PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED!!!Attempt at teaching....

letah75
09-26-2006, 02:34 AM
Hi all,

I am very excited, because I am going to attempt to teach someone to knit. The girls are considered a "troubled teen", and I am going to teach them to knit.

Not only that but I told the owner of a local shop about it and she gave me.....get this.....about 50 skeins of chenille for the girls. I have some cotton for them to practice on, then when they are a little more comfortable, I am going to give them the chenille, and let them make some scarves!!!!!

I am sooooooooooooo excited!!!!!!!!!!

Shandeh
09-26-2006, 03:15 AM
Wow! That's a great thing! I KNOW you're excited. I certainly would be.

Good luck! :happydance:

Mama Bear
09-26-2006, 04:57 AM
What a great way to reach out and share some confidence and ability.

Mama Bear

fluffypechey
09-26-2006, 06:41 AM
How wonderful!! The girls will always remember that, the person to teach them to knit. You will be so proud when you have taught them, they will be proud to be able to do it. Its something they will have for the rest of their lives. The ability to knit, how wonderful.

The store owner was so kind also she deserves a pat on the back.

Good Luck and best wishes to the girls.

:hug: Sharon
I just taught my two neices to knit. It was a great feeling.

SabrinaJL
09-26-2006, 09:47 AM
That's cool. I'd love to teach someone to knit but I don't know anyone who wants to learn. I can't even get my own kid to learn it.

mwedzi
09-26-2006, 11:02 AM
That's so cool. I bet it will be fun. I just taught someone to cast on and knit last week. Next lesson is how to purl and bind off. Might I suggest something with a little more elasticity than pure cotton? Even the cheap acrylic is easier to knit than cotton.[/i]

fluffypechey
09-26-2006, 11:34 AM
That's cool. I'd love to teach someone to knit but I don't know anyone who wants to learn. I can't even get my own kid to learn it.

arh thats so sad. Can't you find a kid somewhere? Next door? Down the street??
You could always blackmail them with sweets :roflhard: :roflhard:

Stiney
09-26-2006, 11:36 AM
Hey kid, want some yarn? It's really soft...just get in my car...

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Holly
09-26-2006, 11:58 AM
:shock: OMG ...I would soooo get in that car!! :roflhard: :roflhard:

What method are you planning on teaching? I'm teaching my friend next week, and I'm torn about teaching continental (that I use) vs. english. I think english is easier to learn, but she'd be better off with continental in the long run (IMHO). Do you plan on teaching cast on first, or just cast on for them and get right to the knit stitch?

I did pick up a beautiful hank of chunky, hand died wool and some nice wood needles for a gift for her...I'm going to suck her in with great asthetics :thumbsup:

rebecca
09-26-2006, 12:15 PM
How exciting!!!! That is so wonderful! A truly wonderful way to reach out to these girls, WTG!!! I wish you loads of luck :cheering:

aineepooh1
09-26-2006, 03:34 PM
How cool is that to get the opportunity.
I do agree that chenille is tough becasue as a beginner I tried it until my hands felt they were going to fall off..
I think bulky/superbulky acrylic is a great idea... it made it much easier for me as a beginnerIMHO
:cheering: :cheering:

merryknitter
09-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Can I come too? I am so excited about learning how to knit...I can't stand it! October 12th seems like a long way off!

This is such an amazing site...I keep reading all your posts and I can't wait till I can post a picture of an FO! You are all so creative, coming up with your own patterns and sharing all your tips and ideas...I hope you're ready for all my questions...lol!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/merry384/Knitting/bigknit.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/merry384/Name%20Siggies%206/MerryHarvestBracelet.gif

SabrinaJL
09-26-2006, 04:40 PM
Maybe I'll just go knocking on random doors, asking if there's anybody in the house that might like to learn to knit. I'm sure that won't get me branded as the neighborhood weirdo or any such thing. :roflhard:

My brother's girlfriend expressed interest in learning to knit, but she's about as smart as a box of rocks, and I don't know if I could take spending all that time with her.

aineepooh1
09-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Sabrina
Please tell us what you REALLY think.. I mean don't be bashful!!! :roflhard: :roflhard:

fluffypechey
09-26-2006, 05:41 PM
Sabrina really :oops: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:
That smart you are saying :teehee:

Anastasia Beaverhausen
09-26-2006, 06:43 PM
That's such a cool thing for you to do! Awwwww! :)

cheesiesmom
09-26-2006, 07:43 PM
I don't know how familiar you are with working with teens, but...

Don't be disappointed if they don't accept this whole thing with open arms.
I was a Girl Scout leader when my DD was young and it's taken literally years to get any feedback that was positive.

So, even if the little monsters....er, I mean darlings...don't seem too recepitive immediately, in the long run you'll be giving them something that is irreplaceable. Not to mention the fact that SOMEONE!! has taken the time to care about them. Trust me, they'll remember and be greatful, even if they never tell you that to your face.

Good Luck and bless you for taking on such a project.

Jaxhil
09-27-2006, 07:54 AM
That is a really cool thing to do! I hope it goes wonderfully, for all of you!

And even if they don't get all excited about it now, (it's hard for me to imagine, lol) it'll still make an impression-and someday they might come back to it and they'll always remember who it was who taught them.

I have 3 boys, and my DD is only 3, and I have tried to teach them but so far they don't seem all that interested. :??

Good luck!

knotmaker
09-27-2006, 08:56 AM
Be nice now ... I'm sure she gives 100% :roflhard:

I have been teaching my 6 yo daughter how to knit, this past weekend we moved on from just the "knit" stitch and I shoudl her how to purl. :?? this may take a little longer to grasp. I just have to remember she is only 6 :heart:

Good luck with your class ... I find it fun to teach her.

letah75
09-27-2006, 01:11 PM
I don't know how familiar you are with working with teens, but...

Don't be disappointed if they don't accept this whole thing with open arms. ......So, even if the little monsters....er, I mean darlings...don't seem too recepitive immediately, in the long run you'll be giving them something that is irreplaceable. Not to mention the fact that SOMEONE!! has taken the time to care about them. Trust me, they'll remember and be greatful, even if they never tell you that to your face.

Good Luck and bless you for taking on such a project.

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

He he, I actually work with teenagers, and definately know how they can be!!! In the field I work, it is definately a 'no thanks' job, but I love it.

I prefer to work with that population of kids, even though often times they would not prefer to work with me. :shrug:

These girls are actually excited about learning to knit. Hopefully I'm up to the task.

I think I am going to show them how to cast on themselves (long tail method). Get them used to the knit stitch, then later the purl stitch. I've never taught anyone before so it'll be an experience for all!

letah75
10-18-2006, 11:47 AM
Ok, so we had our first class last week. I brought in a few different projects, some finished, some in need of sewing in ends, and some half finished. All of the projects were made with different yarn types and sizes. I also showed them what garter stitch, stockinette stitch, and an easy pattern that incorported knitting, purling, slipping and yarn overs looked like. We talked a little bit about the differences in the knit and purl stitch.

I let them look at and touch the different projects, telling them about the differences in the yarn types and what they do (stretchy or not, feltable or not, etc.)

Then we looked at different needles, plastic, metal, bamboo, straight, circular, double pointed, 12" and 24", etc. They felt all of the needles and we discussed the diffent pros and cons of the needle types. I let them decide which needle (straight) they wanted to start with.

Now the reason I started this way is I thought later on, when it's time to start more ambitious knitting, they would have already had contact (albiet limited) with different needles.

Then we cast on. I taught them the long tail cast on, because it takes a bit to master, but once you do, (at least for me) the other methods are easy. I figure start with something a little challanging, then they pick up everything else quickly. It took about 10 minutes but it went really well. We cast on 15 stitches and proceeded to knit. After everyone had knit 10 rows (enough to see their tension and stuff) I had everyone switch neeldles. 10 more rows then switch until you got back to your original knitted swatch.

This way everyone got to work with different needles (everyone was knitting with Caron Simply Soft), and could see how they felt and knitted. Everyone could also see, that everyone has their own knitting way to them. Some knit tighter, some looser, etc.

It went really well, and they took home yarn and needles to practice with. My supervisor is really excited about this program, and I have at least one new kid coming this Friday. I CANT WAIT!!!!

They are all extreamly proud of themselves. And I have gotten a couple of calls from my kids telling me they can't wait until Friday for our knitting group.

This week, the purl stitch!!!!!!