PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible?

cookworm
09-30-2006, 03:00 AM
I hope this isn't a dumb question. :oops: Is it possible to knit a handkerchief--not the edging (like a tatting), but the actual handkerchief itself? I know it's not going to be something that's effective for blowing a nose in :rofl: , but it would be more of a keepsake item, say something that could be given to a bride on her wedding day; something like that.

Has anybody done this? If so, what kind of stitches did you use? What kind of technique did you use?

Mama Bear
09-30-2006, 06:47 AM
You could do a lace handkerchief. Some very fine silk, rayon, tencel, or a combination of those would work well, as would a very soft wool.

There are many pattern that would adapt to this (anything you could knit in a square or whatever shape you want). I think something with a celtic knot in the middle or around the edges might be lovely.

At the bottom of the page on [url=http://www.earthheartdesigns.com/Earth%20Heart%20pages/Patterns/All%20Patterns/D&F_shawl.htm]this pattern[url] they show a photo and mention how you can take the shawl pattern and use a small part of it, edge it and use it as a bride's handkerchief.

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Oh... any stitch pattern book, Barbara Walker, the Vogue Stitchionary, whatever... could help you find ideas.

Mama Bear

cookworm
09-30-2006, 11:30 AM
Thanks Mama Bear--these are great!!! :heart: