PDA

View Full Version : ****NEW KNITTY IS UP***

KnittyKitty
09-11-2006, 01:41 PM
I'm not sure if there's anything in there that would be suitable for me to knit but I'm going to go see now!

Sorry if this is a double post!

Lisa

rebecca
09-11-2006, 02:11 PM
:cheering: I'm loving everything :cheering: I must, must, must have the wrap sweater! I am a few balls shy, so I'll just have to order the yarn for it...but, that will have to be next month. I must say, I don't see a thing that I don't like..I SO LOVE KNITTY :cheering:

CarmenIbanez
09-11-2006, 02:25 PM
I knew this would happen. There are SO MANY things I want to make. I am just going to have to learn to knit FASTER!

tmsl
09-11-2006, 02:50 PM
Lizard Ridge :drool:

Laura

earthchick
09-11-2006, 02:52 PM
Love it all. :heart:

mintdee
09-11-2006, 02:54 PM
I love the knitty!! The only thing that really made me say hmmm? Was that skirt. It is very cute, don't get me wrong. But there is no way that I will be wearing something that has a bunch of ribbon on the butt. Not what I want people to notice :doh: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Otherwise, I love knitty, just not the ever growing list of things to knit :teehee:

jodstr2
09-11-2006, 03:04 PM

Laura

yessss :heart:. 24 balls of Kureyon tho :shock: spendy. but I can't see making it in anything else!

kemp
09-11-2006, 03:05 PM
LOL...Good point about calling attention to one's butt...not soemthing most women want to do :)

LOVE that Kureyon afghan though! I've been looking for the right afghan project and that might be it. The only problem is with all the pet hair around here and Kureyon not being washable...hmmmmmm????

SabrinaJL
09-11-2006, 03:13 PM
I really liked Lucie, Diamante, Lizard Ridge and Back to School. The rest wasn't my thing.

iza
09-11-2006, 04:06 PM
This is one of my favorite knitty!!! I like pretty much EVERYTHING this time! :cheering: Oh and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Serrano and Ivy... :heart: But the patterns look too difficult for me I think :wall:

Amber
09-11-2006, 05:47 PM
:cheering: Great Knitty this time around!! I love everything, but my favs are Lucie and Ivy.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-11-2006, 07:32 PM
I love everything too! I wouldn't make the skirt for ME, that's for sure :shock: I want to make ALL FIVE of those woman's sweaters... AND they all go up to my size and bigger, so I won't have to alter anything!!! :yay: That makes me love this issue even more.

We might have to have Lucie or Ivy KAL. :D

Rebecca.... are any of these the secret BGK pattern?

mwedzi
09-11-2006, 07:41 PM
I guess it is only me who likes that skirt. No Intolerable Cruelty KAL for me. *sigh* 'tis the curse of having a great butt you *want* attention called to. :eyebrow:

jodstr2
09-11-2006, 08:28 PM
I like that skirt too, but I'd never ever wear it. does that make sense? it looks awesome on the designer.

aylaanne
09-11-2006, 10:45 PM
I might make that skirt. hell yes.

And did you all see the pattern that is NAMED AFTER MOI?!!!!! :teehee: :teehee: Not my style, but I might have to make it anyways just because it has my name. :roflhard:

BinkyKat
09-11-2006, 10:53 PM
My previous thread threat to quit knitting forever notwithstanding :!!!: ... I do like a lot of this Knitty issue. I like Viveca and will check with DH on Avast...those are my two faves so far!!!

oh, and lizard ridge too!

Friskums
09-11-2006, 11:11 PM
I guess it is only me who likes that skirt. No Intolerable Cruelty KAL for me. *sigh* 'tis the curse of having a great butt you *want* attention called to. :eyebrow:
If I wore skirts, I'd make it with ya. I don't mind attention on my bum. ;) :eyebrow:

KnittyKitty
09-11-2006, 11:40 PM
I like Ivy, Lucie and Serrano!

snephenie
09-12-2006, 12:06 AM
I've already pringed out Ayla and Sugar on Snow.

My DD and baby sister would LOVE Ayla. And I just love anything with Cables these days. I'm seeing that one in pink and purple for my DD and her friends :)

knittingdoula
09-12-2006, 03:58 AM
I am LOVING Avast. Sometimes I feel that the patterns in Knitty are a little kitschy. But Avast is a true classic. Very nice. And a nice looking model, too, which never hurts.

:teehee:

When I looked at Avast, I could actually picture my husband wearing it.

Also, although I would NEVER wear the skirt, I really liked it. It's a very 1940's kind of design - but you've gotta have the booty for it, no doubt. I'm considering it for my stepdaughter, who could pull it off.

Alison

ChroniclesofYarnia
09-12-2006, 08:44 AM
My husband is definitely getting Avast for Christmas. It is just beyond gorgeous. The design is so well fitted to a man...you can just tell that a guy designed it.

If you make it in Swish from knitpicks then the Medium size comes out to under 50.00, and it is washable!

I am so glad knitty is "back". THe last two issues or so have been interesting.

mulene
09-12-2006, 08:49 AM
I do like the skirt too. I wish I could get away with wearing it but these days there is just too much yardage across my arse that I've no hope of ever wearing anything as sexy again. I did once have a skirt with lace up back - I was 18 at the time and it was very :eyebrow: :eyebrow: Oh for those days again ;)

mwedzi
09-12-2006, 09:39 AM
I am LOVING Avast. Sometimes I feel that the patterns in Knitty are a little kitschy. But Avast is a true classic. Very nice. And a nice looking model, too, which never hurts.

:teehee:

Alison

Yeah, Knitty is always going for the not-quite-mainstream. I think that's how they define themselves. It is fun to look at, but I'm with you, usually I just want a classic pattern.

jamiejeans
09-12-2006, 09:43 AM
I really like the Serrano and the Cable Net socks. Not sure when I would ever get around to knittin them!

I really liked that almost all of their women's knits had a large range of sizing! Yeah Knitty! :cheering:

Stonington
09-12-2006, 09:47 AM
:oops: could someone post a link to this site? Sounds wonderful. Sorry if this is a redundant request. Thanks so much! :flirt:

anne
sebago, ME

brownishcoat
09-12-2006, 09:52 AM
It's just plain old www.knitty.com . :shrug:

Stonington
09-12-2006, 09:57 AM
It's just plain old www.knitty.com . :shrug:

Thanks Lisa, :cheering:
I lost all my favorites :crying: when they replaced my computer here at work.

anne
sebago, ME

brownishcoat
09-12-2006, 10:18 AM
Oh, no! You might want to try backing them up every so often.

Stonington
09-12-2006, 10:24 AM
I did back up "business" ones on a stick, but did not back up my personal ones. dumb lol.

anne
sebago, ME

rebecca
09-12-2006, 10:59 AM
Rebecca.... are any of these the secret BGK pattern?

NO!!! I'm gonna just have to wing it and see if I can come up with something similar to those maryjanes! Although, Jillian Moreno told me they would be in an upcoming Knitty before the last one, maybe in this surprise! They are so cute! Look, I took a picture, it's not the greatest, but you can see the shoes and there's what looks to be a braided cable along the side on the back 1/2 of the shoe. I love these colors, too...I might just have to have those pants, too!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-12-2006, 10:59 AM
I'm wondering how the Noro Kureyon will feel in an afghan... I mean, and afghan, to me, is sometihg soft and cuddly I want to snuggle up in.... I wouldn't want to snuggle in noro, it's too scratchy. :shrug:

hedgehog
09-12-2006, 11:11 AM
I agree, Hildy... I love the Noro colorways but it's too scratchy for me.

I really like this Knitty issue! The last few have been really kind of "meh" for my tastes, so i'm sooo glad there are so many interesting patterns this time around. Wel-come baaaaack....

I like most of the patterns - i think Sherwood is really cute and so is the model! I wish my nephews were still little gippers...

I also like Lucie. Did you notice that the yarn used for it is hand-dyed by the pattern designer? She has some GORGEOUS colorways (click here) (http://two_pointy_sticks.blogspot.com/2004/10/list-of-colourways.html) but wow is it pricey! :( I love Byzantine and Plankton :drool:

Oh and i think i'm gonna have to make me an Ivy... I love wrap sweaters and this one is rather interesting (love the sleeves).

As for the skirt, if i was younger i would DEFINITELY wear it (especially back in my full-on goth years - black with champagne or burgandy ribbon... woo!). Unfortunately i'm part of the "flat butt" brigade and i wouldn't do it justice. (woudn't have stopped me wearing it, though!)

-hh

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-12-2006, 11:28 AM
HH, I was just looking at the prices for the Lucie yarn. :shock: 38 bucks per skein???? :shock: granted, they're 500 yards each, but holy :!!!: crapola! That's a 150 dollar sweater!!!!!

I wonder what else would work.... koigu KPPM has similar colors, but knits to 7 sts/in on size 3s.... and it's 12 bucks for 175 yards... So that would make it more expensive.

I dunno, maybe the Ariadne would be the way to go then.... :shrug:

CarmenIbanez
09-12-2006, 11:40 AM
I totally want to make the skirt. I love it! And I want to do Avast. And, well, a lot of things in this knitty. *sigh*

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-12-2006, 11:55 AM
WOW! It didn't occur to me that so many people would be interested in the skirt. Maybe you need to start a skirt a long!

