PDA

View Full Version : Branching Out scarf....what kind of yarn?

JamOKnit
09-13-2006, 10:07 AM
I just bought 2 skeins of Patons Divine in Icicle White to make the Branching Out scarf for my mom....it's a wool/acrylic/poly blend with a bit of mohair. Do you think this will work well for the leafy pattern of the scarf? I saw the picture of the pink scarf on Knitty's website and just loved how soft it looked...and this yarn was the best I could do in a spur-of-the-moment trip to Michael's!! :teehee:

rebecca
09-13-2006, 10:27 AM
There is no rule that one should use the yarn that is written in a pattern. This pattern is written for a couple of wts. of yarn, I believe. Remember when knitting lace you need to use a needle that is 2-3 times larger than recommended for the yarn.
Truthfully, I'm not real sure how well the lace patterning is going to show with Divine because it's so fuzzy. I'm sure it will be beautiful, but I thought that it would be a good thing for you to know about the lace and the fuzziness of this yarn :wink:

JamOKnit
09-14-2006, 09:31 AM
Yeah, that's what I thought, that the fuzziness would be too much. But I really didn't find anything else in the store that was as soft. I started the scarf last night but am only a few rows in so I think I'll do a little more and if the pattern is obscured, then I might just frog it and make a regular ol' scarf with it.

Any suggestions from anyone who's made this scarf before on a good yarn to use and needle size? Right now I'm using 8s because the pattern calls for it....

cheesiesmom
09-14-2006, 10:39 AM
I made this scarf last year in some Lion Imagine, a worsted weight yarn which I have in my stash. Imagine is an acrylic and mohair yarn, fuzzy but not too fuzzy. I used size 8 or 9 needles and it turned out beautifully. Very "angora" like. The yarn wasn't so fuzzy to obscure the design. Just a pretty halo around the scarf. Unfortunately Imagine has been totally discontinued and very difficult to find. Lion also makes Jiffy which isn't as fuzzy but might work, too. I checked some of the sites (Bernat, Knitpicks, etc) and don't see anything comparable to Imagine. I know it was only an acrylic yarn, but I really liked working with it and in the branching out pattern, it worked up really nicely.

I just checked Elann and they have a Jo Sharpe mohair yarn which would probably be very pretty. Again, not too fuzzy
http://secure.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=Jo+Sharp+Rare+Comfort+Kid+Moh air&Season=&Company=&Cat=&ProductType=5&OrderBy=&Count=1

rebecca
09-14-2006, 11:43 AM
You know, if you decide do decide to frog you might want to try a pattern repeat with a larger needle, it may allow the pattern to show and still get the fuzzy effect, too. Then, if you like it, you can just start over with the larger needle size.
It will look nice with just about any yarn, I think. I do hope that you find that you like yours with the yarn you have chosen. With lace, or with any pattern, really, when substituting yarn we sometimes have to experiment with needle size to get the effect that we want.

JamOKnit
09-14-2006, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the advice! I will let you both know how it turns out. :)

rebecca
09-14-2006, 01:55 PM
I'll be looking forward to it!

JamOKnit
09-15-2006, 10:13 AM
I have no idea why it is posting all of my messages twice. :shrug:

Anyway, I made a mistake in the middle of the pattern last night, and since it's a lace pattern with lots of YOs and SSKs I had no idea how to go back and fix it! (I was instructed to K the last 3 stitches but I still had 8 on the needle!!!!) So I decided to frog the whole thing and start over on size 10s, hoping the pattern would show up better.

Well, I finished one pattern repeat and it looks ok. The pattern is not super well-defined because of the mohair, and that's probably a good thing since I've probably made some mistakes! But it is soft, and I think I'll continue with it since it will make a really warm and fuzzy scarf with something other than a typical stockinette stitch.

:eyebrow: Wish me luck!

rebecca
09-15-2006, 11:06 AM
:cheering: Wonderful, well, not because you had to frog, but because now you can see the pattern a bit more :cheering: I think that it will be lovely.
You know, you can put a lifeline in if you wish, Amy has a video about this. I find that when I knit lace that if I quickly count the sts that I catch my mistakes very quickly and once you get used to counting the sts really quickly it becomes part of the routine and I don't even notice I'm doing it!
Good luck and HAVE FUN :cheering:

JamOKnit
10-09-2006, 02:25 PM
I had to put the scarf down for a while but hoping to get back into it this week. If after two or three repeats of the pattern, it doesn't look all that great, I may end up frogging it and trying to find a simpler pattern. The yarn is really soft, and I know Mom would like whatever I make out of it!

Does anyone know if maybe there is a simpler (read:ultra-beginner) lace patterned scarf out there that would work with a mohair yarn? Or maybe something that's not a lace pattern?

origami
10-09-2006, 02:30 PM
A few nice beginner lace patterns are Feather and Fan, Old Shale, and Crest of the Wave. You should be able to find Feather and Fan and Old Shale by doing an internet search. They are traditional patterns. I'm sure you can find them on knittingpatterncentral.com. Feather and Fan is super easy and looks really lovely.

jodstr2
10-09-2006, 04:27 PM
I started (and frogged, and started again, and frogged, due to inattentiveness - was too into my Grey's Anatomy dvd) Branching Out on Friday. I'm using KP Gloss and size 7 Clover bamboo.

after playing around with the leaf pattern on sizes 4, 5, and 6, I decided to use the 7. the pattern calls for 8, but the 2 yarns she made it in are DK (according to Yarndex). Gloss is fingering so I thought I'd go one size down. so far so good.

KristiMetz
10-10-2006, 09:53 PM
Feather and Fan looks good in just about any gosh darn yarn. Whether you can see the stitches or not, it just still seems to look good because of the waviness.

Anyhow, for a spur of the moment yarn for Branching Out, I think Microspun is a great choice. :happydance: Just my $.02!

I think if you use big enough needles that Divine will look fine though. Although ifyou're not happy with it, may as well do something else with it. :)

JamOKnit
10-19-2006, 09:28 AM
Well, I think Branching Out will be a success! I've gotten through a few repeats of the pattern, and although the yarn is quite fuzzy, I think it will make a really pretty, soft scarf with an interest to it, rather than a simple stockinette or something like that.

What do you think? (ignore the blatant error I made about halfway up...I think Mom will overlook that when I give it to her for Christmas) :oops:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/Diana74/Knitting%20projects/branchingoutprogress.jpg

psammeadred
10-19-2006, 09:33 AM
Very pretty! The design is very visible, even with such a fuzzy yarn.

KristiMetz
10-19-2006, 09:56 AM
Oh, that looks gorgeous!!!!!!!