PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever get heckled about your knitting?

aineepooh1
09-10-2006, 01:24 AM
I don't know about you guys but ever since I started kniting approx 2 months ago I get teased a lot about my kntting. Now granted, I take my knitting almost everywhere. Especially in places I expect to have a wait... doctor's appointments, restaraunts, visiting with fami :pout: :heart: :heart: ly, church, during my lunch break at work, ( I even snuck it into one class at school)BUT I do NOT apologize for it!! However, I get teased alot... especially by co workers who constantly ask what are you kniting NOWWWW? My family says... well, the grannyfaction process has started, my nephew said 'You just do old-people crafts".. again I do NOT apologize but does any one else get heckled...
NOT THAT IT WILL STOP ME IN THE LEAST!!
I LOVE IT TOO MUCH...!

Stiney
09-10-2006, 02:12 AM
I get less heckling and more disbelief that I would knit. Apparently, my friends and family don't think I'm the "type." It's too "homey" for me. "It's just not you."

I'm not sure what that means.

SabrinaJL
09-10-2006, 02:39 AM
I get the same reactions as cawthraven. People are surprised when they find out I knit.

Mo0nAngel
09-10-2006, 03:51 AM
I don't know about you guys but ever since I started kniting approx 2 months ago I get teased a lot about my kntting. Now granted, I take my knitting almost everywhere. Especially in places I expect to have a wait... doctor's appointments, restaraunts, visiting with fami :pout: :heart: :heart: ly, church, during my lunch break at work, ( I even snuck it into one class at school)BUT I do NOT apologize for it!! However, I get teased alot... especially by co workers who constantly ask what are you kniting NOWWWW? My family says... well, the grannyfaction process has started, my nephew said 'You just do old-people crafts".. again I do NOT apologize but does any one else get heckled...
NOT THAT IT WILL STOP ME IN THE LEAST!!
I LOVE IT TOO MUCH...!
My friend I feel ya! i've been getting teased too...especially by my dad...he says that all women who knit never get married.(of course he doesn't know what he's talking about)..my sister says that i'm getting old too fast...and other people have asked as well why on earth am I knitting now...but who cares...I knit!! and I love it!! and I won't apologize for it either! :P they're just jealous!!

Dilly
09-10-2006, 06:54 AM
My older sister...

I learned to knit just before my sister broke her arm snowboarding. The following year, she had surgery on that arm, and was out of commission for another season. She teased me mercilessly about my knitting for those two years. The next year, while she was leading a youth group sleepover for the girls club, one of the parent's came in and taught all the girls to knit. My sister has been addicted ever since and loves knitting just as much as I do.

Old Knitter
09-10-2006, 07:06 AM
I personally think it might be dangerous to heckle a person armed with two sharp objects.........

horve1
09-10-2006, 07:38 AM
:!!!: Can't say I get heckled exactly, but at the moment I'm actually sort of ticked of at DH because of his lack of appreciation. And we "fight" all the time about the light while we're watching tv. I want it on so I can knit - and he can't understand why I don't just want to sit there like a blob, but actually want to do something productive with my time. :grrr: :hair:

dustinac
09-10-2006, 08:08 AM
I personally think it might be dangerous to heckle a person armed with two sharp objects.........

:rofl: :rofl:

My family teases about everything but its something we have always done.. so yes I get teased about it but its kinda in a fun sort of way while they are asking for me to knit something.. although my grandfather who runs the Hawks Nest State Tram said one day while I was up... the older women are about to drive me crazy with their fussin' they need to be at home with a cat on their lap knitting.. then he looked over where I was sitting with their cat on my lap knitting and just busted out laughing.. we all did...everyone in my family does some kind of craft/hobby rather its knitting, crocheting, wood work, or something so they get it...

however, I've never had anyone be mean about it most wanna learn or watch when I knit in public... I've always been told when someone does they are jealous.. so maybe they wanna learn but think they are to "cool" although knitting is cooler :blooby:

Ingrid
09-10-2006, 08:59 AM
I've been teased--but not meanly, and not often. Last year some of the male staff would make a comment about my knitting during our weekly meetings. I usually participated more than they did, so it wasn't a question of me being distracted.

I just tell them that it's a lot more productive than golf. That shuts them up. :rofl:

XbelovedXoneX
09-10-2006, 09:00 AM
I don't really get heckled for knitting... The main problem is people blatantly asking me to knit something for them. Just practically demanding it by saying "Hey! Knit me a scarf!" :grrr: Maybe if they asked me nicely and offered to pay for the yarn I would do it! I really like knitting for others, but when people expect me to knit something for them just because I have the ability to and they say so, it drives me up the wall!

brendajos
09-10-2006, 09:08 AM
one of my friends teases me all the time but i tease him about being a CPA all the time too. neither of us really fits in the "stereotype" of either of those things so it is more about that than actual mocking. There is another girl we both know (and secretly neither of us likes...it really is like Jr. High) who tries to get into the teasing too....she usually gets her head bitten off. :whistle: It's all perspective.... :rofl:

Vendie
09-10-2006, 09:26 AM
I get teased at work, but mostly because I can never finish anything and I always have something different with me. I don't think the teasing will go away until I can produce an FO. And these are the guys teasing me. The women I work with all want to learn. I find it all to be very amusing.

knitncook
09-10-2006, 10:16 AM
Since I mostly knit socks in public I get more curious looks than anything else. My brother teases me about knitting, but he would tease me if all I was doing was breathing (let's j ust say he's a police officer and has pulled me over with lights and sirens when he has recognized my car just to say hi and give me a hard time - your tax dollars at work.) I think people are more puzzled by what I am doing with "all those needles." And I don't fall into the "old granny knitting category either."

jdee
09-10-2006, 10:33 AM
So far, I've never been teased for my knitting. I come from a family of crocheters, and have recently learned to knit, and they think it's great that I've picked up a new craft.

when I knit in public, I usually just get curious looks, and a few people have asked what I'm making. but no teasing. At least not yet...

knitncook
09-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Oh speaking of crocheters, I have one friend who crochets and constantly teases me about my knitting. She will say things like, "Oh but crocheting is SO much easier because you only need ONE needle." She also makes fun of my yarn snob-ness because I knit with "all those exotic yarns" (You know, like wool) And she calls me "granny" all the time. (To which I respond, "Yes; dear and the way that our oldest two children like each other we could be grandma's on the same day!) I think secretly she is jealous that I know how to knit and she doesn't but is too proud to ask me to show her how. We are both in the same homeschool group and the girls are always asking me to teach them how to knit. She's only had one girl ask her how to crochet.

cozy
09-10-2006, 11:46 AM
Can't say I've ever been heckled, thank goodness! However, my 10 year-old dd (also a knitter) begs me not to KIP since it's embarrassing for her. So far, only curious looks or nice questions.

brownishcoat
09-10-2006, 11:58 AM
My DD1 (14) is always asking me not to KIP, but she hasn't admitted that she thinks it would embarrass her.

I don't really fit in with the "granny" stereotype and people are always surprised when they find out how computer savvy I am. This is making me wonder which stereotype people think I am. It may be better not to know, I guess. :teehee:

brendajos
09-10-2006, 12:02 PM
isn't it a parent's job to embarrass their kids? That's what I always assumed anyway since mine were so good at it! ;)

brownishcoat
09-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Things have changed since I was a teenager. It seems the friends' parents go way out of their way to avoid embarrassing the kids. It's very foreign to me. :shrug:

I'm not one of those, though. I just bought a pair of high-top sneakers in the school colors to wear to the next home football game; she's in the HS marching band. :twisted:

rebecca
09-10-2006, 12:09 PM
Thankfully, no, I've not been teased. LOL, Lonnie happily tells people at work that I can knit anything, though. Well, he got hit in the head at work this past Mon. and had a concussion and had to stay home for a couple of days, when I was talking with one of the girls in the office she did say that I should knit him a steel helmet. I didn't take this as teasing in any way, she is also a knitter :wink:

brendajos
09-10-2006, 12:10 PM
oh please...I can see it now...

"On the next Rikki Lake....Mom's who refuse to stop knitting in public and the kids who don't want to be seen with them!"

