PDA

View Full Version : How do you prefer to knit sweaters?

Braden
08-25-2006, 09:22 PM
I very much prefer knitting raglan sweaters in the round, but although I do knit flat sweaters sometimes. How do you usually do it?

Ingrid
08-25-2006, 09:25 PM
The sweaters I knit in the round get done a lot faster than the seamed ones. Not the knitting part--the seaming. I can do it just fine, but man, it's hard for me to get motivated. I have two that are waiting for the seaming fairy to come. I think she's avoiding me, so I may have to break down and do it myself. :pout:

Braden
08-25-2006, 09:35 PM
I have two that are sitting here waiting for the seaming fairy to come

LOL thats funny.

Friskums
08-25-2006, 10:57 PM
I've only done two really, but I don't seem (hahahah...) to mind seaming.

When I knit in the round it just feels like it goes so much slower. I know it isn't, and it actually saving me time by not having to seam, but...I don't do as much as quickly.

At least, that's how I feel. :shrug:

EssenceRose
08-25-2006, 11:11 PM
I have a confession to make... I've never knit a sweater!! :oo:

But I suppose if I were going to, I'd knit it in the round because I don't like seaming much either...

Boogs
08-26-2006, 06:01 AM
Top down, in the round, if given the choice - raglan is my fave as I think it just looks better.

suzeeq
08-26-2006, 08:02 AM
In the round, or for cardigans, top down raglan or one piece. I can seam okay, but I'd rather not and it stalls me out most of the time.

sue

knotmaker
08-26-2006, 09:42 AM
I had to choose flat and then seem because I have not knit a sweater in the round yet ... but I think I would perfer that ... :oops:

Holly
08-26-2006, 10:49 AM
Definately in the round! I haven't done many sweaters, but I don't like seaming, and I'm not good at it! My seaming bad experiences have been with things like hats, bags, etc... I probably just need to practice more. However, I :heart: working on a sweater and having it actually look like a sweater while in progress!!

Jan in CA
08-26-2006, 11:44 AM
I'm not a good seamer so I much prefer seamless! :happydance:

Amber
08-26-2006, 12:54 PM
I have two that are waiting for the seaming fairy to come. I think she's avoiding me, so I may have to break down and do it myself. :pout:

Ooooh, if I leave out some milk and cookies will the seaming fairy come to my house??!! :D

Friskums
08-26-2006, 02:31 PM
Ooooh, if I leave out some milk and cookies will the seaming fairy come to my house??!! :D
No, that's Santa. :rofl:

Maybe the seaming fairy is like the tooth fairy in reverse...she wants cash. ;)

Amber
08-26-2006, 03:16 PM
No, that's Santa. :rofl:

Maybe the seaming fairy is like the tooth fairy in reverse...she wants cash. ;)

:rofl: Figures!

There are actually people who you can hire to finish your sweaters, aren't there? I thought I saw an ad somewhere for "Finishing Services" or something like that. It doesn't sound like a very fun job to me.

momwolf
08-26-2006, 05:22 PM
I would rather knit in the round but most sweaters i like are flat :!!!: I hate seaming.I have done a number of sweaters and you would think I would get used to seaming but I don't.I'm hoping all sweater patterns will be written in the round in the future :teehee:

Ingrid
08-26-2006, 06:02 PM
There are people who finish sweaters. I've heard about a local dentist who sends hers out to be finished. I certainly won't spend money on that--well, maybe if I win the lottery and can just knit all day long. Or if I become a dentist.

Friskums
08-26-2006, 06:34 PM
There are people who finish sweaters. I've heard about a local dentist who sends hers out to be finished. I certainly won't spend money on that--well, maybe if I win the lottery and can just knit all day long. Or if I become a dentist.

I'll seam for yarn. :rofl:

suzeeq
08-26-2006, 06:43 PM
I would rather knit in the round but most sweaters i like are flat :!!!: I hate seaming.I have done a number of sweaters and you would think I would get used to seaming but I don't.I'm hoping all sweater patterns will be written in the round in the future :teehee:

You can convert any pattern to knit it in the round...

sue