PDA

View Full Version : Wish me Luck! First time selling....

VictoiseC
09-28-2006, 12:57 PM
Oh boy. I'm doing my first "arts & crafts" festival this Saturday the 30th.
It's in Delhi, NY and called the Harvest Festival.

I'm kind of nervous. I have NO IDEA how to price stuff, it's so difficult when you spend 3 days on a beaded hat. At first I thought $30, then $45 then my husband walks by and says "That's beautiful! Charge $65!" Well.
Will someone pay $65 for a hat in Delhi, NY? In New York City yes, but... this is the country.

Anyhoo. I have a bunch of great looking cell phone holders made out of beautiful wools. Scarves and hats.

Wish me luck! :teehee:

happyknitter613
09-28-2006, 02:07 PM
Hello,

Best of luck to you at the fair! Please let us know how it goes.

I completely understand about the struggle with setting prices on handmade items. I design and create hand-stamped greeting cards, and although they are hand made, they often are much nicer than the Hallmark versions which can sell for an outrageous amount! I say go for charging the higher price - at least at the start of the fair. If you find that the items aren't selling, you could always reduce the prices. I think someone who is aware of how much time (and love!) went into creating something would be willing to pay the higher price.

Smiles,
Christianne

Stiney
09-28-2006, 02:22 PM
And always be ready to bargain, if it's reasonable!

Ingrid
09-28-2006, 02:45 PM
Good luck!!! :muah:

jodstr2
09-28-2006, 02:46 PM
:cheering: good luck and have fun! :cheering:

AnreeAce
09-28-2006, 02:59 PM
:muah:

Best of luck!

CarmenIbanez
09-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Do give us a full report. I'm so excited for you! Take some pics of you there selling stuff!

aineepooh1
09-28-2006, 03:30 PM
Yes, yes, yes,
Pictures please!! :cheering: :cheering:

Mama Bear
09-28-2006, 03:53 PM
Good luck and HAVE fun! One friend I have not only sells at craft shows, but she often goes around and trades her stuff for things she would like that other vendors have. So if you see something you would like, you could always make that offer too. She does her Christmas shopping this way.

Mama Bear

mks22300
09-28-2006, 06:39 PM
Good luck!

fluffypechey
09-28-2006, 10:11 PM
Wishing you all the luck in the world. Sorry cant help with pricing because I am the other side of the 'pond'.
Looking forward to seeing pictures.
You must be so excited and probably stressed :hug:
I am sure your stuff is beautiful and people will stampede your stall. Please take photos of your stall.

Have fun too!! Dont get too stressed. Delegate the work (to your hubby).

I am excited for you too.
Have a wonderful day ok?

:muah: Sharon

mintdee
09-28-2006, 10:20 PM
I have always been told to start high and the allow a little bargaining room. But in your mind set a limit to how low you will go and stick to it. :hug: Have fun!

psammeadred
09-28-2006, 11:03 PM
Lots of luck to you, so you can buy more knitting treats! :cheering:

VictoiseC
09-29-2006, 01:30 PM
:hug: :muah:

THANKS THANKS THANKS!!!!!

Ohhh you all make me feel soo good. Yeah my fingers are about to fall off, I've been finishing stuff that's been laying around for months and I'M SICK OF IT. Can't wait to get back to knitting for me me me.

I will take some pix. And that's good advice about bargaining (although I hate to I guess I'd better do it) and delegating to the hubhub dear dh.
Wish I had a girlfriend or daughter to sit there with me but oh well, maybe I'll make some new friends....

thank you all so much! P.S. On the way out of my building the lady who sits on the steps with her dog saw me dragging all my bags, I showed her a hat and she like immediately said she wanted two made for Christmas, AND some scarves and a cell phone holder... ha, my first order BEFORE the show. Sounds like a lot of work all of a sudden.
:pout:

fluffypechey
09-29-2006, 04:37 PM
Your poor fingers lets hope you make so much money it makes it worthwhile. I am sure after the lady who saw what you had and wanted to order you will do just fine.

Don't do what I would do though......come home with tons of stuff I bought off other stalls :roflhard: On second thoughts you deserve it. Buy what you want as a treat for all your work.

I wish I could come with you and sit beside you. I love doing things like that. Before I became disabled I was a sales lady so I am good at closing a deal :teehee: .

I really am wishing you all the best and will keep my fingers crossed for you. Enjoy the day because you have put so much hard work into it. Buy some beautiful wool and knit yourself something fabulous when you are rested.

Fingers crossed and we NEED photos so dont forget will you :hug:
I will be thinking about you and sending you good positive vibes. Dont let people try and get something for nothing. You know what people can be like with the haggling.

Dont forget the photos.

:muah: From Sharon xx

skNYC
09-29-2006, 05:59 PM
First you have to label your stuff: "one of a kind in this whole world handy craft", then mark the price for $120.00, then use a red pen to cross it out, label it "On Sale" for $65.00

Good luck!

fluffypechey
09-29-2006, 09:15 PM
First you have to label your stuff: "one of a kind in this whole world handy craft", then mark the price for $120.00, then use a red pen to cross it out, label it "On Sale" for $65.00

Good luck!

Love that idea!!! :cheering:

:hug: Sharon