PDA

View Full Version : My Scarf is on a "roll"

laurafran
08-16-2006, 07:32 AM
I'm a beginner, first off, and I'm knitting a scarf doing 1 purl row 1 knit row, and the thing keeps rolling inwards. I hate it. The stitch looks beautiful though.... How can I just go on doing what I'm doing but keep it from rolling like that?

Since I knit the first 4 rows, I think that's where the problem is, so further up I purled 4 rows.... to see if that adds some balance. Then again, it looks great but it doesn't help a bit :doh:

Help!

Laura.

IrishKnitter
08-16-2006, 07:56 AM
Hi Laura,

First of all--I'm a beginner too! That's the only reason I know this...b/c I just recently discovered it myself. :teehee:

Anyways, when you alternate a row of knitting with a row of purling, it's called stockinette stitch. It's great for sweaters and other things that you need round, because (as you saw) it rolls inward.

To keep your scarf flat, either do garter stitch (knit every row), or do some kind of alternating pattern IN EACH ROW. For example, K2, P2, K2, P2, etc.

Over in the "How to Questions" forum, there's a post at the top called "How to keep your stockinette from curling" or something similar to that.

Phew! Hope that all helps!! :waving:

suzeeq
08-16-2006, 08:57 AM
Yep, stockinette stitch (k 1 row, p 1 row) rolls. No matter what. For a scarf, you can do the ends in garter stitch (k every row ) for 4-8 rows, then make sure at least 4 stitches on each side are in garter as well. That helps. To do that, you'd just knit across on the knit row, then k4, purl across to the last 4 stitches, k 4. Or however many stitches you want for the edges.

sue