from his cousin who wore it to his parents wedding. It is very cute!

When I told DH I was thinking about knitting a gown- he told me I was nuts! (plus, the tux is his nephews- so that could be a hornet's nest!)

faerie8
08-18-2006, 09:54 AM
A crocheted christening gown would be very pretty. And it took me longer to learn how to knit than it took for me to learn how to crochet.

alicia
08-18-2006, 11:46 AM
That is a lovely expression on my sweet lil' girl isn't it? :teehee:

Sorry, don't know how to crochet... yet! I just got SNB crochet, so maybe when I've got a couple minutes to sit and look at it I will learn. Until then, must knit (and knit). Christmas will be here before you know it!

Carolina red- having little ones is the best! it can be tough but, you have to laugh! it's all you can do sometimes!

BTW, Amen to all who think those babies are creepy... my babies never looked like that... they were too chubby :rofl:

Buddha_Mom
08-18-2006, 03:48 PM
Pretty! its gorgeous!! i cant wait to see the picture of it on the baby!!!

Shandeh
08-18-2006, 04:00 PM
I actually sewed a christening gown for my first with the help of 2 dear friends. But, the gown is very girly, complete with pink bows and pink flowers on the skirt- which is not terribly appropriate for a sweet lil' boy. But, I do have a 3 piece tux for him to wear- a hand me down from his cousin who wore it to his parents wedding. It is very cute!

When I told DH I was thinking about knitting a gown- he told me I was nuts! (plus, the tux is his nephews- so that could be a hornet's nest!)

Well, if I were you, I'd let him wear the tux. It sounds so cute! (and it would keep peace in the family.) :heart:

Shandeh
08-18-2006, 04:02 PM
Pretty! its gorgeous!! i cant wait to see the picture of it on the baby!!!

I don't have a baby to put it on. I'm making it as a sample for my cousin's yarn store.

I think I'd be afraid to put it on a real baby before I deliver it to her. With my luck, the baby would have an accident from both ends! :roll:

Shandeh
08-20-2006, 10:43 PM
8 inches done on the skirt now! :happydance:

Elza_B
08-20-2006, 11:08 PM
It's so beautiful!! That's a fine work there!

tmsl
08-21-2006, 09:36 AM
Just Beautiful!!! :notworthy:

Laura

Amber
08-21-2006, 09:51 AM
Wow, Sandy, it's looking just beautiful!!

KnittyKitty
08-21-2006, 10:44 AM
Sandy that's so beautiful! :inlove: You are truly talented!

Lisa

SandraEllen
08-21-2006, 01:53 PM
:inlove: How Beautiful.....

faerie8
08-21-2006, 10:42 PM
WHOOP! :cheering:

Shandeh
08-28-2006, 07:02 AM
Thank you, my friends! You are so encouraging! :hug:

Now, I have finished about 12 inches on the skirt, so I decided to run a string through the stitches before I bind them off to see if it's long enough. I think it looks pretty good!

I'll take it to my cousin's yarn store today, and get her approval. If I need to make it any longer, I'll need another skein of Cotton Twist.

When I finish completely, I'll need to sew a lining underneath the skirt, because the lace is so open. I am VERY happy with how it has turned out!

KnittyKitty
08-28-2006, 09:01 AM
:cheering: :cheering: Excellent job! Your cousin will be thrilled! I bet you'll get some orders in too!

lucilia90
08-29-2006, 12:42 PM
Your photos look amazing! I am actually attempting to make this for my niece's christening but reading through the instructions...I'm already confused. :wall: The shaping for the armhole (for the front)...says "work even for 2 1/2 inches"...is that correct? Any advice?

:?? Lucy

Shandeh
08-29-2006, 02:42 PM
The pattern is WAY confusing!!!! I did finally make the top through the armholes, but it took EVERY BIT of my brainpower to accomplish it. She just leaves you hanging there, without any reminders at all.

The 2 1/2 inches is correct. You just have to make the right back first, and you'll see how it lines up beside it.

Right now, I'm working on making a "row by row" version of the pattern.

I mentioned this earlier, but just to let you know....I did a COMPLETELY different skirt than what she has in the pattern. Her stitch count didn't match up with the number of stitches required for the pattern. Weird!

