PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound reasonable??

Josie
08-23-2006, 05:27 PM
I'm starting on a little sweater for my daughter, and since I'm a little stressed about knitting a non-rectangular object that is actually supposed to fit a real live person, I decide to go ahead and actually make a swatch. I casted on with the size 8s that the pattern called for, and didn't make gauge -- too small. So, I tried with a size 9. Still too small. I ended up getting gauge with a size 10. Does this sound reasonable? I'm usually not that far off -- usually I end up having to go up one size, but this yarn is new to me, too -- it's bella colour by plymouth -- a blend of cotton and acrylic and kind of ropey -- not very stretchy like wool is... I think that might also be affecting my gauge, but I wanted to check with all you more experienced knitters out there to make sure that I'm not losing my mind. Thanks, everyone!

jessi_9783
08-23-2006, 06:27 PM
As long as you are getting the gauge it's ok. The needle size recommended in the pattern is just the needle size the designer used to get that particular gauge.

Nikki
08-23-2006, 06:31 PM
I made my DGD a dress from Bella Colour too and found my gauge was off about two needle sizes. I used the two size larger needle and when it was finished, wished I hadn't. Oh it fit her fine, but the fabric wasn't as tight as I would have liked. If I knit that again I'll use the middle size gauge or no.
Nikki

Josie
08-23-2006, 06:51 PM
Thanks, jessi and Nikki -- I went ahead and used the size 10 to get started, and like you said, Nikki -- it's not quite as tight as I would really like it to be, but it does show the pattern well. I'm going to go ahead and knit it on the size 10s, because I'm a little concerned that I wouldn't have enough yarn to finish if I knitted it on the smaller needles and added stitches to get to the correct size. (Plus, I don't feel experienced enough to start altering the pattern just yet!) Hopefully I'll have a FO to show sometime soon -- although it will be awhile before it fits her -- she's only 6 months old and the size I picked was for 9-12 months.

Thanks again for your help!