They should just be glad that you aren't one of those embarrassing mom's that Rikki Lake likes to parade out! (does she even still have a show? :shrug: )

losnana
09-10-2006, 04:14 PM
The other day my law partner asked me, in all seriousness, "Don't you waste a lot of time knitting?' This from a man who fishes, sails and plays croquet!!! To each his own. :shrug: :shrug:

AidanM
09-10-2006, 04:26 PM
I get less heckling and more disbelief that I would knit. Apparently, my friends and family don't think I'm the "type." It's too "homey" for me. "It's just not you."

I'm not sure what that means.
Just knit the boys a willy warmer and ask everyone how homey they think /that/ is. ;)

Witchy Mama
09-11-2006, 04:11 AM
actually I have had alot of support, my mum only found out a couple of weeks ago but she thought it was ood, she used to knit and crochet when we were kids but no so much now that she works.
Garry's (my partner) mother offered to give me her old needles, but I turned them down as I already had the sizes she had plus hers all looked like the harbour bridge. Nice thought though hehehe.
I even have an order from a friend who is pregnant that I have to make her something LMAO

Witchy Mama
09-11-2006, 04:13 AM
Just knit the boys a willy warmer and ask everyone how homey they think /that/ is. ;)

hahaha Garry recons they would sell really well he calls the "C*** Socks" HAHAHA, he keeps asking if I am making his one for Christmas hahaha

Petals
09-11-2006, 08:55 AM
Yeah, a little teasing now and then but on the whole most are impressed by what I have made.

I did have a nice experience in the DR. office one day---an "older" gentleman was watching me knit and finally said "My wife used to knit, never understood why, but seemed to enjoy it. You know it really is a lost art, been a long time since I've seen anyone knit--it's nice to see. " I'm sure it brought back nice memories of his wife.

cozy
09-11-2006, 09:09 AM
"On the next Rikki Lake....Mom's who refuse to stop knitting in public and the kids who don't want to be seen with them!"

HA HA HA!!! :rofl: I guess I & my dd would be the first guests!

Pixywhispers
09-11-2006, 09:12 AM
My 8 year old son does. heh. I'll say we need to go to to Houston or Austin. He'll say "For what yarn/knitting?" with a nasty teasing little tone.

I harass him as well. One day when we were in town looking for a new healthfood store I said "Look out your window, when you see the yarn store just holler." He paused, looked shocked and said "Momma, is that why we came to town?" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

When he gets nasty about my knitting, I say the same back to him except replace yarn or knitting with Nintendo.

brownishcoat
09-11-2006, 09:14 AM
We have a lot in common, Pixy. I live near Houston, have an 8-year-old DD, and we LOVE Nintendo. :teehee:

SabrinaJL
09-11-2006, 11:52 AM
It seems the friends' parents go way out of their way to avoid embarrassing the kids.

I was one of those parents. I'd do my best NOT to embarass my daughter. But I've discovered that no matter what I do, somehow I'm going to embarrass her. So now I don't even care. :roflhard:

ilurffknit<3
09-11-2006, 02:40 PM
I get heckled a lot, and those surprised responses like "oh my, you knit? There's one I wouldnt expect".

I cant be fagged to be 16 anymore, I wanna be 80 so it's politically correct for me to enjoy a productive and interesting hobby.

Shavon
09-11-2006, 11:53 PM
My husband used to heckle me a lot when I first started. And he still does sometimes - when I'm knitting and talking on the phone to my friend who is also knitting or when I'm trying to set up "knitting parties" with one of my other friends who I'm teaching how to knit. And yeah, I guess I should get heckled for some of this stuff! :rofl: But everyone else who finds out I knit is totally impressed and in awe. I made the mistake of bringing some knitting to a meeting/training at work, to have something to do in the down time, and everyone just 'oooo' and 'aaahhh' over it. So much so to the point of embarrassment that I end up saying 'well, it's really not THAT amazing, sheesh!'

Pixywhispers
09-12-2006, 10:23 AM
<giggle> My friends also do the "I'm not worthy" stuff about my knitting!