PDA

View Full Version : Scarves and colorwork/stranding

slgn
09-26-2006, 04:42 PM
Hi all,

Looking for your valuable thoughts on colorwork/stranding on scarves. I will be making a scarf soon that the main body is one color but will have a symbol on each end with two additional colors. The yarn is a worsted weight so I don't want to doubleknit or tube it (flattened tube) to cover the back. I know I could line the back with a fabric but I'm not really excited about this idea either. I'm thinking of just leaving it natural (stranding and all visable on WS).

Does this make me lazy or sloppy? Do y'all line or doubleknit items like scarves that single-sided-ness show? What are your thoughts or solutions on this? It is entirely possible I'm overthinking this :) but I appreciate your thoughts all the same.

TIA
- Sue

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-26-2006, 07:19 PM
I, personally, have never knit a 2 color scarf with stranding.

My concern, is that if you are doing it flat in stockinette, not only will you have the strands hanging out the back, it will also curl up because that is the nature of stockinette stitch. That being so, it might be really EASY to stitch it into a tube, if you change your mind and decide to do that. Scarves "like" to have reversible sides, because when you wear it the wrapping makes both sides visable, so that's another thing to consider.

CateKnits
09-26-2006, 07:22 PM
If the colorwork is only on the ends, you could knit extra of the single color on each end, fold it over, and sew it so that it's only doubled where the color section is. :shrug:

Ingrid
09-26-2006, 09:47 PM
If the colorwork is only on the ends, you could knit extra of the single color on each end, fold it over, and sew it so that it's only doubled where the color section is. :shrug:

That was my thought, too. If you do intarsia or stranding, the back, well, looks like a back.

You could, if you felt ambitious, make two symbols--one for the front of the scarf, a few rows plain with a purl row for folding, and then another symbol. Fold it and sew it and no matter where the scarf ends land, you'd see your symbol.

slgn
09-27-2006, 12:05 PM
ooohhhhhhhhh I like the double-symbol idea.

Last night I thought of doubling the ends as CateKnit suggested. I had also thought about somehow doubleknitting the ends (tube at ends) but hadn't worked out how to make those extra stitches & have it work well. I think elongating the scarf and folding over as CK & Ingrid suggest is a great idea.

I just wasn't excited about doubleknittting the whole scarf as worsted weight it would probably get pretty heavy, warm yes but heavier than necessary. Of course if I had to DK, then I could order more yarn.... ;) Also I've seen where folks have lined their scarves with fabric and that just doesn't thrill me (EX: link +click DIY (http://www.itsbyerin.com/) for Om scarf). It's not bad but I just don't love it.

Thanks you guys. I think folding over the ends may be the ticket!

SandraEllen
09-27-2006, 12:13 PM
so you talking about double knitting reminded me of a tutorial Amy has on here for double knitting (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/). Sroll down the page about 1/2 way.
Where you knit with 2 different colors and it doesn't look stranded. you get one color on one side and the design in the opposite colors on the other. I've never tried it, but it might work...

horve1
09-27-2006, 12:18 PM
Just throwing this out there - I don't think you'd really want to do it, (I know I wouldn't) - but maybe Ingrid or someone has done this and could comment:
At the local fiber festival I went to recently, the winning afghan was knit with the strands going HALF through the stitches between colors so they were amazingly invisible on the back.
Has anyone done this? Is it as impossible as it sounds/looked?

slgn
09-27-2006, 12:20 PM
exactly SE!

I was thinking 'tube' with back still being one/main color but yes real DK (switching yarns for two faces) is also an option. I just didn't want to carry it through the whole scarf and you need double the stitches (whether you knit an open tube or a regular [closed] DK). Starting with double the stitches for one end and k2tog or something would be one thing but suddenly doubling stitches at the last end - while possible - doesn't seem like the best or easiest way to cover that stranding. It's
do-able but I think elongating the scarf and folding over the edges would be a lot less trouble (and maybe better looking with the trouble?).

ETA (RE: horve1) - knitting half thorough the stitches :?? I'm not visualizing but maybe someone who has done it can explain? (which is my way of saying "Sounds interesting but I think I broke my brain")

horve1
09-27-2006, 12:22 PM
Just throwing this out there - I don't think you'd really want to do it, (I know I wouldn't) - but maybe Ingrid or someone has done this and could comment:
At the local fiber festival I went to recently, the winning afghan was knit with the strands going HALF through the stitches between colors so they were amazingly invisible on the back.
Has anyone done this? Is it as impossible as it sounds/looked?

Ingrid
09-27-2006, 10:37 PM
:?? I think I'd need to see a picture to even get an idea of what was done. Double knitting???

SandraEllen
09-27-2006, 11:03 PM
:?? I think I'd need to see a picture to even get an idea of what was done. Double knitting???

You knit with 2 colors and do a k1, p1. All the knits make one side of the design and all of the purls make the other side of the design. check out amy's video under Advanced Techniques.

It looks like the yarn stays on its own side (front or back) except for where it changes color. It looks like Amy pulls apart a larger solod color section in the video.

crazy. Makes me want to watch the whole project on my cds.