PDA

View Full Version : Ott light...worth it or no?

caviar
09-04-2006, 09:36 PM
What do you say, folks? Is the Ott light worth the cash? (Especially if you have a condition like poor eyesight or are prone to migraines?)

Kirstin

aylaanne
09-04-2006, 10:24 PM
I don't even know what it is!

BinkyKat
09-04-2006, 10:40 PM
I have an Ott light that I actually got with a 40% off coupon at Michaels.
I haven't used mine yet, but I have a girl friend that uses hers all the time - she does cross stitch and uses one that flips open and sits on her chairside table...she can take it along wherever...
aylaanne...an Ott light is a brand of light marketed for crafters, artists, etc. because it uses flourescent rather than incandescent bulbs for more accurate color view and i guess it's easier on the eyes as well. Like working in daylight

brendajos
09-04-2006, 10:40 PM
i knit in the theatre so getting an Ott light isn't really necessary for me yet! ;) however, my mother has one for her cross stitch and she swears by it....so much so that I am thinking she will get a second one for her other room so she can stitch wherever she likes.

photogirl72
09-04-2006, 10:53 PM
I'd like to get one of those lights too, but I just can't afford it. I personally would hold off until you know you can spare the cash.

orcoastknitter
09-05-2006, 02:37 AM
I just purchased this Ott lamp (http://www.joanns.com/catalog.jhtml;$sessionid$P0SXJGAAABKYUP4SY5NBIHR50 LD3OEPO?CATID=113710&PRODID=130555) from Joann's. I also purchased a similar lamp from First Street Online. Which took over a month to get here and the quality isn't so great. I love my Ott lamp. I was able to purchase it pretty reasonable (50% off).

ChroniclesofYarnia
09-05-2006, 08:52 AM
I got my off the clearance endcap at JoAnn's. It was the floor lamp with the free magnifier, and it was marked down to 99.00. I was able to use a printable 40% off coupon (which doesn't exclude Ott-Lites) and got it for 63.00 after taxes.

I say sell plasma. I don't get headaches after an hour of knitting or reading like I used to, and you can't beat the true color. It's a joy to have.

knitncook
09-05-2006, 09:56 AM
Otts are just flourescent lamps that are sometimes angled differently which is handy for crafters of all kinds. However, we only use flourescent bulbs all through the house (either regular flourescent or compact flourescent). I have a standing lamp that has a "reading light" on the side and I just use that. Cost me around $20 at Target and another $2 for the bulb. :) I'd much prefer more yarn than an expensive light.

Shandeh
09-05-2006, 10:03 AM
I have an old standing reading lamp beside my knitting chair, and I bought the same kind of bulb that you use to replace the burnt out bulbs in the Ott lamp. It works great, and I didn't have to buy the expensive lamp!

cheesiesmom
09-05-2006, 10:13 AM
I bought a lamp similar to the Ott at Sears (on line) and it was half the price. I guess it's old age, but I don't think I could knit in the evening without it. It was a good investment for me.

jodstr2
09-05-2006, 10:19 AM
I got mine 40% off from Joann as well. it's a True Color 24 W floor lamp (http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=113710&PRODID=101661). I :heart: LOVE :heart: it!!!

sara_jayne
09-05-2006, 11:18 AM
I have a small Ott-Lite on my desk for work and a floor lamp by the couch for knitting. The floor lamp is actually a balanced spectrum lamp from First Street Online but it works the same!

I love these lites! :heart: I don't have any eye strain and it really helps with color matching and detail work. I say it is definatley worth it!

cheesiesmom
09-05-2006, 12:32 PM
I bought a lamp similar to the Ott at Sears (on line) and it was half the price. I guess it's old age, but I don't think I could knit in the evening without it. It was a good investment for me.

1to1
09-05-2006, 01:28 PM
I bought this one last year from JoAnn's on-line but can't remember what I paid for it. You have to watch for them to be marked down and with free shipping.

http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=169762&PRODID=138799

Its ok but I doubt I'd buy another one. In the evening I definitely need an overhead light on too.

hellokitty165
09-06-2006, 06:58 PM
i love it ...i got one from my hubby when i do my knitting and quilting ... it worth the money .....

cindyln
09-06-2006, 10:01 PM
I got a generic OTT lite at Big Lots and love it. It makes reading and knitting so easy on the eyes.

cindyln
09-06-2006, 10:02 PM
I got a generic OTT lite at Big Lots and love it. It makes reading and knitting so easy on the eyes.

knitasha
09-07-2006, 12:17 AM
I have two -- a desk model (found on eBay) and a floor lamp (couldn't resist the advertising). I've compared them to compact flourescents and can't see a difference in color perception or reading/knitting ease. What I do love: a ChromaLux full-spectrum bulb in a regular lamp. Not quite as good as daylight but close.

bjc1050
09-07-2006, 08:37 AM
I bought a lamp similar to Ott at Walmart for about $30. I loved it for doing needle crafts, but my dogs knocked over the lamp while playing rough and broke the bulb. Fortunately I found a replacement bulb at Home Depot for $10. I've relocated the lamp next to my computer out of harm's way. It's location is only useful for knitting if I'm knitting at my computer which I sometimes do, but I don't have it for when I'm knitting at night any more. I have replaced the light bulb in the lamp by my nighttime knitting location with a full spectrum type light bulb which is shaped like a regular bulb...much cheaper than Ott bulbs.

mwedzi
09-07-2006, 04:07 PM
That's what I have been thinking. I mean, the benefit is from the bulb, not out of the lamp itself, right? I mean, can't you just buy true color flourescents and screw them into any fixture? I use mostly flourescents, too, and know they sell those somewhere because I used to always be in the bulb section looking for the right bulbs for my african violets. There are all kinds, tnatural light, warm, cool, "plant" lights and so forth and so on.

quote="knitncook"]Otts are just flourescent lamps that are sometimes angled differently which is handy for crafters of all kinds. However, we only use flourescent bulbs all through the house (either regular flourescent or compact flourescent). I have a standing lamp that has a "reading light" on the side and I just use that. Cost me around $20 at Target and another $2 for the bulb. :) I'd much prefer more yarn than an expensive light.[/quote]