PDA

View Full Version : OT: Has anyone brought knitting needles in the plane lately?

melissa.atkins
09-27-2006, 04:06 PM
Hi,

I know this has been said before... but I was wondering if someone has brought knitting needles in the plane lately... with all the security checks I was wondering if we can still bring them. :??

I am leaving tomorrow to Cabo in Mexico and it is a long flight, on the way back I have a 5 hour layover in Dallas( :wall: )... will miss my needles!!!

RachelJean
09-27-2006, 04:21 PM
I flew from New York to California and back in August - right after the scare over bringing liquids on a plane. I had no problem at all with my bamboo DPN's. However, they did confiscate my deodorant .... :shrug:

janie
09-27-2006, 04:31 PM
I brought my bamboo needles two weeks ago on a trip. No questions.

melissa.atkins
09-27-2006, 04:58 PM
Thank you!!

I will bring just the Irish Hiking Scarf that I am working on, enough yarn for at least a couple of them though... ;)

Hope it is fine... :pray:

GigiGirl
09-27-2006, 05:28 PM
Here is the link to the TSA website where they keep the list of everything that is permitted and Prohibited on flights.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#4

According to the list, knitting needles and crochet hooks are both permitted in carry-on and checked luggage. How these are less dangerous than my husband's gel shoe inserts, I am not certain (well other than the smell. :rofl:

Have a great flight and a wonderful vacation!

ecuzzacrea
09-27-2006, 06:19 PM
I just flew from Seattle to Vegas and back. I had a 42" Addi circ in some socks and they never said a thing. I also had small blunt nose scissors. No problems either way.

mulene
09-27-2006, 07:39 PM
My brother arrived here in the UK on Sunday from Sydney - he flew via LA and New York. He arrived, and his bag has gone for a very long walk to goodness only knows where.

Since 10 August when it kicked off here at Heathrow again, they have lost thousands of bags - they have been unable to cope with the additional security.

Here, you can not take anything on board at the moment - even baby's milk has to be drunk in front of officials to prove that it does not contain a liquid bomb. Everything has to be packed into the main bags.

Personally I wouldn't risk bringing my options, addi's, little sister set or denise on a plane. I'd be happy to take my boye set tho and pack it if they required me to do so - if the bag went AWOL then I wouldn't be crying my heart out for the lost gorgeous tools and only be shrugging at the lost ok tools =P

I know that British Airways has a policy across the board that has been in place for several years now that no knitting needles are to be taken in the cabin. I did read something about it upsetting other passengers to see people knitting ( :?? :wall: ) and they classed it in the same category as allowing people to smoke on a plane but not smoke cigars. Of course smoking was banned.

Perhaps they think if they allow knitting they will have to allow quilters on with portable battery operated sewing machines or something...

Eloewien
09-27-2006, 08:48 PM
JUST got home 10 mins ago from a flight from Denver to Charlotte. Not a problem. Had 4 or 5 sets of circs too :) They allow drinks bought on the airport now too!

melissa.atkins
09-28-2006, 08:19 AM
I am getting ready to leave to the airport... hope it is fine bringing my neddles... :pray:

Buckeyeknitter
09-28-2006, 09:59 AM
I have flown several times in the US recently and have not had a problem - with dp bamboo and straight and metal circulars. They did take away a kids pair of scissors which I could not figure out but wasn't too upset about. I would be lost without my knitting on the plane

Pam

Doublereeder2
09-29-2006, 12:10 PM
Flying from the US seems to be fine, but flying out of Mexico was not - they made me put my knitting in the suitcase to be checked.