I ended up using a Lace Wings pattern for the skirt. MUCH easier, and I think it's prettier too!

lucilia90
08-30-2006, 11:35 AM
Thanks for all your helpful information. :notworthy:

Shandeh
08-30-2006, 12:18 PM
You're very welcome, my friend! :hug:

My cousin said that she is very happy with the length of the gown, so I'll be binding off stitches tonight! :happydance:

Now, I just have to go to the store to find some matching buttons, and add a ribbon at the waistline. Then, I'll be DONE!
:cheering:

Amber
08-30-2006, 01:57 PM
Gorgeous, Sandy, absolutely gorgeous!! :notworthy:

janelanespaintbrush
08-30-2006, 02:12 PM
:yay: It's just stunning -- fit for a princess!

Tammy6071
08-30-2006, 04:24 PM
Gorgeous!!!! :thumbsup: :muah: :muah:

kemp
08-30-2006, 04:38 PM
Gorgeous!!! :inlove:

mks22300
08-30-2006, 06:36 PM
Oh wow Sandy! It's beautiful!! :heart:

Shandeh
08-31-2006, 12:17 AM
Thank you all so much! I took a chance by trying out a new lace pattern, and it worked out in the end. I'm so relieved!

I've already started planning what I want to knit next. Something for ME this time!
:woohoo:

Mama Bear
08-31-2006, 11:34 AM
Very lovely!

Mama Bear

married2lo
08-31-2006, 02:58 PM
wow, it's beautiful!

Shandeh
09-04-2006, 12:45 AM
Today, I added the buttons, and started sewing in a lining. I feel like I'm making a dress for a baby princess!

KnittyKitty
09-04-2006, 06:01 PM
:inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

BinkyKat
09-04-2006, 07:02 PM
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Super duper fabulous gorgeous and awesome!
A christening gown is what I consider my pinnacle of knitting nirvanna I want to acheive for myself. I would so love to make an heirloom for my hubby and I to have on hand for any kiddos that may come along.
Sadly, some sort of "family disagreement" has developed with the family baptismal gown that was eventually supposed to go to the oldest grand-daughter (me) and somehow that is not the case. My mother is at odds with her brother (the gown has been with his family since his last child and now is with my cousin and his wife - not a good thing) and my mom is so dismayed. Soooo, since I feel I am capable of many things and I really feel it would be a wonderful feat to make my own.

Man, I hope I didn't bring down the whole happy joy of this thread... :wall:

YAY Sandy, I am in uber awe of your talent!!!! can't wait to see pics of the precious babe that gets to wear it! :cheering: :cheering:

Jan in CA
09-04-2006, 07:27 PM
:inlove: :inlove: Gorgeous!!

Shandeh
09-04-2006, 07:44 PM
A christening gown is what I consider my pinnacle of knitting nirvanna I want to acheive for myself. I would so love to make an heirloom for my hubby and I to have on hand for any kiddos that may come along.

You can do it! I used a free pattern I found online, and changed the skirt to an easier lace pattern. It wasn't that bad at all, and only took a month total. I am really proud of it. It's now on display in my cousin's yarn shop, and I have a credit for free goodies there! :happydance:

I might decide to make another one to pass down in my family. Like you, I considered a Christening Gown to be a "great work". I'm truly proud to see it happen with my own hands!

gardenmommy
09-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Gorgeeousness! I'm so glad the model was one that would NEVER urp on it!

Shandeh
09-10-2006, 04:15 AM
The gown has been delivered to my cousin's yarn store, and she already has a photo on the website for the October class!

Christening Gown Class (http://www.cottageyarninc.com/ClassDescription/October%20Projects/Knitted%20infant%20christening%20gown.htm)

jamadian75
09-10-2006, 12:48 PM
:notworthy: :notworthy:

Outstanding Sandy! You should be REALLY proud of that FO.

Shandeh
09-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Thanks Marce! I am so proud. :hug:

jberry16
09-10-2006, 02:31 PM
That is beautiful, you should be VERY proud of yourself. I can't wait to see it on the baby!