Shandeh
09-12-2006, 12:16 PM

Laura

yessss :heart:. 24 balls of Kureyon tho :shock: spendy. but I can't see making it in anything else!

I love that afghan too, but at a cost of almost 200 dollars, I can't see myself EVER making that!

:thinking: I guess I could shear a sheep, wash the wool, spin it, and then dye it with Kool-Aid. Man, THAT would take forever! :rofl:

Shandeh
09-12-2006, 12:20 PM
I love everything in this Knitty....except Viveka and the skirt. Lucie has stolen my heart :inlove: I Love Lucie!

I think the ribbons on that skirt would bust loose the very first time I ever put it on! :rofl: And my panties would show through that knitting. No underwear? You're joking, right? :roflhard:

CarmenIbanez
09-12-2006, 01:36 PM
It looks like the ribbons are decorative, yes? Couldn't you just skip the ribbons?

brownishcoat
09-12-2006, 01:39 PM
That's what I've been thinking. I think it would be cute without them.

Shandeh
09-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Well, not for me. A knitted skirt would show EVERY bulge on my hips, belly and posterior. NOT my best feature. :help:

Shandeh
09-12-2006, 02:07 PM
If I wore skirts, I'd make it with ya. I don't mind attention on my bum. ;) :eyebrow:

Hey, if somebody's gonna show me "attention", I'm gonna steer 'em to the FRONT, not the back! :rofl:

Michele
09-12-2006, 02:08 PM
I love the Ayla and the lucie, but the yarn for lucie is bumming me out. :-x

Jeremy
09-12-2006, 03:00 PM
I think you folks in the Avast fan club are just in lust with the model. If you think some of those other designs like the skirt would look bad on you, just think how some middle aged guy with a gut would feel about wearing Avast. Not a pretty sight :teehee:

CarmenIbanez
09-12-2006, 03:12 PM
ANY man looks better in a well made, well fitted sweater!

Stiney
09-12-2006, 03:14 PM
In lust with the model, well, maybe a little.

But I saw the sweater and went, "Ooh, that would be PERFECT for Eugene." He might not forgive me if I don't substitute in cashmere yarn, though. He once spent $500 on a pair of pants that were only 13% cashmere.

I don't think I'm quite ready for a sweater though, so he'll have to wait.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-12-2006, 04:38 PM
I keep looking at Lucie. I am just in love with the yarn AND the style of the sweater. I was trying to look critically, because if it was just one or the other I could say "well, that sweater would look good in any yarn" or "I could just buy ONE skein of the yarn and make a scarf"..... but this is one of those patterns that, to me, HAS to be knit in the yarn specified. I've spent over 2 hours looking for a good substitute, and I keep coming up short... the yarn is the wrong gauge, or the colors aren't as nice, or the fiber content is too different, etc.

I'm going to have to start saving my $$$. I just spent 150 bucks on mmmmm for my next sweater, which i still love (it's this one (http://www.stitchesmarket.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=6888&cat=191&page=1), even thought it's a bad picture), so I can't justify spending the exact same amount for ANOTHER sweater. :pout:

But honestly, 38 dollars for 500 yards of yarn isn't THAT bad. Besides, comparing that to the other prices of yarn on her site, this is the cheapest one.

Come on, help me justify, here!!!

rebecca
09-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Look at it this way, you are going to spend the time to knit it, why not knit it with whatever yarn you want! You are worth it!

fyi, can't see the pic, is this the sweater on the cover of the magazine?

CarmenIbanez
09-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Okay, here is my thing. I buy on the cheap for everything. I am not a big shopper. I don't have a ton of clothes or shoes and what I do have I bought at target. I don't spend money on my hair or my nails, except every once in a blue moon. I don't buy expensive handbags or a car that costs alot for gas. There isn't anything wrong with any one of the things I have mentioned, either. It's just that I don't spend a lot of money on myself. Except for knitting. That is my thing. Some women buy shoes, or handbags. Some women go to the spa. I BUY YARN. 'Nuff said.

BinkyKat
09-12-2006, 07:33 PM
Yeah, Avast designer/model... good lookin' :teehee:

thischicknits
09-12-2006, 10:40 PM
I LOVE KNITTY! It will be the end of me financially!! So many cute things, so little time to knit.

hedgehog
09-12-2006, 10:57 PM
Hildy, i feel your pain... i find myself coming back to Lucie over and over... That yarn!! Those colorways!! It's like being haunted or obsessed! I LOVE them!! (and i don't usually get this worked up over color - i'm a black/grey kind of girl!). But i WANT that yarn. I WANT those colors. I want to work with them and see them create a beautiful garment! :drool: Her sense of color out-does Noro and Lorna's Laces for me! THAT is how obsessed i am...

