PDA

View Full Version : We Call Them Pirates hat. faire isle

geekgolightly
08-17-2006, 04:30 PM
this hat (http://www.helloyarn.com/wecallthempirates.htm) http://www.helloyarn.com/piratehat.jpg
is too cool for me to pass up. i've never done faire isle before but everyone says to just go for it, so i'm going to attempt it. does anyone want to join me?

geekgolightly
08-17-2006, 04:36 PM
the dale of norway hauk yarn suggested is sport weight 100% wool with a teflon coating for water/snow resistance! huh. ill probably just use that and will need to order it, so im going to give a start date of september 1. that way people have enough time to order this yarn (5 bucks a skein, total of two keins needed) and receive it.

beckyrhae
08-17-2006, 08:41 PM
My knitting instructor keeps telling me to just try fair isle... this hat is tempting. I have a ton of things to knit right now, but this may just be my first attempt at fair isle.

Amber
08-17-2006, 09:29 PM
I really like this hat too, and would like to make one for my ds who is really into pirates. The only thing I'm worried about --well, I've never done fair isle before, so I'm worried about that! :wink: -- but, the only other thing is the size. I guess I'd need to play with the gauge or try shrinking it in the dryer... I wonder how well that works???

I'm getting ready to start another big project right now, so I might start this a bit later than Sept. 1, but I'd like to join you!

geekgolightly
08-18-2006, 12:32 AM
becky you know you should just go for it! people fussed at me to try and im gonna. :cheering:

amber ill forge on ahead and attempt it and then when you can come in and hopefully there will be ideas and suggestions that you need already here. :muah:

geekgolightly
08-18-2006, 12:33 AM
ps becky you have chow yun fat in your avatar! i heart him so so much. i crushed on him BAD in the 90's

Liliyarn
08-18-2006, 02:40 AM
Yes! Glad we could talk you into it. This hat is on my "to do" list, but I promised myself I'd do the Lexi purse and Sabine scarf first. I already have the yarn for them. But, please share photos of your progress!

beckyrhae
08-18-2006, 03:23 AM
ps becky you have chow yun fat in your avatar! i heart him so so much. i crushed on him BAD in the 90's

Thanks Geek... I just love him. My husband is well aware of the fact that I will leave him when CYF knocks on my door someday. LOL

Did you hear he is in the next Pirates movie? Johnny, Orlando and Chow all on the same screen... I've died and gone to beefcake heaven.

geekgolightly
08-18-2006, 10:16 AM

Thanks Geek... I just love him. My husband is well aware of the fact that I will leave him when CYF knocks on my door someday. LOL

Did you hear he is in the next Pirates movie? Johnny, Orlando and Chow all on the same screen... I've died and gone to beefcake heaven.

im gonna faint.... its just too much yummyness for one screen YAY!

spooky
08-18-2006, 08:58 PM
Oh I love love love that hat !!!! Do you think a 26 year old man would wear it? I don't know what to get my brother for Christmas lol.

Amber
08-18-2006, 10:01 PM
Oh I love love love that hat !!!! Do you think a 26 year old man would wear it? I don't know what to get my brother for Christmas lol.

Well, I think if I were a 26 year old guy, I would like it! LOL.

Okay, I've been trying to figure out the sizing. I emailed hello yarn to ask how much it would shrink in the dryer and they said only about 1/2 inch.

My son's head is 19", so do you think it would work if I did 3 pattern repeats on larger needles???

geekgolightly
08-18-2006, 11:15 PM

im 36 and i love it!

geekgolightly
08-18-2006, 11:23 PM

Well, I think if I were a 26 year old guy, I would like it! LOL.

Okay, I've been trying to figure out the sizing. I emailed hello yarn to ask how much it would shrink in the dryer and they said only about 1/2 inch.

My son's head is 19", so do you think it would work if I did 3 pattern repeats on larger needles???

im still really new to knitting, so i cant go on experience to answer, but since her model has a 23" head and the pattern measures 21", wouldn't you actually want a 17" hat for the 19" head?

also, are you measuring not around the forehead directly to the back of the head, but "measured where the base of the hat sits" so if you look at the picture you would measure from the forehead all the way down to the nape of the neck and around that way.

you could swatch up some fingering weight yarn adn see if that will work. if you like, ill help you sort the maths. i would love it if you joined me in this endeavour!

also, if your sons head is 19" the way its measured, and you do need an approx 17" hat, , that means, you need to cut out about 4". paring downt he pattern repeat to 3 rather than 4 means youre losing over 5." bumping up needle size might work, but will it make the hat less warm? thats where we need experts in here.

ingrid! hilde! we need you!

