PDA

View Full Version : Weird increase

cookworm
08-27-2006, 10:32 PM
How do you knit into the front AND the back of a first stitch? Do you knit into the front without taking the stitch off of the needle, twisting the yarn around to knit into the back of the stitch? What kind of increase is this called? :hair:

XbelovedXoneX
08-27-2006, 10:36 PM
Yes, you do " knit into the front without taking the stitch off of the needle, twisting the yarn around to knit into the back of the stitch." It sounds awkward, but after a few times you will get the hang of it!

cookworm
08-27-2006, 10:38 PM
Thanks--I was SO CONFUSED about this--I tried it and it seemed really awkward, and I thought, "This can't be right", and I couldn't a detail or illustration of this increase in any of my books, so I figured I just screwed something up and frogged my work. I really appreciate your input. What's the advantage to knitting into the front and the back of the stitch to increase as opposed to another increase?

BinkyKat
08-27-2006, 11:00 PM
As far as advantages... some increases slant one to the right or left, some increases are meant to create a hole or "eyelet" and some are more snug and don't make a hole. Some are meant for the middle of the row, some for the edge, etc. It kinda depends on the the nature of what you're making... :shrug:

brendajos
08-27-2006, 11:02 PM
for reference there is a video here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/abbreviations_explained/) in the first column labeled K1 F&B.