PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone started knitting for Christmas?

aineepooh1
09-11-2006, 11:36 PM
I hate to even say it but.... has anyone started doing Christmas yet? I hate to rush the holidays but unfourtunately it's just the way it is in the retail world. I went to Hobby Lobby last week and they had HUGE Santa and Mrs. Claus lawn oranments already in stock....
I can feel the winds of change.. Brrr.... it's gonna start getting cold soon isnt' it?
I really am not looking forward to Christmas/Thanksgiving this year.. we lost my dad this year and I am not looking forward to the holidays..
:verysad: :verysad: :heart: :heart:

HollyP
09-11-2006, 11:56 PM
:hug: I know how hard the holidays are after losing someone! :hug:

Yes I have started Christmas knitting! I actually started in the summer when I had some time off. I still have to make a few pairs of clogs and finish my brother's neverending(only becauseI am so bored of knitting it) scarf but I think I should be ok.

snephenie
09-12-2006, 12:15 AM
I've got to start making my list and staggering the yarn buying for the projects.

Let's see...

Grams-A shawl with Knit Picks Suri (anyone have a good, QUICK pattern for this)

Mom-A cabled lapghan, using 9 squares of the Great American Aran Afghan

Dad-Some sort of beanie (proabably black and grey...again any ideas?)

Step Mom-I'm thinking sugar on snow in black and orange for when she rides on Dad's Bike.

Step Dad-Probably Clogs
Grandma-Probably Clogs or a shawl

Sister #1-Clogs
Sister #2-Clogs
Sister #3-Ayla & Possibly those dolls I just saw someone talkign about
Brother #1-??? Probably buying something
Brother #2-Beanie, he has only been asking for YEARS
Brother #3-Buying something

Niece-Baby Uggs
Nephew-Cabled Beanie

Yikes...this does not even include My SIL (3) and BIL (1) OR the childrens Godparents. I see fudge in their future.
Luckily my brothers son is not due until Dec 31st :)

orcoastknitter
09-12-2006, 02:48 AM
:hug:

I haven't started, but my list isn't very long:

Mom & Dad --- no knitted gifts this year, I will more and likely knit for them after the holidays. Which is fine by them.

Best friend - Scarf & socks
Her oldest daughter - felted bag & socks
Younger daughter - socks and I hopefully something else.
I am usually late sending them their gifts. :teehee:

Friend #2- Scarf or socks
Friend #3 - Scarf or socks

Hairdresser - scarf, shawl or socks (depends on my time limits). It's a first time I have ever given her a present and she's been cutting my hair for 5 years now. :oops:

We do a small gift exchange at work, but I will more and likely bake stuff for my co-workers.

I come from a large family, but since I was a teenager (many moons ago) we stopped exchanging gifts, the family just got too large.

I also will be getting a christmas present from myself. My little puppy will be coming home around the second week in December. :woot: So my knitting plans could change drastically.

mulene
09-12-2006, 03:08 AM
:hug: for your loss - it isn't easy the first holiday season after losing ones dad - I remember it being hard for us all. If it is any consolation, it does get a bit easier - you never stop missing them, but the pain goes a bit and the wonderful memories come to the fore.

I've not started yet - I've ordered yarn to make the christmas gnomes, I intend making 4 of them, one for each colleague and putting a miniature bottle of booze with them for their presents.

Virtuella
09-12-2006, 03:12 AM
Nope, I have not started x-mas knitting.

Lieke
09-12-2006, 10:48 AM
I want to start soon, but I'm only planning on making something for my parents. Otherwise it would be to much work, I don't have enough time to knit everybody something.

rebecca
09-12-2006, 11:03 AM
:hug: So very sorry for your loss :hug: I will remember you and your family in my prayers.

As for Christmas knitting...nope, nadda, not gonna do it. LOL, I have been knitting for 2 years, well, this will be my 3rd Christmas since I began knitting, I knit all sorts of things the 1st year, but when I found myself stressing over knitting this and that for a long list of people we (Lonnie and I were out of town on a day trip) both decided that we didn't want to live that way! With me in stress mode for a few months before Christmas. So, I may knit the Krista Tee (http://whiteliesdesigns.com/patterns/lpullovers/142.html) for my sis (not wintry, but she has said that she likes it), but that's probably about it for me.

DoulaLyndsey
09-12-2006, 11:26 AM
I'm currently working on Knitty's Anouk for a friends baby girl. I was going to make everyone clogs, but haven't had the money to order the yarn yet, so I think I'm going to make a couple of Branching Out scarves to give away also.

Jan in CA
09-12-2006, 12:44 PM
My family is generally WAY too picky to knit for. :doh: :pout:

kemp
09-12-2006, 01:12 PM
No, but I've really been thinking about it...does that count? Really if you don't want to be crazed, now is the time to start.

nadja la claire
09-12-2006, 01:27 PM
:hug: The holidays can be so difficult after loosing a loved one. I'm sorry for your loss. :grphug:

I've been knitting all year and I'm still behind the 8 ball. I've got 5 done and 3 OTNs and 9 to get started. I've got a big family. I remember in May thinking I've got plenty of time. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!!!!! The guys are just getting scarves. I'm going to make Lacey from Knitty.com for my niece as soon as my Knit Picks Suri Dreams gets here. I've got a Booga for one of my daughters-in-law. I don't know what to make for my mom. Maybe a pair of clogs. I've just started a Bear Claw throw for my sister-in-law. I think I'm going to make scerves and mittens for my grandchildren. AAAARGH! I just don't know if I can get it all done. I may have to do something I don't want to do...go shopping. :verysad: :waah:

Nadja xxx

Jenelle
09-12-2006, 01:29 PM
I'm a procastinator when it comes to giving gifts. I know I'll be working on stuff until the very last minute. :teehee:

Mom- A pair of socks for bedtime, maybe a hat.

Dad- Three beanies(black, brown, and grey)

Sister- A pair of black socks with white stars on the leg and heel(my design)

Brother- A brown beanie.

Sister-in-law -too picky, I'll probably buy something(chocolate always works :rofl: )

Neice-A sweater and a tank top.

My mom's friend and her husband- Coca-cola blanket(still working on it) for her, and a dark green or black beanie for her husband.

I'm going to have to start soon. :oops:

aineepooh1
09-12-2006, 04:13 PM
Thanks to all of your for the kind words about losing Dad.
:heart: :heart: :heart:

Quiara
09-12-2006, 04:43 PM
I've definitely started my Christmas knitting. I have a huge family and while several of them are getting scarves, some are getting hats or socks or purses, etc. If I hadn't started already, I'd never be done in time. Sadly, some of the people in my family don't realize the sheer amount of TIME that goes into a knitted Christmas. I knit quickly, but it's still a large effort. Would be far quicker (and possibly cheaper) to simply buy gifts, but I enjoy knitting for others.

chan58
09-12-2006, 08:53 PM
So sorry for your loss,
I have started knitting for Christmas and so far I have 1 pair of slippers and a hat done, still need to do 5 more pairs of slippers and 2 scarves!! :happydance:

Mer
09-12-2006, 10:21 PM
I just started my list last night, even though I told myself I was not going to make anybody anything this year! :doh: I'm going to try to do small things though like purses or mittens. But I am looking forward to buying all the yarn for gifts--that's the fun part!

SabrinaJL
09-12-2006, 11:39 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I know how hard it is to lose a parent.

As for the knitting, I've started an afghan for my sister. I'm also going to knit one for my husband and a poncho and a pair of Fetching for my MIL.

Phyllis Larson
10-27-2006, 10:56 AM
xxx Started on afgans and scarves. Will make as many as possible! :happydance:

Jan in CA
10-27-2006, 01:11 PM
I'm starting! I'm CO for the first of two camouflage hats for my nephews!

nonny2t
10-27-2006, 01:16 PM
I sure have. I am a 3rd way done with grandson's new sweater and have started some more baby stuff. My dd is picky and would like socks, but I am not ready for socks yet so the grandbaby to be and the grandson are the only ones getting knitting gifts this year.