Amber
08-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Well, I received another email from Adrian at hello yarn and she suggested knitting 3 chart repeats using worsted weight yarn @ a gauge of about 5 sts/inch. I have to say she has been super sweet and helpful!! :D

Anyway, now I just need to find a good worsted weight yarn. I'm thinking about Mission Falls 1824 Wool (http://www.yarnmarket.com/yarn/Mission_Falls_Yarn-1824_Wool_Yarn-2501.html). Anyone happen to be familiar with it or have any other recommendations for a good, soft worsted weight wool?

I think I'm going to place an order for my yarn and try to start soon! I'm so excited to try fair isle. And, what's one more project on the needles anyway, right??

geekgolightly
08-20-2006, 10:40 AM
Well, I received another email from Adrian at hello yarn and she suggested knitting 3 chart repeats using worsted weight yarn @ a gauge of about 5 sts/inch. I have to say she has been super sweet and helpful!! :D

Anyway, now I just need to find a good worsted weight yarn. I'm thinking about Mission Falls 1824 Wool (http://www.yarnmarket.com/yarn/Mission_Falls_Yarn-1824_Wool_Yarn-2501.html). Anyone happen to be familiar with it or have any other recommendations for a good, soft worsted weight wool?

I think I'm going to place an order for my yarn and try to start soon! I'm so excited to try fair isle. And, what's one more project on the needles anyway, right??

adrian has really nice yarn too. i want to get some! xxx im glad shes been helpful with you.

i think the knit picks swish is soft, but it seems to be almost a light worsted. i dont know if that will be good for you or not. its thinner than encore's worsted in any case. ive never tried the mission falls.

i ordered my needles from jeff. an excuse to get more addis! :rofl:

Amber
08-20-2006, 11:08 AM
i think the knit picks swish is soft, but it seems to be almost a light worsted. i dont know if that will be good for you or not. its thinner than encore's worsted in any case. ive never tried the mission falls.
Swish is pretty soft. I'm making a sweater with it now. I think it is light worsted, but the main problem is that they don't have a white or natural color!! What's up with that?! :-x

i ordered my needles from jeff. an excuse to get more addis! :rofl::teehee:

I have to admit, one of the main reasons I was hoping to find some yarn at Knit Picks is that there are a couple of other things I've been wanting to order from them (some sz 0 dpns and a needle sizer) -- so I was looking for an excuse to place an order! Ah well, it seems silly to order those things on their own, especially since I don't really need them right now, so I'll just wait until next time.

geekgolightly
08-20-2006, 11:09 PM
you think this one would be swish but listed as a "bare" for hand dying?
http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/itemid_5420148/yarn_display.aspx

Amber
08-21-2006, 01:27 AM
Hmmm. The gauge is a little different. Swish is 4-4.5 sts/inch and the Bare is 4.5-5 sts/inch. That's really frustrating...

Thanks for the suggestion though! I never would have thought to look at their undyed yarn!

There is the Andean Silk. That might work, and it would definitely be soft!

Amber
08-22-2006, 10:44 AM
Okay, I ordered my yarn! :happydance: I decided to go with the Andean Silk from Knit Picks in "Pitch" and "Cream."

The superwash would have been nice since the hat is for my ds who is more likely to get the hat dirty, but the Andean Silk is a nice yarn. I actually made a hat for my Dad out of Andean Silk not too long ago.

Anyway, now I can't wait for my yarn to get here (and the few other goodies I got for myself :teehee: )!!

geekgolightly
08-22-2006, 11:46 PM
Okay, I ordered my yarn! :happydance: I decided to go with the Andean Silk from Knit Picks in "Pitch" and "Cream."

The superwash would have been nice since the hat is for my ds who is more likely to get the hat dirty, but the Andean Silk is a nice yarn. I actually made a hat for my Dad out of Andean Silk not too long ago.

Anyway, now I can't wait for my yarn to get here (and the few other goodies I got for myself :teehee: )!!

HAHA we're both peeking in our mailbox hourly. knit knit knitting stuff is coming! :cheering: :happydance:

i did a few rows of continental adn can tell that if i get the hang of it, i wont knit english again. its fast!

Amber
08-23-2006, 09:48 AM
i did a few rows of continental adn can tell that if i get the hang of it, i wont knit english again. its fast!

Are you planning to try the Fair Isle two-handed? I was just watching Amy's video, trying to decide how I want to do it -- and I'm not sure! The two-handed method looks like it would be fastest and easiest, once you get the hang of it, but I've never knit English before so I'm afraid my tension would be all wonky. :help:

geekgolightly
08-24-2006, 09:01 AM

Are you planning to try the Fair Isle two-handed? I was just watching Amy's video, trying to decide how I want to do it -- and I'm not sure! The two-handed method looks like it would be fastest and easiest, once you get the hang of it, but I've never knit English before so I'm afraid my tension would be all wonky. :help:

yeah, thats why i was going to try, but my tension is all wonky. im still practicing but not holding out too much hope that i can get it down in time. i want to learn it bc already its faster to knit continental, but my stitches are uneven

Amber
08-31-2006, 04:03 PM
Well, I got my yarn!! :happydance: Have you received yours yet geek?

I'll probably start swatching today or tomorrow, and then I need to figure out how to do a provisional cast-on since I've never done one before. :shock:

I'm so excited to start this project!!

:cheering:

geekgolightly
09-05-2006, 07:42 AM
no i havent gotten my yarn yet. i should go ahead and get it now. i got involved in making the via diagonale (http://www.knitty.com/issuespring05/PATTviadiagonale.html), but i can definitely do both at once! i just this minute ordered the hauk yarn. AHHH more yarn!

Amber
09-05-2006, 12:02 PM
no i havent gotten my yarn yet. i should go ahead and get it now. i got involved in making the via diagonale (http://www.knitty.com/issuespring05/PATTviadiagonale.html), but i can definitely do both at once! i just this minute ordered the hauk yarn. AHHH more yarn!
I love that pattern! I want to make that one of these days.

Well, I've had a slight set-back. I ordered some 60" cables for my Options needles from Knit Picks. I was planning to try magic loop knitting for the hat -- but the cable ends are defective or something because my needles won't go on! :( So, I have to call Knit Picks today to get them to send me replacement cables.

Oh well, it sounds like since you just ordered your yarn, we may be starting at the same time anyway. :thumbsup: I've got a couple of other projects in the works too. I've just started the sleeves on a sweater I'm working on, and I recently ordered some Malabrigo and the Lucy bag pattern. :cheering: I can do the hat at the same time though -- it'll just be a little slower going.

ETA: I just got off the phone with Knit Picks and new 60" cables are on their way! :cheering: I LOVE Knit Picks -- their customer service is the best!!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-06-2006, 07:27 PM
Vendie (fibergirl) is knitting the matching mittens (http://www.helloyarn.com/piratemittens.htm) for the September KAL, so that means the hat counts too!! :yay:

geekgolightly
09-08-2006, 10:19 AM
Vendie (fibergirl) is knitting the matching mittens (http://www.helloyarn.com/piratemittens.htm) for the September KAL, so that means the hat counts too!! :yay:

i just saw that shes a fast knitter!

well i got my yarn today. right now i am strugfgling like mad over my first sweater. :??: i also need to tink a round of the via diagonale. :pout:

i want to get over this hump, which will probably be monday and then i can swatch for the hat!! stranded knitting here i come! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

geekgolightly
09-18-2006, 08:44 PM
ive totally abandoned this project and its talk like a pirate day tomorrow!

i must do my christmas gifts though. a clapotis, a wrap sweater and a beaded shawl. i know it will take me this entire time to sort it all.

anyone who oiucks this up, i will be back after christmas to tackle it, or when i finish my gifts whichever comes first.

and then im knittin this fabulous hat

Amber
09-18-2006, 10:53 PM
I'm going to start soon -- aaaarg matey!

I'm still waiting on my cable from KP. They sent me a replacement -- and that one didn't work either!! So, they're sending another!

I'll post here with progress -- and anyone who'd like to join me, please jump in!!

geekgolightly -- I totally know how that is to have a bunch of projects vying for your attention and only so many hours in the day! It sounds like you've got some great things planned for Christmas!

Amber
10-19-2006, 04:01 PM
I've finally started on this!!!

I couldn't "get" the provisional cast-on, so I just did a few rows of 2x2 ribbing at the bottom and then started with the skulls on row 10 of the chart. I figured this would work better for my ds anyway, since I think the hat would end up too tall if I don't cut out some of the rows.

Here's a progress photo:
http://www.knittingnelly.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/skull_hat_wip.JPG

I'm actually quite a bit past this point now. I think I may only do two rows of the skulls and then start the decreases. I'll have to check the fit on my ds to see if that'll be tall enough.

Amber
10-25-2006, 12:52 AM
I finished! :happydance:

http://www.knittingnelly.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/wecallthempirates.JPG

More info on my blog (http://www.knittingnelly.com).

humblestumble
10-31-2006, 01:37 AM
Awesome!!!! I must knit this once I am done with Holiday projects! Argh...

Amber
10-31-2006, 10:59 AM
Thanks Angela! You should definitely make one -- it was fun!