PDA

View Full Version : OT - Anyone use Netflix?

JLC
09-19-2006, 06:42 AM
I'm thinking about cancelling my HBO package through Dish Network and renting DVD's online through Netflix or maybe Blockbuster. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it worth it?
Thanks!

Jax3303
09-19-2006, 07:03 AM
Netflix is definately worth it. we've been with them for 5 years now. wow, it dosen't seem like it's been that long....lol. We live reasonably close to a distribution center, so we usually have new movies in our mailbox 2 sometimes 3 days after we mail the old movies back. fast turn around and a great selection.

XbelovedXoneX
09-19-2006, 07:11 AM
I have to agree with everything Jax says. My DH and I looove netflix!

SandraEllen
09-19-2006, 07:15 AM
We have Netflix too. We really like it because they have a HUGE selection. You can create a list of movies that you want to see and then you can order that list as often as you want. they send you the movie at the top of your list (if it is available).

Here's the only problem. If you've been with the service any amount of time over approx 3 months, you are no longer able to rent the biggest and newest movies right after they come out. You may have to wait a couple weeks or a month before you are able to rent it.

They give new people priority. They do that so everyone who is new LOVES the service and tells everyone they know about how great it is.

SandraEllen
09-19-2006, 07:17 AM
I forgot another cool thing. They have movie trailers (previews) of most of the movies they have on there. You can look at a description of the movie and watch that preview and decide if you want to rent it.

Don't try it if you're not a member though. It only works for members.

gimmesanity
09-19-2006, 07:23 AM
We love our Netflix. We've been with them for about 3 years now and I wouldn't trade them in for anything. Their customer service is awesome - we received a scratched dvd on two different occasions and they sent us a new one, no questions asked. They're fast and have a HUGE selection of movies.

I never knew about the whole preference for new people thing...interesting. :?? We usually have so many movies in our queue that we don't even notice when new movies come out until like weeks later, anyways.

lizzitude
09-19-2006, 07:37 AM
We love Netflix too.....we live VERy close to a distribution center and usually get new movies 2 days after we return the old one. It's so wonderful not to have to go to the movie store anymore. The only problem we have is that sometimes the movie we have is not the one we're in the mood to see!

Tammy6071
09-19-2006, 07:40 AM
We had Netflix for a year and the service was great and we always had movies to watch, but we also found that after we had been with them a while it was more difficult to get the newer movies. They would be on our lists for weeks before we were able to get them. We found that we got tired of waiting and would still go to Blockbuster to get the new releases, so we just cancelled Netflix last month. Not that it wasn't a great deal, we just found that we're saving money using them because we were still going to Blockbuster. I guess it depends on how patient you are!

Jax3303
09-19-2006, 07:46 AM
wow- i've never noticed the priority being to new members. I can assure you that's not the case with us, though. :shrug: maybe DH and I are just lucky, we've never had to wait more than 3 days for a new release.

Scathach
09-19-2006, 09:02 AM
We love netflix we cancelled all our extra movie channels. Its definately worth the money. We have been renting from them for a three years and we have had very little problems with the service. Once or twice a disc didn't arrive or arrived very late but its pretty rare from what i can tell. They have a decent selection too.

Friskums
09-19-2006, 09:23 AM
My boyfriend and I have had it for a few months now. We both love it.

We don't have a problem with the new releases or anything, since 1) most of them we're not interested in seeing, and 2) we've got over 200 movies in our queue right now. :rofl:
There's not much of a chance we'll be getting to the new ones before they turn old. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

But yes, it's very much worth it. We haven't had any problems with them at all thus far.

And I really love the comments feature. It helps to read what other people have to say about the movie. My only complaint would probably be that the movie descriptions kind of tend to suck. :P

itsbecca1979
09-19-2006, 09:25 AM
We have it and love it...I'm on a Dark Shadows kick right now and have EVERY SINGLE DVD of it in my queue! :happydance:

kemp
09-19-2006, 09:36 AM
another :thumbsup: for netflix here

feministmama
09-19-2006, 09:37 AM
even if you cancel HBO you can rent all their shows on Netflix like Sopranos or Six Feet Under. Soooooo much cheaper and you can watch at your own pace. :heart: Netflix.

jodstr2
09-19-2006, 10:25 AM
we have it and love it. we have the 3-at-a-time and always have a 2 day turnaround.

JLC
09-19-2006, 10:46 AM
I'm sold! I talked to a woman here at work this morning because I remembered she said that she had signed up for the free trial. She got online and showed me her list and everything. I'm going to sign up for the free trial as soon as I get done on here, and I'll call and cancel the HBO when I get home. Thanks guys!!

WynnieG
09-19-2006, 10:48 AM
Aye, we use Netflix an' love 't. 'tis th' best way t' get British flicks o'er here that I know. I nereminded th' blockbuster delay on accoun' o' so wee o' them interest me. :twisted:

rebecca
09-19-2006, 11:16 AM
We love it, too!!! Lonnie gets lots of music dvds, I do movies and all sorts of shows..love, love!!!

Danielle
09-19-2006, 12:43 PM
I've got netflix. It is the $9.99 package, one movie at a time, unlimited rentals per month. I think the idea of Neflix is great, but the advertisments say that it takes one business day to receive the DVD. Not so for me. It takes 2 days to get a movie, and 2 days for netflix to get it once I send it back. It just goes to Greensboro, which isn't that far from me. By the time I received and sent the DVD back, I was averaging about one a week. I decided to put my account on hold, because I don't have much time to watch DVD's anymore. I may end up cancelling my account eventually. For me, it's easier just to run to the movie store and pick one up. Plus, on mondays they have 99cent rentals, so it is almost cheaper just to do it that way.
JMHO. :D

knitaddict
09-19-2006, 12:53 PM
We've had it for nearly 2 years and we :heart: :heart: :heart: it!!! We have a 4 yo ds and he has his own queue. Anytime he sees a movie he wants to watch, we add it to his list and it comes in his name. We've allotted him 1 movie and we get the other 2 so as soon as I return on of his flicks, he gets a new one automatically. Dh & I were talking the other day about upping our package to the next level. Right now we're at 3 movies at a time, but I watch so many videos at night (dh works nights) that we can't seem to keep them in the house. lol

We live pretty close to a distribution center and our turnover is usually 2 days... if I get the video in the morning pickup, that is. :)

orcoastknitter
09-19-2006, 01:44 PM
I love Netflix. I live in a small town with only 2 small video rental places, so my selection is limited. If I send one in today, it will get there tomorrow and they ship the next one out the same day. I have noticed when I was on a Gilmore Girls marathon they would wait a day before they sent the next one. :?? I don't have satellite in my part of the house (the quiet part). So I use Netflix to watch TV shows like 24, Six Feet Under, CSI, Law & Order, etc. I also have been watching a lot of old classic movies like To Kill a Mockingbird, Whatever Happen to Baby Jane?, Breakfast at Tiffany's, etc.

slgn
09-19-2006, 02:01 PM
I haven't used Netflix but it's in my plans too. I'm gonna downsize the cable (to limited/local) and eventually sign up for the one-at-a-time, unlimited per month. My step-neice uses blockbuster and loves it... I've never been a huge blockbuster fan though (brick & morter anyway). Everyone I know who uses Netflix is very positive about their experience.

Anyway - I wanted to post another idea for yah. Even though I will be using Netflix in the future, I currently use "LibFlix." Okay, that's my made up name for it but I get dvds from my local public library. I place holds and they arrive at my local branch for pick up - which just happens to be across the street from my apartment so I'm super lucky there. It's like Netflix but it's free and you don't get to decide what dvd comes to you next (priorization is limited to none). If you don't mind waiting awhile for the new release, then this is a good option too (knitters are pretty good at playing the Instant vs. Delayed Gratification Game so you'll know if you want to see "new" movies this way or not).

photogirl72
09-19-2006, 04:10 PM
I've used Netflix, but I am using Blockbuster right now. At first I thought that Netflix was better, but now I find I like blockbuster better. Plus you get monthly coupons to rent at the local blockbuster. That way if you don't want to wait, you can run in.

JLC
09-19-2006, 05:12 PM
I signed up this afternoon. It says my first movies are going to ship by Wednesday!!!

I had looked at Blockbuster, too, and I saw that they had coupons for free rentals, but I don't have a Blockbuster near me. I think there's one about 40 minutes away, but that's just too far to travel to rent a movie, even if it's free.

Time to cancel HBO!

mks22300
09-19-2006, 07:57 PM
Another happy Netflix fan here too! :cheering:
I live very close to a distribution center, so I get mine in like a day!

kimmie
09-19-2006, 08:08 PM
I wanted to post another idea for yah. Even though I will be using Netflix in the future, I currently use "LibFlix." Okay, that's my made up name for it but I get dvds from my local public library. I place holds and they arrive at my local branch for pick up - which just happens to be across the street from my apartment so I'm super lucky there. It's like Netflix but it's free and you don't get to decide what dvd comes to you next (priorization is limited to none). If you don't mind waiting awhile for the new release, then this is a good option too (knitters are pretty good at playing the Instant vs. Delayed Gratification Game so you'll know if you want to see "new" movies this way or not).

I second that! I put holds on the DVDs we want to see and get them free at the library. If there is something I MUST see right away then I'll go get it at Blockbuster, but usually I don't need to do that & our movie budget is minimal. I'm all for taking advantage of the local library. Your tax dollars at work :) While your there, check out the great knitting books!

kimmie

mwedzi
09-19-2006, 08:36 PM
Oh, wait, I can talk about Blockbuster.com! Actually, I've had both Netflix and Blockbuster.com and they were pretty comparable for my purposes, but Blockbuster had the cool addition of givng free rentals at their brick and mortar stores. So if you didn't feel like mailing back a movie and waiting for the next one in your queue (which took nearly a week with either Netflix or Blockbuster), then you could use a coupon and rent what you wanted to see right away. I don't have either at the moment, but will sign up again when I have $$ and will go with Blockbuster again.

I'm not surprised to discover priority is given to new customers. You know for both of those services, priority is given to infrequent renters. It's well-known and out in the open that once you reach whatever their cutoff point is (somewhere around 12 movies a month), you are on lower priority for wait lists and what not. But still, I think it's worth it.

Stiney
09-20-2006, 09:49 AM
I've never used Netflix or Blockbuster.com, though I've been meaning to sign up for Netflix.

I do have to say, Blockbuster actual (and most other video stores) memberships are free. And rentals are only what, $5? So even if you have Netflix, you can always run out to Blockbuster if you HAVE to have a movie right away.

Also, yay for the library! I need to get a new card (my last oen is lost & expired) and take advantage of free movies and music.

mwedzi
09-20-2006, 10:05 AM
I do have to say, Blockbuster actual (and most other video stores) memberships are free. And rentals are only what, $5? So even if you have Netflix, you can always run out to Blockbuster if you HAVE to have a movie right away.

Well, true, but you get more than one coupon per month. I can't remember whether you get 2 or 4. But if you get 4 and renting a video is $5, well, if you pay $20 a month for having Netflix and $20 a month for renting videos from a store, now you've spent $40 a month so you can have Netflix and rent from a store. Whereas if you had Blockbuster, you'd only spend $20 for both of those privileges. Just saying that I've had both and I preferred Blockbuster because of that benefit.

Of course that depends on if your Blockbuster is nearby. But when I had one nearby, I used all my free rental coupons. And in addition, you get coupons to buy DVDs at the brick and mortar store at a discount. I'm not sure what's better about Netflix. Someone said that Blockbuster.com used to have fewer movies when it first started, but by the time I joined, at least, I didn't find that to be true for the movies I watched.

itsazoo
09-20-2006, 11:49 AM
I have had Netflix for over a year. I love it. There are no video rental stores nearby so its Netflix or nothing. I think you run into problems getting newer movies when you return them quickly and rack up more movies per month. We don't really care about getting new movies right away so it has been great for us.

Stiney
09-20-2006, 11:51 AM
Well, I meant more for the brick and mortar Blockbuster. I never find anything in Blockbuster anymore when I do want to rent something (just about 100 copies each of 5 movies). I didn't even know you COULD rent through Blockbuster.com until reading this thread.

That being said, I get coupons (that I never use) from Blockbuster for just having a regular membership, so you would still be able to get that benefit.

I also didn't mean for you to regularly use both services...just use an actual video store as an occasional supplement to Netflix. If that makes sense. :)

If you ARE going to use the physical location often, then you shouldn't pay for Netflix.

slgn
09-20-2006, 12:57 PM
<cut> I'm all for taking advantage of the local library... While your there, check out the great knitting books!No Doubt! I also recommend this! I currently have an avalanche-worth-stack of knitting books I've gotten from the public library. That way I only end up buying the books I really want (because I've previewed them) and I'm not disappointed with a book that looked interesting but ends up with little content or errors etc. as sometimes will happen.
[/end hijack]

let us know how the netflix subscription works out JLC

hedgehog
09-20-2006, 01:05 PM
How good is NF for foreign films and British tv programs? I mean, is it all American type films and tv or do they have a diverse mixture of stuff??

-hh

kemp
09-22-2006, 11:30 AM
I just got an email from netflix to offer friends one month for free (their usual trial is 2 weeks). If anyone is interested, just click this link:

http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=80009938&

Cherinec5
09-22-2006, 01:31 PM
I love Netflix, its so easy and convenient(sp?). I also just got an email from them to give a friend 1 month free trial. If anyone is interested PM me and i'll forward the email to you.

JLC
09-22-2006, 01:54 PM
I signed up on Tuesday, movies shipped Wednesday and I got them Thursday. No problems with any of them. So far, so good.

Kirochka
09-22-2006, 02:01 PM
How good is NF for foreign films and British tv programs? I mean, is it all American type films and tv or do they have a diverse mixture of stuff??

-hh

Best thing is to go to netflix.com and search around for what you're interested in. We've gotten British TV and foreign films from them.

itscryttle
09-22-2006, 02:10 PM
I love my Netflix.

We used to go to Blockbuster but we were spending SO much money/week on videos and late fees.

And now there is a distribution center here so the turn around is fairly quick!

knitncook
09-22-2006, 10:43 PM
We tried them for a while but were disappointed in the service. The movies on our "must see list" took forever to get to us. DVD's came scratched and broken sometimes. Turn around time was long even though we lived fairly close to a shipping place. If they are offering a "beginner package" like "so many weeks free or so many weeks half price" or something like that, try it. We ended up dropping our subscription and doing a similar thing through Hollywood video except I have to pick them up, which is fine because it is close to my house and on my way to many of the things that we do each week anyway. Ask some neighbors or other people in your area what their service is like. My best friend lives a few towns over (where there isn't even a Blockbuster) and she has had good service and delivery.