PDA

View Full Version : FO - Lots of Options Top

DotMom61
08-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Finally, an FO. This is Sally Melville's Lots of Options Top from The Knit Stitch. The yarn is Classic Elite Flash, and I'm only moderately pleased with this top. I measured before & during knitting, and it came out about 3" too short *and* it gaps where the buttons are. :grrr: So, I won't be able to wear it w/out a tank or sport bra or something. I have it in the wash right now, and I'm hoping I can convince it to lengthen a bit by blocking it. <sigh> I'm feeling a bit discouraged because I've yet to knit something that I would feel comfortable wearing anywhere.

Anyway, here it is:
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h19/dotmom/Knitting%20FOs/P1050239.jpg[/quote]

itsbecca1979
08-19-2006, 07:58 PM
Wow I really like it! The only gap I could really see was between the top 2 buttons.

gardenmommy
08-19-2006, 09:25 PM
I don't think it looks too short! Let us know how it blocks out!

AnreeAce
08-19-2006, 09:34 PM
Julie, that looks great! :cheering: :cheering:

Gaps... what gaps? :shrug:

Amber
08-19-2006, 09:55 PM
I think it's really pretty! I don't think it's too short either, but if it doesn't block the way you like, I it'll look adorable with a tank underneath.

DotMom61
08-19-2006, 10:23 PM
Well, thanks, everyone. It doesn't look that bad in the picture, but if I ... you know ... actually MOVE in it, well, it gaps.

I posted a pic of it in my blog thread, too, and Ingrid The Wise suggested adding a border to it. A fabulous suggestion. :thumbsup:

rebecca
08-20-2006, 08:44 AM
Ah, I was gonna say border, too!!! Does that mean I'm becoming knitty wise, too?! How exciting!!
I really like it, I think it looks really nice on you, too.
But, if you aren't comfortable in it, I understand what you mean. What about tacking it down in the area where it gaps when you move, could this work, do you think?

Debbie
08-20-2006, 09:07 AM
Very Pretty ! What page is the pattern on ??? I must be using what we call "boy eyes" when I look through the book because I can't find it!

gimmesanity
08-20-2006, 10:20 AM
I think it looks great!
However, if you're not happy, then tweak it. I was going to suggest a border, too. It shouldn't be too difficult to pick up the stitches on the bottom. Something lacey would look fabulous. As for the gapping, maybe you add snaps in between the button? I dunno if that would be too much, but it may work to keep the gaps under control without too much work, you know?

KnittyKitty
08-20-2006, 11:32 AM
I think it looks really good! It doesn't look to short to my eyes, but its all about how you feel in it.

Lisa

kitkat
08-20-2006, 03:52 PM
I suspect once you block it you will be really happy. My noro sweater looked like it would fit a 10 year old - and once I blocked that puppy into submission, it was great.

critti
08-20-2006, 08:45 PM
I think it looks great! I know how it feels to spend so much time and care on a project, and then it doesn't fit. I don't know if it's problems with patterns, or maybe individual differences in knitting. You could add a border to the bottom to make it longer, if that appeals to you - I've seen knitted vests that have crocheted or knitted borders on the bottom that look pretty good. You might also be able to add a few rows of horizontal ribbing to the front edges, to add a little bit of width. All this assuming, of course, that you have some yarn left over...

I think I've learned from being disappointed with projects that you might have to play with the design a little bit to end up with something you might actually wear. Don't give up - your work is too good to just set your project aside and not get to show it off by wearing it!

Shandeh
08-20-2006, 10:27 PM
Very nice! :thumbsup:

psammeadred
08-20-2006, 10:30 PM
A border or edging would be very pretty, but if you don't like the length of the finished piece, it would also look good over a fall-toned button-down blouse, like a dark teal or burnt orange. (That is, if my monitor is displaying the color correctly, which is a big if!)

Shandeh
08-21-2006, 04:40 AM
Julie, I just noticed something. You have the nicest eyes! :inlove:

They remind me of my hubby's eyes. I always tell him that his eyes are "tootsie roll brown". :)

DotMom61
08-21-2006, 09:59 AM
:aww: Thanks Sandy. :aww:

And, yes, I'm thinking a border, too. I also had a revelation re: the gapping. It may be because the buttons are too heavy for the garment. I might try replacing them w/ a lighter button. These are probably brass or something. I bought them @ Stitches, and I'm pretty sure I paid more for the buttons than the yarn for the whole dang tank top. :grrr: