PDA

View Full Version : Any other clog virgins?

Pixywhispers
08-21-2006, 08:23 PM
I figure with the gift giving seasons coming there may be some other knitters cutting thier teeth on clogs this year. Anyone else ready to take the plunge? I need to make one pair and see how it goes before I decide to make for the whole fam damily. (As my brother would say.)

itsbecca1979
08-21-2006, 08:36 PM
I'm a clog virgin, and at this point really have no desire to change that :P

Sknitter56
08-21-2006, 09:31 PM
I've just finished one clog and couldn't wait to finish the other one before I felted, so I felted the finished one and started the second one yesterday. My finished one turned out great and I'm planning on making lots more for Christmas gifts. I was like everybody else, thinking that the pattern was making no sense at all, but all of a sudden, I could see the clog taking shape. Really fun and quick. Keep the faith and follow the pattern.

mulene
08-21-2006, 09:32 PM
/raise hand. I am a clog virgin. However I don't have the time right now to take the plunge =( I really wanna make em I have the pattern and all!

cindyln
08-21-2006, 11:43 PM
I am working on my 5th pair. All of my family are getting them for Christmas.I love this pattern!!

Pink Dandelion
08-22-2006, 01:58 AM
I've never made any and I've been wanting to try them for over a year now - but I've got too many other projects waiting in line :verysad:

yarnfreak
08-22-2006, 02:21 AM
I've made two pair, and am working on a child's pair now. That one is sucking a little as I don't really have a small enough circular. Oh well, it's still working. LOVE the pattern.

DreamWeaver
08-22-2006, 02:27 AM
I've never make them, but it sounds like lots of fun ^_^

SandraEllen
08-22-2006, 07:12 AM
/raise hand. I am a clog virgin. However I don't have the time right now to take the plunge =( I really wanna make em I have the pattern and all!

I'm with you. :pout: too much other stuff, but i'm itching to start on my clogs. i'm just afraid that if i start something else, my sweater will never get done..

kitkat
08-22-2006, 08:18 AM
I have the pattern and I have yarn to make at least 4 pairs - didnt get to them last year at all. I think once I take the plunge I will be ok.

aylaanne
08-22-2006, 08:21 AM
I'm making them for the first time! Make them with me!

aylaanne
08-22-2006, 08:21 AM
I'm making them for the first time! Make them with me!

PurlyGyrl
08-22-2006, 08:28 AM
:pout: My name is Denise J and yes, I'm a clog virgin. :rofl: I'd love to try them, but I'm kinda afraid they'd turn out like my last pair of socks--WAY TOO BIG. :doh:

aylaanne
08-22-2006, 08:31 AM
:pout: My name is Denise J and yes, I'm a clog virgin. :rofl: I'd love to try them, but I'm kinda afraid they'd turn out like my last pair of socks--WAY TOO BIG. :doh:
Well, the best part about that is that when you felt them, they shrink!!! and you can shrink them as small as you want!!!!!

mulene
08-22-2006, 08:31 AM

Noo its ok because you shrink em in the hot water in the washing machine =D SHRINK TO FIT!

PurlyGyrl
08-22-2006, 08:45 AM
True, they shrink. BUT if its anything like my socks, that's ALOT shrinking! :shock: My socks would fit a Sasquatch! :roflhard:

aylaanne
08-22-2006, 09:33 AM
True, they shrink. BUT if its anything like my socks, that's ALOT shrinking! :shock: My socks would fit a Sasquatch! :roflhard:
They do a LOT of shrinking. Look at people's before and after felting pictures in the FT clogs thread!

Knit it! Knit it! Knit it!

Chel
08-22-2006, 09:41 AM
I don't have a clog pattern. :verysad:

:pout: Someone point me in the right direction.

kitkat
08-22-2006, 09:44 AM
Maybe we need a clog virgin KAL????? Maybe if I have some supprt/inspiration I can get going on these puppies!

XbelovedXoneX
08-22-2006, 11:10 AM
I've always been tempted by the clogs.... but I'm still scared! But then it dawned on my today that these would make a neat christmas gift for my mom & step dad. Hmmm....

JamOKnit
08-22-2006, 11:11 AM
Oooh ooh, me me! I am also a clog virgin. I just ordered the pattern but since I am trying to make everyone something for Christmas this year (easy things!) I probably won't start the clogs until January. Actually, it might be a good idea to ask for the yarn I want for the clogs as my Christmas gift! :teehee:

Chel
08-22-2006, 11:17 AM
But where does one find said clog pattern? :shrug:

Edit: found it... or rather found someone selling it.

yarnfreak
08-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake the clooooooooooooogs. MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE THE CLOOOOOOOOOOOOOGS. You know you wanna. Be one with the paaaaaaaaaaattern. LOL :rofl:

nadja la claire
08-22-2006, 02:42 PM
:waving: Another clog virgin here. I would love to join a clog KAL but I'm doing some other projects right now. Does anyone know how long they take. I gotta get the pattern too.

Nadja xxx

kitkat
08-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Well, KellyK whips them out in about 15 minutes for each clog = they take longer for her to felt than to knit. :notworthy: :notworthy:

I would love to hear how long an average pair takes an average knitter :eyebrow:

rebecca
08-22-2006, 04:11 PM
Virgin! Haven't said that in a year or two :teehee:
I thought about knitting some last year when everyone was making them, but didn't. Now that I know that the bottoms can be made non-skid I will have to have some..I have WOTA waiting for something to do, too...just gotta get the pattern. Then, put it on my very, very, very long list of projects that I have. Goodness, I need to get shawl knitting busy...I have patterns and yarn for 2 or 3 hundred (give or tak :teehee: ).

hedgehog
08-22-2006, 04:32 PM
I just felted my second pair today and they turned out bee-UU-tee-fulll!!

I live far away from a lot of my closest friends (i've moved around a lot) so it's been THE birthday gift for everyone. At roughly $12/pair and lightweight shipping costs (to the UK, even) they've been the ideal pressie this year.

Make 'em! They're so fulfilling for a short-term, cheap project. Big return in the satisfaction stakes!

-hh

nadja la claire
08-22-2006, 04:35 PM
Virgin! Haven't said that in a year or two :teehee:
I thought about knitting some last year when everyone was making them, but didn't. Now that I know that the bottoms can be made non-skid I will have to have some..I have WOTA waiting for something to do, too...just gotta get the pattern. Then, put it on my very, very, very long list of projects that I have. Goodness, I need to get shawl knitting busy...I have patterns and yarn for 2 or 3 hundred (give or tak :teehee: ).

Pray tell dear Rebecca how does one make the clogs non-skid?

Nadja xxx

stitchwitch
08-22-2006, 05:38 PM
Clogs?! :roflhard: I just finished the "squares booties", I don't think I'll be ready for clogs for years! :roflhard:

yarnfreak
08-22-2006, 06:13 PM
It takes me about 3 or 4 days of off and on knitting to make a pair of clogs. It took one day to make a pair of kids clogs. It doesn't take long, there's just a ton of counting. You really need a quiet place to make these. The pattern is so easy that it isn't even funny. Whoever made this pattern needs to win awards all over the place.

rebecca
08-22-2006, 07:30 PM
I am not 100% sure, since I am a clog virgin...we really need to check with one of the clog ho's...I'm pretty sure that they suggested putting puffy paint, you know, fabric paint on the bottom of the clogs.

Debbie
08-22-2006, 07:36 PM
:waving: I am a virgin but planning my first time very soon.... have yarn and pattern... Clogs are going to be my Christmas gifts project !

Ingrid
08-22-2006, 07:39 PM
It takes me about 3 or 4 days of off and on knitting to make a pair of clogs. It took one day to make a pair of kids clogs. It doesn't take long, there's just a ton of counting. You really need a quiet place to make these. The pattern is so easy that it isn't even funny. Whoever made this pattern needs to win awards all over the place.

I agree!! I'm so in awe of someone who can create a pattern that shapes so beautifully.

They really don't take a long time. You just need a quiet place to concentrate for the first one. Once you see where you're going with it, they get easier and easier.

yarnfreak
08-22-2006, 07:52 PM
I decided to experiment with stuff to make them nonskid after I took a wild ride through my kitchen. I used fabric bond glue - OK To Wash It - because I know it's rather tough. (We used it to put a patch on DH combat helmet 8 months ago, and it's still on there.) It dries clear and it's flexy. I just put some dots of it on the bottom of the clog and let it dry. So far so good. It isn't coming off and it's keeping me from sliding. I love being able to use something I already had, too.

Nikki
08-22-2006, 07:55 PM
I learned to knit making clogs. Remeber, felting hides a multitude..... Go for it!
Nikki

ChrissyB
08-22-2006, 08:33 PM
Hello. I just finished my first pair of clogs for my son, and 1 clog for dh. I think it was easier to start with the kids size because it goes very quickly and gives you a gerneral idea for what the pattern is like. I must agree the patterns is very easy! I was a little scared when I bought it cause it looked so complicated! It is definatly not a pattern for on the go knitting, or knitting when a toddler is awake! :roflhard:
I did a search the other day for nonslip slipper soles and found stuff, I think it was called jiffy slip, or jiffy something. :thinking: It seems to be the same stuff that is on the footy part of pajama's, comes in big squares and you can cut and sew it. I think I am going to try it for the clogs I knit for gifts!
Happy clog knitting :muah:

Pixywhispers
08-22-2006, 09:51 PM
I am scared to have to go through the 142 page CLog KAL post. That intimidates me.

Maybe I need to learn how to search it better. :wall:

Does someone have a Cliffs Notes? (I'm serious.)

Ingrid
08-22-2006, 10:08 PM
I don't blame you for not wanting to go through that thread. If you have a question, ask it. You won't be flogged. :teehee:

aylaanne
08-22-2006, 10:30 PM
It took me about four hours to do one clog. Lots of counting. Very satisfying, quick knit!

yarnfreak
08-22-2006, 10:57 PM
would it possible to maybe start a 2006 edition of the FT clog KAL? Just so people don't get all weirded out by the size of the other? It took me 5 days to get through all of those pages. LOL

kitkat
08-23-2006, 09:24 AM
I think the "counting" is why I havent tackled them - I love portable projects for when I am at swim meets - things that dont take alot of counting.

Ingrid
08-23-2006, 09:27 AM
would it possible to maybe start a 2006 edition of the FT clog KAL? Just so people don't get all weirded out by the size of the other? It took me 5 days to get through all of those pages. LOL

I'll lock the old clog thread and call it an Archive, and open a new Knit Along. OK?

VictoiseC
08-23-2006, 10:16 AM
Ohhhhh I bought that pattern last uh April or so and I've been wanting to make these for well over a year. Stubborn Virgin! I just never get around to them. I'd be interested in a KAL.

I hope 'locking' the clog thread doesn't mean we can't read it anymore?

Time to start going through my stash. No idea what yarn I want to use.

Ingrid
08-23-2006, 10:20 AM
Locking just means that no responses can be posted. You can still read it, look and the pictures and use the links. This way all new questions/answers about the clogs are in the new thread.

Pixywhispers
08-23-2006, 10:30 AM
OMG I cant believe it took 5 days! It takes me 5 days to make a bootie or hat. So it might take me a month to get through the archive. HA!

Oh, yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Thanks Ingy!

OK, now I need to go buy the pattern. :)

kemp
08-23-2006, 10:32 AM
They really don't take that long...especially after you've done them once. If anyone needs the pattern just let me know! I have it now along with the children's clog pattern and others.

letah75
08-23-2006, 01:13 PM
I JUST bought the pattern can't wait to start. I read it over, and it doesn't look toooo difficult, just semi-difficult. Thank god for this site and my LYS.

I am hoping to start on a pair next week or so. One for me (muuuahahahaha), then for the "fam dam"

kitkat
08-23-2006, 01:24 PM
I JUST bought the pattern can't wait to start. I read it over, and it doesn't look toooo difficult, just semi-difficult. Thank god for this site and my LYS.

I am hoping to start on a pair next week or so. One for me (muuuahahahaha), then for the "fam dam"

HA! I say that too, "the whole fam damily!"

yarnfreak
08-23-2006, 01:28 PM
I'll lock the old clog thread and call it an Archive, and open a new Knit Along. OK?

Very cool. Thanks.