PDA

View Full Version : which "knit picks" yarn?

Stitch
09-05-2006, 11:41 AM
Which yarn from Knit picks would be good for a mens hat? should i go with wool or some type of cotton blend? any suggestions?

thanks!!

candicane
09-05-2006, 11:51 AM
I prefer wool. If the hat is worn in crummy weather... wet snowy for instance, the wool is much warmer than cotton. I made several hats last winter out of baby alpaca. They are very soft and very warm. Plymouth Grande Baby Alpaca single stranded or KP Andean Treasure double stranded both made for nice hats. I also sew in a band of thin fleece around the part of the hat that would touch the forehead and ears. Wards of the itchies and blocks the wind.

Candice

knitncook
09-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Oh yes, definitely wool. Might even think about a felting a hat if the weather is really icky/rainy/snowy/sleety. It will help keep the head dry. Now if this is for someone like my brother who is a bit "shiny" on top maybe a nice soft baby alpaca. Very soft and not scratchy.

SandraEllen
09-05-2006, 01:02 PM
i would say to use a wool. It's hard because most wools aren't machine washable. I would say to use the Swish because it's both wool and machine washable.
I would stay away from Wool of the Andes for a hat because it's pretty itchy.

rebecca
09-05-2006, 02:22 PM
After having just worked with their washable wool, Swish, I suggest it :cheering:

Stitch
09-05-2006, 08:53 PM
thanks everyone!!

Quiara
09-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Stitch, this has nothing to do with your question (sorry!) but I had to comment: the baby toes in your signature! *dies* TOO CUTE.

Stitch
09-05-2006, 09:01 PM
thanks!! i took that pic SO long ago! he was about 2 months old!! (14 months now!)
but i just love it, so i keep it on my siggy!
thanks! :heart: