PDA

View Full Version : How many people have made their own needles?? :) ---

shore--alpaca
09-20-2006, 06:06 PM
It's SO easy if you like wooden needles. :) Get a dowel at the hardware/ craft store (the size you want) and sharpen the ends with a pencil sharpener and smooth the end (and whole stick) with sand paper. :) You can (optional) put a coat of varnish for an extra smooth finish. ;) :)

psammeadred
09-20-2006, 06:50 PM
I tried, but couldn't get the needles smooth enough. I'll probably try again one of these days.

mulene
09-20-2006, 08:25 PM
When I took knitting up again in March this year after finding this site; I made my own needles. I followed Amy's video and made a nice bunch of dpns =D

awos1244
09-20-2006, 08:54 PM
A few months ago my SO made me a few sets of beautiful Rosewood DPN's...he also supplied me with a few different grades of sandpaper so I could refine them as much as I needed...also I discovered that plain old waxed paper is great for making the needles slicker...I prefer using it to oiling them.

Chantal

Mo0nAngel
09-20-2006, 08:57 PM
well i haven't made my own needles but I've used chopsticks as knitting needles! :rofl: and continue to use them...i've been thinking about turning them into double pointed ones..

beckyrhae
09-20-2006, 10:38 PM
I havent made full size needles, but I've made cable needles and I love them.

dustinac
09-21-2006, 09:12 AM
I tried it and did use them when I first started.. but now knit only with circs unless they are all filled.. and love my Denises that I blunted them all and let my little girl pretend she is knitting :rofl:

JLC
09-21-2006, 10:32 AM
I have some 10-1/2 dpns that I made when I first started knitting and I still prefer them over the other ones I have. I haven't used them in a long time, though because I think using 2 circs is easier.

cookworm
09-21-2006, 02:25 PM
I just made some DPN's, but I was a bit unhappy with them because even after I sanded them, they still aren't smooth. But I'll try the waxed paper trick and see how that helps! I also made a cable needle that I haven't used yet. You can't go wrong for the price--$8.00 for a set of DPN's, or something like 50 for a dowel rod!

ecb
09-22-2006, 08:55 AM
althought I have not actually MADE a set
I sharpen the ends of broken needles so I di not have to throw them away
every knit with a 2.5" DPN size 3? (sorry, actually measured it last night)

its TOUGH, but I can make it work out for me

ecb

redwitch
09-22-2006, 09:52 PM
I actually made some yesterday because I needed the less common 8 mm dpns for stripes. All I needed was cheap dowel, pencil sharpener/knife, and sandpaper. Many people oil their needles but I am a bit wary - will it be absorbed by the wool? I used 80 and 1200 grit sandpaper. I think any sandpaper above 1000 grit will make them smooth but get the highest grit you can. I also hear that very fine steel wool makes them smooth. Some people polyurethane/varnish theirs - this tends to be the ones who paint theirs I think. If you paint them leave the pointy ends bare where you'll be knitting with them. Some people make Fimo ends or glue on beads or buttons. They look great to match the paint - check out this thread http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=25372.0 with some fantastic photos.

redwitch
09-22-2006, 09:55 PM
I actually made some yesterday because I needed the less common 8 mm dpns for stripes. All I needed was cheap dowel, pencil sharpener/knife, and sandpaper. Many people oil their needles but I am a bit wary - will it be absorbed by the wool? I used 80 and 1200 grit sandpaper. I think any sandpaper above 1000 grit will make them smooth but get the highest grit you can. I also hear that very fine steel wool makes them smooth. Some people polyurethane/varnish theirs - this tends to be the ones who paint theirs I think. If you paint them leave the pointy ends bare where you'll be knitting with them. Some people make Fimo ends or glue on beads or buttons. They look great to match the paint - check out this thread http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=25372.0 with some fantastic photos.

redwitch
09-22-2006, 11:23 PM

redwitch
09-22-2006, 11:27 PM

redwitch
09-22-2006, 11:34 PM

shore--alpaca
09-23-2006, 04:40 AM
p.s. dip needles in carnauba wax (wipe off thoroughly!) really helps smooth them. ;)

nadja la claire
09-23-2006, 10:50 AM
When I first started knitting I made 8s, 10.5s, and 11s in cables, dpns, 10"ers and 14"ers, but I only use the dpns and the cables now because I :heart: my circs.

Nadja xxx

photogirl72
09-24-2006, 11:45 PM
I've made my own as well. I used glass marbles for the toppers, stained them with white wood stain and sealed them with a polyurithane type sealer. I would use them more often, but I made them a little to long. I am thinking about knocking the marbles off and shortening them down to 11 inches or less. Then I'll glue the marbles back on. Hmmm... yes, I think I am going to do that, otherwise I'll never use them.

Rennagayle
09-26-2006, 11:32 AM
I've made several sets. I find it interesting how dark the ones look that I first made in comparison to how light colored the recent ones I've made are. I guess the older, darker, ones have absorbed the oil from my hands; though I am always careful to wash my hands before I begin knitting (to keep the yarn clean). In comparison, my older ones look as if they've been stained, and yet they have all been made from the same type dowels which are a light colored wood.

I love being able to make my own. I'm cheap, and love saving money wherever I can. I do occasionally have to go back and do a little more sanding, but I can always eventually get them like I like them. I hadn't thought of using waxed paper. I appreciate :thumbsup: that tip!

shore--alpaca
09-27-2006, 09:13 PM
So... what's the best way to help smooth your homemade wooden needles? (after sanding)? wax? or? is there a sealant that's great? :)

Doublereeder2
09-29-2006, 12:18 PM
I have made cable needles and find that wax paper works well. I have also used beeswax and buffed like mad for a nice smooth finish (my preference).

photogirl72
09-29-2006, 12:21 PM
So... what's the best way to help smooth your homemade wooden needles? (after sanding)? wax? or? is there a sealant that's great? :)

You know, I never ran into a problem with that, but I'm used to metal smithing, so I used finer and finer grit sandpaper until the wood felt like it was smoother than store bought ones.