PDA

View Full Version : Weird stitches?

cookworm
09-30-2006, 12:42 AM
I've only been knitting for 2 years, so I don't expect to be an expert, but...why does it seem like whatever I knit has a weird stitch or two in the project? Does this happen to everyone, no matter how careful you are with the pattern and your tension? Will it ever get better? Will blocking help to fix the weird stitches? I'm kind of frustrated by this. :wall: It makes me feel like a little kid that got into her mom's knitting bag! :( I also feel kind of bummed by it, like I shouldn't be "allowed" to wear anything I make out in public. I mean, I know there's no "knitting police", but are people looking at my stuff thinking, "What an amateur!"? Help!

suzeeq
09-30-2006, 01:01 AM
`Weird', how? Too loose, twisted, what?

sue

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-30-2006, 01:01 AM
It happens to me, too. I think it's from changing tension in the middle of a project, or not paying attention... or trying to fix a mistake, but doing it incorrectly...

If it's just one or two stitches that's a mistake you can try dropping the stitch in that column and picking it up correctly...

cookworm
09-30-2006, 01:03 AM
`Weird', how? Too loose, twisted, what?

It's hard to say...they just look kind of weird. Maybe a little bit loose; not twisted though.

Incidentally, if you had a twisted stitch on your needle and didn't realize it, and knitted it but never fixed it, would that one stitch be twisted, or would every stitch in that subsequent row be twisted the wrong way?

Lieke
09-30-2006, 02:25 AM
only that stich will be twisted.

I don't know what you mean by weird. Maybe you can post a picture of it?

Ingrid
09-30-2006, 09:04 AM
Sometimes the yarn may have a 'blip' in it that causes a wierd stitch. I had that problem with some alpaca I used. They stitck out like a sore thumb to be, but I doubt anyone else is going to notice (or care.) :shrug:

It could be, too, that you accidentally knit into the stitch below the one you were supposed to.