I am so sorry for the loss of your dad. I know how hard it is the first big holiday without a loved one. You are in my prayers

Faye

CarmenIbanez
10-27-2006, 02:08 PM
I have three pairs of clogs done!

knitaddict
10-27-2006, 02:52 PM
I have!! So far I've made a pair of socks, two belts, a scarf, a set of golf club covers, a bath mitt, 2 ponchos, a hat, an earwarmer, a purse, a muff and a pair of clogs. I'm almost done with a sweater vest for my mum. Once that's done, I have 3 hats, a scarf (Rebecca's A Touch of Whimsey pattern) and 2 other "somethings" that I haven't decided on yet. :) I need to figure out something for a 4 yo boy and a 9 yo boy, but have no ideas as to what.

I'm toying with the idea of making clogs for dh's family. That would be about 12 pairs, but it only took me 2 days to make the pair I already did. I can't get a nicer gift than that for only $12! The only problem is I don't know everyone's shoe sizes. Nor do I have any idea how to find out. ;)

mrs desert rain
10-27-2006, 07:09 PM
Indeed!

Scarf for my sister and DH (from the Vogue Knitting cover; plus a third for myself :) )
Clogs for MIL and my dad
Hats for my nieces (2) and my goddaughters (twins)

I'll buy for my soon-to-be BIL (my sis knits enough for him), my SIL, my FIL and Step MIL.

My mom loves to SEE my FO, but she could care less to actually WEAR any of them... Then again... knitaddict, my mom might actually enjoy a set of golf club covers. Hmm... :??

That's all I can commit to -- I have a few things OTN for myself as well!

Pink Dandelion
10-27-2006, 08:02 PM
Yes, Christmas is definitely creeping up on us! I've finished a couple presents and I'm about 65% done with another, I planned a couple more, but I'm starting to think I may not finish them... we'll see though, I still have almost 2 months to Christmas...

The Christmas after losing both of my grandparents on my fathers side was really hard, and I don't think any one of my immediate family got through it without crying at some point, though it didn't make the loss any easier, That Christmas was very special, we were all very reminiscent and it made for some wonderful stories and family time.

(((HUGS))) for your loss. I hope your holidays are as happy as possible with a few healing tears mixed in :hug:

cgd
10-27-2006, 10:09 PM
Sorry about your dad.

I've done numerous dishcloths, some caps, and a scarf. Some of what I've done and will do is knit, other items are crocheted. I still have two camo caps to knit for my brother and a guy friend. For once, I actually planned ahead and am in good shape! One contributing factor was that my son played soccer this fall, so I had lots of time while sitting at his practices and between games to knit and crochet.

Anastasia Beaverhausen
10-27-2006, 10:30 PM
*HUGS* sorry for your loss *HUGS*

bogart
10-27-2006, 11:55 PM
yes, i have started my christmas knitting. I probably started it about a month ago. Made my niece a pair of mittens and a scarf, and I'm making flip top mittens for my husband and some ice fisherman friends. I'm making a cowl neck for my Sil. I think that's all the christmas knitting I have to do...then if I have time I can work on the sweater I started for myself in October on my birthday! :doh:
Happy knitting all
bogart

geekgolightly
10-28-2006, 07:27 AM
i wish i knitted faster!

im only working on a cabled scarf for MIL, the tendrils wrap for other MIL, finished the clapotis for family friend, and working on anouk for new baby about to come during Christmas season. i feel overwhelmed with that. need more time!!

HamburgKnitter
10-28-2006, 09:10 AM
Well, since I've only been knitting for two weeks I think I'll spare my family & friends my lopsided efforts this year. :teehee: I'm knitting DH a scrunchable scarf right now, but it's not a christmas present, since he will see me working on it anyway!

A friend of mine in Australia told me how much she would appreciate a scarf someday, so I think I'll save that up for her birthday which is in May....winter in Australia!