$38.00 a skein... Is it really that extravagant? Yes, i suppose so. I am a KP girl because i love the prices. I'm skeered to spend that much money on yarn. But i love the rationalization that i don't spend money on myself elsewhere... that's true, i don't. So i might just cave in at some point.

Also, i think my sister would look absolutely smashing in a Lucie sweater (she's built like the model). Her 40th birthday is in February. Is an expensive, hand-dyed sweater a lame pressie for a 40th birthday? Or should it be something more lasting...??

-hh

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-12-2006, 11:58 PM
Here's an idea... You go ahead and knit that sweater for me for MY 29th birthday, send it on over, and I'll let you know if it's lame or not :angelgrin:

Seriously, though, I think I'm going to have to get that yarn and make that sweater. I was looking through my bookmarks and I've bookmarked that page TWICE already, and I've already sent the chick emails about her yarn, last year or the year before sometime, that I saved in my knitting folder on my laptop. So I am obviously obsessed.

however will I choose a color???? :thud:

hedgehog
09-13-2006, 11:22 AM
I don't know how you'd pick a color... they're all so unbelievably DELICIOUS! :drool:

I like Hotel California (if you don't have much in the red family) and Neptune.... Oh and Firey Sunset and Little Caymen are GORGEOUS.... All.. i like them all... I don't know how you'll choose..

As for me, i'm on a very tight yarn budget at the moment so i'm forcing my attention on IVY (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/PATTivy.html). I'm thinking of maybe doing it in two colors (heathered, perhaps) - black for the cabling on the body and sleeves, the tie and the neck border, and a charcoal or misty grey for the rest. I was thinking it might accentuate the waist better and elongate by drwaing the eye downward... Dunno if that would work.. i'm still toying with the idea... :??

-hh

geekgolightly
09-13-2006, 01:07 PM
im going to do Ivy for my MIL. its perfect for her. she even looks like the model. im so excited ive found something for her. i just hope i can actually pull it off! it says its piquant. do you guys think its actually tricky? ive done cabling and im about to finish my first sweater (simple childs sweater)

Holly
09-13-2006, 01:52 PM
Ivy is sooo pretty, and the yarn cost wasn't bad, either. I just searched and found this link (http://www.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=elann%2Ecom+Peruvian+Quechua&Season=&Company=&Cat=&ProductType=5&OrderBy=&Count=34).

I also :heart: the Viveka.

I need a lesson on how to substitute yarn. What do you look at besides stitches per inch (gauge) when evaluating substitutes?

~Mod Squad was here :thumbsup:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-13-2006, 07:43 PM
besides gauge, I would look fiber content, and the make up of the yarn... twisted, how many plys, boucle, thick/thin, etc. Also the overall weight of the yarn... there will be a different between yarn that is 100 grams per 200 yards and a yarn that is 50 grams per 200 yards.

misstialouise
09-14-2006, 07:06 PM
I was just thrilled to see that the cute sweaters were in sizes above a 50" bust!!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-17-2006, 03:29 PM
I did it..... I couldn't resist!!!

see what I got HERE (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=259489#259489)

geekgolightly
09-18-2006, 08:38 PM
I did it..... I couldn't resist!!!

see what I got HERE (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=259489#259489)

hahaa! i couldnt helpmyself either, hilde. i rationalised it by saying that its a christmas gift so i was selfish NOT to buy the yarn :roflhard: oh the power of the yarn

i was able to get the teal color (http://www.elann.com/images/image1/y1221523d.jpg) which i think is going to look divine on my MIL

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-18-2006, 09:35 PM
nicey!!!!!!!

When is the KAL starting!!!!! :cheering: :woot: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :yay: :happydance: :cheering:

hedgehog
09-18-2006, 10:49 PM
oooOOOOooooo..... BriarRose... Lovely, lovely, lovely!!

:drool:

I'm envious!

-hh

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-19-2006, 11:22 AM
I'm having just a BIT of buyers remorse.... that is a lot of expensive yarn. I shouldn't have gotten that 6th skein... Or, I shoul dhave gotten another color.

hmmmmmm, I wonder if I can change it....

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-02-2006, 10:03 PM
Got my yarn in the mail today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering:

it is GORGEOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

I got 5 skeins of Briar Rose and 1 skein of Japanese Maple... Axelle is TOTALLY friendly, and has GREAT communication. She hand paints EACH ORDER, so I don't feel put out at ALL about waiting 3 weeks for the yarn. TOTALLy worth it. Every time I emailed her, she got back to me within 24 hours... sometimes within ONE hour!

I am sooooooooooo happy!!! Wish I had a cam to take a picture :pout:

:yay: yay yarn!

Ingrid
10-02-2006, 10:14 PM
Me, too. :pout:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-07-2006, 10:39 PM
I cast on this weekend!!!! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: