View Full Version : Knitting with Linen

09-05-2006, 06:58 AM
Since I started knitting I have learned so much from you guys regarding yarns, but one I haven't heard much about is linen. I am looking at completing a pattern which calls for linen yarn. What should I look for/expect in a good linen yarn? What is the typical care for linen? What should I expect from wear and tear? Does it shrink like wool? Stretch and "give up" like some cottons?

09-05-2006, 12:08 PM
Wow.. No takers? Okay... what could I use instead of linen? I am not sure what linen yarn might feel like so I am not sure what might be comparable. I am kinda thinking fingering weight cotton...

09-05-2006, 01:16 PM
If you soak and wash it first, it will bloom and your gauge will be right on. If you don't wash it first, you have to knit a swatch then wash it, to get your gauge. What looks like a thin yarn will look different after you wash.

The stuff is almost indestructible. Wash and dry-to almost dry. The more you wash the better it feels.

If you knit a lace or a more open gauge your hands will thank you. There is NO give!

There is no Stretching.

There is no shrinking.

left over yarn, makes GREAT dish cloths!!!!!

I like the way it drapes.

When I am knitting with it I alway have a second project on the needles in wool.
Try it, you might like it. I am slowly working on Krystyna. (http://www.kendigcottage.com/Patterns.html) I have sock and clog interruptions. :roll:

Kemp has some great prices on the cone of Henry's attick.

09-05-2006, 02:23 PM

Thanks so much for the information! I love the look of the linen hand towels in Mason Dixon Knitting, but have searched far and wide for linen yarn to get a feel for it (literally). I have no LYS within 30 minutes, and the local chain stores don't carry any...so I was totally at a loss.

I am leaving on vacation the day after tomorrow and plan to hit all the yarn stores along the way so hopefully will find some linen as well as some malabrigo.

09-05-2006, 06:07 PM
Linen will feel coarse in the store. You have to wash it a few times, to get what it will feel like.

Have a great vacation! :clink: