PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm going to frog it...

knitaddict
09-05-2006, 07:59 PM
I spent the first part of the summer (over a month, at least) knitting up Soleil tank from knitty.com. After I finished it, I tried it on and it was a bit snug and the arm-holes showed my bra. So, to try & rescue it, I paid the $5 to d/l the Rose pattern and knitted up some sleeves. The sleeves are WAY bigger than the sweater so I haven't been able to attach them at all.

I was just looking through my pile of WIP's and every time I see that one it depresses me. I think I might just frog it and start all over with the next size up.

If I do frog it, do I need to do anything to the yarn b4 I wind it into balls?

Sigh. :(

aylaanne
09-05-2006, 08:06 PM
I have heard (though I've never tried) that you should wrap it into hanks, soak it, and hang it up with some weight on it to stretch out the kinks. Check out articles on recycling yarn.

mulene
You know what.. I bought on the cheap a bale (10 balls) of Rowan cotton Glace in a gorgeous wine colour to make this. I made it up and I did my first ever short row shaping using the math and method from the Big Girl Knits book.

I messed up the wrap and turns and didn't hide the bumps at all - I should have read it better and practiced it on a swatch first.

Anyway I finished it, tried it on and I am just completely not happy with how it turned out. For a start the yarn hurt my hands like crazy - gorgeous gorgeous colour, but Rowan Cotton Glace I can assure you makes your hands hurt like mad. I assumed that the problem was actually just the short row shaping, but the more I looked at it the more unhappy I was with how the overall shape of the thing is.

I'm going to frog mine completely - I've no idea what I'll do with the yarn. What I'd suggest to you to do is wind it into skeins, wet it and weigh it down slightly to stretch the yarn a little to remove the kinks.

I'm sure there is an article on knitty.com on how to do that... I don't have the link handy atm tho sorry

itsbecca1979
When I think of frogging an entire project it make me wanna puke...you're more woman than I am! :notworthy:

knitaddict
09-05-2006, 08:10 PM
When I think of frogging an entire project it make me wanna puke...you're more woman than I am! :notworthy:
It sorta' makes me want to, too!! But it makes me feel sick every time I look at it as well. kwim? I figure it's better to just frog it and feel sick ONE time than to keep it and feel sick often. :(

TY for the suggestions. I'll run over to knitty & see if I can find something on it. :)

mulene
09-05-2006, 08:17 PM
It sorta' makes me want to, too!! But it makes me feel sick every time I look at it as well. kwim? I figure it's better to just frog it and feel sick ONE time than to keep it and feel sick often. :(

TY for the suggestions. I'll run over to knitty & see if I can find something on it. :)

Thats exactly how I feel. Thankfully my Soleil is at my mothers and she seems to have put it away somewhere so I don't have to look at it and think "URGHH I have to frog that now" I love the idea of Soleil but I don't know what it is about it that just makes it feel so wrong =(

Ingrid
09-05-2006, 08:23 PM
I frogged an entire lacy sweater that I'd made for my daughter. The sleeves were enormous and I found a mistake across the middle of the front. I wasn't at all happy with it, so I just ripped it out and made another sweater that fits and looks better.

I didn't do anything special with the yarn--it was kind of wavy to start with, but you'd never tell.

itsbecca1979
09-05-2006, 08:28 PM
I wouldn't think you'd need to do anything special since it'll be knitted up anyways? :shrug:

Denise in Michigan
09-06-2006, 10:34 AM
I figure it's better to just frog it and feel sick ONE time than to keep it and feel sick often. :(

Amen!

VictoiseC
09-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Omg, I just asked if I should frog 3 inches of ribbing for a sweater I started, like I don't want to, and Ingrid frogged AN ENTIRE LACE SWEATER!??? Whoa. I'm such a baby.

boo hoo

knitaddict
09-06-2006, 12:14 PM
It is done. :pout: :pout: The absolute HARDEST part was frogging that lace at the bottom - It was just so pretty & I'd been so proud of it. Sigh.

I still have to wind it into balls, but last night I'd had enough. :(

rebecca
09-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Sorry about you girls having to frog, but, if you didn't like it, I think the best thing to do is frog and start over with a smile on your face knowing that the next project will be glorious :cheering:

You know what, I bought Rose, too, my sister wanted sleeves...mine were way too big, too! Needless to say, she ended up with Soleil! And, loves it!

When I've frogged things I've done nothing special with the yarn, just rewound it.

brownishcoat
09-06-2006, 01:10 PM
You could even unwind as you knit, depending on the situation. It's all about preference.

VictoiseC
09-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Sorry about you girls having to frog, but, if you didn't like it, I think the best thing to do is frog and start over with a smile on your face knowing that the next project will be glorious :cheering:

That's so sweet. My husband just finished put the THIRD coat of paint on our new sunporch... the first color I picked was awful so he had to do two more coats of a new paint to cover it and when he was complaining I said "Just think about how happy you're going to be when you're finished!"

(he was)